00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Review Scores

40,457 Views | 444 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 07:07:00

its a good idea but maybe lower the amount of boxes and only keep the ones that are used the most?that could help,right?

I'd put something witty here, but that would be pointless and unoriginal.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 07:21:14

Sounds good. Saves alot of hassle and I'm sick of getting reviews that are based entirely on the catagorys ("ZO, EYE GAVE U A 0 INN MUZIK CUZE IT SUX BUTT INN VILENCE I GIVE U AE 10 LOLZ HE GUT HIZ HEED BLUWN UPP")

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 07:23:12

I think you should leave all of them, but make it optional to do all of the categories. Some movies may be funny, and you want to vote in that category, and some may be voilent, and you want to vote in that category.

VG Trivia Challenge

Expert's Guide to NG

Sig made mainly with Cooltext.com

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 07:48:00

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Thoughts?

I've always thought violence and interactivity are an unecessary categories for reviewing. Graphics, sound and humour are the categories I like. But if it was just an overall score on reviews, that would be ok except I wouldn't know how much the reviewer found my flash funny, unless they said so. The categories like humour do tell me what the person thought about the humour of the flash most of the time.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 08:09:04

- Graphics
- Originality
- Style
- Duration
- Overall

Thats for the Movies. Games can use something like it.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 08:30:19

Make it standard that you don't have to fill those extra fields in (so that it would just display N/A or something) and that then just the overall score needs to be filled in.
Seems alot simpler to me, and would definately generate more reviews.

"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. " - Unknown

[ FluxBB developer | Quickmarks 0.5.1 | Strings & Ints - my blog ]

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 09:19:11

Well, i think it's a good idea, cuz some ppl just dun know what to do with it, i use all the review scores, but sometimes it's anoying to see someone who post a review and put 10 to all scores(Just cuz the movie is nice), even if it is not a game it got 10 interactivity or 10 to humor to some freaky emo movie... :oS

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 09:21:38

One single score out of ten.

I like that idea alot more than the current system. Alot of times flash I review gets 0s in certain categories just because they don't apply to it.

"Some kilometers SOUTH of Dublin, under more control of

the IRA, there is a vast farmland. I'm SUPER cereal"

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 09:22:27

I think we should make it even more simple. We should get rid of the title, and the review writing space, and get rid of all the categories including overall. And we can just give the reviewers a happy face, or a sad face to choose between.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 09:27:26

I think it's a good idea. All the criterias is one of the reasons that I almost never writes reviews.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 09:29:23

It'll stop people from giving all 0's P:

Sounds like a good idea to me.
You would still be able to rate them like that in your actually review too.
So, no real problem.

The change would be good :D

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 09:44:39

Don't forget that these also are some sort of indication to what you should be basing the review on. If you do remove them have some sort of nod to them, like 'Base your reviews on bla bla bla'

Else I can imagine itd get quite simple, just based on whether the user liked it or not.

WEBSITE

BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~

NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 09:48:37

Keep them like they are.

Sure sometimes not all the options are used but most of the time they work fine.

You can look at the seven scroll bars and get a good idea what the flash is like.
leave them be.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 10:04:16

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Scores and shit

We could make do without the indivisual scores but then again, some dedicated users like myself might miss that system. I think the violence is there to make Newgrounds Newgrounds.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 10:12:41

Personally I think you should make that you can decide how you vote, just a overall score and all the subscores. And if you vote with the subscores you can get XP for your account. This will encourage users to leave better comments on the site, what will result in better flash movies and games. Because of all the comments and tips and help from the reviews also other users will make a profit of them.

Well ya, good luck with Newgrounds.
Regards, Lil Fugitive

Ruining your life since 2006

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 10:24:32

tom flup wrote
lol

Yeah, fight features. Simplify it down to a single score thing.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 10:26:31

i think it's a good idea as most people don't bother with the scores and put all 10 or all 0

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 10:38:55

At 10/12/06 08:41 AM, Bodhi wrote: I think you should keep them but keep them optional, let their default be N/A and people can choose for themself wether or not to use them, they need to change though, maybe to something like this:

Art
Animation
Sound
Style
Entertainment
Originality

yeah, that sounds good. I just would not use Originality

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 10:47:25

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: It doesn't seem like anyone is really looking at the individual scores and they aren't being put to use elsewhere, so we're leaning towards just having the single OVERALL score. Instead of dealing with seven dropdown boxes, you can just write your review and pick a single number between 1 and 10 to represent your final opinion.

Thoughts?

The individual scores can help a person decide what it is that needs the most
improvement when he/she makes another flash. It can also help to underscore
that it is that reviewers really liked about a given flash. I've noticed that the
written portion of reviews often are not very helpful in that respect-- many reviews
are "that rocked" or "that sucked", and in the latter case often without really
making any effort to explain what the reviewer thinks needs to be improved.

"They are an inquisitive race, always anxious to pry into other mens' lives, but never ready to correct their own." -Augustine of Hippo

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 10:52:24

I'd definately keep the scores for Graphics, Style and Sound. Particularly sound. There's something really satisfying about giving someone a 0 in sound because they didn't bother to stream or optimise it. Violence and humour are a little too specific, as is interactivity to a lesser extent (although I really like giving high scores in that to instances of good coding application), but you should keep the scores for things which can apply to all submissions (or at least to most).

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 10:55:39

Keep "Graphics" "Sound" And "Style"

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 10:57:19

Best Idea I have seen Ever

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 10:57:19

Sounds good to me.Might make it easier to write a reveiw.

wooooooooooooo

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 11:04:18

K, so you probably wont listen to me but anyway. My two cents:
Style
Originality
Graphics
Overall

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 11:07:01

At 10/12/06 11:04 AM, fuzz wrote: Originality

I have a serious problem with this one. It's just my opinion, but people who vote stuff down on the grounds of stuff like originality or plot generally aren't giving their own views, but the views that they think they should have if they want to look smart. Originality is great and wonderful, but it doesn't rank up with the actuall skill with which something is executed when coming up with a score. The same for plot or story too.

Scriptwriting, on the other hand...

P

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 11:19:06

this is a great idea .if you only had to vote on overall then it would save alot of time and users would be able to review more submisions.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 11:23:29

At 10/12/06 11:19 AM, ssjmg wrote: this is a great idea .if you only had to vote on overall then it would save alot of time and users would be able to review more submisions.

Not really. Well, not even slightly. There's still that automated message which comes up and belittles you for being intelligent enough to articulate your opinions of a game in less than ten minutes since the last review. Much more review time is lost to that.

Anyway, the scores take no time at all to fill out, especially in comparison with the time it takes to type out what you want to say.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 11:23:45

At 10/12/06 11:07 AM, Paranoia wrote:

also i think games should have technicality or something similar.
Movies should be rated on a scale of 1-1337

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 11:25:17

At 10/12/06 08:30 AM, elbekko wrote: Make it standard that you don't have to fill those extra fields in (so that it would just display N/A or something) and that then just the overall score needs to be filled in.
Seems alot simpler to me, and would definately generate more reviews.

I really like that Idea. So you can vote very specific, if you want to, but you don't have to.
Those numbers sometimes give me a good overview over the flash or the thoughts of the reviewer - but sometimes it is really hard to put a movie or game into categories.

So I like the idea making the standard-value N/A and leaving the option to rate in very specifics fields for people like me that want to.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 11:26:20

At 10/11/06 04:36 PM, RupeeClock wrote:
At 10/11/06 04:35 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: i like that idea Tom its faster instead of having 7 boxes which is such a drag.
Jesus, it's called being lazy to not give any thought about the other catagories.

The only thing they're good for though is the top 10 catagories, they're essentially useless, I say ditch them.

I mean, a lot of the time people just shove all 10s into a review, it's stupid.

no actually its not called being lazy its called being rational. or whatever the word is. there is really no point to the subcategory boxes. frankly its just easier to drop 'em.