00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Mrmclovin112 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Review Scores

40,605 Views | 444 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 17:55:47

Hmm, I was going to say that some of the drop down boxes are needed to help the creator improve but I suppose something like audio can be explained in a review reather than rating it to help the artist. I've always felt that interactivity was annoying since its a very hard thing to rate and you have to give 0 if its a standard movie.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 17:56:41

Sure, it's useless(sp?) having a interactivity drop down box when over 50% of NG's flash content is movies...

IT WAS ALL A DREAM.

Thank you CagedSilhoutte for the sexy ass sig!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:00:22

I think you should keep them!
They're better than just overall but it does mean the people have to put more effort into their reviews.

Gamertag: BlackFlameNG Xbox 360 Club

Gamerscore: 25,275- last updated 23/February/09

Steam ID: BlackFlameNG

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:04:11

no, i don't like change... i mean are they really so bad that they need to be changed? is it really a problem?

x

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:08:46

The idea of one score is not good. I dislike seeing stuff like that. I'm all for a simplification or more broad terms (like, for instance, IGN's ratings boxes) but removing them all is too far. I do think that they should have an N/A choice, though, for things like Violence and Interactivity, since not everything is an interactive or violent submission, and a 0 looks ugly.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:10:00

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: For example, we have a score for VIOLENCE... Why the hell do we have a score for violence?

Odd, I was just thinking about that yesterday... I thought of how back in the day, Newgrounds seemed more edgy, so the Violence rating was suggesting that.

Times are changing, as are the Flash submitted to Newgrounds, and we're getting a variety of them. Rather than just mentioning a few elements a Flash could have, I agree with simplifying the review score system. The reviews scores are a quick way for Flash artists and other users on Newgrounds to see what a person likes and dislikes about the Flash, but really it's the text they read to get a good grasp on what the reviewer means.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:23:43

Although it doesn't make a difference to me (and I prefer the current one), it will definately be better for others. Also, its annoying even for myself to see people giving 10 for Violence in a non-violent, humorous flash, while 10 for Interactivitiy for a cool movie but only one click was available.

Overall score alone should be better for the rest. I'm actually fine either way.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:26:02

Hell yeah.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:27:22

i really think that we should ad a sexual/nudity bar

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:27:55

i say u can vote in only one catagory if u want (maybe just overall) and leave the catagorys that dont apply/u dont want to vote on as maybe an x. so they default of all the other categories could be an x and the reviewer can pick if they want to vote on that catagory, so u wont be required to vote in the others just the overall.

any body else understand/agree?

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:30:17

Yep, blam it

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:30:40

That's actually a really nice idea. It'll make everything a lot simpler. Go for it, I say.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:32:18

I think it's a good idea. Less hassle and much easier because sometimes you can't score something with no violence or whatever.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:37:55

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Here's another one of those random questions that is really just meant to prepare you for something we might end up doing whether or not you like it:

We have been considering simplifying the review criteria, namely, the individual scores. Going through the different score dropdowns feels like a hassel and some of the criteria feels really dated. For example, we have a score for VIOLENCE... Why the hell do we have a score for violence?

It doesn't seem like anyone is really looking at the individual scores and they aren't being put to use elsewhere, so we're leaning towards just having the single OVERALL score. Instead of dealing with seven dropdown boxes, you can just write your review and pick a single number between 1 and 10 to represent your final opinion.

Thoughts?

I don't think we should get rid of the catagories all together, just change what they are, and maybe simplify the process. Some people aren't the greatest writers (myself included, but I do try) in describing exactly what a lacking flash needs, but they leave honest number scores. These scores could help artists improve in areas on their future works.
Maybe these scores can Maybe there is something better than drop down boxes for picking a score. I also don't believe violence and interactivity work well. I think catagories such as originality/creativity need to be added, and so on.
And yes, I am biased towards keeping the old reviews as well... mainly because I've taken the time to write so many over the years.
I also like the idea of movies with a low review score being blamed if they fall under a certain average score. Many people passing through can easily hit the 5 button, raising a otherwise junk movies score (or lowering a quality one), but it takes a bit more time to write a review.
Just some ideas.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:44:08

HOW ABOUT!!! LISTEN GUYS I GOT THE GREATEST IDEA

cricket chirps..

O yea just let the author of the flash pick which dropdown they want in it.

FOr example Say i make a puzzle flash, and dont want the violence drop down in it,

I just DONT check the box that says violence

EASY ENOUGH!!!

GOd im smart

Lolwaitwut

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:44:14

That sounds cool. I never really liked having to choose how good each part of it was. I would rather just write my review and then give it an overall score.

f

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:50:28

Maybe we could keep it the same. But i was thinking about a different approach.

Maybe keep the reviews the same but when people go to submit there flash they can tell it game or movie which will change the review bars into the proper drop downs. Like people said before Movies will have graphics and originality and Games will have Gameplay and Coding. But wehat i was also thinking that when you go to submit a movie, have in the subit section a field that tells you what the movie will have in it like violence and humor so when people go to write reviews in it, ceratina drop downs will be unable to be marked.

EX: Someone submits a movie with no violence, therefore when he goes to submit he clicks no violence. So that would mean if someone watches his movie the violence drop down bar will be unable to be clicked or just wont be there at all because the submitter didnt choose violence in his movie and a category in his submission.

Just a thought.

Also if you change the system will the old reviews remain the same, get deleted or will they just change to the new system by deleteing dropdown scores and keeping the overalls and re scoring the overall scores?

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:51:19

Yes

hem..

The categories are kind of odd because not every submission is supposed to be funny or violent or graphically intensive. People will elaborate on their single review scoring howsoever they feel fit. I definitely think this would be a step in the right direction.
I didn't have time to skim through the other pages. Hopefully this post is still relevant.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 18:59:24

Assuming someone hasn't mentioned this in the past 7 pages or so, I do think it is a good idea, but on top of that, putting a "Choose score" or something similar instead of a zero at first would cut down on all the reviews where people forget to put in a numerical score, and simply type out a review.

I've been seeing a lot of those lately...

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 19:03:29

I think it would be a good idea. I can only speak for myself but I've alaways thought filling in those ratings for certain things was always a drag and I always thought I had bad judgement. I think just and over all box would be a great idea!

Xbox Live Gamertag: POTM

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 19:06:23

I think graphics and sound are relatively important, as is humor when watching a comedic flash, but numbers don't really tell the artist anything. The body of the review will give the artist the most information, unless it's written in leet speak or something.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 19:07:43

Tom, I think you should pop over to gamespot.com and see how the User reveiws are done, it would be a good idea to rip it off.

See, in gamespot the way you rank five seperate catogories (Gameplay,
Graphics, Sound, Value, Tilt) affect you overall score.

Twitter|Big Mean Flash Gamer| Art by John Dyer Baizley, sig by Shaun.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 19:16:14

At 10/11/06 04:34 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: GAMES:

Gameplay
Controls
Originality
Overall

MOVIES:

Graphics
Entertainment
Originality
Overall

WIN

No more animated sigs. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 19:16:37

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Here's another one of those random questions that is really just meant to prepare you for something we might end up doing whether or not you like it:

We have been considering simplifying the review criteria, namely, the individual scores. Going through the different score dropdowns feels like a hassel and some of the criteria feels really dated. For example, we have a score for VIOLENCE... Why the hell do we have a score for violence?

It doesn't seem like anyone is really looking at the individual scores and they aren't being put to use elsewhere, so we're leaning towards just having the single OVERALL score. Instead of dealing with seven dropdown boxes, you can just write your review and pick a single number between 1 and 10 to represent your final opinion.

Thoughts?

Keep the violence scores. I think that you should be able to flag people for just voting all 10's or all 0's on a submission without actually scoring each thing individually. That way people would be less inclined to leave this retarded reviews. Anyway, I think we should keep it the way it is.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 19:17:25

Seems like a good idea but it would leave out some detail to help the flash author though i suppose you could just write out as much detail as you wanted in a review.

All in all i don't really care,it's your call Tom.

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 19:18:52

I don't know. I found that as a newcomer to the site, the scores helped me to pick out which movies I wanted to watch. If I saw that a lot of people put 10 for humor, then I knew it had to of been funny.

I'd say keep it the way it is, but either change the words or reduce it.

Style
Humor
Sound
Graphics
Overall

Interactivity is stupid because, if you are playing a game, what does anyone care what that person scores for interactivity? What does anyone care? =p

So, keep those 5, and it might be easier and better for everyone, including that random fat new kid that just joined the site looking to get insite!

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 19:21:42

How about they're optional?

If you really love a movie/game you want to speak about every aspect, every pore it has.

If your just blamming and feel like reviewing it, you really just want to set the overall to "0".

Optional?

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 19:30:31

But... but... but... we NEED a score for violence! :(

I got a suggestion: How about setting the sub-scores equal to the overall score by default? So users who are to lazy to set the sub-scores don't need to set them while users who want to give sub-scores still can change them.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 19:33:20

I use those other ratings... no point in getting rid of them :P
Besides, the different scores make it look fancy.

REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 19:33:26

Actually, some people give very good reviews by doing something like this

Graphics - dadadad
Style - dadada
violence- dadada

and so forthing giving insight on each category. Besides, if the people can't take the time to vote on the category, they probalby don't have the time to write a good review.e

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature