00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Refuce just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Review Scores

40,353 Views | 444 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 18:22:36

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: I think we should keep the scores for things, just make them a bit more ambiguous

Yeah, insted of violence have something like effort or something.

Gorilla Studios || A game is like sex, its better when its free

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 18:23:29

Yea i agree,The viloncence Isnt even wat people want.(sometimes)

God damn the indians suck

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 18:27:03

I like the idea, partially. I have always thought that style and graphics were important scores, because it lets the author know what was well received and what wasn't.

But truthfully the reviewer is supposed to state what they liked and what they didn't, so I wouldn't complain if the individual scores dissapeared.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 18:44:54

Again, I'll say that I thnik that we should have categories for:

Graphics
Sound
Humour
Overall

Thoughts?

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 18:59:49

At 10/12/06 06:44 PM, Frenzy wrote: Again, I'll say that I thnik that we should have categories for:

Graphics
Sound
Humour
Overall

Thoughts?

Good idea without humor. Having humor is just like having violence. It is to specific.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 19:08:35

My opinion on this is that the main purpose of having the scores like that is for the flash artist to see what he needs to work on. And I read reveiws and sometimes when people write reviews they are clear or they don't have spelling skills that are higher then a sped ed 4th grader!(No offense to anyone)

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 19:22:10

I think theirs a few that should be kept, the animator would like to know what he/she can improove apon.
But humor and violence can go.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 19:24:11

Deleting some of them would be ok but you should go for maybe three or four options like the basics and the overall. Not all of them though

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 19:25:44

I like things the way they are. Come on, we GOTTA have graphics, sound, and style. Although, I also think that humor, violence, and interactivity should all be optional, or at least have an N/A option.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 19:32:18

Yeah, a simpler reviewing system would be great. Newgrounds is getting big now, violence, humor, style, and graphics really isn't what makes a flash. I think it may also encourage more reveiwers too!

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 19:53:07

mmmm. sounds like a great idea, the dropdowns were/are a pain

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 19:58:38

Maybe you should let flash authors decide what categories they want reviewers to rate their submission on. They should know best about what categories it needs.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 20:09:06

you can't get rid of all of them, or at least the old reviews at least... :(

you can give a good review without saying much just by putting in numbers...

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 20:10:09

I don't think you should get rid of everything. Please keep sound and graphics. Otherwise good plan!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 20:20:50

Yeah, Tommy, I definetely agree with you no this subject, as i really don't see the point in having all those score. Something should be done about writing reviews because it seems such a hassle

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 20:24:36

That sounds good to me. I never thought much of the individual scores. I mean, if you have a flash that's meant to be dramatic then there really isn't a point at all at giving it a score for humor, since it wasn't the artist's intention at all. In that situation there should at least be an N/A option. Same thing if you're watching a flash movie, there's no point to vote for interactive since it's not meant to be interactive.

I think, of the individual scores, the only ones that really apply are graphics and sound. Those are really the only two a flash needs to have.

It serves its purpose.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 20:33:23

yeah the way to go is to change the criteria so that its more relevan

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 20:34:09

At 10/12/06 08:21 PM, TheCrazyPotato wrote: Tommy...?

umm... no?
Agayjay?

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 20:38:54

I would say go with the (SINGLE) pulldown it would be much easier that way and to be honest i dont see that the others matter unless they actually worked towards the review total.

Maybe even giving the review total a % might even work.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 20:40:28

I like the idea of one overall box, or at the very least, less categories and more relevant ones.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 20:48:45

it is a great idea, because it can be a really bad pain doing all of the box things, especially when you are not in the best mood for it (i`m hungry!) anyway why dont you make it so that it is a different reviewing thing for game or movie, for example if you were reviewing a movie then it would have all of the stuff relevant to movies like animation, sound, entertainment, and overall, and then a game would have stuff lilke gameplay, graphics, entertainment and once again, overall, it was a great idea to bring up this topic because it could lead to a big change in the reviewing proccess :history of the portal: but it is your site, your choice. i must say, you and the team at NG have done a great job with everything

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 20:58:32

What about having the drop down being optional, where you don't have to enter a number everysingle time, so if someone wanted to take the time and critique a submission they could

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Here's another one of those random questions that is really just meant to prepare you for something we might end up doing whether or not you like it:

We have been considering simplifying the review criteria, namely, the individual scores. Going through the different score dropdowns feels like a hassel and some of the criteria feels really dated. For example, we have a score for VIOLENCE... Why the hell do we have a score for violence?

It doesn't seem like anyone is really looking at the individual scores and they aren't being put to use elsewhere, so we're leaning towards just having the single OVERALL score. Instead of dealing with seven dropdown boxes, you can just write your review and pick a single number between 1 and 10 to represent your final opinion.

Thoughts?

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 21:16:03

I highly endorse this idea.

A simple system = a more efficient system.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 22:10:17

Sweet do that with the audio section too.

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 22:30:52

The current system is indeed outdated, but I don't think using one rating alone would help much. A score of 9/10 doesn't really tell me much before I view something other than a lot of people liked it. Why did they like it? Was it a graphical masterpiece and nothing else? Does it have great characters designs but no plot whatsoever? Does it feature brilliant music but doesn't pace with it properly? If the system were just more accurate (and you displayed an average for each category) I could get a lot more out of the review, and I'm sure the author sure would, too.

While we're at it, why not have two seperate rating systems, one for films and one for games? You don't rate the two by the same criteria. Games need good control, should immerse the player, and feel rewarding upon completiong (among a slew of other things). Most gaming magazines rate individual characteristics for a reason -- it's all relevant to the final conclusion.

I oppose the singular rating system; just update the rating system right now and I think the NG world will be a better place.

Aspiring voice actor.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 22:32:53

At 10/12/06 10:30 PM, Daeowan wrote: The current system is indeed outdated, but I don't think using one rating alone would help much. A score of 9/10 doesn't really tell me much before I view something other than a lot of people liked it. Why did they like it? Was it a graphical masterpiece and nothing else? Does it have great characters designs but no plot whatsoever? Does it feature brilliant music but doesn't pace with it properly? If the system were just more accurate (and you displayed an average for each category) I could get a lot more out of the review, and I'm sure the author sure would, too.

While we're at it, why not have two seperate rating systems, one for films and one for games? You don't rate the two by the same criteria. Games need good control, should immerse the player, and feel rewarding upon completiong (among a slew of other things). Most gaming magazines rate individual characteristics for a reason -- it's all relevant to the final conclusion.

I oppose the singular rating system; just update the rating system right now and I think the NG world will be a better place.

Oh! And if you were to use this method, have the end total automatically calculated for the user instead of asking them to figure out the average themselves. If you have categories that are all important to the final product this final number could speak volumes about the film or game's quality.

Aspiring voice actor.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 22:41:24

I wouldn't keep just the one overall score because then the authors won't know what to improve on seeing as how most reviews are just like 2-word deals that don't really explain anything. Maybe changing the score names or something? 'Cause yeah the violence one is wierd and no one seems to understand the "style" one or "interactivity" one.... I dunno

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 22:51:02

just one score would be sufficient

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 23:03:20

At 10/11/06 04:34 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
If anything, I think there should be different categories for games and movies

GAMES:

Gameplay
Controls
Originality
Overall

MOVIES:

Graphics
Entertainment
Originality
Overall

I agree, when you submit stuff to the portal you have to say whether its game or move, but the reviews seem to have not been updated since the website was centered around just movies, not games.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 23:14:52

I think it should be kept the way it is.

The different areas give a much broader view of what the movie/game is about- before you load it. Though I have found that if people like a movie, or are in a good mood- they will just select 10 for everything and leave a review like "WOOT!"

Alternately they will select 0 for everything and say "BLAM"

Having a option for violence may seem unfitting for some movies- as not all flash projects are based around violence. Though it makes sense to give that movie/game a violence score based on the appropriateness of the violence in the movie/game. Eg. A movie has absolutely no violence in it, yet is still a good movie is rated violence 10- because it used non-violence effectivly. On the other hand, the movie might have NEEDED violence in a scene, so it would score less violence for that reason.
Alternately, there might be TOO much violence in a movie (such as MC6, where the fighting just dragged on) and would thus lose out on the violence score there.

People who use the system effectivly make it a worthwhile and useful thing to have, though people who really dont give a shit about it and just fill in the scores with no thought behind doing so make it counter productive.

I say just make the scores optional- forcing people to select them whenever they review may be a pain in the ass for some.

Sorry if I said too much there or repeated what other people said earlier- but there is no way in hell Im reading 13 pages of pure NG forum whorring on dialup.