00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JoJoshke just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Forum Sigs

27,455 Views | 489 Replies

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 17:45:01

At 10/3/06 05:31 PM, liljim wrote: Yeah, then the messages might look as expansive as this (screenshot below). WHY DIDN'T YOU THINK OF THIS, DESIGN TEAM?

I like the look. The paragraphs are centered, making it easier to read (for me at least).

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 17:47:44

Oh God, does that new border faggotry mean no more BBS cutouts?
Goddammit this new layout is starting to sound a lot like me leaving Newgrounds >:|

REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 17:50:43

Don't change it. Let the uses have their sig space. I'm sure that the new layout will look sick, but I really don't think that users sigs will make it look bad.

Please leave it alone.

|| AK || Play TF2 @ AK's ||

NG Archive - The Problems of the Past, Today!

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 17:55:47

All right, time to throw in my word on this.

Change is good, and I look forward to the new layout. I remember last time the layout changed, and I along with many other users hated it with a passion. With time, the hate died, and now I will miss it like hell.

I'm sure I will feel the same way about the new layout, but over time it will be great.

Having sigs smaller then they are now would be a great pain. As a sig maker it's very hard to get good looking images into the sig limit we have now.

I like the example liljim posted, but it's going to be hard to fill all that horizontal space.

The BIGGEST problem I have with it is the automatic border. If you look around the forums, 1/10 people have a sig with BBS cutouts. (Even look at mine, BBS cut outs added at the sides) With the automatic border feature, BBS cut out sigs will be a thing of the past.

What I suggest is keeping that example liljim posted, and shave off some one the width, and add it height.

Taking animation of of BBS sigs would be a great step backwards.

I've seen some amazing animated sigs in the past. Funny ones, awesome ones. (Who can forget the FAPFAPFAP sigs?) If bandwith is an issue with keeping animation on bigger sigs, then for all means take them out. If it's not, then that would be a bad decision. In a site about flash animation you would think that they would allow animated sigs. :p

Another problem that faces with this is that people are going to have to be able to post large images if the sigs are big like in liljim's example. The reason for this is because most people get their sigs in theNewgrounds sig makers, and how are we going to give it to them without being able to post large images?

Third party shouldn't matter. They don't go to the BBS, the forum users do. I've never viewed sigs as ads, and I'm sure no one else has.|

They give the BBS soul.

So all in all, I'm up for some change, but both of your suggestions need work in my opinion.

Good luck.

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 17:55:58

At 10/3/06 05:35 PM, TomFulp wrote: Nice try, but no. Newgrounds was never about LOOKING LIKE SHIT. We've always had an aesthetic ideal. We give the users a lot of freedom, but when users take a graphical dump on the site, that isn't "fun."

Very true, Tom. Also, happy 2,000th post!

Signature

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 17:57:31

At 10/3/06 10:58 AM, Mazza wrote: I wouldn't really mind. Sigs aren't really that important anyways, 3/4 of Newgrounds didn't even make theirs themselves.

im part of that 1/4 yay me!

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 17:59:44

Well, I enjoy animated sigs, but I don't mind if they're different in size.

Besides, animated sigs do look catchy :P

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:01:03

I'm a bit annoyed at the new proposed sig dimensions, because most images (that would be used in the sig, etc) tend to be longer than they are wide, so it would be harder to fit them in.

I suppose I'll have to either flip the images I use, more, or just use smaller cropped out areas. Eh.

As for the animated sig thing, I'd rather keep them, as some can look really cool. If the only problem with animated sigs is that they can be flashy or obnoxious, than it doesn't sound that bad.

Strobing sigs have always been against the rules, so it really doesn't seem fair to eliminate all animated sigs, just because a few users have made seizure ones.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:02:35

Oh great, and I just got a new sig.

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:10:35

At 10/3/06 12:13 PM, liljim wrote: Sample... The border is automatically added around the signature in this example.

Hmm.

I like the width, but hate the hight. They look as though they are be squished.

|| AK || Play TF2 @ AK's ||

NG Archive - The Problems of the Past, Today!

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:12:20

OK LOOK

to give you all an idea of the size we'd like to go for look at these:

HERE

and

HERE

they're 50 pixels high and not 40..i think that is a good compromise...they look alot cleaner, and frankly, sigs arent supposed to be a mini art gallery at the bottom of every post. signatures by their nature are supposed to be you name and be SMALL.

Tom and I have been working on something hmmm????

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:16:00

i dont think any amount of edit would be worth taking away thesigs on the BBS, the sigs Are the BBS, before i even read the topic ialways go down the page looking for the funniest sigs, In conclusion Sigs are to BBS as say, Strawberry clock is to the portal, or Eric Bauman is to getting dissed constantly, without one the other cannot survive.

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:17:10

Fuck man, the height of the sigs is very small already, and you want to make it smaller!? Hell, the sigs are cool as they are.

wut

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:19:25

40 pixels is pretty short. Even with 60 it's hard enough to show any sort of actual detail, and making that even shorter would make it a fair amount harder as well. Just about every signature picture would be either that one intense closeup of the eyes or some unidentifiable mass of colors. At least that's what springs to mind at first. Actually practicing it might prove otherwise.

My art gallery, because I'm better than you at things.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:23:09

At 10/3/06 06:12 PM, JohnnyUtah wrote: OK LOOK

to give you all an idea of the size we'd like to go for look at these:

HERE

and

HERE

they're 50 pixels high and not 40..i think that is a good compromise...they look alot cleaner, and frankly, sigs arent supposed to be a mini art gallery at the bottom of every post. signatures by their nature are supposed to be you name and be SMALL.

The ones we have now are 60 pixels high, not 40.

Why not just have something like this?:

Keeps the width, and makes the height look great.

http://img138.images..img138/1182/glb0.jpg

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:25:47

At 10/3/06 06:16 PM, Sly-Boots1 wrote: i dont think any amount of edit would be worth taking away thesigs on the BBS, the sigs Are the BBS, before i even read the topic ialways go down the page looking for the funniest sigs, In conclusion Sigs are to BBS as say, Strawberry clock is to the portal, or Eric Bauman is to getting dissed constantly, without one the other cannot survive.

most of them are pretty shitty...and the sigs don't make the bbs.

secondly, once you see how slick the new board is with the thinner, wider sigs you'd understand.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:26:00

At 10/3/06 05:55 PM, dave wrote: The BIGGEST problem I have with it is the automatic border.

The whole point in having a discussion is that people drum out ideas or concerns, rather than bitch and moan about the ideas as if they are set in stone, which most people are doing, and you have thankfully refrained from doing. Just because there are borders on the example I posted, does not necessarily mean that there will be borders in the finished stuff. Everything is still being tweaked.

If bandwith is an issue with keeping animation on bigger sigs, then for all means take them out.

Bandwidth is not an issue, nor is storage space. This is purely for aesthetical reasons.

In a site about flash animation you would think that they would allow animated sigs. :p

Well, that's a point that's been disputed in our own discussion, by the fact that if you're a flash author, you put your flash in the portal. If you're on the bbs, you're there primarily for the discussion, not all the fancy user images.

Another problem that faces with this is that people are going to have to be able to post large images if the sigs are big like in liljim's example.

Don't see any problem with upping the max width and height of the images in the forums. The only reason we don't currently do this is that the images at 595 pixels would break the current design.

Third party shouldn't matter.

It's a third party (i.e. not staff member), who does go to the bbs.

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:27:19

At 10/3/06 06:25 PM, Pinkasaurus wrote: What I don't understand is that the new layout is bigger and bolder - ie the buttons, as can be seen in the new header, are bigger and more in your face, and I would imagine this to be true of the new layout also. So current sig dimensions would be perfect for the new layout, so I really don't understand why you have had this sudden urge to chenge them.

you dont understand because you havent seen the new design. you guys shouldnt be so afaid of change...this isnt a big deal.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:35:39

At 10/3/06 06:27 PM, JohnnyUtah wrote:
At 10/3/06 06:25 PM, Pinkasaurus wrote: What I don't understand is that the new layout is bigger and bolder - ie the buttons, as can be seen in the new header, are bigger and more in your face, and I would imagine this to be true of the new layout also. So current sig dimensions would be perfect for the new layout, so I really don't understand why you have had this sudden urge to chenge them.
you dont understand because you havent seen the new design. you guys shouldnt be so afaid of change...this isnt a big deal.

I'm not afraid of change, I just hate the shitty change, which is what I think this change will be. If you're going to make the sig sizes bigger, go for it, I don't think any of the example sigs posted so far are good, they're long, and short, which makes sigs just screenshots of big pictures.
I wish you would make them taller, perhaps, 70-100 px high.

Although I guess, as you say, I haven't seen the new layout.
Post a screenshot what the new layout looks like then, so I can understand better :\
Or say something in laymans terms, my tiny negro brain probably can't comprehend your superior white intelligence and overseeing.

REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:37:04

I would think it would be convient to have the sigs in increase by maybe 20 pixels on heigth and width so we can have more some more supdup sigs

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:38:32

At 10/3/06 06:35 PM, MadCow wrote: I wish you would make them taller, perhaps, 70-100 px high.

Jesus Christ! Do you want the BBS to look like gaiaonline?

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:40:04

While it would mean I have do ditch all my current sig pics, that's okay; I'll just make more. If it all looks better in the long run, it'll be worth it.

Hopefully....

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:41:49

At 10/3/06 10:54 AM, TomFulp wrote: My concern is that if we do this, the only response we'll hear to the redesign is "bring back the old sigs!" So I figured I would ask... How much would it piss you off if you had to make a new sig, with expanded width but less height and no animation?

very much. You can't read my sig on a shorter height

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:44:46

At 10/3/06 12:13 PM, liljim wrote: Sample... The border is automatically added around the signature in this example.

wow i really dont like that i mean sure it looks good but it wouldnt work for 99.9 percent of all the ngbbs's sigs.... please dont make the height smaller it would ruin it

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:46:24

You should atleast give us a screenshot of an example post in the new layout. I know you don't want to release what it looks like this soon, but it's easier for us to make a decision if we can see what looks bad and what doesn't. Because right now we're all arguing about something we haven't even seen yet, and it would be a lot easier than just saying "you dont understand because you havent seen the new design"

As for the gif restriction, I don't really mind. Yeah, there are a lot of good animated sigs out there, but even a good animated sig can get distracting.

If you don't want to release an screenshots just yet, I understand. Knowing the people on Newgrounds, they'd probably complain "THAT IMAGE SHOULDN'T BE IN THAT SPOT!! CHANGE THE COLORS!1!" if they saw it.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:48:33

At 10/3/06 06:46 PM, miniman wrote: You should atleast give us a screenshot of an example post in the new layout.

Look at liljim's post on the previous page.

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:48:55

I really wouldn't mind.

It isn't that big of a deal. It's just a sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:49:06

Animations need to stay.

Resizing is A-OK.

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:49:35

No problem with changing the format.
Anything to make NG better.

Response to Forum Sigs 2006-10-03 18:50:25

At 10/3/06 06:38 PM, amplefied wrote:
At 10/3/06 06:35 PM, MadCow wrote: I wish you would make them taller, perhaps, 70-100 px high.
Jesus Christ! Do you want the BBS to look like gaiaonline?

Dear God Yes.
But still, yeah, I would like them to be taller. 500x75 would actually be pretty good, I don't think it's that bad, and it gves you more space for creativity :P

BBS Signature