00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

soultyrant1 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The War Crew

86,145 Views | 1,591 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The War Crew 2005-10-24 02:01:02

At 10/24/05 01:33 AM, GeneralMBison wrote:
Maybe we could have a rival crew starting. Oh well.

I doubt it, I think it got deleted. In other news, CIV IV COMES OUT IN 2-NO-1 DAY!!!

Response to The War Crew 2005-10-24 18:08:55

At 10/24/05 07:41 AM, marchingtyrants wrote: Look at THIS . This may be just a game, but who knows? It might really happen! A second US civil war.......WOW

Yeah, I heard about that, are the battles real-time? Is the whole game real time? I might get it, if I'm not swamped by Civilization IV...

Response to The War Crew 2005-10-24 20:54:32

sergant shaith just keeping up here...
anyone can help me out with information on the p90. like what country it came from/ is popular in, what is the calibre, and what makes them? danke

Response to The War Crew 2005-10-24 21:04:17

Regarding the question on the p90, sergeant, I'm really not sure. I'm sure somebody else can answer it.

Back to Roman History

The Roman Empire was sacked three times in the span of sixty years, and Rome became desolate.

Who led the final sack, which killed the Western half of the Empire, and what tribe was he from?

BONUS: What tribe was he allied to?

Roman History Current Score:

Nomader: 1
Everybody else: 0

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Review Request Club // Former Wi/Ht? Regular

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2005-10-24 21:50:14

At 10/24/05 09:04 PM, Nomader wrote: Who led the final sack, which killed the Western half of the Empire, and what tribe was he from?

Atilla the Hun?

Roman History Current Score:

Don't I get one for getting the Cali republic right? I know its not Roman History, but shouldn't it count for something?

Response to The War Crew 2005-10-24 22:26:59

At 10/24/05 09:50 PM, seventy-one wrote:
At 10/24/05 09:04 PM, Nomader wrote: Who led the final sack, which killed the Western half of the Empire, and what tribe was he from?
Atilla the Hun?

No, I'll let some other people guess at it first.

Don't I get one for getting the Cali republic right? I know its not Roman History, but shouldn't it count for something?

Alright. Fine. But I'll update it after somebody else guesses.

Anyhow, because I don't like posting two sentences anymore, I'll give you guys a little history lesson.

The first Roman sack was in 387 B.C., when Rome was sacked by Gaul. Under the command of Brennus, Gaul routed six Roman legions, by attacking the right wing of the legions first, where the younger troops were. They then attacked the expierenced men on the left and center, and gave them heavy casulties.

The troops came running back to Rome in horror, and by some accounts, even left the city gates wide open.

The citizens gathered on Capitoline Hill, the site of a temple for the Gods of Jupiter... etc.

The rest of the city was plundered and sacked.

Regarding Attila the Hun as the answer:

It is incorrect.

For some reason, Attila the Hun is known as cruel and such, yet he was bartered out of attacking Rome by the pope.

*HINT*

It was a later tribe that attacked Rome*

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2005-10-24 23:00:34

At 10/24/05 10:26 PM, Nomader wrote:
At 10/24/05 09:50 PM, seventy-one wrote:
Atilla the Hun?
No, I'll let some other people guess at it first.

So I don't get to guess?

Response to The War Crew 2005-10-24 23:11:26

At 10/24/05 11:00 PM, seventy-one wrote: So I don't get to guess?

Yes. You can guess as many times as you want. For all I care, you could guess George W. Bush (if you voted for him, I'd ban you from my Roman History contest)

I am now posting another piece of Roman History:

Rome Fun Facts!

It is estimated that the city of Rome at its peak was at 1 million to 1.6 million at its peak, although other estimates range from 450,000 to 3.5 milllion people at its peak.

It is believed that after the 2nd Century AD, that Rome's population steadily decreaced, especially under the rule of Marcus Aurelius, who at the end of that century, killed 2,000 people a day.

Romulus Augustus was a 14 year old, and was the last Roman Emporer.

That's it for today's Roman Fun Facts!

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2005-10-24 23:34:05

At 10/24/05 11:11 PM, Nomader wrote:
At 10/24/05 11:00 PM, seventy-one wrote: So I don't get to guess?

Ok, was it Alaric and the Visigoths?

If this is wrong, I'll go to the Civ IV website to find out.

Response to The War Crew 2005-10-25 16:58:48

At 10/24/05 09:04 PM, Nomader wrote:
Regarding the question on the p90, sergeant, I'm really not sure. I'm sure somebody else can answer it.

how about any websites i could check for? likeother gun manufacturing sites, or other military sites, or posible p90 selling sites, anyone?

Response to The War Crew 2005-10-25 17:50:47

At 10/24/05 11:34 PM, seventy-one wrote: Ok, was it Alaric and the Visigoths?

No. It was not Alaric and the Visigoths - they were not the final sack of Rome. Again, this sack occured before the final sack.

History lesson on the sack of the city of Constantinople (the Capital of the Eastern Roman Empire, better known as the Byzantine Empire)

Alaric leading the rebellious Visigoths, first attempted to attack Constantinople, but decided it's incredible defenses were worthless to attack.

Constantinople was surrounded by three sets of walls, one of which was over 20 feet thick. The city also had a natural barrier of water on three sides, which also had a giant sea wall surrounding it. The walls themselves streched out to 14 miles worth of rock and stone, making them some of the strongest for the time.

These defenses let the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire survive for nearly 1,000 years, out living the Roman Empire itself by far.

The final destoyers of Constantinople was the Ottoman Empire.

The Muslims had been eating away at the Byzantine Empire's territory for some time by now, and now wanted the pea, the safe.

Constantinople was one of the largest centers of trade at the time - it had goods from all around the globe.

However, the Ottoman Empire was determined to gain the riches of the Byzantine Empire, and gain converts to the Muslim faith.

The Byzantine army of Constantinople totaled around 7,000 men. 2,000 of these men were foreign mercenaries. However, with their small numbers came their incredibly large fortifications.

The Ottoman Empire on the other hand had a much larger force, around 100,000 troops.

The invention of gunpowder was meant to be the Empire's downfall.

The Ottomans hired a Hungarian engineer who specified in the making of the new weapon, the cannon.

He built an enormous cannon, of around twenty-seven feet in size.

However, it didn't work, and the Byzantines just repaired the wall after every shot due to the slow rate of fire.

Then, they attempted to sap the walls, by digging tunnels underneath them. However, again, they filled many tunnels with water, and even captured an engineer, torturing him until they gained the position of the tunnels. These were all destroyed.

The night of the final attack had a solar eclipse - a bad sign.

In a desperate maneuever, the Ottoman King was becoming impatient. So, he decided to try the "all out war" attack. He threw in different waves, all of which failed.

However, during the third assault by the elite Jannisaries, the Byzantine General in charge of the defense took a minor wound, and seeked a surgeon.

The soldiers panicked, and to this day, we only have legends and rumors as to how it fell.

One famous one is that the soldiers abandoned the gate, and the Ottoman Empire simply walked inside the city.

And thus finishes the history lesson on the fall of Byzantine Rome.

If this is wrong, I'll go to the Civ IV website to find out.

lol - maybe Wikipedia , Google , or the Civ IV website could help you out? I'm not sure.

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2005-10-25 20:10:46

At 10/25/05 05:50 PM, Nomader wrote: or the Civ IV website could help you out? I'm not sure.

Actually I'm sure it would. They have background info on each Civ. Any more questions...

Response to The War Crew 2005-10-25 21:30:07

At 10/25/05 08:10 PM, seventy-one wrote:
At 10/25/05 05:50 PM, Nomader wrote: or the Civ IV website could help you out? I'm not sure.
Actually I'm sure it would. They have background info on each Civ. Any more questions...

None? Okay, I'll ask an easy one:
Who was the leader of the Saxons at the Battle of Hastings?

Join the Civilzation Crew!!!

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-01 14:37:18

hey guess im back sorry for being AWOL i was in Egypt did you miss me.
anyway anything happen while i was away?

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-01 19:55:39

At 11/1/05 02:37 PM, redglare1 wrote: hey guess im back sorry for being AWOL i was in Egypt did you miss me.

how was Egypt soldier? Nothing much just many more questions and only one promotion will you were gone.

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-01 20:30:14

At 11/1/05 02:37 PM, redglare1 wrote: hey guess im back sorry for being AWOL i was in Egypt did you miss me.

Very bad things have happened.

The War Crew has fallen into a depressing lapse of Inactivity - the once normally active questionare club gone! No more!

What shall we do in this horrible time!

I'm not sure... but, I guess reviving it again, with our known leader is a good start!

Roman History Question

*not pertaining exactly to Roman History*

Did Shakespeare's play, Julius Caesar, center on the well known General, and conquerer of Rome (Julius Caesar - did it focus on him?)?

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-01 20:50:32

At 11/1/05 08:30 PM, Nomader wrote: Did Shakespeare's play, Julius Caesar, center on the well known General, and conquerer of Rome (Julius Caesar - did it focus on him?)?

No, it was mainly about the conspiritors, Cassius and Brutus. Caesar got killed off early.

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-02 14:45:21

At 11/1/05 07:55 PM, GeneralMBison wrote:
At 11/1/05 02:37 PM, redglare1 wrote:
how was Egypt soldier? Nothing much just many more questions and only one promotion will you were gone.

pretty good commander although it did make me homesick for my homeland and homeclimate but other than that it was fine there police were over zealous and there culture seems to be rasict in favour of tuorists foreigner ticket prices cheaper than locals and taxis only picking up whites and all that

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-02 18:53:12

At 11/1/05 08:30 PM, Nomader wrote:
Very bad things have happened.

The War Crew has fallen into a depressing lapse of Inactivity - the once normally active questionare club gone! No more!

What shall we do in this horrible time!

I'm not sure... but, I guess reviving it again, with our known leader is a good start!

It was falling apart but now that the officers and I are back in the firing lines but not as it was.

Instead of just random questions popping in and out, we should make a game like Jeopardy style with all war question in it. From the wars before Christ was born to today's wars.

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-03 12:11:28

right i'll go first then why did yugoslavia collapse into war?

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-05 15:46:58

At 11/3/05 12:11 PM, redglare1 wrote: right i'll go first then why did yugoslavia collapse into war?

nevermind questions bison ive got an idea to bring life back to this crew we could have
war i mean we choose are sides east and west then divise attack plans and see who wins (no nukes) what do you think?

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-06 13:21:23

At 11/5/05 03:46 PM, redglare1 wrote: nevermind questions bison ive got an idea to bring life back to this crew we could have
war i mean we choose are sides east and west then divise attack plans and see who wins (no nukes) what do you think?

hmm...it can be like Risk. thats a good idea.

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-06 16:21:23

However, regarding "East and West"...

I fear that it will turn into a horrible spam war. This in turn would ruin us, as we'd be locked by a moderator or maybe watched...

We just simply cannot post crap.

I fear for this club's survival. We must come up with something quickly, or else...

Note:

The first post on this page was 10/23/05...

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-07 11:23:05

alright fine heres an idea how about we write stories about wars or come up with ideas of what the future will bring to wars like new tech and that hell we could even talk about the console wars any of these hell keep a crew alive.

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-08 19:56:47

we could talk about the new game "call of duty 2" it so to be awesome graphic and right in the heat of the battle but my favorite is brother in arm: road to hill 30 mostly cuz it very good for graphics and true like experice cuz other games always been missing something breath control, smarter ai and best of all (well not form newbies) you can die like from one shot making it surperb game well that my idea

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-09 11:18:13

personally im tired off normandy featuring in evry war game out there and only a few featuring stalingrad the turning point in the war not to belittle there work but d-day wasnt that major a battle in the scheme of things.

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-09 21:19:32

At 11/9/05 11:18 AM, redglare1 wrote: personally im tired off normandy featuring in evry war game out there and only a few featuring stalingrad the turning point in the war not to belittle there work but d-day wasnt that major a battle in the scheme of things.

yeah, they should do some levels in Iwo Jima, Guam, Stalingrad and other areas that have not been shown in World War II games.

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-09 21:58:48

Alrighty - let's face it. This club is like a person, with a gag in their throat, with a doctor using a knife to get it out.

We're dying. Fast.

So, might I suggest some sort of "War Story", where we make some sort of story up using the members of this club?

It might keep us alive a bit longer.

I just don't know.

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-09 22:29:20

I will be starting a game of tactics and command, anyone can participate (members of the crew), and each one can get their own seperate route, one false move will eventually kill you, last one to die wins.
-----------------------------------

Congratulations sir you have just been given command of a set of troops, we're counting on you, we are at war with a furious rival who has been fighting us for years, for reasons buried in years of war and fighting.

We are currently on a campaign to cut resources to the enemy capital.

The enemy has been sighted with tools and sorts, our scouts tell us they're building a railroad to transport their troops, it is of imperative importance that you stop their production.

You have at your disposal:
2 Bomber planes (*1)
2 Fighter planes
13,000 foot soldiers (*3,000)
7 Artillery weapons (*4)
9,000 specialty troops

*-Within range to use in this mission
NOTE- You can only use troops with an asterisk for this particular mission

Do you accept or decline this mission? If you choose to accept plot your first move.

Response to The War Crew 2005-11-09 22:59:04

At 11/9/05 10:29 PM, seventy-one wrote: I will be starting a game of tactics and command, anyone can participate (members of the crew), and each one can get their own seperate route, one false move will eventually kill you, last one to die wins.

Great idea. I'm all for it.

-----------------------------------
Do you accept or decline this mission? If you choose to accept plot your first move.

I must accept this mission, as it is the only way for me to get that coveted promotion I've always wanted to Captain.

I'll make ready my supply line, to make sure my men are always fully stocked. We're ready for combat.

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature