00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B1llz1lla just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution

45,619 Views | 647 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-03 20:49:59

Oh, and one small addition to the ban thing, whenever the mod leaves a link, make it clickable like when you just leave a link in the BBS and it becomes clickable on its own.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-04 01:23:55

here's a good idea.
During the judgement stage of a portal entry do not have the author's name visible or the author's previous work visible until after it passes judgement. Some people automatically vote stuff up just because it had a good repuatation.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-04 09:05:07

At 4/4/05 01:23 AM, YoinK_VineS wrote: here's a good idea.
During the judgement stage of a portal entry do not have the author's name visible or the author's previous work visible until after it passes judgement. Some people automatically vote stuff up just because it had a good repuatation.

Not gonna work, some flash authors put their names onto the swf and stuff to prevent theft, and when we cannot see who submitted it, too many people could get away with stealing flash.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-04 10:09:15

At 4/4/05 01:23 AM, YoinK_VineS wrote: here's a good idea.

Thats completlely true... I dont think anything can really be done about it though... Thats why i think the Broken Saints Series does so well... I tried watching one episode and i dont think it deserved the score it got, but whenever people see a new one, they just vote five to get a protection point...

Thanks nightmareLeecher for the sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-04 10:36:27

At 4/4/05 10:09 AM, LamboFactor wrote: Thats completlely true... I dont think anything can really be done about it though... Thats why i think the Broken Saints Series does so well... I tried watching one episode and i dont think it deserved the score it got, but whenever people see a new one, they just vote five to get a protection point...

True as the problem may be, flash authors can still put their names on the work, and in fact if we implemented this system, chances of stolen flash could increase. Also, lets say MR A made a flash and his name was hidden and he wasn't well known, so he labelled the flash with "Made by MR B" who is supposedly a famour author, this encourages the problem of voting because of who made it.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-04 12:04:22

Quit putting restrictions for us, and requirements.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-04 12:18:00

At 4/4/05 12:04 PM, AnzRage wrote: Quit putting restrictions for us, and requirements.

Two things:
1) Please read the first post in the thread. This isn't a topic for complaining about NG's current features.
2) Please elaborate on your idea. I have no idea as to what you are referring to, so it's going to be hard for anybody to comment on or implement your idea(s).

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-04 12:47:21

I don't like the idea of giving the reason for voting 0 as one suggested. Some crap don't need reasons when it's obvious crap.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-04 12:50:27

At 4/4/05 12:47 PM, AnzRage wrote: I don't like the idea of giving the reason for voting 0 as one suggested. Some crap don't need reasons when it's obvious crap.

Well, in future, please quote the post to which you are replying, so we know which idea you are responding to. Thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-05 15:02:34

At 4/1/05 04:05 PM, Maus wrote: http://newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=250716

Nice proof mods aren't perfect... Kudos to you, Maus. :)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-05 19:08:12

At 3/28/05 01:20 PM, Denvish wrote: I notice (hope it's not only my PC) that there is now a pause between clicking the 'Watch This Movie' link and the voting panel appearing.

This was implided because of shotgun voters. Basically, ones who open up the flash, close it, and vote randomly, or by the name of the author. But... THERE IS STILL A BIT FLAW IN ALL OF THIS. You can still click on the movie to open it, close it, and after a while, the vote pannel will appear, regardless or not whether you have the flash open and loading. I know Wade said about the filesize is the key on how it loads, and I think that is a BIG mistake. It should take a minute, 50 seconds at the most untill the vote pannel opens up. Now, I know this maybe foolish for those crappy, CRAPPY flashes, the ones that are only 54kb or 453kb. Now, I say that the vote pannel for a 1,000kb flash should take aprox 30 seconds to open, 2,000kb 40, 3, 000bk 50, 4,000kb 60, and anything bigger than 4,500kb to be 70 seconds. Yeah it sounds a bit nutters for some, but still, this new voting pannel hasn't done much of anything except for delyaying voting time. Again, you can click the flash then close it, and the pannel will still appear after time. So, you should HAVE to have the movie open and loading for the vote pannel to appear, not just open and close it then wait for the pannel.

And yes, j00bs flash was the one that was the big fish in the pond that got the delayed voting pannel to be put back into use. Not to mention alot of those really bad movies, like that Shadow prophet series which is just as bad, if not worse that j00bs blank screen.

At 3/28/05 01:24 PM, unowned wrote: Why are some words that have more than 3 characters excluded? I can't really name right now but you know what I mean when you search for something and nothing shows up.

Urgh, the endles 3 letter clubs in the C&C, like Rap clubs and stuff like that.

At 3/30/05 12:28 PM, Denvish wrote: Is there any reason why the BBS UOTD criteria shouldn't be changed to >100 or >200 posts?

It should be 500 posts or more, and active within the last six months, as in posting, voting, etc...

At 4/1/05 04:05 PM, Maus wrote: Nobody can search for those terms.

I forgot to mention the DS and PSP clubs/crews that start up. :/ Alls there needs to be is a handheld games crew, or just a sony/nintendo crew. But hey, who knows.

At 4/4/05 12:47 PM, AnzRage wrote: I don't like the idea of giving the reason for voting 0 as one suggested. Some crap don't need reasons when it's obvious crap.

---------------------

Okay, here it is broken down for you :

Vote 0 - Total crap. A piece thrown together for a free blam point. No time spent.

Vote 1 - Not total crap, but still bad. With some improvements, it could pass. Some time spent on it, but it could be better

Vote 2 - Eh, it's not good, it's not bad, it's okay. Doesn't deserve to be blammed because it's decent quality, and the author spent some time/skill on it.

Vote 3 - This is pretty good. A decent amount of time spent making this flash. Put together well, nice features, and of good quality.

Vote 4 - This is very good, if not great. Everything is really well on this, I like it, a possible favorite. The animation is smooth and the sound is good. The author spent a great deal of time and effort making this flash. A good candidate for front page.

Vote 5 - This is an awsome flash. It's some of the best flash on NG I've ever seen. The animation is that of it's own, and the sound is some of the best. Eveything is smooth, great features and it's all round front page matirial. This is one of the best things I've ever seen, the author worked his/her best to make this awsome flash.

-------

And that's how I view it, how I vote when it's all broken down.

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]

XBL / PSN - Voidist

Malice is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-07 13:39:25

Here is an idea to stop abusive Turd of the weeks, include a minimal window size for flash submissions in the portals, portal spammers like eatyourmumshead (Who is now <DELETED>, thank god.) sometimes submit actual hentai games then when they past judgement they change the window size to something like 15X15 pixels, I do not even know why you could set the window size that small, it's pointless!

It would need to be a minimal SIZE, something at least like 150X150 pixels, not a minimal area, or else we could be getting spammers submitting flash with windows 1000X5 pixels big.
This needs to be implemented i feel, it removes one method of portal spammers being able to get TOTW by cheating! Other spammers in the future may attempt this method.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-08 14:28:00

Another idea, give the rules topics some more noticable icons, newbies will notice the one topic thats different from all the others, won't they?

We need all new people to read the rules, it needs to be more noticable.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-08 16:33:42

At 4/8/05 02:28 PM, FrOzEn_FoX wrote: Another idea, give the rules topics some more noticable icons, newbies will notice the one topic thats different from all the others, won't they?

We need all new people to read the rules, it needs to be more noticable.

Actually, for such a simple thing, I think that's a great idea. Because the current icon is greyed-out, I think a lot of people miss it, or think it's not worth clicking. Making it an attractive colour could well be enough to encourage a few more users to actually read the rules.... think babies and brightly-coloured objects... =D
me like the blue, it looks pwetty

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-08 19:14:07

hellO!

Wondering why there is no audio forum section (but there is a programming in mySQL etc section?)? Odd to have an audio portal but no where to talk about it.

This might explain why the vast majority of audio submissions are never used in any flash movies (which is exactly opposite of what the Audio Portal is supposed to achieve).

NG is a great site tho - i will put some music on this site even tho I don't expect anyone will listen or use it. :(

peace!

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-08 19:16:53

At 4/8/05 07:14 PM, HatHead wrote: stuff

Why did you post this here? You just made a topic about it in the General Forum and copied the post exactly here.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-08 19:18:04

At 4/8/05 07:16 PM, _IAMCanadian_ wrote:
At 4/8/05 07:14 PM, HatHead wrote: stuff
Why did you post this here? You just made a topic about it in the General Forum and copied the post exactly here.

Because a moderator told him to. Fucking hell, read a bit more.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-08 19:26:20

At 4/8/05 07:14 PM, HatHead wrote: Wondering why there is no audio forum section (but there is a programming in mySQL etc section?)? Odd to have an audio portal but no where to talk about it.

Thanks for re-posting this here.
I've never really even considered the idea of an Audio or Music Forum before, but judging from the sheer quantity of submissions to the AP, there are obviously many talented musicians who hang out on the site, and it does seem like a sensible idea to give them somewhere to discuss software & techniques and request reviews. As usual, I have no idea how much work for James would be required in setting up another forum on NG, but I second HatHead's idea.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-08 20:28:41

At 4/8/05 07:14 PM, HatHead wrote: Wondering why there is no audio forum section

Well, seems we have one now. Just need it to be added to the forum jump drop down menu in due course.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-09 04:31:52

At 4/4/05 09:05 AM, FrOzEn_FoX wrote: Not gonna work, some flash authors put their names onto the swf and stuff to prevent theft, and when we cannot see who submitted it, too many people could get away with stealing flash.

Wade is planning to put the "stolen" whistle option on every submission page (because he's getting too many emails about stolen flash on the site), so if it's stolen, we could flag it afterwards when we see the author's user information. Yoink's idea has crossed my mind too, and as much as it would make more people vote based on the content of the flash rather than the author's reputation, It'd still be somewhat annoying not to know who the author is and what series may it be a part of.

The timer was a great idea, but I think the delay is too short for submissions that have a smaller file size. If the voting panel pops up immediately, users are more likely to vote based on the author. Even a 100kb file could go on for well over a minute, and the beginning of the flash may not always be the same as the rest. Maybe the minimum delay for the timer could be set to like 20 or 30 sec?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-09 04:54:41

Wow that audio forum got done quickly, thanks to Denvish, liljim and most of all HatHead for getting it done ! Who ever said things don't get done around here?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-09 12:59:35

At 4/9/05 04:54 AM, Tom_s00 wrote: Wow that audio forum got done quickly

If James is a halfway decent coder (which he obviously is :P), he writes his code such that all he has to do is add just a few lines to add new forums... it wouldn't make sense to have it all need to be rewritten -- if it takes an extra hour when you're first setting it up, it usually pays off when you actually use the "duplication" code rather than copying/pasting or rewriting.

But, it looks like he accidentally left the audio forum off the dropdown box that has --All Access--, General, Where is/How to?, etc. This was probably not automated, so that regular users didn't get links to the mod forums and then create hundreds of topics about them :X

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-09 13:19:22

Oops, I just saw in Devish's thread over in the Audio forum that it's cached and will update tomorrow.

In any case, it's an excellent idea that I'm sure will help out the audio portal immensely.

In order to get further support for the Audio Portal, is there any chance of getting any sort of Flash media player for the front page? To see an idea of what I'm talking about (sorry for this song), check out this page. Something even that simple, possibly on a randomized playlist, would only gain exposure for the Audio Portal. The only downside that I can think right off the top of my head would be bandwidth issues for when people leave it running, but bandwidth has never been a serious issue as far as I can tell, for Newgrounds.

Then I noticed a small cosmetic error on http://newgrounds.com/audio/list.php?which=genre&id=12 where the hours are in 24-hour format but it still says AM or PM.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-09 13:32:44

At 4/9/05 01:19 PM, pieoncar wrote: Oops, I just saw in Devish's thread over in the Audio forum that it's cached and will update tomorrow.

It's working now...

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-09 15:36:11

Hopefully a moderator might see this...
Don't you think there should be a Art & Signature Forum in NG. So that people could ask other users to rate their sigs and request sigs. And people can post mini-tutorials for ADOBE Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro 8 etc.

My idea probably wont get heard but don't you think it's a good idea?
Other forums have done it, for example the Playstation Forums.
I don't go to any other forum apart from NG's and recently i went to the Playstation Forums which i used to go to ages ago, and i forgot all about the Sig Forums...so i thought it'd be a good idea here!

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-09 15:47:24

At 4/9/05 03:36 PM, LDE wrote: My idea probably wont get heard but don't you think it's a good idea?

Unlike an Audio forum, we aren't in great need of an art forum. Most business concerning sigs is already carried out in the C&C section of Newgrounds. There, we already have a few sig maker clubs where anyone can give a reasonable request for a signature :

Amature Sig Makers
Insignia Sig Makers

As well as a place to get sigs rated :

Sig Raters Crew

And most photoshop threads can be put in the general forum.

I like the idea myself, but I really don't see a need for it. Supply and demand, and all that.

FUCK

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-09 19:16:08

At 4/9/05 03:47 PM, Tremour wrote: Most business concerning sigs is already carried out in the C&C section of Newgrounds.
And most photoshop threads can be put in the general forum.

That's the problem, most newbies to the newgrounds forums have no clue about this...everything sig related is scattered everywhere...if we put it all in one forum, people will know where to go to get their rated and get sig requests etc.

And about the photoshop threads being put in the general forum, the general forum is constantly getting spam therefore, it is easy for a thread to be lost in minutes...it is hard to find decent threads. But if we put it in a seperate it would be much easier...put it this way...NG Forums needs to be organized a bit more.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-09 19:37:12

At 4/9/05 01:19 PM, pieoncar wrote: but bandwidth has never been a serious issue as far as I can tell, for Newgrounds.

You're kidding, right? :)

Then I noticed a small cosmetic error on http://newgrounds.com/audio/list.php?which=genre&id=12 where the hours are in 24-hour format but it still says AM or PM.

I'll get that fixed up shortly.

At 4/9/05 07:16 PM, LDE wrote: That's the problem, most newbies to the newgrounds forums have no clue about this...everything sig related is scattered everywhere...if we put it all in one forum, people will know where to go to get their rated and get sig requests etc.

What makes you think that people will actually go to a forum dedicated to sig requests or art, rather than just posting in the General forum anyway? I had been reluctant to add an Audio forum for a LONG time, given that even though Flash and Programming forums exist (and all the other forums), people STILL insist in posting in the General forum, because it "Moves faster" or because they "Get a faster response."

They may get "Faster responses" to their threads, but they're not always the responses these people need (i.e. they don't give them the information they're looking for) - the people who post those threads are just too silly to realise that until after the event. I doubt signature requests would stop being posted in the General forum just because another forum existed for those sort of requests... And I don't think that a signatures forum would serve any greater purpose than the already well established and respected Sig makers threads in the Clubs and Crews section.

Sorry I haven't replied to any of the other suggestions in here for a while - it doesn't mean I haven't been reading or taking note of them.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-09 19:50:43

At 4/9/05 07:37 PM, liljim wrote:
I had been reluctant to add an Audio forum for a LONG time, given that even though Flash and Programming forums exist (and all the other forums), people STILL insist in posting in the General forum, because it "Moves faster" or because they "Get a faster response."

That's why you have forum moderators to lock their topics and tell them to post in the right place...

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-10 16:44:55

Here's a Idea.

There should be a N/A option on reviews. Some movies don't have any violence etc.

Such as There she is!, why would I give it a 0 it doesnt deserve?

Pic:

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature