00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ada242 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Old User Re-Introduction Thread

67,567 Views | 616 Replies

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-08-26 14:29:19

At 8/15/20 12:54 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: Hi, I'm GoryBlizzard.

Man, that shit was moving. I don't know whether that just caught me off guard but that was a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.

I started out on here at 13 also, an old school buddy of mine was dicking around uploading fuzzy flash games and he introduced me to the site. I guess I have Newgrounds to thank / to blame for my current career path, since I work in animation now, I'd always been artistic, but who knows if I'd have made the leap if I didn't have that creative part of me stoked and cultivated at that early age. I kinda hate my job, being anchored to a screen drawing seemed like an amazing deal when I was an introverted teen, but now I'm older I like seeing the world and talking to people, I'm not proud of hardly any of the content I create with work (it's mostly low-budget corporate jargon shit), and I feel like I should be out there changing the world or something instead? Maybe the grass is always greener.. Saying I work as an animator seems to be a winning line on tinder at least.

I think about my early time on Newgrounds a lot, I feel as though people don't appreciate how lucky we were to grow up during the first baby steps of the internet - something which will probably be around now until the end of humanity. We were the first generation to unwrap this incredible toy. For me, Newgrounds was the baseline for how a site could function; user-based, creepy, constant cool shit, a respite from the real world where you could figure out who you were without judgement. It feels like an 80s zine as apposed to a glossy tabloid which is what all of the big sites have now become.

Nowadays I feel more and more like I want to disconnect and live on a farm. Social media companies are terrifying, the internet has become a really shitty place which has made everyone really cranky, it's toxic, it's shrill, it means we can't even agree on what the truth is anymore, and probably landed Trump the election, I feel as though we're about 10 years away from large scale internet legislation. Newgrounds seems in retrospect to have got so much right, it had a user / moderator system, which I feel is one of those tools that's screaming out to be used on YT/FB to tackle the reams of bullshit and misinformation. It had a community that was perfectly sized, and if you hung around for long enough you'd get to know some cool people and all their quirks, I remember Dean and Earfetish in particular, both of which I ended up meeting in real life.

Newgrounds was a beautiful hot mess, and I kinda hate it a little for not adapting to the needs of the internet / flash being a crock of shit / the exodus of users to more intuitive sites. I still can't believe NG never made an app, or tried to plant it's flag with more authority on YT. A part of me is kinda surprised it's still going, but I'm glad that it is, because not having it would be a huge loss.. I've been posting a little more since C19 (mainly in the politics section, sorry), and I even whipped up a little something for the Elon Collab, where JohnnyUtah was kind enough to VA for me. That feels like some sort of NG goal ticked off.

Oh yeah, and I also have a really great girlfriend, although we don't take shits on each other unfortunately.

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-08-26 14:43:03

At 8/26/20 02:29 PM, Fim wrote: Man, that shit was moving. I don't know whether that just caught me off guard but that was a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.

No problem. I didn't really do much thinking when writing it. I was just hit with waves of nostalgia, jotting down thoughts, and comparing my current life to my past life, looking at what has changed and what hasn't.

Oh yeah, and I also have a really great girlfriend, although we don't take shits on each other unfortunately.

You should try it. My girlfriend has unfortunately been recently afflicted with COVID-19, which I'm sure is not nearly as bad as most people think since the majority bounce back from it quickly, but you do need to isolate yourself for at least 2 weeks and she is doing exactly that. It has been observed to shed through shit but we don't know for how long. It has only caused so much panic because of all the unknowns--it's a "novel" virus. But we'll get back to normal soon. We won't rush it.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-08-26 17:36:28

At 8/19/20 08:51 PM, ornery wrote:
At 8/17/20 12:08 AM, cast wrote: Hi. I've been here longer than all of you.
Where the ever loving fuck have you been.
If we can get you out of the woodwork then we should all clap our hands and cup our farts to drag @Jamoke out from hiding

I've been here!

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-08-27 06:08:27

Hello im thirty years old and have been on newgrounds eighteen years i am from the olympic northwest and

Im old hehe

Wut wut

$imlunchboxx

Buy ImLunchboxx dm me NOW!

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-08-27 18:24:08

Every time I come here I remember how I really need all of my posts wiped.

At 8/26/20 02:29 PM, Fim wrote: It had a community that was perfectly sized, and if you hung around for long enough you'd get to know some cool people and all their quirks, I remember Dean and Earfetish in particular, both of which I ended up meeting in real life.

<3

What's strange to me, when I look back on the internet of 16 years ago, is that I was somewhat ashamed to be posting on forums. Someone would come up to look at what I was doing and I would hide it. The fact that I had >20k posts on the Newgrounds BBS was something I would admit with embarrassment.

Nowadays, sharing your half-baked opinions on the internet is often characterised as a noble defence of free speech. I see some of the things people put on the internet under their real names and I can't believe that adults would admit to being stupid ignorant bigots so willingly.

send us a DM if you recognise my alias and think I recognise yours and we can add each other on FB.

I think one of the issues NG has faced has been an internet-wide problem. I mean, I suppose being heavily flash-based could be blamed to some extent, but really, everyone just uses the same four websites these days. 16 years ago we would visit a huge range of different websites. I doubt Something Awful, YTMND, etc are flourishing either. The internet is becoming monopolised.

I'm Rummy0, I had my account deleted twice cause of bullshit drama outside of newgrounds I originally signed up on 26th September 2006. I had another account before that back in December 2004 though.

I was voted "worst user" of the bbs back in 2011, then almost won "we miss you" in 2013 losing by one point to Stamper.

I made some flashes most of them are still up and linked on my log post.

I mainly like to watch the most stupid fucking spam flashes from the 00s cause I'm a fucking autist.

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-02 00:30:46

At 9/1/20 12:20 PM, Rummy0 wrote:

I was voted "worst user" of the bbs back in 2011,

still are

| Steam | NoN bbs | formerly steelchair

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-03 16:37:25

At 8/26/20 05:36 PM, cast wrote:
At 8/19/20 08:51 PM, ornery wrote:
Where the ever loving fuck have you been.
If we can get you out of the woodwork then we should all clap our hands and cup our farts to drag @Jamoke out from hiding
I've been here!

Hey fuck off. Oh/ I mean hi buddy

... LOL WOW this signature is ancient.

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-04 22:28:34

At 8/15/20 10:59 AM, Sirkaotik wrote: Ight imma head out

same.

Musician with a computer older than Julius Caesar and humor drier than desert sand on a sunny day.

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-05 11:17:10

Hi again, I am Pipsqueak too

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-05 18:20:01

Somehow I managed to lurk here for something like 15 years. Can't believe I went through my teens and almost through my twenties without making an account. This site is a lot different now than I remember, a lot of younger folk apparently, so I'm glad there's still an older userbase I can relate to. Anyways, nice to meet y'all.

-con

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-06 06:25:36

One of the reasons I created The Tank Tribune was for older users who are returning after an absence to get a heads up about what has been going on while they've been away. So if you're an old member making their return, follow The Tank Tribune so you won't miss out on what's up.

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-07 07:09:41

Hi, I'm Dia,

did not introduce myself on the new thread but I'm a tumblr og refugee. I've been drawing for 3 years now and been posting here for 2 years now. Currently and art student but also an internet culture annalist . I also run @NGshitposts on twitter and I'm writing an comic too.

She/They, 19., I draw sometimes.

Support me on ko-fi, it helps!

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-07 22:09:26

At 8/23/20 11:26 AM, DingleberryClock wrote:
^^^ this guy

that paladin collab i mentioned was because he thought i was this guy

whaddup i remember you as being a black man

olskoo is the black man version of me that Dan also loves.

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-08 05:19:47

At 9/7/20 10:09 PM, cast wrote: olskoo is the black man version of me that Dan also loves.

@olskoo is such an old timer, they stopped posting so much at around the same time I started posting. They were an NG legend in like 2003

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-10 03:33:17

I have received a few PMs to tell my entire history, but I am not sure I would have the free time. I will have to return when I have more time.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-10 17:37:49

sss

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-10 19:59:48

Wish I saw this topic earlier, seen a few names I recognize from way way back.

I was the leader (still am?) of the NG Mafia and dabbled in sig making while I was heavily active. Now I mostly play games and watch whatever pops up on the front page.

This place was a huge factor in me getting familiar with Photoshop and Illustrator to start a career as a Graphic Designer and encouraged me to follow that passion. I'm an Art Director now in a marketing company and have been involved in the music industry as a DJ and visual artist.

Never pick a fight you can't bring a hand grenade to.

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-10 20:05:44

At 9/10/20 07:59 PM, Ghost wrote: I was the leader (still am?) of the NG Mafia

iu_166406_116154.jpg

Derivative trash

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-11 07:43:13

can I be mod yet

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-11 10:36:39

Shouldn’t this thread title be “re-introduction” since the old users have already introduced themselves at some point?

hello

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-11 10:38:06

At 9/11/20 10:36 AM, BUM-DRILLER wrote: Shouldn’t this thread title be “re-introduction” since the old users have already introduced themselves at some point?

Good point, I updated it!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-11 18:06:37

Hello! I'm Alesada. I play games. I Do Stuff Here. I Make Videos. That's all.

/Alesada ._.

/Alesada ._.

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-12 19:11:04

teh

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-13 13:08:19

Hello, I am Gagsy.

I am the British slag obsessed with dogs.

I used to spend a large portion of my late teens here back in the day cause I was terribly lonely and these forums were a refuge for me, something I could escape to and form friendships on. Sadly, as is a habit of mine I lost touch with most of those friends as I'm a terrible ghoster and the others just moved on with their lives.

I'm also sure that my crazy spending of anything with a Newgrounds logo on it kept Tom afloat in beer money for many years.

I drifted for a bit but now find myself back as the ole loneliness kicks in again. I honestly thought I quenched it.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-13 20:40:48

At 9/8/20 12:07 PM, Sevkat wrote:
At 9/2/20 12:30 AM, SteelChair wrote:
At 9/1/20 12:20 PM, Rummy0 wrote:
I was voted "worst user" of the bbs back in 2011,
still are
steelchair? more like homohair lmao

ain't comin back from that one :(

| Steam | NoN bbs | formerly steelchair

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-15 16:04:04

Hah hah! Everyone in this thread is like "where's my teeth at?".

Coolier than thou

Best Toon

BBS Signature

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-15 20:12:09

I only joined a few years ago.

Response to Old User Re-Introduction Thread 2020-09-16 23:36:48

It's been a while, but I'm around now. Bought a house, got married. That sorta thing...

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature