00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What game on NG has the best story?

765 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What game on NG, or any game freely available on the internet, has the best storyline?

At 5/17/15 02:52 PM, Tybia99 wrote: What game on NG, or any game freely available on the internet, has the best storyline?

Any game freely available? I'd have to say free to play MMORPGs. Even if the writing is subpar they need to do so much of it and make a whole world based around it with all the lore and quest text that they are forced to make a big story. I'd say Runescape probably has the best story in terms of it not being shit. the writing actually seems rather decent with good understanding of humour in places. Some things are obnoxious though since there is A LOT of "but thou must!" in the quests of Runescape. One in particular had you working for Saradomin who is the "good God" in the world to get an artifact which brings the dead back to life, but with a catch as it needs to be used by someone "pure hearted" and so when I get the artifact Saradomin tells me to give it to him so that he can bring my mate back to life, but I tell him no. As he has proven to be a dick and use it in the past to constantly rise the dead to fight for him so I decided fuck you I'm doing to destroy it so no one can use it.

But even after picking that option multiple times, it decided in the end "BUT THOU MUST!" and he attacks me and takes it from me and uses it and it causes the dead guy to be tainted by corruption since Saradomin used it in anger and I LITERALLY SAID just before it that this would happen and that was why it had to be destroyed. So what happened? He says "Oh no I used it in anger so this happened, maybe I should have not done it..." YOU THINK? Come the fuck on I literally picked that exact thing as I knew it would happen and the game pretends I didn't because "BUT THOU MUST!" Fuck you writers.

Anyway rant aside, and that "but thou must" shit aside, the writing is a decent quality for the most part. So since there is so much of it I would argue that is means this story is the best in terms of how much is written into the lore and that is isn't shit (for the most part)

There are definitely better shorter stories, ones which are precise and well thought out. But to make a story like that you really need to have it finite, as big stuff will have problems as a fact. Look at Final Fantasy 7 as a popular game example, the game had issues and every time they tried to retcon it and add more to it they just made the problem worse.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to What game on NG has the best story? 2015-05-18 02:07:11

Response to What game on NG has the best story? 2015-05-18 13:06:50

Any game where you get to beat up celebrities especially Justin Bieber.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to What game on NG has the best story? 2015-05-18 22:23:13

At 5/18/15 05:58 PM, ZeroDown wrote:
At 5/18/15 01:06 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Any game where you get to beat up celebrities especially Justin Bieber.
Like Grand Theft Auto but better.

They should really add him to the next GTA. Would be fun shooting and running him over.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

How about Epos? Although it's a relative short game, it does seems to have a rather intriguing setting... I hope they can do a sequel soon with more story and more variety with the gameplay.

Response to What game on NG has the best story? 2015-05-19 07:56:21

At 5/17/15 02:52 PM, Tybia99 wrote: What game on NG, or any game freely available on the internet, has the best storyline?

I really like the storyline in the Combat Instinct series, personally. It's kind of like a cross between Halo and Quake.

I also really like how McFretN expanded the storyline into the distant future with his final animation, CI: Unregulated, which takes place a long time after the events of the games.

There's also an old school NG game series called Terrain by SpiderMarch. Unfortunately he only made 3 chapters, but it still has a pretty cool and original storyline IMO. Fans of the Combat Instinct series will probably like this game.

Another old NG game I liked that had a pretty cool storyline was this top-down action/rpg game called Dark Prophecy by jamus-se. Unfortunately, he never released a follow-up to it. I would have personally really liked to see a sequel to that game, but I suppose it's a little late for that now (then again, he might surprise us!)

Response to What game on NG has the best story? 2015-05-20 09:04:22

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature