00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hopper0723 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Blackout

62,824 Views | 249 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Blackout 2012-01-17 17:00:52

To answer the question everyone has been asking, YES, we are going to participate in the Internet blackout tomorrow in protest of SOPA / PIPA.

Read my SOPA post for more info about how SOPA would impact Newgrounds. While the bill has faced recent setbacks, it is still a looming threat to the Internet, as is PIPA.

We need to make it clear that we will not tolerate anything that establishes government censorship of the Internet, no matter what the intentions.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:01:55

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:02:53

Excellent move :) Newgrounds is probably going to get royally screwed if SOPA makes it through.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:03:52

Could you, like, not do this.
Anyway how will this effect the voters? Since it starts at midnight and is for 24 hours?

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:03:53

I haven't heard anything about this blackout.

Is NG going to be down all day then?

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:03:59

Glad to hear you're participating, without the big sites, the movement will fail. The internet is not only one of the greatest sources of entertainment these days, it's also the largest and most advanced school. There should be no censorship on learning.

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:07:45

Tom, don't give in peer pressure. You don't have to shut down NG to be part of the cool crowd of hippie internet protestors. We love you for who you are and know that you hate SOPA.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:08:38

WE WILL SMUSH THE COCK OF FREEDOM INTO THE FACE OF CORRUPTION!!!!

Blackout

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:09:55

At 1/17/12 05:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: To answer the question everyone has been asking, YES, we are going to participate in the Internet blackout tomorrow in protest of SOPA / PIPA.

Read my SOPA post for more info about how SOPA would impact Newgrounds. While the bill has faced recent setbacks, it is still a looming threat to the Internet, as is PIPA.

We need to make it clear that we will not tolerate anything that establishes government censorship of the Internet, no matter what the intentions.

Freaking love it, seeya in two days then, Tom. Thanks for the warning, I shall download the necessary flash games for my survival.

.pazzaW

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:10:07

Awesome. I will spend the time the site is down tomorrow reflecting on my pure hatred for SOPA.

I will channel it into raw power

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:10:52

Fuck SOPA!!

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:10:53

Is this the WHOLE site going down or just front page as you previously stated?

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:11:28

Yes! Thanks for supporting this Tom, it just sucks that schools can't do it. That would emphasize this protest beyond all recognition. SOPA and PIPA suck balls, and some news I've heard earlier was that due to Public hate of SOPA, it has been totally shelved, but PIPA is still a threat.

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:11:31

I have to admit, I don't see how an internet blackout of even the big sites like wiki will make an impact. I mean, it's not like public sector workers going on strike and thus causing chaos due to their actions. People just won't be able to access some sites for a day. Maybe I'm just not seeing the big picture here.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:12:48

I fully support this decision.

Even though SOPA has been shelved due to pressure from the president, it is still a threat - as are other similar bills, such as PIPA.

See you on the other side, gentlemen.

Blackout

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:13:22

At 1/17/12 05:03 PM, Auz wrote: I haven't heard anything about this blackout.

Is NG going to be down all day then?

Most likely in the range of 8am-8pm EST.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:13:35

Good luck to you, SOPA will be a huge mistake if the government pass this crap. I mean it's something they used in China for crying out loud.

To even think about censoring the internet, I mean what the hell?

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:13:43

At 1/17/12 05:11 PM, Gagsy wrote: I have to admit, I don't see how an internet blackout of even the big sites like wiki will make an impact. I mean, it's not like public sector workers going on strike and thus causing chaos due to their actions. People just won't be able to access some sites for a day. Maybe I'm just not seeing the big picture here.

It's to show what hell would be like if sites like this had "offending content" and were shut down all together, and I admit, if SOPA comes to pass, I shall start an uprising against the U.S.A.

.pazzaW

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:14:54

At 1/17/12 05:07 PM, ZJ wrote: Tom, don't give in peer pressure. You don't have to shut down NG to be part of the cool crowd of hippie internet protestors. We love you for who you are and know that you hate SOPA.

I'll admit I was on the fence for a while because the whole thing feels more like a publicity stunt than a protest sometimes, however I'm against SOPA and want to be on the right side of history.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:15:45

At 1/17/12 05:10 PM, Bahamut wrote: Is this the WHOLE site going down or just front page as you previously stated?

Really just the front page, so you can still find the rest if you come in from behind.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:18:11

I'm in complete support of Blackout 2012.

Freedom is one of the few things that should be given to all mankind, if nothing else.

Freedom to information is essential to human progression. Without it, man is back in the dark.

Freedom should never be given up. If the US gives up its freedom, pressure will be on other countries to do the same.

Companies should not control government. Government should not control its people.

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:19:11

Do we have the day off tmrw tom

None

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:20:27

At 1/17/12 05:19 PM, Luis wrote: Do we have the day off tmrw tom

No you gotta finish that NG Photobook.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:23:11

At 1/17/12 05:11 PM, Gagsy wrote: I have to admit, I don't see how an internet blackout of even the big sites like wiki will make an impact. I mean, it's not like public sector workers going on strike and thus causing chaos due to their actions. People just won't be able to access some sites for a day. Maybe I'm just not seeing the big picture here.

I guess it's just to give people an idea of what the impact could be and to get more support in the "anti-" camp. Some people might not really be sure what this act will mean for them, but when they see their favourite websites will go down they suddenly realise SOPA is going to suck for them too.

It's not really meant as a pain in the ass to the government or whoever is behind SOPA, like strikes usually are.

Anyway, I support this decision as well. It's nice knowing it's probably only going to be from 8 to 8 and the back door will still be open though.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:23:12

At 1/17/12 05:13 PM, DETHman666 wrote:
It's to show what hell would be like if sites like this had "offending content" and were shut down all together, and I admit, if SOPA comes to pass, I shall start an uprising against the U.S.A.

I just can't imagine the people behind SOPA or whoever is thinking of passing it (cannot pretend to know the innings of US law making, I don't even understand it in England), will go tomorrow "Well shit, my kid couldn't copy and paste his history assignment from the internet, we better stop this SOPA from passing."

If Google did a mass blackout, just completely went offline for a day then maybe it would achieve something. I just don't think the ones who have the power to pass SOPA are going to be that net savvy anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:24:53

At 1/17/12 05:23 PM, Auz wrote:
I guess it's just to give people an idea of what the impact could be and to get more support in the "anti-" camp. Some people might not really be sure what this act will mean for them, but when they see their favourite websites will go down they suddenly realise SOPA is going to suck for them too.

Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks :)

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:26:55

At 1/17/12 05:22 PM, WeHaveFreshCookies wrote:
At 1/17/12 05:15 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/17/12 05:10 PM, Bahamut wrote: Is this the WHOLE site going down or just front page as you previously stated?
Really just the front page, so you can still find the rest if you come in from behind.
Pussying out, eh? I would say that you should black out everything. But that would be expensive.

I do not really think that he is pussying out, more like taking half-steps.

I am INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:28:59

I have sincere respect for you making that decision.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:29:05

I'd be all for taking the whole site down temporarily, but I guess the FP is better than nothing.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 17:31:11

Just something I made regarding what would happen if SOPA passes.

I hope SOPA fails, if it passes then internet will be ruined...or at least permanently scarred for life.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature