Respond to this Topic
PoopyMcButt
PoopyMcButt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 18:52:44 Reply

It will show the impact to the people that use the site regularly, but in the eyes of the government Newgrounds being offline wont do much, if anything. Sites like google, facebook, youtube and twitter will make the government shit in their pants. Basically any site that is used for communication will really hold an impact on the government itself. Its really showing the users what would happen if the front page was gone for 12 hours

BBS Signature
deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 18:52:59 Reply

WHAT?! No NEWGROUNDS XP on Wednesday ?!?!

SOPA YOU WILL PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blackout

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

BBS Signature
kazumazkan
kazumazkan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 18:53:36 Reply

good its about time we fight back

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?
was her name tenneassi
omtish

BBS Signature
Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 18:55:43 Reply

Daily awards are going to be WAY skewed tomorrow.

BBS Signature
Valor56
Valor56
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 18:56:34 Reply

I shall meditate tomorrow.

Follow me here: http://valor56.newgrounds.com/follo w You teach me and I'll teach you
Pokémon

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 19:21:01 Reply

I am very glad Newgrounds is participating in the blackout movement. If the SOPA makes it through, peoPle are going to be pissed. We have the right!!!

And even if it DOES make it through, there are ways to bypass server restrictions... Like Ultrasurf. Although, i have no idea what methods they would choose.

Screw SOPA... :/

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 19:23:52 Reply

At 1/17/12 05:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: We need to make it clear that we will not tolerate anything that establishes government censorship of the Internet, no matter what the intentions.

Agreed with you 100%. While I think that SOPA and PIPA have no chance of passing at it's current state, {and even heavily changed and edited, I have my doubts about it passing.} it's nice to see that certain websites like Wikipedia and well, NG to say that they won't be pushed around by government censorship in any form. Unnessacary censorship in any form destroys any good intenions that it would have in the long run, and the path to hell is paved with good intentions, as the old saying goes.

Keep up with the good fight.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
AnonOps
AnonOps
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 19:26:23 Reply

A wealth of information can also be found on SOPA/PIPA at YourAnonNews.tumblr.com, which is available on the front page, 3rd topic down from the top. This can help educate those who are unaware on the matters at hand.

It's great to see so many people participating in the blackout. Also, to those with twitter accounts/feeds:

-Add the following banners to your Twitter pic: "CENSORED"|"STOP SOPA"

-Join @YourAnonNews and @AnonymousIRC and pledge not to tweet between 8AM - 8PM EST Tomorrow, January 18th. #SOPAblackout and #J18

Good luck with the Blackout. Hopefully this will send a message that we value our rights to freedom of speech and freedom to information, and that censorship will not be tolerated by those of us who voice our opinions.

Blackout

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 19:27:06 Reply

At 1/17/12 06:55 PM, Emrox wrote: Daily awards are going to be WAY skewed tomorrow.

Not really, the blackout is slated to start at 8 a.m. and it won't be long so the awards will go on as scheduled.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 19:27:29 Reply

Good.

I hope the 0.001% of the internet that dirty old lobbyists and politicians care about is also in blackout.

So if you're reading this, owner of JustinBieberTesticle Torture.com, please participate.

BBS Signature
Ryan
Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 19:29:00 Reply

At 1/17/12 06:23 PM, Stamper wrote: Health Department: We're getting ready to shut you down! Get ready, pal!

Restaurant: I don't like that at all...to protest, I'm gonna shut myself down!

I'm glad you support Tom's decision, Stamper.

Either way I don't care. As long as I can deposit and look at/touch myself to/talk about dicks everywhere except the front page it's all coo.

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 19:31:55 Reply

At 1/17/12 05:23 PM, Gagsy wrote:
I just can't imagine the people behind SOPA or whoever is thinking of passing it

You're talking about a country where cops are practically felated for planting drugs and beating protesters. A country where a news story about Justin Bieber is a lot bigger than any news story on the hundreds of thousands of civilian death in Iraq.

A country with a pussy president who voted to keep a shady oversea prison where random foreign civilians are kept and tortured because they don't shave enough.

The only reason SOPA didn't slide down into legislature faster than a greased gerbil up Mitt Romney's butthole is because giant companies like Google are against it and spending a ton of money opposing it.

I KNOW EVERYTHING

BBS Signature
TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Programmer
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 19:34:59 Reply

At 1/17/12 05:03 PM, Nghelper-1 wrote: Could you, like, not do this.

Wow, your sense of sacrifice is inspiring. You're my hero.

At 1/17/12 05:07 PM, ZJ wrote: Tom, don't give in peer pressure. You don't have to shut down NG to be part of the cool crowd of hippie internet protestors. We love you for who you are and know that you hate SOPA.

Newgrounders want this. A relatively small amount of people who visit Newgrounds actually read the news posts. This protest will ensure that everyone knows about SOPA/PIPA.

I got Flash CS4 in case you need something converted to CS3.

Drony
Drony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 19:40:09 Reply

awwww I planned to level up to a baseball bat tomorrow

Just kidding, by any means, shut down the whole site if it helps to spread the message about these dumb bills.

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 20:02:55 Reply

At 1/17/12 05:15 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/17/12 05:10 PM, Bahamut wrote: Is this the WHOLE site going down or just front page as you previously stated?
Really just the front page, so you can still find the rest if you come in from behind.

lol, and for my next trick I will walk on a bed of hot coals, with my sneakers on.

Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Movie Buff
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 20:04:35 Reply

Hmmm Sounds interesting but then again tomorrow I go back to school so hopefully It wont be too bad.

Then again I wonder if their will be a special header for teh site

I have a penis

BBS Signature
Benovere
Benovere
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 20:12:19 Reply

I fully support this decision to black out in protest of SOPA, but don't forget about the other bills in congress too. PIPA and OPEN are essentially identical to the abomination that is Lamar Smith's abortion called SOPA. Fuck all the bills.

Although, I don't see the point of Newgrounds joining in the fight when the majority of users already know of SOPA/PIPA. The point of the blackout is to not only edumacate normal users (IE IE users) on the issue and force them through boredom to get involved. Let's face it, the average age of the Newgrounder is 14.

So, kids! Take your parent's credit card hostage and tell them that until they call their Senator and Representative and demand that they not support SOPA/PIPA/OPEN, you will charge them $50.00 worth of candy per hour. And you will eat the candy, and they will get no sleep. The internet will not sleep until these bills are not only killed, but are buried!

Newgrounds takes no responsibility for any damages or costs associated with this protest.

To the adult user - if your representative or senator still supports SOPA/PIPA/OPEN, DO NOT VOTE FOR THEM EVER AGAIN! Even if you have to vote for the other guy in the party you hate so much (ie you normally vote republican but he supports SOPA, vote democrat). There is no excuse. We have made our voice VERY clear, and at this stage it is obvious to whom their services lie.

End political rant.

http://americancensorship.org/

-Lost Signature-
If found, please call 555-1212 to claim your prize. disclaimer - prizes may cause fatigue, bad breath, erectile dysfunction, tax audit, or anal bleeding.

BBS Signature
AnonOps
AnonOps
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 20:14:55 Reply

At 1/17/12 07:31 PM, poxpower wrote:
At 1/17/12 05:23 PM, Gagsy wrote:
I just can't imagine the people behind SOPA or whoever is thinking of passing it
You're talking about a country where cops are practically felated for planting drugs and beating protesters. A country where a news story about Justin Bieber is a lot bigger than any news story on the hundreds of thousands of civilian death in Iraq.

A prime example of this would be National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012; Section 1021.

This bill was signed into United States law on December 31st, 2011 by our president, Barack Obama.

During the time that this bill was first introduced to congress, to the time this bill was signed into law, it did NOT make headlining news. this bill allows the US Military to "detain americans SUSPECTED in involvement in terrorisim WITHOUT charge or trial and imprison them for an INDEFINITE period of time.

There was little to no News Broadcasts about this bill, even after it passed. Things like this slip under the noses of American citizens all the time, and usually it's the most important topics related to our National Security/personal freedoms, etc.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 20:25:19 Reply

I think it would get the point across if the whole site was down, but okay. Abobo!

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
ZombieMonkey
ZombieMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 20:26:45 Reply

Am I doing it right?

Blackout

"I need a katana to slice a banana"

Zachary
Zachary
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 20:33:23 Reply

At 1/17/12 08:12 PM, Benovere wrote: I fully support this decision to black out in protest of SOPA

Tom should be thankful to have your support on this pressing matter. It's settled! With the support of Benovere, www.Newgrounds.com will be participating in the blackout on the 18th!

Huzzah!

BBS Signature
Bluemidgetguy
Bluemidgetguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 20:47:00 Reply

I will lather my body in SOAP and fap while saying SOPA SOPA SOPA!

HRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGH!

MagicmushroomXD
MagicmushroomXD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 20:55:04 Reply

Tom, Thanks for helping us in the battle against SOPA and PIPA. I know you've had to put some thought into it, and we all appreciate you participating in the black-out protest to stop what could soon become a tragedy.

sparrow
sparrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 21:00:19 Reply

But I want NEWGROUNDS NOW!

Blackout

Sup?

BBS Signature
Salnax
Salnax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 21:21:59 Reply

At 1/17/12 09:00 PM, sparrow wrote: But I want NEWGROUNDS NOW!

Can it you twit! We have an internet to save via self-mutilation!

DaveB0rt
DaveB0rt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 21:31:24 Reply

wow how will we submit the zXCs SUCKS collab tomorrow??????

aaaaaaaaaaaa

HULK666
HULK666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Art Lover
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 21:43:11 Reply

if all fails i go to mexco

Idocreating
Idocreating
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 21:49:29 Reply

At 1/17/12 05:14 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/17/12 05:07 PM, ZJ wrote: Tom, don't give in peer pressure. You don't have to shut down NG to be part of the cool crowd of hippie internet protestors. We love you for who you are and know that you hate SOPA.
I'll admit I was on the fence for a while because the whole thing feels more like a publicity stunt than a protest sometimes, however I'm against SOPA and want to be on the right side of history.

At least leave the forums up. Anyone who goes here is no doubt aware of SOPA. Blackouts on websites are designed to inform the casual visitors, to make the point to them. Spread the word, but don't preach to the choir and beat them with a shoe.

sealdog
sealdog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 21:51:38 Reply

Some more blackout info

Below the video, in one of the edits, is a link to all of the sites participating in the blackout. Individuals can participate in the blackout as well by not using the internet at all.

Grub-Xer0
Grub-Xer0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Programmer
Response to Blackout 2012-01-17 21:56:07 Reply

At 1/17/12 05:02 PM, MiloBased wrote: BLACK USERS UNITE!!!

WE WILL NOT STAND BY WHILE NO ONE SEES US STANDING BY DUE TO OUR SKIN COLOR!!!

WE SHALL FIGHT FOR A BRIGHTER NEWGROUNDS!!

...Really?

BBS UOTD 2/4/11 | Con los terroristas | Join my Minecraft server at ngmc.teh-non.com!

BBS Signature