00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

The7thConqueror just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,088,831 Views | 77,370 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-30 14:56:05

I have a question for all of you...
Which is the most brutal band you have heard?

Metal Hell

The cold wind and the snow of this night, whips my heart of pure ice

My cold blood is running through my veins, but my soul burns like an everlasting flame

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-30 15:36:13

At 7/30/11 02:56 PM, rockereaper wrote: I have a question for all of you...

This is how yous plays the brutals musick

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-30 16:20:29

Anaal Nathrakh.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-30 17:03:45

Linkin Park

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.

Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-30 19:12:48

You guys keep forgetting Dragonforce.

Also, Pelican is fucking awesome. Cheers to whomever brought them up.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-30 19:29:24

At 7/30/11 07:12 PM, AniMetal wrote:
Also, Pelican is fucking awesome. Cheers to whomever brought them up.

Aint no ting brudda.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-30 22:39:43

My review for the Manilla Road album The Courts of Chaos is now up.

I also got Hell's Human Remains, and I'm really digging it. Not quite my favorite album of the year so far, but it is pretty damn good.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!

Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 00:29:11

Anyone have any good albums that came out this year?

I haven't really been paying enough attention to what's been coming out.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 02:48:10

Good day hell. I leave you with these good tidings and am off for a few more months!

How come we're still alive? In these kingdoms of filth, when heaven's so abstract and hell is so real...

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 08:54:57

At 7/31/11 12:29 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: Anyone have any good albums that came out this year?

Devin Townsend Project- Ghost and Deconstruction
Symphony X- Iconoclast
Hell- Human Remains
Artillery- My Blood
Believer- Transhuman
Mitochondrion- Parasignosis

Those are some albums I'm really digging.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 09:06:59

Right, I'm going to see Maiden tonight. I know it's the same show that Bahamut went to on Wednesday, but it's in Birmingham this time.

If he wants to slate Airborne, that's up to him. I'll reserve judgement until tonight and then slate them tomorrow. I looked at the setlist months ago, then promptly forgot what was on it and haven't been bothered to look since. I like the idea of a surprise, so I'll stick with that.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 09:19:57

At 7/29/11 07:46 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 7/29/11 05:17 PM, Bahamut wrote: Metal Hell, be fucking happy!
Haha if only my speakers were on.

Are they now?

At 7/29/11 11:05 AM, Bahamut wrote: Ah, I was suspecting the problem would be that I like Morningrise lots but little of Orchid. I dunno about you but I think there's some inconsistency there. I hope you understand my thoughts on their first two albums.
Yeah, I don't really get your thoughts. haha

I don't blame you at all.

Bah, fuck hipsters. I'd rather put up with emos.
Eh, i'd rather put up with you guys.

Hey, that's even better!

Speaking of Metal-Archives, they sucks balls
Pretty much, yeah.

Except the forums have shown to be a better atmosphere, more calm and I haven't come across any heated debates yet. The most I've seen is a thread dedicated to Manowar and to allow anyone to love or hate them.

At 7/28/11 10:05 PM, AniMetal wrote: Anyone who complains about going to concerts alone is a pussy.
So, do you go to the cinemas on your own?
No. When I go to the movies, it's to be with people. If I cared about a movie, i'd watch it on the internet on my own.

You can't do that with concerts. You SHOULD go for the music.

"No. When I go to the concerts, it's to be with people."
"You can't do that with cinemas. You SHOULD go for the movie."

See what I did there? :P

At 7/30/11 07:47 PM, batman64 wrote: So yeah, there ya go.
3 albums picked randomly from a stack of burned cds.

That's some interesting reviews. Do you have any motivation to write any detailed reviews at this moment? I've got some stuff I want to review but waiting for MA to moderate one review of mine is just a waste of time. I may as well set up my own site just to post my reviews.

At 7/30/11 10:36 PM, greensucksbluerules wrote: So is Wintersun's new album ever going to be released?

LOL!

At 7/30/11 10:39 PM, Zodir wrote: My review for the Manilla Road album The Courts of Chaos is now up.

Another good review. There are some tracks I never really get into but I usually think the other tracks make that up. So, next is The Circus Maximus. Not one I've heard just yet but I have ordered that as well as After Midnight Live. I'll be done with collecting all the Manilla Road albums once then and the new album arrives through the post. I'll only have the compilation album missing but I usually don't collect them anyway, unless they provide something new.

I also got Hell's Human Remains, and I'm really digging it. Not quite my favorite album of the year so far, but it is pretty damn good.

Oh yes, it's a great album. This album is in my top 10 for the time being but it might fall further down if all the releases in September kick a lot of ass.

At 7/31/11 09:06 AM, Coop wrote: Right, I'm going to see Maiden tonight. I know it's the same show that Bahamut went to on Wednesday, but it's in Birmingham this time.

No, it was Thursday.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 09:53:02

At 7/31/11 09:19 AM, Bahamut wrote:
At 7/30/11 10:39 PM, Zodir wrote: My review for the Manilla Road album The Courts of Chaos is now up.
Another good review. There are some tracks I never really get into but I usually think the other tracks make that up. So, next is The Circus Maximus. Not one I've heard just yet but I have ordered that as well as After Midnight Live. I'll be done with collecting all the Manilla Road albums once then and the new album arrives through the post. I'll only have the compilation album missing but I usually don't collect them anyway, unless they provide something new.

The Circus Maximus is Manilla Road's Seventh Star. Same sort of circumstances and everything. For me, I just think it is so damned inconsistent. There are some great moments, but then some really really shitty moments. I haven't gotten their new album yet, but I hope it continues to kick ass.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 10:12:39

At 7/31/11 12:29 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: Anyone have any good albums that came out this year?

My reply to this somehow got lost from the previous post but here's my personal choices for 2011 so far:

Turisas - Stand Up and Fight

Might be a controversial choice seeing as a lot of Turisas fans didn't like this one but I've really enjoyed this album and it's the first Turisas album I picked up. The moment I heard The Great Escape I knew this album had to be extraordinary. The tracks following that song also make it some of the finest and most epic (using that term correctly) songs I've heard this year. End of an Empire is a very climatic song that will stay on top of my head for a long time.

Falkenbach - Tiurida

A lot have been saying this is the weakest effort from Vratyas Vakyas so far. Maybe I haven't gone through all his works yet but I still find this to be a fantastic record. There's definitely something magical about Runes You Shall Know and I love the atmospheric section in the song In Flames. Tanfana finds itself to be a magnificent instrumental. 40 minutes may be too short for Tiurida but I'm happy there's no fillers here. It's a great album all around.

Falconer - Armod

Unless I've missed something big between The Sceptre of Deception and Among Beggars And Thieves, this has a stronger folk approach and I like it. Svarta änkan was a song that took me by surprise for having a very heavy sound for Falconer. It's quite a contrast to the majority of tracks on the record but it still fits in. The whole album makes the Swedish language look beautiful and it makes me want to learn more about this wonderful language.

Symphony X - Iconoclast

After hearing the previews for Iconoclast, I couldn't wait a second longer for it to come out. I knew Symphony X were going all out with heavy riffs and my ears were very pleased for 82 minutes. The title track alone makes it a winner but songs like Heretic, Electric Messiah and The Lords of Chaos prove to contribute to the album just as much as the title track. I can't imagine how the standard edition of this record can be listened to when you're missing out on three brilliant tracks.

The Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction

The one thing that came to my mind when I heard this album was how much some of the songs resembled Strapping Young Lad. Songs like Juular and Poltergeist could have convinced me Devin Townsend reformed Strapping Young Lad but then you have Planet of the Apes and The Mighty Masturbator which go beyond sounding like SYL. If you had to ask me the best song of 2011 so far, I would have to say The Mighty Masturbator. All I can say from that is, "Give it up...your world!"

At 7/31/11 09:53 AM, Zodir wrote: The Circus Maximus is Manilla Road's Seventh Star.

Yeah, I've heard of the backstory to this. It was what lead to the break from music for Mark Shelton. I don't have high expectations for the album, even though I'll end up having to talk about one song from The Circus Maximus at one point for my Metal Monday spinoff post for the band. Ah well, this album is only a leftover once you've got all their albums so you really can't expect a whole lot from it.

While we're on the subject of The Circus Maximus, Mark Shalton has stated on Facebook about a new band project called Hellwell. It must still be in the early works but considering the Shark is on this, I'm looking forward to it.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 14:08:49

Origin
Benighted
Fleshgod Apocalypse

Pretty awesome and agressive stuff.

Btw batman64, I've read your reviews. Not cause I'm not quoting you that I'm ignoring your stuff.

At 7/30/11 10:55 PM, batman64 wrote:
At 7/30/11 10:36 PM, greensucksbluerules wrote: So is Wintersun's new album ever going to be released?
Don't hold your breath..checked on their site...having technical difficulties so it's gonna take some time

Again? Or is it the same shitty message they gave to us back when they first delayed it in 2008?

For Metal albums, I suggest

Benighted - Asylum Cave (Some Brutal and Technical Death Metal/Grindcore)
Symphony X - Iconoclast (Progressive Metal, biatch)

and some non-metal stuff I enjoy

Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care (Very atmospheric and great Post-Rock)
Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise (They call it Deep House and Minimalist. It's ambient, it's groovy, it's unique and it sounds great!)

ORBS - The Northwestern Bearitories: A. We The Animal

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 16:01:40

At 7/31/11 12:41 PM, greensucksbluerules wrote: First there was Chinese Democracy

I fucking lol'd.

At 7/31/11 09:19 AM, Bahamut wrote: Are they now?

Yeah I heard it. Nothing overly interesting or new compared to their '07 album. Regardless, i'll probably invest in the EP anyway.

"No. When I go to the concerts, it's to be with people."
"You can't do that with cinemas. You SHOULD go for the movie."

See what I did there? :P

There's a difference.

Watching a movie in a theater VS at home = Very few differences.
Watching a concert in person VS a recorded show online = Everything's different, even the music quality is usually greatly distorted when being recorded.

I see your point, but still.

Plus, generally speaking I would hope YOU guys of all people have enough respect for music and musicians as a whole to know that metal bands need as many fans going to their shows as possible to support themselves...

Also, I hated the new Turisas album haha.

I'm starting the list with the albums other people already recommended, just to help reinforce their opinions buuuut my RECOMMENDATIONS OF 2011 SO FAR:

Symphony X - Iconoclasm
Devin Townsend Project - Ghost
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction
Obscura - Omnivium
Onslaught - Sounds Of Violence
Havok - Time Is Up
Thrash Or Die - Poser Holocaust
Ulcerate - The Destroyers Of All
Between The Buried And Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues (EP)
Last Chance To Reason - Level 2
Riverside - Memories In My Head (EP)
Little Scream - The Golden Record
MaYan - Quarterpast
Fair To Midland - Arrows And Anchors
Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
Scale The Summit - The Collective

Beware, not ALL of that is metal. I've heard some other albums of 2011 such as the new Morbid Angel, new Turisas, new In Flames, new Crowbar, new Pagan's Mind and the new Destruction. Needless to say, none of these are particularly worth your time to check out.

The new Pagan's Mind is decent, it's just nothing compared to their pre-god's equation stuff.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 16:17:08

Knowing I have a massive backlog of reviews I need to get to, my Manilla Road The Circus Maximus review is done, just not up on the site yet (I'm going to wait a bit). But I want to branch out and review some different albums (a.k.a. Any album that isn't a traditional heavy metal or Manilla Road album) at the moment. Any suggestions?

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 19:51:34

At 7/31/11 07:31 PM, batman64 wrote: ok kiddies found something for you to check out
for fans of Deep Purple, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath
this is Tony Iommi's new project
enjoy
Tony and Ian Reunited

Was that Niko McBrain playing drums? Still, that kicked a fair amount of ass. I'll be looking forward to the full release.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 20:30:01

IMMOLATION U.S. TOUR WITH JUNGLE ROT, AND GIGAN
TOUR DATES!

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 21:04:39

If you haven't listened to Gigan:
Gigan-Space Coffin Hallucinations

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 22:53:57

At 7/31/11 10:12 AM, Bahamut wrote:
My reply to this somehow got lost from the previous post but here's my personal choices for 2011 so far:

Turisas - Stand Up and Fight

Might be a controversial choice seeing as a lot of Turisas fans didn't like this one

Oh, neat. I didn't know they had a new allbum. Why didn't the fans like it?

Falconer - Armod

My brother loves Falconer. I'll have to pick this up for him.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 23:12:10

At 7/31/11 08:30 PM, Anti-pie wrote: IMMOLATION U.S. TOUR WITH JUNGLE ROT, AND GIGAN
TOUR DATES!

The Kamelot, Diamond Head, Psychostick, Evergrey, Opeth, Kyuss, Primus, Dream Theater, Explosions In The Sky, Firewind, Ghoul and Enslaved tours are all much higher priorities in my opinion.

Plus there's still the second leg of the judas priest final world tour, the symphony x tour, the helloween/stratovarius tour and the Anthrax/Testament/Overkill/Death Angel tours which are all supposed to come this fall as well.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-07-31 23:13:07

The waves of flames that
I've unleashed will eat us all alive
The rage that burns within my heart
Is uncontrolled and wild
And now everything shall die!
Massive waves consume us all, the ocean is released
Our dying world quakes underneath
And sinks into the sea
And now nothing will survive!
Extinction waits for everyone
For gods and men alike
When all are gone of the old world
A new one will arise

Now gonna change my user name to Surtur.

Enter Thy Metal Hell

www.infowars.com Because There Is A War On For Your Mind.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-08-01 05:56:29

At 7/31/11 09:19 AM, Bahamut wrote:
At 7/31/11 09:06 AM, Coop wrote: Right, I'm going to see Maiden tonight. I know it's the same show that Bahamut went to on Wednesday, but it's in Birmingham this time.
No, it was Thursday.

I'm barely sure that it's Monday today - not enough sleep over the weekend, plus a frankly amazing show from Maiden last night.

Airbourne can be summed up by their song lyrics "Ain't no way, but the hard way, so get used to it." We got through it and as the roadies wheeled off their 24 Marshall Amps, lighting setup and pitiful drum setup, compared to Nicko's, we knew that we were getting ready for the real thing.

I'll be debating this with myself for days, but I think that the best song they did was Dance of Death, but then I love that song. Dr. Sticks wasn't impressed that they didn't play Aces High, so I'll make that up for him in the car tonight.

There were two particular highlights that I want to show you guys - First was when Bruce introduced Coming Home and he took a dig at the West Bromwich Albion fans, by saying that the song has nothing to do with their team, showing the partisan nature of the crowd, at least where football was concerned. The second was when they played When the Wild Wind Blows and we spotted Janick dancing around a merry jig in front of the post apocalyptic background.

The good news is I can still talk!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-08-01 06:39:01

So, this post is for those of us in here who appreciate Periphery and TesseracT, if you don't like them, then please save yourself the trouble, and save everyone else the few seconds to read over your useless post if all your post is going to consist of is "OLOLOLOL THEY'RE SHIT DERP" or anything along those lines, unless you have something worth saying to add to the discussion and such.

That out of the way, Saturday I got to meet Periphery :D they're such awesome guys, so chilled out and just great to talk to. Got a couple of things signed with my mate (pictured below).

The show itself later that night - wow.

As Silence Breaks - local supports, and unfortunately not very good, they didn't suit the show at all. Metalcore/hardcore/over use of bass-drops and breakdowns, etc.

I dunno about the rest of you who listen to TesseracT, but I really wasn't expecting much from them. However, they blew me away. Not only did they play an amazingly tight set, it was just insane. They're great to watch live and they really got into it and stuff. At the end of the set (they played Acceptance, which I'd been waiting for since they jumped on stage :D ), the singer stage dived and the mic ended up landing in front of me (I was right up front), and so I gave it my best growl/scream before giving it to my mate who done the same and then handed it back once everything was over.

Then Periphery came on, and it was nuts. Again, amazing stage presence, great set overall, amazingly talented musicians, just epic. Watching them have fun on stage just made their set even more enjoyable. Matt played a few drum jams in between while they re-tuned/swapped guitars around, which was pretty cool.

Managed to grab a bass pick off the stage, and grabbed me and my mate a guitar pick while they were being thrown out into the crowd.

So yeah, for those who said they're eventually going to be seeing them, you're in for a real treat.

signed shit - I got the P-plate, pickguard and poster signed, my mate got his guitar strap and P-plate signed

Metal Hell

Response to Metal Hell 2011-08-01 09:37:59

All righty, the review for The Circus Maximus is up. Go read it peoples. CC welcome and stuff. Also, I would like to say I am completely in love with Deconstruction. Probably my album of the year so far.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2011-08-01 10:11:23

At 7/31/11 04:01 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 7/31/11 09:19 AM, Bahamut wrote: Are they now?
Yeah I heard it. Nothing overly interesting or new compared to their '07 album. Regardless, i'll probably invest in the EP anyway.

Either way, it should be good.

Havok - Time Is Up

This is one I can easily agree with. Maybe not top 10 but still a good record nonetheless. Apart from Iconoclast and Deconstruction, I haven't heard the rest but at least it gives me a lot more to listen to from this year.

new Crowbar, new Pagan's Mind and the new Destruction. Needless to say, none of these are particularly worth your time to check out.

Crowbar and Pagan's Mind's new albums I have not listened to. You may say they're not worth your time but how do I know that? I'll listen to them and see if I can agree or not.

At 7/31/11 10:53 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote:
At 7/31/11 10:12 AM, Bahamut wrote: Turisas - Stand Up and Fight

Might be a controversial choice seeing as a lot of Turisas fans didn't like this one
Oh, neat. I didn't know they had a new allbum. Why didn't the fans like it?

I'm trying to figure out why. Maybe they changed a few things that didn't make them happy? Well, AniMetal said he didn't like it so we'll see what he has to say.

Falconer - Armod
My brother loves Falconer. I'll have to pick this up for him.

Do so, it's a highlight for power metal in 2011.

At 8/1/11 09:37 AM, Zodir wrote: All righty, the review for The Circus Maximus is up. Go read it peoples. CC welcome and stuff. Also, I would like to say I am completely in love with Deconstruction. Probably my album of the year so far.

Interesting review. It does tell me to be weary of the album when I get it. Hopefully I can find something to this album from what you found. After all, I gave Technical Ecstasy a listen and thought it was decent. Sure, it has some bad songs but I expected the whole album to be a lot worse.

Here's an idea: What about reviewing Deconstruction? It gives you a little breather from Manilla Road and afterwards you have Atlantis Rising to cover.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-08-01 10:31:10

At 8/1/11 10:11 AM, Bahamut wrote:
At 8/1/11 09:37 AM, Zodir wrote: All righty, the review for The Circus Maximus is up. Go read it peoples. CC welcome and stuff. Also, I would like to say I am completely in love with Deconstruction. Probably my album of the year so far.
Interesting review. It does tell me to be weary of the album when I get it. Hopefully I can find something to this album from what you found. After all, I gave Technical Ecstasy a listen and thought it was decent. Sure, it has some bad songs but I expected the whole album to be a lot worse.

Here's an idea: What about reviewing Deconstruction? It gives you a little breather from Manilla Road and afterwards you have Atlantis Rising to cover.

I don't think I could do that honestly. It's just so dense and layered and complex. It would be a serious challenge to review. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, and I've had it for over a month.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2011-08-01 12:45:17

Periphery should open for TesseracT, not the other way. That's all I have to say SMS.

At 8/1/11 10:11 AM, Bahamut wrote: Either way, it should be good.

Indeed. Blotted Science <3

This is one I can easily agree with.

Of course, Havok is one of the few good modern thrash metal bands.

Apart from Iconoclast and Deconstruction, I haven't heard the rest but at least it gives me a lot more to listen to from this year.

Oh fuck. Definitely invest into listening every album I listed. All of those are great.

Crowbar and Pagan's Mind's new albums I have not listened to. You may say they're not worth your time but how do I know that? I'll listen to them and see if I can agree or not.

The new Crowbar is just... nothing new. It's just the same old recycled riffs, vocals, drumming and lyrics. It's not a bad album, it's just.... i'm not impressed by the lack of differences between their 90's albums and their '11 one. Especially when it's been such a long time between Sever The Wicked Hand and their last album. I suppose if you're mega into crowbar, this album would probably make you soil your pants.

As for the new pagan's mind, like I said, it's good but it's just not good compared to their pre-god's equation stuff. haha

I'm trying to figure out why. Maybe they changed a few things that didn't make them happy? Well, AniMetal said he didn't like it so we'll see what he has to say.

Well, I don't like Turisas in general apart from a few songs. hahahaha

Do so, it's a highlight for power metal in 2011.

That being said, 2010 was an AMAZING year for power metal.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-08-01 13:20:27

Fleshgod Apocalypse

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature