00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Robnghost just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,061,673 Views | 77,360 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-03 14:55:18

At 3/3/11 12:25 AM, Xarnor wrote:
At 3/3/11 12:11 AM, Idiosyncratic wrote: Does anyone here know how to program drums or want to play/program some drum tracks for me?
I can help! I've got Drunk Kit from Hell and also Addictive Drums which is hecka realistic. Check out some of my metal songs to hear some of my programming.

so if I sent you some tracks, could you program some stuff. I don't care what the beats are as long as they're appropriate for death metal.

Here I am, bored with everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-03 15:16:56

At 3/3/11 06:31 AM, AniMetal wrote:
At 3/3/11 03:05 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Is that what they call Death 'n' Roll?
No, it's not a legitimate genre. I think it's just bands being silly, calling themselves that.

Silly or not it sounds good.

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-03 16:34:06

At 3/3/11 06:31 AM, AniMetal wrote: Wikipedia doesn't know what metal is.

Wikipedia is not an individual. It's made of the knowledge and opinions of thousands of people. People just like you or me could have contributed to these definitions. So yeah, Wikipedia doesn't know what metal is, but the users writting on Wikipedia might know.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-03 16:47:13

At 3/3/11 04:34 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
Wikipedia is not an individual. It's made of the knowledge and opinions of thousands of people. People just like you or me could have contributed to these definitions. So yeah, Wikipedia doesn't know what metal is, but the users writting on Wikipedia might know.

Thousands of people obviously have no idea what metal is then if they think viking metal is a genre.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-03 17:27:38

At 3/3/11 04:47 PM, AniMetal wrote:
Thousands of people obviously have no idea what metal is then if they think viking metal is a genre.

It's not thousands of people who wrote that article, come on! You are not that stupid...

I have found useful stuff even for University work on Wikipedia. If an article is wrong, I think you are smart enough to understand it...

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-03 17:31:56

At 3/3/11 04:47 PM, AniMetal wrote: Thousands of people obviously have no idea what metal is then if they think viking metal is a genre.

In fact, in wikipedia they refer Viking Metal as lyrical theme and not a subgenre.

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-03 17:34:16

At 3/3/11 04:47 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 3/3/11 06:31 AM, AniMetal wrote:

It's a sub-genre

A generalization so people can just say 'Viking Metal' instead of Folk/Power or Folk/Death or Folk/Black or whatever falls into the 'Viking Metal' tag.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-03 18:02:01

At 3/3/11 05:34 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: A generalization so people can just say 'Viking Metal' instead of Folk/Power or Folk/Death or Folk/Black or whatever falls into the 'Viking Metal' tag.

It doesn't qualify as a sub-genre, as there is nothing in the music that defines it. You cannot make up sub-genres based on lyrical themes.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-03 20:45:53

At 3/3/11 06:02 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 3/3/11 05:34 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: A generalization so people can just say 'Viking Metal' instead of Folk/Power or Folk/Death or Folk/Black or whatever falls into the 'Viking Metal' tag.
It doesn't qualify as a sub-genre, as there is nothing in the music that defines it. You cannot make up sub-genres based on lyrical themes.

I meant more of how it blends genres together in a more distinct way

At the end of the day I figure most 'Viking Metal' could just be called folk but then there are exceptions who infuse varying other styles whether it's vocally, or instrumentally to the extent where it can be disputed whether it is one genre or another. This does not mean I think of sub genres like 'Viking Metal' as anything official but more of like a jargon term.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-03 20:47:47

I see you guys still care about viking metal's dubious status as a subgenre. Why do you give a fuck?

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-03 21:23:05

At 3/3/11 08:47 PM, D3NTATUS wrote: I see you guys still care about viking metal's dubious status as a subgenre. Why do you give a fuck?

I don't care... I was just stating that Wikipedia is not shit, like AniMetal said. We were only talking about Viking Metal because of this...

Sonata Arctica - Abandoned, Pleased, Brainwashed, Exploited

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-03 22:13:03

End of the month baby. Only 26 more days until Omnivium is MINE.

Not that anyone is counting...

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-04 04:15:03

At 3/3/11 02:35 PM, AniMetal wrote: All of them.

In that case, I may as well try out some songs at random.

At 3/3/11 09:52 PM, Xarnor wrote: I've never understood why some people dislike Wikipedia so much. It's a valid source of accurate information.

If you're not going to rely on Wikipedia, where else will you look for information? Metal-Archives doesn't necessarily say EVERYTHING that's happened to one particular band.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-04 11:42:33

At 3/4/11 05:14 AM, Xarnor wrote: Anyone else listen to Finntroll?

Oddly enough, I'm not into them as much as I probably should. From Nattfodd, I remember a few songs but often forget the rest.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-04 14:02:10

Can you guys recommend me some very worth listening, dirty and heavy Stoner Doom and Stoner Sludge?

Bison B.C. - Slow Hand of Death

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-04 14:05:19

Obscura new album leaked. Loving it so far. I can link anyone who wants it if you shoot me a PM.

At 3/4/11 02:02 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: Can you guys recommend me some very worth listening, dirty and heavy Stoner Doom and Stoner Sludge?

Weedeater
Iron Monkey
Pombagira

Darn I thought I had more than that. I'll post some more if I remember it.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-04 14:06:01

At 3/4/11 02:02 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: Can you guys recommend me some very worth listening, dirty and heavy Stoner Doom and Stoner Sludge?

Church of Misery, Reverend Bizarre.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-04 15:40:19

I suggest you listen to Electric Wizard, pick up the album Dopethrone, it's a masterpiece :)
You should check out Bongripper's most recent album, Satan Worshipping Doom. It's not much of a Stoner record, but it's my favorite Doom Metal album, along with Dopethrone.
Then comes Sleep (American Stoner Doom Metal band). Pick up Sleep's Holy Mountain and Dopesmoker. But Dopesmoker is a 1 hour track, that makes up the full lenght of the album.

For Stoner Sludge, I suggest you listen to the album Amerijuanican by Bongzilla. The self-titled track is my favorite.

The band Dystopia (USA) makes some great Sludge/Crust. I don't know if that fits what you're looking for. But they make heavy and dirty music. Pick up the self-titled.

That's pretty much all I can contribute. I'll throw Mastodon and ISIS in. You might like these two, even though they don't really fit in the two genres you asked recommandations for.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-04 16:28:04

At 3/4/11 02:06 PM, DeIirium wrote:

Church of Misery, Reverend Bizarre.

Never heard about Church of Misery, but I will check it later.

I've here Reverend Bizarre's Harbinger of Metal, II: Crush the Insects, III: So Long Suckers and In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend. For what I've seen in Metal Archives, it's every full-lenght album they have and an EP. They might be the first band I will check because they're Finnish.

At 3/4/11 02:05 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Weedeater
Iron Monkey
Pombagira

Darn I thought I had more than that. I'll post some more if I remember it.

I have here my brother's Iron Monkey's Our problem album, I will check it later.

Never heard about Weedeater nor Pombagira, but when I get the time I will check them.

Thank you for the recommendations.

At 3/4/11 03:40 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I suggest you listen to Electric Wizard, pick up the album Dopethrone, it's a masterpiece :)
You should check out Bongripper's most recent album, Satan Worshipping Doom. It's not much of a Stoner record, but it's my favorite Doom Metal album, along with Dopethrone.
Then comes Sleep (American Stoner Doom Metal band). Pick up Sleep's Holy Mountain and Dopesmoker. But Dopesmoker is a 1 hour track, that makes up the full lenght of the album.

For Stoner Sludge, I suggest you listen to the album Amerijuanican by Bongzilla. The self-titled track is my favorite.

The band Dystopia (USA) makes some great Sludge/Crust. I don't know if that fits what you're looking for. But they make heavy and dirty music. Pick up the self-titled.

That's pretty much all I can contribute. I'll throw Mastodon and ISIS in. You might like these two, even though they don't really fit in the two genres you asked recommandations for.

I've already listened to Electric Wizard before, but I've only listened Witchcult Today, my brother also has Dopethrone here, I might check it later for sure.

Satan Worshipping Doom is an hell of an album, I love it, it's on the list of my favourite album, it's dirty, heavy, psychedelic, brutal... just wonderful.

I've already listened to Dopesmoker, my brother has listened that track multiple times, I really like how the music evolves and how the drums enter at the third minute approximately. I find the song a little bit tiring anyway, I need to check it again, and check Holy Mountain.

For Bongzilla, so far I've only listened Bongzilla's Gateway, and it's dirty, really dirty and powerful, really liked it. I might check Americanjuanican later anyway.

I've heard Nev talking about Dystopia before, so I searched about them, listened a track or two and I've enjoyed it, but I wasn't in the mood to listen to Dystopia, I might check them again later.

Mastodon! I love them, Blood Mountain, Crack the Skye and Leviathan are my favourite albums, and they're one of my favourite bands.

I have here some of my brother's Isis albums, I've already listened a few songs and I really need to check them again.

Thank you for the recommendations.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-04 18:12:58

At 3/4/11 05:14 AM, Xarnor wrote: Anyone else listen to Finntroll? Lashmush recommended me a ton of bands a while back and I'm still checking them all out, and Finntroll was next on the list. I'm not familiar with folk metal at all, and I'm really enjoying Finntroll. The fact that they mic their drums very well probably has something to do with that.

Funny thing, I just saw them on sunday.

They're far from my favorite folk metal band, but they are very fun and quite enjoyable, especially live or in a car with friends. :D

At 3/4/11 04:15 AM, Bahamut wrote:
At 3/3/11 02:35 PM, AniMetal wrote: All of them.
In that case, I may as well try out some songs at random.

I would recommend starting with God's Equation. haha

But yeah, all their stuff is worth checking out IMO.

Also, for some random reason a few of my posts keep disappearing - I had 9,992 posts yesterday. O.o

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-04 18:24:10

At 3/4/11 06:12 PM, AniMetal wrote: I would recommend starting with God's Equation. haha

Oh well, it's at least one way to listen to them.

Also, for some random reason a few of my posts keep disappearing - I had 9,992 posts yesterday. O.o

Yeah, it tends to happen when users are deleted and all their posts go (or just their posts) and you've replied in some of their threads. No biggie, though.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-04 19:19:15

At 3/4/11 07:03 PM, Xarnor wrote:
At 3/4/11 06:12 PM, AniMetal wrote: They're far from my favorite folk metal band, but they are very fun and quite enjoyable, especially live or in a car with friends. :D
Seeing as how they're the first folk metal band I've listened to and I really like it, perhaps you could recommend me some other folk bands?

Try

Equilibrium
Finsterforst

And em... maybe Turisas... and Korpiklaani...

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-04 22:47:01

And em... maybe Turisas... and Korpiklaani...

Not korpiklaani - they suck and are overrated as fuck.
Not Turisas - they suck and are overrated as fuck.

Honestly, I know tons of folk metal bands but for beginers recommendations: Eluveitie, Wintersun, Ensiferum, Equilibrium.

These bands aren't my favorites either or the most underground, but they're definitely good beginner bands.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-05 02:00:01

Aight, I need to find the genre that fits my likings. I tried listening to Electric Wizard, and Bongzilla, and a band called Thorun, I don't know why but I didn't really like it. It was kinda cool, but it bugged me. I'm just gonna describe a few things I love about metal, and go from there. So, I'm looking for epic guitar play, solos, riffs, intros, etc. I like lots of bass too, tuned low, but not to low, preferably distorted. I also like double pedal drums, but not like black metal. The vocal I don't really care about, and lyrics I don't care about. So, help me out here, throw some bands out that sound like this, and we'll go from there. Thanks

"And Fire Will Rain Down Upon Us, Then We Shall Know, The Divines Love For Mankind Has Degenerated And Now We Shall Be Punished..."

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-05 03:26:18

I've heard most of those bands, including the Metalcore ones on the thread. I was looking for something different, that I possibly haven't heard of.

"And Fire Will Rain Down Upon Us, Then We Shall Know, The Divines Love For Mankind Has Degenerated And Now We Shall Be Punished..."

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-05 03:58:12

Why am I up at this hour with the Soviet national anthem blaring in my head?

Enter Thy Metal Hell

www.infowars.com Because There Is A War On For Your Mind.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-05 04:41:47

At 3/5/11 03:26 AM, SoullessMonster wrote: I've heard most of those bands, including the Metalcore ones on the thread. I was looking for something different, that I possibly haven't heard of.

Then list a few bands you like, and we'll share some stuff with you, based on what you already like.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-05 06:56:04

I'm off to see Manowar tonight!

HAIL, HAIL HAIL & KILL!

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-05 12:15:17

Eyehategod

Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-05 13:30:25

At 3/4/11 11:43 PM, Xarnor wrote: Thanks guys! I'll check em out, even the overrated ones.

All should be good to listen to except for Korpiklaani (and Eluveitie and Finsterforst but I haven't listened to either of them). From what I've heard, they only have a memorable song or two on each album and the rest is forgettable. They have some fun songs but they seem to release albums too frequently which is a concern for their quality of music. As for Turisas which AniMetal spoke against, I haven't listened to the first two albums but the new one is really good. It's my favourite 2011 release so far.