00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YubaOfficial just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

368,592 Views | 4,137 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 16:34:39

At 10/28/11 04:06 PM, idiot-monarch wrote:
At 10/28/11 02:57 PM, Wolfos wrote:
At 10/28/11 07:57 AM, Cootie wrote: Should have gotten a Mac. They are best for game development, also the cheapest.
Fixed for the truth (seriously, this is true).
Sorry for going off-topic, but where does the 'Macs are better for art/editing/development' thing come from? How are they superior to a Windows PC with Photoshop/Flash/UDK/whatever installed?

Alright, guys, let's please keep this on topic - we don't need a Mac vs. PC debate, we're all supposed to be gushing with excitement for one of our most anticipated releases of 2011 :D

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 16:44:53

At 10/28/11 04:34 PM, RampantMusik wrote: Alright, guys, let's please keep this on topic - we don't need a Mac vs. PC debate

Yeah, sorry, I wouldn't have turned it into an argument, I'm just curious why people think that.

we're all supposed to be gushing with excitement for one of our most anticipated releases of 2011 :D

Ugh, the hype annoys me so much.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 16:47:51

At 10/28/11 04:44 PM, idiot-monarch wrote: Ugh, the hype annoys me so much.

Why? And why did you bother looking in the thread?

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 16:50:00

am i the only one who thinks that something is guaranteed to go wrong with the game when it's released?
I'm thinking something along the lines of either the combat AI being sloppy or graphics glitches/ poor optimisation for most computers.

That, or the dragon fights will be glitched and they'll either happen way too frequently (like having to fight several dragons at a time) or they'll decide to ignore you while you chop their face off.

Don't get me wrong, i think the game does look pretty amazing, but with all the poor releases this year (at least after they're released, and then the patches come), i've been sceptical the entire time.

sig made by Willzyx ^^

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 16:55:07

At 10/28/11 04:47 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 10/28/11 04:44 PM, idiot-monarch wrote: Ugh, the hype annoys me so much.
Why? And why did you bother looking in the thread?

Because I'm interested in discussing the game. I think I've said multiple times that I think it will be a fun romp, and I'm looking forward to it, but it's annoying how everyone has already made their mind up about this being game of the year all years without even playing it yet. Setting yourselves up for disappointment, if the pre-release hype and subsequent release of Oblivion is anything to go by (Oblivion ended up with shittier graphics and AI than was advertised, and of course a metric ton of bland copy-paste dungeons and quests).

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 16:56:23

I think that reviewer did exactly what most of us will be doing in two weeks time.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 17:19:47

Today, I heard the release date for our game in development...
We don't stand a fucking chance...

Guess what the date is?

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 18:01:17

At 10/28/11 05:19 PM, Wolfos wrote: Today, I heard the release date for our game in development...
We don't stand a fucking chance...

Guess what the date is?

Bullshit?

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.

Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 21:20:23

Guys guys I can't decide whether I should buy Skyrim for PC or 360. PC has better graphics (apparently they're better than the console version even on low), mods (not really that interested tbh) and console so you can fix some small bugs yourself. But the downside is that you have to log in to Steam to play. I don't like the idea of not being able to play Skyrim if Steam's servers are down.

360 has worse graphics, but is relatively more stable (at least that my experience with Oblivion and Fallout 3), and 360 gets DLC (the two first (?) at least) 30 days earlier than PC and PS3. And I wouldn't have to worry about connecting to internet to play.

I caaaan't deciiideee

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 21:48:34

I'd go for the 360 and then maybe later on get it for PC. At least, that's what I aim to do once I get my computer sorted.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 21:55:22

Also, is this correct? I know pretty much nothing about computers, and I have no idea what I'm looking at here.

Well, other than that I should be able to play it

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 22:24:56

At 10/28/11 09:55 PM, desert116 wrote: Also, is this correct? I know pretty much nothing about computers, and I have no idea what I'm looking at here.
Well, other than that I should be able to play it

You'll be able to play it with next to no problems if that's all correct.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 22:55:21

At 10/28/11 09:20 PM, desert116 wrote: apparently they're better than the console version even on low

Are you shitting me?

A man once described hell as a place where there is no reason. Thank you, Feminists, for dragging me into hell.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-28 23:02:18

At 10/28/11 10:55 PM, ModernPatriot wrote:
At 10/28/11 09:20 PM, desert116 wrote: apparently they're better than the console version even on low
Are you shitting me?

Well, according to the people in in this thread, one of the developers made a tweet:

Q: Can we PC users put the graphical settings any lower than the console ones?

A (from Pete): No.

But no one posted a link to said tweet, so I don't know.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 00:07:40

Fuckin' reviewers have their copies. Dan Webb on X360a is playing it and Jim Sterling from Destructoid did an unboxing of the Collector's Edition.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 03:29:08

At 10/28/11 09:55 PM, desert116 wrote: Also, is this correct? I know pretty much nothing about computers, and I have no idea what I'm looking at here.

Your computer should be able to run Skyrim fine. Don't expect to be able to play on high graphic settings without any lagg, but really, the graphics should be better than on a 360. I mean, the 360 was released late 2005... your video card was released around 2008/2009.

And I wouldn't worry about Steam's servers crashing down - I'm a full-on PC gamer and the only issue I have with Steam is that it takes a little while to sign in. But that might be because of my crappy internet. Either way, Steam has been perfectly fine for me.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 06:10:50

At 10/29/11 03:29 AM, The-iMortal wrote: And I wouldn't worry about Steam's servers crashing down - I'm a full-on PC gamer and the only issue I have with Steam is that it takes a little while to sign in. But that might be because of my crappy internet. Either way, Steam has been perfectly fine for me.

If Steam's servers crash, you can still connect in offline mode. If THAT doesn't work, you can download a crack somewhere from the internet (which isn't illegal, although Steam administrators would tell you differently, because you own the game) to play without Steam.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 07:28:47

At 10/29/11 12:07 AM, Makeshift wrote: Fuckin' reviewers have their copies. Dan Webb on X360a is playing it and Jim Sterling from Destructoid did an unboxing of the Collector's Edition.

I could do an unboxing, but I don't really see the point. I mean everyone knows what you get already.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 08:13:29

At 10/28/11 11:02 PM, desert116 wrote: Well, according to the people in in this thread, one of the developers made a tweet:

Q: Can we PC users put the graphical settings any lower than the console ones?

A (from Pete): No.

But no one posted a link to said tweet, so I don't know.

Well, either way I'll he pleased, seeing as the gameplay that we've seen so far has been the console version, and I more than pleased me.

A man once described hell as a place where there is no reason. Thank you, Feminists, for dragging me into hell.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 17:30:21

At 10/29/11 04:33 PM, Tramps wrote: Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood explained. I refuse to read it because it has SPOILERS written in big bold letters at the top but it's there for anyone else.

Okay I'm going to draw the line there and not watch it. Considering that this time in 2 weeks I'll be having a massive nerd out about it with my friend anyway.

It seems kind of weird to me that it's so close to release, I'm so used to it being miles away from release day. I'm not complaining though!

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 21:34:12

Don't fall for the hype.

>auto-aim for melee&ranged. no birthsigns. waiting regenerates full health. Bioware-inspired romances. attributes replaced with WoW skill trees. blood-on-screen when hit.
>only 4 armor slots. no spellcrafting. no levitating. no mounted combat. only horses as mounts. generated fetch quests. classes removed.
>no crossbows. no throwing weapons. no spears. no flails. no clothes under/over armor. linear quests with no decisions. dragons respawn.
>consoles are focus platform, so no open cities. game uses tweaked gamebryo, and uses poor apple GUI.
>fast travel. world is designed with fast travel in mind, so expect copy-pasta land. also all races jump/run/walk/swim same speed&distance.
>reduced factions. only 4 are joinable, the others just being story attachments. game also has mandatory "Steamworks Support"(which is anything but support).
>no werewolves. teleportation ladders. map shows entire 3D world from start of the game. certain spells guide you through dungeons. quest compass guides you through quests.
>heavy level-scaling remains, dungeon&exterior areas lock on the level you first visit them with. also can't dual-wield shields.
>less skills. no medium armor, no mysticism, no hand-to-hand, no athletics, and no acrobatics to name a few. also no diagonal walking/run animations.
>combat is Oblivion but with tedious finish moves. pointless dual-wielding; can't attack with both weapons/spells at the same time, only combine spells.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 21:37:40

At 10/29/11 09:34 PM, Master120 wrote: Don't fall for the hype.

Get out of here, we don't stand for no h8ers!

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 21:40:20

At 10/29/11 09:37 PM, Dromedary wrote:
Get out of here, we don't stand for no h8ers!

You're a perfect example of a mindless consumer! Thanks for proving my point. Have fun killing the gaming industry!

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 21:48:22

And you know all of this for a fact, because you've played the game a month before its release?

I can usually tell when a game is overhyped, and a lot of the time I can tell when a game is going to be great before it even comes out. The only time I was wrong, really, was LA Noire - not to say it wasn't a very good game, but it wasn't as great as I was expecting.

Skyrim might not shatter first day sales records. But if the game is as good (or maybe even better!) than Oblivion, and if it even comes close to how amazing Morrowind was, then Skyrim will be an incredibly enjoyable experience.

Plus: fucking DRAGONS!

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 21:51:57

At 10/29/11 09:48 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
And you know all of this for a fact, because you've played the game a month before its release?

Yes, the demo at Quakecon. And SURPRISE, it's Oblivion 1.5! They took all the bad things from Oblivion and kept them in this game. They also had the nerve to take out some GOOD things. Attributes are gone, along with racial traits, birthsigns, and many skills. To replace attributes, we have WoW skill trees now.

Bethesda is clearly trying to appeal to the Call of Duty crowd! This series is going downhill! It's Dragon Age 2 all over again!

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 21:53:43

At 10/29/11 09:34 PM, Master120 wrote: map shows entire 3D world from start of the game. certain spells guide you through dungeons. quest compass guides you through quests.

Not only is there no way you could know most of that as fact but you act as if these three things are bad. In what way is a 3D map of the world a bad thing?

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 21:55:54

At 10/29/11 09:53 PM, djack wrote:
At 10/29/11 09:34 PM, Master120 wrote: map shows entire 3D world from start of the game. certain spells guide you through dungeons. quest compass guides you through quests.
Not only is there no way you could know most of that as fact but you act as if these three things are bad. In what way is a 3D map of the world a bad thing?

It removes the sense of mystery from the game when you explore, which was one of the major good things in the previous games. But now that's gone.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 22:00:56

At 10/29/11 09:55 PM, Master120 wrote:
It removes the sense of mystery from the game when you explore, which was one of the major good things in the previous games. But now that's gone.

I hate to break this to you but all the Elder Scrolls games had maps, a 3D map is just more detailed which makes it easier to use.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 22:02:23

At 10/29/11 09:55 PM, Master120 wrote:

You mean like how Oblivion's map showed you the ENTIRE world - oh no! I can see that there's a lake there? BULLSHIT - I wanted to discover that shit for myself!

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-10-29 22:05:21

At 10/29/11 09:34 PM, Master120 wrote: auto-aim for melee&ranged.

I'm sure you can turn that off.

no birthsigns.

While this is mildly disappointing, it won't ruin the game...

waiting regenerates full health.

Well. This does suck. But I haven't heard this anywhere else.

Bioware-inspired romances.

What's the problem with this?

attributes replaced with WoW skill trees.

Attributes aren't being replaced by skill trees. Attributes are, for the most part, being removed entirely.

blood-on-screen when hit.

I rather like this effect. And if you don't, there will most likely be an option to turn this off.

only 4 armor slots.

Oblivion only had five.

no spellcrafting.

While I highly doubt that this is true, it's disappointing if it is.

no levitating.

Levitation was removed in Oblivion.

no mounted combat.

I don't think Oblivion had mounted combat...

only horses as mounts.

Again, Oblivion only had horses as mounts as well.

generated fetch quests.

I don't know what is meant by this, so I can't provide a rebuttal.

classes removed.

>implying classes were important in Morrowind/Oblivion

no crossbows.

Oblivion had no crossbows.

no throwing weapons.

Again, Oblivion had no throwing weapons, and I didn't find them particularly useful in Morrowind.

no spears.

Again, slightly disappointing.

no flails.

No flails in Morrowind or Oblivion, either.

no clothes under/over armor.

Removed from Oblivion as well.

linear quests with no decisions.

Oblivion had linear quests as well.

:dragons respawn.

No problem with this either.

consoles are focus platform, so no open cities.

Cities weren't a huge part of Oblivion so I don't see a big problem here.

game uses tweaked gamebryo, and uses poor apple GUI.

Eh. Dismissable.

fast travel. world is designed with fast travel in mind, so expect copy-pasta land.

Iirc Oblivion was also designed with fast travel in mind and I had a lot of fun exploring Cyrodiil.

also all races jump/run/walk/swim same speed&distance.

Well, that's another negative.

reduced factions. only 4 are joinable, the others just being story attachments.

Oblivion didn't have much in the way of factions.

game also has mandatory "Steamworks Support"(which is anything but support).

It's not like you can't play in offline mode.

no werewolves.

1. Oblivion had no werewolves.
2. Werewolves have been confirmed for Skyrim.

teleportation ladders.

What?

map shows entire 3D world from start of the game.

I'm sure there will be a FOW like there has been with past Bethesda games, and if there isn't, the map likely won't be explicitly detailed.

certain spells guide you through dungeons.

Well, that's just weird.

quest compass guides you through quests.

This was in Oblivion, and I'm pretty sure you can turn it off.

>heavy level-scaling remains, dungeon&exterior areas lock on the level you first visit them with.

I have no idea what you're trying to say with this point.

also can't dual-wield shields.

While I can see the fun in wielding two shields, it's not as if this will render the game unplayable.

>less skills. no medium armor, no mysticism, no hand-to-hand, no athletics, and no acrobatics to name a few.

Medium armor was kind of useless in Morrowind, and it wasn't in Oblivion at all. Mysticism was fun, so if it's actually gone, that's another valid point. Hand to hand was kind of fun, but pretty much negatable as a skill. Athletics and acrobatics were just annoying to level up in Morrowind and Oblivion.

also no diagonal walking/run animations.

Again, negatable. While it won't be as realistic, not having diagonal movement animations isn't really a negative.

>combat is Oblivion but with tedious finish moves.

Bethesda is taking a good combat system and adding awesome animations. And you're complaining?

pointless dual-wielding; can't attack with both weapons/spells at the same time, only combine spells.

1. Attacking with both weapons would negate the point of dual-wielding, which is to be able to attack at a much higher rate. Also, Todd has said that two different spells can be cast at once.

Honestly, it's like you've never played an Elder Scrolls game before.