Reviews for "I Can't Escape"

You can never escape! The map changes frequently, and the ladders leading outside on the first level feel like they are programed so you'll never be able to access them -- be it a hidden pit to a lower level, or guarded by gate will never open (I might just be running out of keys by the time I get to them; would be nice to have something that helps track them)!

davidmaletz responds:

You are correct, all ladders are blocked on the first floor. If you're going to escape, you're going to have to break through common sense and make a ladder that was once unreachable, reachable (and it's not going to be as easy as using a key)! Or you can go the easier path, and see how deep you can go!

The build up of atmosphere was amazing, but with nothing to fulfil it (somthing to jump out) it left much to be desired, after a while of falling deeper and deeper and nothing to make your jump you no longer worry you just grow irritated by the darkness and the apperntly usless keys.
the controls where awkward, a large delay on imput and movement was stiff an awkward. that being said the best part was the build up of atmosphere.
2.5/5

I tried a few times and couldn't do it. It seemed like once you get a few levels down you start falling more often, even when there doesn't seem to be a hole there. I finally went and saw your youtube video and learned you need to open a door with an X on it... Gee, that would have been helpful. That X doesn't look like anything but decoration. After that it only took me 5 minutes with 1 more game and I got out. Nice game, could be a bit clearer, but I suppose that does add to the challenge.

I desperately want to like this game. It reminds me of happier days spent playing a public domain game called Labyrinth on my Commodore 64... but far more frustrating and unfair.

My first gripe is that when I find a ladder, almost always a) there's a hole in front of it, or b) no hole but I fall down anyway. This seems remarkably unfair, especially b). Whether this is an artifact of your maze generator, or deliberate, I cannot say.

The second is that you seem to have wandering monsters that drag you down if they touch you - but you never see or hear them coming. I suspect this is related to my "falling through solid floor" issue. Far more excitement could be had in the sequel by adding cues to indicate a monster's proximity and where.

Thirdly: Gates. Some open. Some don't. There is no visual cue as to whether one will open or not; no visual cue as to how many keys you have to open said gates. From comments I gather that you have to collect these and then find an X to reach the exit for the secret ending.

Finally... I am convinced that your maze generator modifies the levels during the game! In my last game, I walked around the cell holding an exit ladder, started again and found a gate and hidden doorway that wasn't there before. I don't know about you, but I rather like maps that stay relatively static. Who needs monsters when the maze itself seems to be the monster?

If you make a sequel, I suggest:
1) 'freezing' the generator during gameplay;
2) adding indication of monsters in vicinity (forcing the player to run away);
3) making the keys more important - say, by placing them on lower levels and forcing players to drop down to collect them, then struggle to conserve same on the way up;

Actually, with relation to 1), another option might be to, at regular and distressing intervals, have the maze move things around - holes, gates and so on - in other words, play up the angle of 'the maze IS the monster'. In other words, go down to get up - preferably without falling too far and being eaten.

So technically, a good concept, but unpleasantly hard in the wrong way as executed.

Ladders are either trapped or with visible pits. Thats ok. I can deal with it. But, when you walk around for almost half an hour and get dropped one level down for randomly trying to open door. That is a low punch.