00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

macybluetwo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Police Dept.

993,298 Views | 16,867 Replies

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-28 18:09:46

At 1/28/10 03:53 PM, mwmike wrote: Stolen Flash

Why do I always get in too late for this? damn

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-28 18:24:02

At 1/28/10 05:50 AM, TheNossinator wrote: NGPD Graphic 1
NGPD Graphic 2

Nice backgrounds. I'd love this crew over the EGB any day. Why? Well it's because I'm still coming out of being a spammer and I have checked their posts. It hurts my brain.

Spiffy wrote stuff

Yea, I hate that part when they post while I'm in school. In other news, coming back from school today I found out that my saves were put to 1,337. I will not post this all over the level up lounce at my uber 1337ness.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-28 19:41:46

Nossi!

How've ya been? Sorry I didn't respond to your op, but I finished typing mine a long time before you posted and fell asleep before falling asleep. Those graphics look great and I'm sure Tails can put them into place somehow somewhere. Good to hear everything's good!

You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü

"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-28 23:53:38

Sorry for not being very talkative gents. It's just that the recent talk seems to be about Nossinator. Some one of which I don't much know. Anyone care to tell me the story about this old member of ours?

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-29 05:08:22

Same for me in that I don't know about Nossinator. Nothing really to talk about other than how he's back. That's all. On the subject of typing much, it is hard sometimes. Hell when I try to make a Scarab topic, it's just a couple of 4 line paragrpahs.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-29 05:36:01

It feels like AGES since I last went out hunting for abusive reviews. I'm going to have to try and find some either tonight or over the weekend, depending on what time I get home tonight.

I need to try and get myself motivated for increasing my whistle status again.

I've been spending a lot more time in the portal as of recently though. Normally, I'll just watch my 5 flashes and then leave but now I've been looking out all the old classics and trying to watch as many as I can. I'm going to have to start leaving some reviews of my own, something that I do very rarely.

If I catch any of you on AIM next time I log in, I'll be sure to link you to whatever abusive content I find.

If anyone is interested on adding me on AIM, my username is DeanNewgrounds.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-29 05:58:56

Cool. I got my bronze whislte from the reviews myself, and then EJR's list bumbped it up to Silver before it got removed. If you find some then post them here so I can flag them too, if they are, and try to get gold. Hmph. EJR got Deity right before he took down the list, I wonder...

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-29 06:06:21

At 1/29/10 05:58 AM, letiger wrote: If you find some then post them here so I can flag them too,

Alright, I'll try to do that for you, although it would be much easier if you had an AIM account. I got one specially for this. It was Lizzardis who recommend I get one, and it is good for keeping in contact with the Newgrounds users that I have added, especially for linking each other to abusive reviews.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-29 06:15:01

I don't do that kind of stuff. Things like that don't really inrerest me in any way. Besides, we could post it here for all users. Flagged abusive reviews stay up longer than flashes and we usually see the flashes posted here too late don't we? In other news, I am a little ways away ( less than 20) from getting Police Lieutenant! Guess all that work did pay off, and now I'm getting a promotion.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-29 08:28:21

At 1/29/10 05:58 AM, letiger wrote: If you find some then post them here so I can flag them too,

I'd seriously recommend that you don't do that. There was once a thread in the Wi/Ht, called Rages Gift to you: Abusive Reviews. It started out as a very noble cause, but it descended into chaos, with people throwing reviews in that thread just for the sake of it and lots of people flagged indiscriminately, then complained when their whistles dropped to garbage.

As a result of this, the thread was locked and many users complained that they did not have a source of abusive reviews to level up their whistle. Do not attempt to recreate this thread was the very clear warning that was given by the moderators and that is the same warning that I am giving to you all.

Poozy locked this place once before and don't think that my sympathies with the EGB would prevent me from doing my job as a moderator should this happen here. It's a no, it's always been a no and there are no exceptions to these rules.

This is my only warning.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-29 10:51:43

At 1/29/10 08:28 AM, Coop83 wrote:
I'd seriously recommend that you don't do that.

Sorry, Letiger. I'm siding with Coop.

I didn't want to post links to abusive reviews in this thread in the first place, because I didn't think it was something to encourage, hence why I brought up the AIM idea. You should get an AIM account and come hunting with up. I know Lizzardis like to do this, and I was about to do some hunting with Spiffy before, but I had to pack, so couldn't.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-29 11:21:16

At 1/29/10 10:51 AM, GodsBitch wrote:
At 1/29/10 08:28 AM, Coop83 wrote:
I'd seriously recommend that you don't do that.
Sorry, Letiger. I'm siding with Coop.

Good move.

This is at least the 3rd time the idea has cropped up in this thread (I'd post a link, but Google advanced is being gay right now so I can't find the page). It's a VERY, BAD, IDEA. I'm tired of whoring out that link to my last blog post, so I'll just summarize why it's a dumb idea:

I have good reason to believe the indiscriminate flaggers that plagued Rage's thread are still lurking the forums, looking for anything that could be abusive to flag. Ergo, any review links, whether abusive or not, will not be healthy for the thread. Rage's was locked because of the unnecessary work it caused the review mod team, and re-creating it would only bring said work back.

Also, there's a chat room and several threads dealing with reviews in the NGPD forums. Since those are private, they can't be blindly flagged to death and so aren't such a bad idea (though there have been several mistakes made even in there). If you want to do this at all, use either of those methods; that's what they were made for.

And remember:the whistle is not for point-whoring. You do not need to resort to this to get a deity whistle. I never used Rage's thread, or anyone's abusive review list, and I got it within 6 months of making this account. If you want to flag abusive reviews, your best bet is, and always was, to find them yourself.

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-29 13:55:57

At 1/29/10 08:28 AM, Coop83 wrote: This is my only warning.

Thanks Coop, but don't worry, any of us that have beenaround here for long enough know better than to let him do that, so no worries ;-)

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-29 16:26:46

And yet this was why I said, a little while ago, that I would not post here much. Why? Because of something like this. Sometime like this. I knew it was going to inevitably happen which is why I tried not to. But then again, I could not stay away from this place. So now I am going to limit my posts here to once a day, well I will try.

Why do I never have anything good to say/add?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-29 21:25:37

At 1/29/10 04:13 PM, wcatdoor wrote: On the topic though I didnt really understand why people were being banned for abusive review threads. The mods would have no problem with one of theses threads if people actlly. participated correctly right? (just wondering, not planning anything stupid.)

In an ideal world, people would only report and flag obvious abuse, and there'd be no danger in creating abusive review threads. However, this is not an ideal world. It's the classic 'error carried forward' scenario:

1. Mod deletes a review due to individual circumstances (i.e. copying another reviewer, having loads of crappy one-liners just like it already, etc.).

2. Ordinary user sees the review disappear and assumes it was deleted because it broke a rule in-and-on-itself, regardless of circumstances.

3. User applies misguided information (read: "this type of review is abusive") to his flagging process.

(^^had there been no abusive review thread, the incompetence would stop here. The user would just end up flagging things no-one else does and not do anything towards the amount of work the review mods have to do. When an abusive review thread is present, however...)

4. User finds an abusive review thread / blog post and posts a load of reviews he thinks are abusive due to misinterpreting the deleted review, complete with reasons why they're 'abusive'.

5. Other users read the post and blindly assume the first user is correct in his judgement, and flag them all.

6. Review mods now have a long list of non-abusive reviews to deal with, which wouldn't have happened had the first user not told other users incorrect information about the review rules.

7. Once a bit of false info gets around, it can very quickly snowball out of control and prove very hard to stop similar non-abusive reviews being flagged, despite the best efforts of review mods.

8. The result = persistent headache for review mods, which inevitably ends up causing more trouble than an abusive review thread is worth.

So you see, even when started and used with the best of intentions, it still ends up proving a royal nuisance for the mods. Ergo; they'll never like the idea, because it turns into a breeding ground of misinformation. And that's making no mention of the blatant statwhore-ery.

At 1/29/10 04:26 PM, letiger wrote:

Hey, no-one's perfect. If you honestly didn't know about Rage's thread or what happened to it, I don't see why you should be penalised for it.

Then again, that's not up to me. But since you didn't actually do anything here, You should be fine.

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-30 00:24:42

At 1/29/10 04:26 PM, letiger wrote: And yet this was why I said, a little while ago, that I would not post here much. Why? Because of something like this. Sometime like this. I knew it was going to inevitably happen which is why I tried not to. But then again, I could not stay away from this place. So now I am going to limit my posts here to once a day, well I will try.

No worries man. I always feel like that. Especially, when some one from WAY back comes back up and they all reminisce about the old days. I feel quite aloof at those times.
Although I've been here a good 1/2 year, some of these guys are so senior to this thread they have conversations I could not relate to without a link to the page for reference. Even though I signed up only 4 months after this thread was created, within those months gone by there was many stories to be told. And some times there are conversations of things before this thread even existed. But those are very rare indeed now a days.
So yeah, I feel you. But don't limit your posting in here on account of a simple mistake. Ignorance is nothing to be ashamed of. No one can help not knowing without immense effort to go through all the history of this place. Just attempt to add intelligently to the conversation in a way you know how. I suppose that's some advice I could give my self right about now.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-30 01:36:32

In case your wondering, mods like to lurk around thread and read posts to make sure nothing bad is happening. Even if they don't say anything, they might still be watching. Coop has been a long time member of the EGB, so I'm sure he checks in here every once in a while.

Don't worry about the whole abusive thread thing. Coop just happened to be the first one to see it because it was the middle of the night. Any of us that have been around long enough would have told you exactly the same thing (as you can read by my post and Sheizenhammer's lengthy explanation.)

If you don't know something or have suggestions don't be afraid to let me or Tails know. There's a pm system for a reason!! We're pretty nice you know, even though I might run things harshly (only because I have to) if you play nice, I'll play nice.

TL;DR PM me or Tails with any concerns/questions regarding whatever.

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-30 01:38:13

right now i am saftey patrol,and i'll do my work to make this site clean!!!!
TO BLAM AND PROTECT!

Emphasis are great!

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-30 01:42:24

At 1/30/10 01:38 AM, assassin1337 wrote: right now i am saftey patrol,and i'll do my work to make this site clean!!!!
TO BLAM AND PROTECT!

That's great bud, try and improve your post quality too, it seems to be pretty spammy and +1 ish.

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-30 09:20:23

At 1/30/10 01:42 AM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 1/30/10 01:38 AM, assassin1337 wrote: right now i am saftey patrol,and i'll do my work to make this site clean!!!!
TO BLAM AND PROTECT!
That's great bud, try and improve your post quality too, it seems to be pretty spammy and +1 ish.

well,usually give things a 3-5 or less depends on the authors (like carljohnson,holaalo) profile or garbage history,and so on.....

Emphasis are great!

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-30 09:22:04

oh i thought you said VOTING quality,sorry,i went wrong there ^_^

Emphasis are great!

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-30 12:26:24

Hey guys. Long time no see?

I'm popping in here for one last time to see if I could extend my inactivity for a little longer. If that's not possible, I'd like to suspend myself from the NGPD.

It's almost impossible to keep up with the amount of work I have and still be active here. Every night I go to sleep around 1 in the morning knowing I have to get up at six. Heh, one of the nights I stayed up until 4 in the morning, grabbed 2 hours of sleep, and got a high honors on the essay I was cramming that night.

Anyway, It seems that the work is cooling down, but I still won't be able to be very active here. Lurking here would be even hard. Again, I would like to extend my inactivity (and if not, a suspension).

I'm a mod!/ Sign up for the NGPD, To Blam and Protect. Post in the thread if you want to join, all new recruits are welcome! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-30 12:36:58

At 1/30/10 09:22 AM, assassin1337 wrote: oh i thought you said VOTING quality,sorry,i went wrong there ^_^

This user has quality enough. Try to get half as good as that, well not half, but atleast a fourth of it and you may just have the post quality enough to be admittied mmkay'? ^-^

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-30 13:04:50

At 1/30/10 09:20 AM, assassin1337 wrote: well,usually give things a 3-5 or less depends on the authors (like carljohnson,holaalo) profile or garbage history,and so on.....

I'm sorry, but that is NOT okay with our ethics. When you're voting, nothing should be assumed of the flash based on who the author is. It's okay to take note of prestigious animators, but you should only come to a decision after watching the movie.
From what I'm interpreting from your post, you sometimes don't watch the movie and just vote because of the author's background. Around here, we always prefer honest voters over active voters. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

At 1/30/10 12:26 PM, Toiletpaper wrote: Hey guys. Long time no see?

Hey you're still alive! Indeed it's been ages, my friend :)

Anyway, It seems that the work is cooling down, but I still won't be able to be very active here. Lurking here would be even hard. Again, I would like to extend my inactivity (and if not, a suspension).

Man sounds like school's really butthurt for you nowadays. Is it mostly exams or just school work in general? Anyways, thanks for telling us again in advance, we hope you do well in your studies TP!

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-30 13:25:55

At 1/30/10 01:04 PM, TailsPrower wrote: Hey you're still alive! Indeed it's been ages, my friend :)

:)

Man sounds like school's really butthurt for you nowadays. Is it mostly exams or just school work in general?

Heh, both. Teachers have conflicting assignments, such as having papers due the same time of a midterm from another class, and then a chapter accumulative test the next day from even a different class. Then comes in the clubs...wooh boy.

Anyways, thanks for telling us again in advance, we hope you do well in your studies TP!

Thanks! :)
It's good to see that this place is really active. Hopefully the old rate will be back up soon. I remember when we got 3 pages down in one day. *nostalgia*

Also: to the new recruits, WELCOMEZ!!!!11!!one!!!1 if I didn't say before. :D

I'm a mod!/ Sign up for the NGPD, To Blam and Protect. Post in the thread if you want to join, all new recruits are welcome! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-30 15:45:27

Three pages in one day!? That is madness. For me, anyways in my entire NGPD history we got about 3 a week. Hell the last roster was 2 pages ago and the next one is tommorow. I wonder what the most active it was then.

Oh and I'm glad I don't have much schoolwork. Yet.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-30 15:54:40

At 1/30/10 03:45 PM, letiger wrote: Three pages in one day!? That is madness.

A while ago three pages in a single day was normal, and we'd often just about exceed it. Our general activity does seem to be going upwards again, which is good.

And speaking of the roster, I think I've got a decent count of about 80 or so. Due to the fact that I want to reach 1499 with a round B/P (1000 Blams, 1499 Saves), I haven't been saving since Wednesday - and seeing as nothing's being blammed at the moment it doesn't seem like the next 75 or so blams will be easy.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-30 16:30:56

Ah yes. Looking at that roster I have well...it's a suprise. Don't use a calculator or math to find out if you really want it to be a suprise. 80 is poor compared to what I've gotton this last week.

And if you find out sssssh.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-31 07:22:13

@tailsprower

your right,i should actually watch most of the flashes i vote on.

Emphasis are great!

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2010-01-31 07:27:15

At 1/31/10 07:22 AM, assassin1337 wrote: @tailsprower

your right,i should actually watch most of the flashes i vote on.

and to be honest,i DO usually check these flashes out before giving them judgment,but i get very lazy and just give it a 3 (unless there dress up games,letting em go because my aura redirect on who i am (light))

Emphasis are great!