Be a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

  • 776,006 Views
  • 17,652 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
LurkinMcClerkin
LurkinMcClerkin
  • Member since: Jul. 26, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-23 19:19:49 Reply

At 2/23/15 06:15 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: I've always wondered this but is there a reason NG insists on storing deleted artwork instead of actually just deleting it? I have about 11 pages of deleted artwork and wonder what purpose it serves.

You can't run away from your past Dahlia.

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-23 19:31:55 Reply

dun dun dunnnnnn. But seriously is it just an error that nobody bothered to fix? Cuz pages 2-11 don't actually exist (just takes me back to the Portal). And I'm starting to wonder why we even have this feature if it's both broken and unnecessary.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-23 19:39:03 Reply

At 2/23/15 07:31 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: dun dun dunnnnnn. But seriously is it just an error that nobody bothered to fix? Cuz pages 2-11 don't actually exist (just takes me back to the Portal). And I'm starting to wonder why we even have this feature if it's both broken and unnecessary.

Best bet is maybe PM one of the staff members and see what's what

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-23 19:39:09 Reply

At 2/23/15 07:31 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: dun dun dunnnnnn. But seriously is it just an error that nobody bothered to fix? Cuz pages 2-11 don't actually exist (just takes me back to the Portal). And I'm starting to wonder why we even have this feature if it's both broken and unnecessary.

I think, and I very well could be wrong here, but I think its so that some hypothetical person doesn't submit art then delete it then reup it to get a better score or something.


Art Thread. Art Page. Facebook. Tumblr. I am currently using a tablet so spelling and grammar errors will happen.

BBS Signature
radiodark
radiodark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-24 03:05:33 Reply

At 2/23/15 07:31 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: dun dun dunnnnnn. But seriously is it just an error that nobody bothered to fix? Cuz pages 2-11 don't actually exist (just takes me back to the Portal). And I'm starting to wonder why we even have this feature if it's both broken and unnecessary.

Where are you seeing the rest of the pages? I went to your art page and just saw the one.


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat
formerly lovingthedark

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-24 04:49:22 Reply

At 2/23/15 07:39 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: I think, and I very well could be wrong here, but I think its so that some hypothetical person doesn't submit art then delete it then reup it to get a better score or something.

Nah, people are still able to do this. It's lametastic.

Even if this is what it's meant for, people can resize the image and is no longer recognised by the portal system. It's unavoidable, but if someone is obviously abusing it then they would get pruned (but that's never happened to my knowledge).


BBS Signature
M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-24 15:54:31 Reply

So like has the site slowed down? because before, a couple years ago this site was pretty active, all my old shit art used to get like a couple thousand views but recently I can barely manage to get 500 are we in a slump right now? it can't be my art or the thumbnails because I've done worse and gotten better numbers for it.

radiodark
radiodark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-25 11:29:20 Reply

At 2/24/15 03:54 PM, M-Maher wrote: So like has the site slowed down? because before, a couple years ago this site was pretty active, all my old shit art used to get like a couple thousand views but recently I can barely manage to get 500 are we in a slump right now? it can't be my art or the thumbnails because I've done worse and gotten better numbers for it.

In a word, yeah. Youtube is responsible for a lot of it. Tom talked a lot about it in the Magfest panel he linked to in his most recent newspost.


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat
formerly lovingthedark

ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-25 12:08:26 Reply

At 2/25/15 11:29 AM, lovingthedark wrote:
At 2/24/15 03:54 PM, M-Maher wrote: So like has the site slowed down? because before, a couple years ago this site was pretty active, all my old shit art used to get like a couple thousand views but recently I can barely manage to get 500 are we in a slump right now? it can't be my art or the thumbnails because I've done worse and gotten better numbers for it.
In a word, yeah. Youtube is responsible for a lot of it. Tom talked a lot about it in the Magfest panel he linked to in his most recent newspost.

Would be nice if the art forum have more flash art collabs. I had an idea where you combine side scrolling shooter like gladius with pencil, ms paint, and digital art over paper as cuts out. And if it ever got lot of submissions all of it can be use as the ships, enemies, bosses, background, and even obstacles. Plus with cool features like the crerdits will have highlight names of artist's art you use as ships, cleared as a level, and even destroyed.

Though I wonder how tough it is to program all that ;rq


BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-25 17:40:11 Reply

At 2/25/15 12:08 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Though I wonder how tough it is to program all that ;rq

We had actually tried making an art forum shoot em up years and years ago.....

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-25 17:48:46 Reply

At 2/25/15 05:40 PM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 2/25/15 12:08 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Though I wonder how tough it is to program all that ;rq
We had actually tried making an art forum shoot em up years and years ago.....

I recently thought about rebooting that.
Then I realised it would be a complete mess and a project better suited to a few people.


BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-25 18:05:39 Reply

At 2/25/15 05:48 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I recently thought about rebooting that.
Then I realised it would be a complete mess and a project better suited to a few people.

Yeah, too many cooks in the kitchen sort of deal....

And considering how hard it's been to run collabs, I don't think a game of that magnitude would work, not in this age
Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-25 18:50:09 Reply

At 2/25/15 06:05 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: Yeah, too many cooks in the kitchen sort of deal....

Too many cooks, you say?

radiodark
radiodark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-26 14:06:36 Reply

Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo's reviewing has been of late? Because it's pretty awesome.


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat
formerly lovingthedark

test-object
test-object
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-26 14:18:58 (edited 2015-02-26 14:19:15) Reply

At 2/26/15 02:06 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo is? Because he's pretty awesome.

Fixed your sentence.


A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-26 15:14:18 Reply

At 2/26/15 02:06 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo's reviewing has been of late? Because it's pretty awesome.

lol this dismissive response to his review
Jeez, some artists ...


BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-26 16:16:04 Reply

At 2/26/15 02:06 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo's reviewing has been of late? Because it's pretty awesome.

Makin the rest of us look bad.

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-26 19:07:01 Reply

At 2/26/15 02:06 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo's reviewing has been of late? Because it's pretty awesome.

Daaaw you're makin me blush.

At 2/26/15 02:18 PM, test-object wrote:
At 2/26/15 02:06 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo is? Because he's pretty awesome.
Fixed your sentence

We can always do that, but I don't know if there's enough time to cover everything

At 2/26/15 03:14 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 2/26/15 02:06 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo's reviewing has been of late? Because it's pretty awesome.
lol this dismissive response to his review
Jeez, some artists ...

I expected it to happen sooner rather than later, I'm a little surprised that it hasn't happened more, but it is a bit annoying that if its "just part of his process" that his process includes posting what looks like a work in progress with a nasty ass watermark to the art portal.

At 2/26/15 04:16 PM, Daverom wrote:
At 2/26/15 02:06 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo's reviewing has been of late? Because it's pretty awesome.
Makin the rest of us look bad.

Well if I'm not gonna do it then who is?
Just kidding, I have had fairly large amount of free time on my hands lately, so I figured why not review more art, that's an area this site really is lacking in after all.
What I'm really hoping for is not only that the artists take my advice to heart and improve, but also that more users who are capable of giving great feedback also hop in and share their input more.


Art Thread. Art Page. Facebook. Tumblr. I am currently using a tablet so spelling and grammar errors will happen.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-26 19:40:43 Reply

At 2/26/15 07:07 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: What I'm really hoping for is not only that the artists take my advice to heart and improve, but also that more users who are capable of giving great feedback also hop in and share their input more.

You make me proud Jacko

ornery
ornery
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-27 11:36:09 Reply

At 2/26/15 03:14 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 2/26/15 02:06 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo's reviewing has been of late? Because it's pretty awesome.
lol this dismissive response to his review
Jeez, some artists ...

Actually I don't blame the artist on this one. His only fault was posting a work in progress publicly and offering no ideas as to what he was going for. Jacks points were all great and valid, if this was a final piece. I would generally recommend against both actions going on here. Don't post sketches to public portal, and don't review sketches as final pieces.

Instead if one is going to post a sketch they should do so with a question or statement about what the final piece is intended to look like. And if you are going to review a sketch I would highly highly recommend brushing up on the artists previous work so you can see where their process leads as well as what mistakes they commonly make and if they have already started making that mistake.

Lets assume that the artist has no other work to go off of, and you still want to offer the sketch a review. I would focus more on what your reactions are initially and where you think it might be going based on what you see. Telling someone what needs fixing in a sketch is a waste of time typically because they are hopefully well aware of where the weak points lie in an unfinished work and what will get fixed in the final piece. However telling someone a prediction can either reaffirm the artists intentions and give them a nice little boost since they know they are on the right track, or give them a new idea for a direction they still have room to take but didn't think of. It can even wake them up to some changes they may need to make to get to their goal if its not yet apparent but they felt like it should have been at that point.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-27 11:59:53 Reply

At 2/27/15 11:36 AM, ornery wrote: Actually I don't blame the artist on this one. His only fault was posting a work in progress publicly and offering no ideas as to what he was going for. Jacks points were all great and valid, if this was a final piece. I would generally recommend against both actions going on here. Don't post sketches to public portal, and don't review sketches as final pieces.

I don't know whether people are posting finished works or not sometimes. I think there's a guy who submits mostly pencil furry pics, and that bothers me. In this pic there is no indication that it is a WIP unless you check out the rest of their submissions. Up until Jack reviewed it I could assume that was finished. Even now I find the anatomy around the waist and hip odd, and would expect that to be retained in a finalised pic.

Telling someone what needs fixing in a sketch is a waste of time typically because they are hopefully well aware of where the weak points lie in an unfinished work and what will get fixed in the final piece.

I'm the opposite, mostly because the first few stages in a painting are critical, and I'd rather give feedback on something that is being developed so that it can be remedied. I always hate reviewing finalised pics unless there was something that people could take away for future paintings, otherwise I'm just pointing out flaws in something that the artist has put to rest.

Whenever I've looked for feedback, I generally make sure that the errors that I know are there are fixed. I'd rather learn about problems that I don't know about and that I've overlooked, rather than encouraging people to point out the obvious flaws.

The rest of the stuff you said about making a prediction on the outcome I can follow.


BBS Signature
JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-27 15:21:55 (edited 2015-02-27 15:22:16) Reply

I assume/treat everything that is in the art portal is/as a finished piece, even if it clearly isn't, because that's what belongs there. Also I wasn't clear on whether or not that orange lady was a finished one, at the time I took it as finished and in the event that I hadn't I probably still would have reviewed it as if it were finished, because of it being in the portal. When I was reviewing that one and the other ones I reviewed that night I was going through the portal in a pretty linear fashion reviewing whatever stood out as really good and really not so good, maybe as I keep doing this I'll come up with a more methodical way of reviewing art, or be more selective (or people will click my dig and request reviews more) but for now it's just whatever happens to be in front of my screen while I'm in review mode.
Also I do somewhat agree with Ornery on the point of reviewing sketches and works in progress, I think unless somebody is asking for some help in improving their composition or method, or for tips on how to be more efficient in their practice, then its better to let them be and figure I out on their own, for the most part. Its part of the reason I decided to put more energy into the portal as opposed to the forum, I don't really feel comfortable commenting on most sketches, so the portal clearly being a place for final pieces allows me to treat the pictures there and review them as such.

This post probably has a lot of grammatical errors, I just woke up and am using a phone. Sorry in advance.


Art Thread. Art Page. Facebook. Tumblr. I am currently using a tablet so spelling and grammar errors will happen.

BBS Signature
M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-01 08:19:35 Reply

You chaps know of any good architecture reference books on amazon? I'm looking for some art nouveau / neo gothic stuff.

Zolen
Zolen
  • Member since: May. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-01 11:17:23 Reply

At 3/1/15 08:19 AM, M-Maher wrote: You chaps know of any good architecture reference books on amazon? I'm looking for some art nouveau / neo gothic stuff.

Do you mean a book that goes into the logic and details of architecture, or just a book with a lot of pictures to get ideas from?

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-01 11:43:57 Reply

At 3/1/15 08:19 AM, M-Maher wrote: You chaps know of any good architecture reference books on amazon? I'm looking for some art nouveau / neo gothic stuff.

this one is pretty good
My boss had one and recommended it to me.
It has thousands of designs from all over the world. And its not too expensive.


Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 07:55:46 Reply

I'm not going to bitch in the thread, but oh my god, March's Challenge of the Month contest topic. Eugh, I feel filthy looking at it.


BBS Signature
123mine123
123mine123
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 08:14:00 Reply

At 3/3/15 07:55 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I'm not going to bitch in the thread, but oh my god, March's Challenge of the Month contest topic. Eugh, I feel filthy looking at it.

I don't get it.
Can you explain it to me?

Sorry, I don't use and know anything about netflix. :C


:3

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 08:34:11 Reply

At 3/3/15 08:14 AM, 123mine123 wrote: I don't get it.
Can you explain it to me?

Sorry, I don't use and know anything about netflix. :C

Netflix is a service where you pay a subscription to watch shows and certain films on demand by streaming it on the internet.

This is a corporate marketing campaign dressed up as a contest, to drum up attention for Netflix-only shows to the artists participating, people watching the art portal, viewers of Jazza's vids, and ultimately other NG users when these pics gets frontpaged on NG at the end of the month.

The topic is something where you have to toss your artistic dignity out of the window in order to win an XBox and Netflix subscription - things that don't encourage the improvement of artists.


BBS Signature
JojoDodo
JojoDodo
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 08:40:29 Reply

At 3/3/15 08:34 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
This is a corporate marketing campaign dressed up as a contest

Yeahh....i was kind of surprised that the monthly contest took that direction. Is it the first time yet?


It's dangerous to go alone! Take this: NG art chat//Art tutorials

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-03-03 08:51:01 Reply

At 3/3/15 08:34 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: The topic is something where you have to toss your artistic dignity out of the window in order to win an XBox and Netflix subscription - things that don't encourage the improvement of artists.

Selling out you say... WELL CALL ME THE CORPORATE BIKE BECAUSE I'LL GIVE ANYONE A RIDE.