00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

958,077 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-15 21:18:13

"I can see why Ashman scouted you, your artwork is very clean." ...wtf Ash... I'm disappoint >:|

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-15 21:28:09

I gotta go with Occ here... There is just a "feeling" about some pieces. The Psycho guy aside, some times it's easy to tell. Maybe it's because of the way the person acts through text, or their previous work, or something else entirely different. It's like back in grade school, when your teachers always seemed to know when we cheated, or our parents always know when were lying.
I'm not saying that gut feelings are 100% but in my experience, there right about 85% of the time. Even if one doesn't know exactly what is wrong, usually one can sense that something is off

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-15 21:47:19

At 11/15/10 09:28 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Maybe it's because of the way the person acts through text,

Personally, it bothers the hell out of me when someone doesn't seem to really own their art. It doesn't mean at all that it's stolen- I have no sense whatsoever about that- but it feels really odd to me when people seem detached from their art in a manner that doesn't indicate it's important to them or that they worked hard on it.
This has caused suspicion within me, but I'd never accuse anybody of it. I'd probably just be wrong, anyways.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-15 21:59:59

I don't think it's a 'gut feeling' either. Although before you learn to articulate what bothers you I do believe that 'gut' reaction is the first stage of inductive understanding.

It's the same way I caught this. I had never seen the image on the right before in my life. But I knew that the image on the right was traced because the guy used lines without understanding why. You can see informed action. Look at the lines in the hand of the trace on the left. Do you see what I mean. Even though the lines on the traced pic are directly taken from the original art. They are noticeably different.

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-15 22:07:52

Oh man, I just go to sleep for 8 hours and everything happens so fast.

New forum, new page and new popular collab.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-15 22:11:49

Sorry for the double post, but I needed two pics. Ok. Now look at Psychos pic. See the elbow? Even though the lines are right... they look a little clumsy. I know that sounds subjective, but it really isn't. I'm reinforced by how the shadows and highlights. The outline contains information about the anatomy that isn't reinforced by the shading. If you follow the arm down to where it connects to the shoulder do you see how the shadow suddenly dips before it meets the torso? As if it were thicker there. That might make sense in a photo but without more information it doesn't fit here. Also if you know anatomy well, you wouldn't bring the back in to make the waist thinner, but leave the abs in the right place. You would if you traced, and were modifying with an uninformed eye.

Green lines are my guess as to the original form before he exaggerated.

I actually bring it up here because I suddenly realized it's a valid discussion to have.

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-15 22:18:47

At 11/15/10 10:11 PM, Occluded wrote: Explanation on why that Psychoguy sucks.

I agree with you, people need to learn to draw properly. Tracing is very bad, because it drains your own creativity and you'll receive a bunch of hate once you get caught.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-15 22:22:02

At 11/15/10 10:11 PM, Occluded wrote:

Green lines are my guess as to the original form before he exaggerated.

I actually bring it up here because I suddenly realized it's a valid discussion to have.

It is, and I find it awe inspiring how you can figure this shit out. It also brings up another point: traces don't have to be immediately similar to what they once were. Hell, this could have been a picture of a real woman that he traced the figure of, enhanced the boobs, tried to correct, and made into a sonicesque character.

The image does look extremely odd now that you've made points, and how realistic the body shape is (sans the torso shape and unnecessarily large breasts) just doesn't seem to fit the character depicted. It really looks like a trace, all things considered. Then there's the fact that he's a total asshole about it; he's defensive, and fits the point I made earlier about owning artwork.
I side with Occluded here.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-15 22:22:54

At 11/15/10 10:11 PM, Occluded wrote: I actually bring it up here because I suddenly realized it's a valid discussion to have.

I agree, that this is a very valid discussion.
Looking at the connection to the torso, your right, the lack of ribcage does demand attention, I guess I assumed that it was hidden behind the large breast, but with the portions of the rest of the body, the ribcage would be enlarged as well.

You mention informed action, which now brought to my attention, makes a lot of sense.

Interesting discussion indeed....

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-15 22:29:59

Yeah, I've given up arguing with fuckwits.
I'll leave a critique on something, and if they come back being an ignorant jackass I'll just walk off the thread and let it simmer in it's own steaming shit.
As for stolen/traced art, whenever I see someone new come into the forum with some awesome art, I always do a bit of checking to make sure it's legit. I know that makes me an asshole, but I've seen way too many a stolen piece flaunted as original in the forum/portal.

Jonny's Guide to Gut Feelings
1) Check the user's past post history and art portal submissions
2) Hit up the image with TinEye
3) Search an adequate title on Deviant Art
4) Search an adequate title on google
Each of these steps are to be done in succession if one fails to give results.
That being said, a lot of the time art thieves don't even change the title of the stolen piece, which makes it incredibly easy to find the original when searching places like DA.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-15 22:40:30

At 11/15/10 10:29 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
That being said, a lot of the time art thieves don't even change the title of the stolen piece, which makes it incredibly easy to find the original when searching places like DA.

a small trick I have come across lately that seems to work from time to time is to get the exact height and width and put those in to Google's exact size filter with a search on the subject matter/. Surprisingly it has been susceptible from time to time when the piece has some funky sizes

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 06:29:59

PFAH, I snort (at) all those line collabs!

I`m pretty sure a good joke can be made with snorting and lines.... Im also pretty sure this was not it

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 07:25:29

Well, I never have traced a line in my life, so I suppose I don't know anything about it. Funny how it happens. Really is a case of "it takes one to know one". I suddenly have just lost that bit much more of respect...

seriously, are there no end of problems to this guy?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 08:18:02

At 11/15/10 09:18 PM, CloudEater wrote: "I can see why Ashman scouted you, your artwork is very clean." ...wtf Ash... I'm disappoint >:|

what, who did i scout now, what did i do wrong?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 12:25:03

At 11/15/10 10:29 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Jonny's Guide to Gut Feelings

Wow you guys do all that? We mods just throw darts at the wall at it either lands on delete or don't delete.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 13:36:05

At 11/15/10 10:29 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
Jonny's Guide to Gut Feelings
Each of these steps are to be done in succession if one fails to give results.

If you guys need more tools for finding art thieves ('cause it makes my job easier when you guys do it), some time ago I came across another reverse image search, kind of like TinEye, but it searches through anime picture databases: http://iqdb.org/ sometimes it finds stuff TinEye doesn't.

However, it would be most appreciated if, when you guys find something or suspect someone of posting stolen/traced work in the forum you contact ReNaeNae, TurkeyOnAStick or me instead of posting about it in the thread, because, y'all can make a big mess out of nothing and it can scare away potential members.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 13:43:49

At 11/16/10 01:36 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: However, it would be most appreciated if, when you guys find something or suspect someone of posting stolen/traced work in the forum you contact ReNaeNae, TurkeyOnAStick or me instead of posting about it in the thread, because, y'all can make a big mess out of nothing and it can scare away potential members.

Amen to that!! Also, if it's posted in the portal, you can contact any Art Mod!

Looks like there will be a Holiday Card Exchange after all! Yay! :D

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 14:06:21

At 11/16/10 01:43 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Looks like there will be a Holiday Card Exchange after all! Yay! :D

as much as i would love to renaenae... some of us already have piles of collab work to be getting on with :P... *let alone tankwomen to paint*...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 14:08:00

M-m-m-m-mod combo!

At 11/16/10 01:36 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: http://iqdb.org/ sometimes it finds stuff TinEye doesn't.

Pro-tip: don't use this image search at work. The NSFW pics it pulls up are just bizarre.

However, it would be most appreciated if, when you guys find something or suspect someone of posting stolen/traced work in the forum you contact ReNaeNae, TurkeyOnAStick or me instead of posting about it in the thread, because, y'all can make a big mess out of nothing and it can scare away potential members.

Yeah, I agree. I was gonna say something about this thread, but you pretty much closed the case, and Knocturne covered the case in concrete.

I'm being presumptious, but I guess you guys have a copy of GIMP, or just use TinEye. It only takes about 2-3 mins to check if somebody's traced an image by overlaying the copy over the original.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 14:09:11

At 11/16/10 02:06 PM, LegolaSS wrote: bla bla bla imma moron bla bla bla
At 11/16/10 02:08 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: M-m-m-m-mod combo!

Oh screw you Legoland >:(

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 14:15:58

At 11/16/10 01:43 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Looks like there will be a Holiday Card Exchange after all! Yay! :D

general forum....*dun dun duuuun* as much as i love em, im not gunna even think about it

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 14:41:31

hey guys... one question, can you save threads here?

because that would be a great thing to have haha!

Please visit my: |TWITTER| |TUMBLR| |INSTAGRAM|

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 14:45:51

At 11/16/10 02:41 PM, Kosuk wrote: hey guys... one question, can you save threads here?

what do you mean save?... you can alway have a hyperlink saved somewhere you know... they never get deleted unless A) stupid thread in the first place or B) thread host asks for it to be deleted...

Oh screw you Legoland >:(

You know... if i was a mod... you would have a combo of FIVE different mods... :P

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 14:48:03

At 11/16/10 02:45 PM, LegolaSS wrote:
You know... if i was a mod... you would have a combo of FIVE different mods... :P

Maybe you could be an icon mod. You know; extra work and none of the priveledge or recognition!

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 14:49:12

At 11/16/10 02:48 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Maybe you could be an icon mod. You know; extra work and none of the priveledge or recognition!

Im already a flash mod.. and you already have a small army of icon mods... :P

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 14:52:06

At 11/16/10 02:48 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
At 11/16/10 02:45 PM, LegolaSS wrote:
Maybe you could be an icon mod. You know; extra work and none of the priveledge or recognition or piss aura or powers!

oh poo everyone knows i havent done any extra work :P

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 15:19:01

oh yeh i just could bookmark it...! hahaha!!

well then thank you Lego!
can i call you lego?

OH yeah! hey I have added a pic in my thread and in the critique thread, if you poeple could go there and give some advice, it would be great!
I hope im not breaking any rules asking that?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 15:20:59

At 11/16/10 03:19 PM, Kosuk wrote: well then thank you Lego!
can i call you lego?

Np... and i dont mind... you just saw what toasty called me :P

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 15:37:34

At 11/16/10 03:20 PM, LegolaSS wrote:
At 11/16/10 03:19 PM, Kosuk wrote: well then thank you Lego!
can i call you lego?
Np... and i dont mind... you just saw what toasty called me :P

haha toasty? well then, for now on, you will be called lego from me!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-16 15:55:53

I want to know what everyone really prefers. I've never done a successful CG color rendering in my drawings and probably never will unless I get a tablet to draw with. Scanning my stuff then trying to render the color never seems to work well for some reason. So I end up coloring with colored pencils. Does it take away from the look to use colored pencils or does it give it something some CG rendered art doesn't have? (Yes I made a thread for this but was directed here)