00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ayya1 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

962,181 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-29 11:41:39

At 12/29/10 05:21 AM, CloudEater wrote:
At 12/29/10 05:15 AM, Ashman wrote:
At 12/29/10 04:59 AM, thies wrote: This is bullshit. Just because I'm 15 years old I can't have an opinion about art?
weve all learned one way or another, ignore liquify, for the better good
I am so going to have a word with that dick, if I were you guys I would make a stand against him by no longer being his portal buddy... >:(

Wait, whats going on?... Hold on

*Click* *click* *clicky-click*

Well.... that was kind of a dick move liquiify....
not exactly helping the status with the locals

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-29 12:34:19

At 12/29/10 04:59 AM, thies wrote: This is bullshit. Just because I'm 15 years old I can't have an opinion about art?

Another great moment in art forum history, brought to you by liquify.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-29 13:10:05

I think it's kinda funny. Next time I get a review from Liquify I'll just tell him 18 year olds aren't really entitled to judge art yet.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-29 13:29:57

I've never heard of liquify, but judging from that post, I'd say he's pretty stuck up.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-29 17:13:47

At 12/29/10 01:29 PM, zachdamacman wrote: I've never heard of liquify, but judging from that post, I'd say he's pretty stuck up.

You're 29. You're not allowed to post yet.

No!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-29 17:18:37

My band's gonna stream our practice via StickAmif anyone wants to see.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-29 17:43:04

Ever late to the party I just found out about a type of visual art called 'glitch art' or 'data bending.'

In case you are unaware of this type of art read about it here.

I haven't seen any really impressive examples, to me it just seems like using a filter to modify an image, one that can be fairly dramatic, but a filter nonetheless. It might be cool to try with a piece of original art, but using a stock photo is totally n00b, imo.

Thoughts on data bending art?

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-29 19:22:48

At 12/29/10 05:43 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:

Thoughts on data bending art?

It looks as if someone with a really old TV is trying to get reception though bunny ears. Personally, I like the look but i do agree that it would be much cooler with original art. if I had photoshop I would use it.

Oh and that picture technique on making miniatures out of real pictures that Jonny was talking about, I actually saw it in a TV show that I have been watching called Misfits, every time they show and overview of where they are it uses that little technique, just thought that that was a little interesting/nugget of knowledge/fun fact.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-29 19:30:41

I didn't know he hated 15 year olds. I'm so not gonna join his' collabs anymore. That bastard.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-29 23:32:57

Have I ever told you guys that I like whiskey?!
I'm drinking some now...
...chug chug chug ahhh!
That's the stuff!

I don't think I'm doing this right!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-29 23:44:54

At 12/29/10 11:32 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Have I ever told you guys that I like whiskey?!
I'm drinking some now...
...chug chug chug ahhh!
That's the stuff!
I don't think I'm doing this right!

kinseis too poor to drink, your doing it wrong

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-29 23:46:42

Needs more drunken misspellings and being a helpful dick to the new guys

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-29 23:49:37

damn!! being kinsei is hhaaard! :(

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 00:08:30

I'm pretty sure age is irrelevant to posting art. May I quote "everything by EVERYONE"

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 00:15:59

Seeing as liquify was planning to let anyone into his collab, i can say he can't really judge whats good and what isn't either.
Unwarranted self importance ftw

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 00:32:45

At 12/29/10 11:49 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: damn!! being kinsei is hhaaard! :(

I'm glad I set a standard :3

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 00:34:14

age is not relevant to judging art since im 18 and still suck at it

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 00:34:41

At 12/29/10 05:43 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Thoughts on data bending art?

I did that 'wordpad' thing, and inserted a few random spaces throughout the body of text. All I got was some color-bending.
Used a common image that we all know and love, just cause using one with a larger filesize caused wordpad to crash.

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 00:47:17

Age doesn't matter but some people can't see it because they let their ego get in the way.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 02:44:26

Oh god, more Kinsei/Nae confusion.
This is madness!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 02:47:23

At 12/30/10 02:44 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: This is madness!

Madness?! This Is The ART FORUM!!!!!!

*kick* :3

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 02:53:35

At 12/30/10 02:47 AM, Kinsei01 wrote:

You missed. I think it's the alcohol slowing your reflexes.....
Either that, or my blinding speed.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 02:54:37

At 12/30/10 02:53 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 12/30/10 02:47 AM, Kinsei01 wrote:
You missed. I think it's the alcohol slowing your reflexes.....
Either that, or my blinding speed.

probably a mix of both o.0'.....

>.>.... yeah....

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 05:13:08

At 12/30/10 12:34 AM, Wivernryder wrote:
I did that 'wordpad' thing, and inserted a few random spaces throughout the body of text. All I got was some color-bending.
Used a common image that we all know and love, just cause using one with a larger filesize caused wordpad to crash.

I also tried it with a Homer Simpson pic, it turned out pretty nice :P

Art Forum Lounge

My Deviantart | NG Art | Youtube Channel | Art Portfolio

Shameless self-promotion ftw!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 07:58:52

At 12/30/10 05:13 AM, thies wrote:

It's kind of interesting the way the results are often so different from each other.

I did one of my own images and put it side by side with the original for comparison.

Art Forum Lounge

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 08:07:12

At 12/30/10 05:13 AM, thies wrote:
At 12/30/10 12:34 AM, Wivernryder wrote:

Ok you guys i just took like a 2 hour binge on this shtuff and ended up somewhere totally crazy and mildly unrelated to this!!!

What happened was I was thinking about how they can turn images into these distorted images.
Then I was remembering how I read somewhere that some guy converted images into sound files and whatnot (they have those jigsaw puzzles that are aural representations of classical music).

So I looked it up and found a program that reads your picture and converts the pixels into sound... Here is the link to the program called AudioPaint in which you may do this. I have downloaded it and it works perfectly, no install required. For some reason though, I've had to open the program from inside the zip... Still works great though.

Next, I downloaded
this program, another safe, free, and install free program called Sonic Visualizer. What you can do in this is import a sound wave (in this case, exported from AudioPaint) into Sonic Visualizer, and it will give you a simple waveform. This is where it gets interesting.. You can recognize your original picture within the audio graphs

To help illustrate my point, I've done the whole process with the picture of our beloved Rig.

Here are the simplified steps after obtaining the 2 programs:
1. Find suitable picture (High contrast in black and white works better generally)
2. Open AudioPaint
3. File > Import Picture
4. Audio>Generate
(In this step, you may go to Audio>Preferences to tamper with your future result. The "Duration" value underneath the "Misc" section will determine how long your resulting sound clip is)
5. Listen to your bizarre spacey creation :3
6. File > Export Sound
----------
7. Open Sonic Visualizer
8. File > Import Audio File
9. Pane > Any of them you like!
(Ive found that the one labeled "Melodic Range Spectrogram" will give the most accurate results of the previous picture, but they all make really neat designs.)
10. Enjoy :D

--
Note
You can also change the color scheme of these graphs within Sonic Visualizer on the tabs to the right of the different panes
--

All the different panes are quite entertaining and provide fun results, but over the course of the past 2 hours, I've found this to be really fascinating and could make for some interesting additions to your art pieces. You could use these as textures, stand alone pieces, inspiration for separate art, whatever you want!

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 10:33:46

ZX made a thread about databending ...I'm sure he'd like to see/hear about some of the stuff you guys are coming up with.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 12:30:57

At 12/30/10 10:33 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: ZX made a thread about databending ...I'm sure he'd like to see/hear about some of the stuff you guys are coming up with.

nah, he doesnt like opinions, hes best left alone

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 12:46:38

Hey, haven't been here in a while and I don't plan to be back here until I feel I've improved at art but I need some help... I've been trying to make some shirts to sell locally but I've been having trouble finding a good online screen printing shop that's cheap or at least affordable, has anyone found a shop like that?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-12-30 12:57:17

I can't speak for everywhere, but if you're looking for cheap and a reasonable way to make a profit, going online is probably not your best bet.

Around here at least, there are a couple places you can go to, if you supply the shirts and the graphics, they'll print the shirts for pretty reasonable prices. Don't know about where you are though.