At 4/4/11 01:41 PM, PowerPrower wrote:
I'm sorry for all of the drama but I think it would be more fair to properly explain our (the mods') position here.
Basically this thread has some core problems that none of you can really help:
- It is a clone of a similar thread, the EGB.
- Where as the EGB is an exclusive club where only people who fit certain criteria are allowed, this thread purports to have such a system but the requirements are so low it nearly defeats the purpose of exclusivity.
- Even with the minimal requirements, you can't even stay a member of this thread for very long, which leads to high turnover of membership. The folks who get a hang of the site and helping out are here and gone in no time. In just a month or two you are already out in some cases.
- These lower standards, unfortunately, lead to a less experienced, knowledgeable and mature member base. To get to the minimum criteria of the EGB some people may take months. In this thread, you could conceivably get in after only being here a week or two. It has also led to a lower average age of the members which goes towards the whole maturity issue. The quick turnover means that the average age and experience on the site stays pretty low.
- Stat building is generally frowned upon on the BBS because it has lead to abuse in the past (see: blam club and its ilk in this forum). Both the EGB and this thread or its predecessor thread clearly meant to be a hang out for stat building but with the advent of the problem I just mentioned, both have shifted from simply getting more stats to helping the portal flag inappropriate content.
- Now, even where the new mission of the thread is to help clean up the portal, this thread is even more identical to the EGB except the EGB has a minimum whistle level requirement and this thread doesn't. This means that the members here may not even be all that great judges of inappropriate content and when they do find one, they are almost ineffective because of the lower whistle levels.
- Because it is a clone of the EGB thread it results in some people using both threads to pad their post counts. Sticking around for a long time after they left and joined the other club or making it a point to copy/paste the exact same post in each thread when they locate submissions that need to be whistled.
- It can also cause confusion for the regular user who isn't interested in membership of either club but wants to help the site out by getting a few more bodies to help flag a stolen or malicious flash in the portal. These two threads have become the impromptu go-to for getting the word out on content that needs to be flagged... but there's a high chance the submissions will get through unencumbered if they post the link in this thread where the users have lower level whistles. The EGB has a more experienced and higher-leveled group of members. They won't have instances of missing something that needs to be taken care off and they are knowledgeable enough to know when not to flag something.
- Because of the high turnover of membership there is also a high turnover of leadership positions. It creates confusion among the ranks and some who may not be apt for leadership are thrust into it while others who are quite good at leadership are forced out once they rank out and join the EGB. It also means newer people would see it as an opportunity to get into the leadership by insinuating themselves into positions left vacant.
This is a laundry list of problems I see with this thread just by its very premise and I don't see how they can be fixed. you can't really up your criteria for joining because that would make you pretty much an EGB-lite so why just join the EGB? and you can't help that some people will come and go quickly because you can't expect somebody to stick around forever if they are really interested in trying to get higher rankings or helping the site out more by having a higher impact with their vote and whistle.
And the high turnover is really the biggest hitch for me because where I am telling all of the current members this right now....none of you remember when I told it to you a year ago, or two years ago, ect. And in a few months how many will be around to hear it again from me or another moderator? The high turnover means that there's a whole new class of members in a short period of time...they aren't experienced with the site so they may not know the do's and dont's of using a club thread while at the same time there aren't many people around to help guide them.
Now, you all are totally welcome to discuss club related issues like membership and leadership in y our thread - I would never require that a club use their own forums for that kind of thing when they have a thread here on the BBS.
But the arguments that spill over from other places that are seemingly unrelated to the whole usefulness of the thread, immaturity in posts within the thread over really minor things and having to periodically bring in a moderator to help clean the place up just makes the thread not worthwhile to keep around.
How much energy am I spending writing this reply so that it will go unremembered in just a few months when the membership here changes hands once again that I could be spending checking up on General? Same goes for poozy, coop or aviewaskewed?
If we were to weigh the usefulness against the headaches caused by this thread today I don't believe it would weigh in favor of keeping this place around.
To be totally honest with you guys, if the NGPD hadn't existed until today and the EGB had and I saw this thread pop up as a new club I would probably lock it suggest that whoever wants to join should put some more effort into B/Ping, flagging and post quality and instead join the EGB.
All of this isn't to say I have it out for this thread or that I am waiting for a miss-step to pounce on a chance on ending it. No, you were allowed by somebody else and you kept going for a few years so I should give you the benefit of the doubt. And I have been. But, at the same time, I also find that this is one of the club threads where I've had to spend more time and energy on on a consistent basis ever since I was modded.