00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheGizmo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Databending

2,709 Views | 28 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Databending 2010-12-30 02:11:44

So, I uploaded some databent art to the portal today and the staff seem to think I applied some filters to an image or something and didn't deem it art. Today, I will discuss what databending is so that more people understand it.

Databending can be done with a lot of things...in fact it can be done with any file. The most rewarding in my opinion are audio files and image files. In this case, we're talking about image files. Image databending can be done in a lot of ways...all you need is some patience and the ability to think outside the box. I'm sure there are techniques that I'm unaware of...but the two programs I like to use for databending the most are Notepad++ (text databending) and Goldwave (sonification).

Text databending is the act of opening a file that isn't text (in this case, an image) in a text editing program such as Notepad++. Go ahead. Open up Notepad (not Notepad++, this is just to show you what an image looks like as text) and then go to File>Open. Select "All files" and then open up an image.
Now, this image obviously isn't represented in a way you're normally used to seeing. It's all seemingly random letters and characters that don't go together. I'm honestly not entirely sure how it works, but here's my understanding of how it works:
Each pixel's color is assigned to a hexadecimal number with six digits. Each hexadecimal number is composed of three channels ranging from 00 to FF. Red is #FF0000, Green is #00FF00, and Blue is #0000FF. Every single pixel has a six digit hexadecimal code assigned to it.
Now, the thing is, the text editor is trying to view this image as text. So it takes the hexadecimal numbers of the images along with the header of the file (the part that tells the computer what kind of a file it is, and how to carry it out), and turns all of the hexadecimal numbers into the characters you'd normally type that also are assigned those hexadecimal numbers.
For example: If I take a JPEG image of a 1x1 red pixel and open it up in Notepad, I get this. Most of this is the header, but the last characters (? âè¢%u0160ù"÷ÿÙ) are the ones that represent the color red. (#FF0000). If you wanted to do Blue (#00FF00), it would be "? ñÊ(¢¿q<ÃÿÙ".
Now, that's all pretty irrelevant unless you're interested in the intricacies of things like that like I am. What you need to do in order to databend is simply change some of the characters into something else. Obviously you're going to want to change the image by more than one pixel at a time...which is where Notepad++ comes in handy. Notepad++ has functions like "Replace all", where you can turn any entered phrase into another one, no matter how many times it's there. Images are enormous, and so a 600x600 image is some astronomical amount of pixels.
I'm going to take my NG userpage's display picture, here, and use the "Replace All" function to replace all of the "Â"s with "%"s. This yields this messy chunk of green, ugly databending. Replace all isn't good for single characters, more like sets of 3 or pairs of characters next to eachother.

Obviously, it takes a lot of time to get it right, but messing around with it and finding your own techniques is the true beauty of databending. Also trying different filetypes, like .tiff, .raw, .bmp and so on can yield some entirely different results with the same image.

Sonification is the same concept...but instead of text, you're looking at audible sound. My personal favorite sonification type is .tiff, because they create sound that's interesting to hear and interesting to edit. .tiff files are a lot less likely to become corrupt, too.
My sonification program of choice is Goldwave, although I've used Adobe Audition and I've heard old versions of Audacity will suffice.
Sonification is different than Text Editing because you don't have as much control. Instead a lot of it is less predictable and more trial and error than Text Editing. What I like to do is use effects like Flanger and EQ on sections to see what I can come up with. What I try to avoid are static-y looking areas. I'll go further in dept with it later.

This is an example of my sonification work, it was originally a painting of a pelican that a friend of mine made. I used a .tiff image, and I used a ton of different techniques like EQ, Flanger, a bit of Reverb, and then I used custom VSTs that I made for FL Studio like a Ringmod and a LoFi mod. It took a while, but it was fun.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/73cf 26dadf1b70da66b4bd2969c3a87e

And here is an example of text databending work that a friend of mine did. He used a .png image, and spent a long time on it.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/45fb 2c2ab75eb6ffaf74aa47007ce79a
Here's one I did playing around with quality of JPG and things like that. The red channel was the least prominent channel when I started, and so it was that much harder to make it like this.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/22c6 97bdb9b77bd3904a749329eeb0ea

I know a lot of people don't really understand or enjoy databending, but I think it's one of the most interesting artforms out there and I believe it should be much more well known. It should be accepted as a real artform and not just brushed off for "Filter Rape" or something when it clearly isn't.

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 02:18:36

nice copy paste you have there

anyway, the original that you did the databending on either isnt yours, or is a photo of something, and besides, those you link to aint exactly pleasing to the eye and do look filter raped

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 02:39:43

At 12/30/10 02:18 AM, Ashman wrote: nice copy paste you have there

anyway, the original that you did the databending on either isnt yours, or is a photo of something, and besides, those you link to aint exactly pleasing to the eye and do look filter raped

I wrote that whole thing, but thanks.

And thanks for the load of closemindedness, go back to your anime and sonic recolors.

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 02:45:33

At 12/30/10 02:39 AM, ZX wrote: And thanks for the load of closemindedness, go back to your anime and sonic recolors.

Lol, you're so funny. Yeah Ashman! Go away! Mind you, he worked so hard just to explain how to filter rape a photo. Give the man some respect. Don't be a dick!

lol

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 02:46:02

At 12/30/10 02:39 AM, ZX wrote: go back to your anime and sonic recolors.

now who is being closed minded?

Can we carry on the conversation with out getting bitter for once?

I mean really guys..... come on.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 03:00:52

Ash, what crawled up your ass and died?
Seriously though, this is an interesting thing here. I tried it in both Notepad and Audacity, but I don't know how to properly save the file without it converting into a text file or sound file respectively so I can see the result.....

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 03:22:44

At 12/30/10 03:00 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Ash, what crawled up your ass and died?

im just stating opinion, it looks ugly as hell and filter raped to shit

And thanks for the load of closemindedness

if it looked good, id be open minded, but yeah...it may be a cool thing to do, but visually....no, its just pot luck what you end up with, databending is just replacing one colour with another by the looks of it

go back to your anime and sonic recolors.

i just finished my DA commissions thanks

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 03:29:55

Spoken like a dick or not he has a point
this shit's no different that what we usually condemn on sight, it's just a different, even more random way of going about it.
There's no artistic skill or process of going about it, its fucking up a file format and seeing what happens to it.

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 03:34:47

At 12/30/10 03:00 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Ash, what crawled up your ass and died?
Seriously though, this is an interesting thing here. I tried it in both Notepad and Audacity, but I don't know how to properly save the file without it converting into a text file or sound file respectively so I can see the result.....

Try it with Notepad++, you can save the file without changing the filetype. Same with Goldwave and a program called "Wordpad", which is in the Accessories folder on the Start Menu of Windows computers. Wordpad gives you some cool results without actually doing any editing because it wraps lines and changes characters it doesn't recognize.

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 03:37:23

At 12/30/10 03:29 AM, M-Vero wrote: Spoken like a dick or not he has a point
this shit's no different that what we usually condemn on sight, it's just a different, even more random way of going about it.
There's no artistic skill or process of going about it, its fucking up a file format and seeing what happens to it.

Yeah, maybe to you, but I personally think it's an artform. If you have a problem with that, don't post in the thread. I know I'm using the classic "IF U DONT LIKE IT Y ARE U LOOKING AT IT????????" copout argument but honestly, if you're not interested in Databending, there's really no reason for you to be posting here. If you disagree with it as an artform, then don't do it and report stuff you see in the portal that uses databending. This isn't in the art portal, and it's not breaking any rules. I'm allowed to discuss my artform just like anybody else. This is for people who are interested in unconventional art and not just the same old boring stuff.

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 03:46:30

If you don't want varying opinions you really shouldn't post in a public forum
I've seen some pretty cool things come out of stuff like this, but just because it's different I'm not going to blindly support it.
I'm sure there are people that have figured out what characters do what and why and how, and using that to apply general artistic knowledge to make it not a total eyesore.
but taking an image off of google or where ever you get it from and messing around with it a bit and expecting praise for being unique and unconventional is being pretty pretentious

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 03:56:16

At 12/30/10 03:37 AM, ZX wrote: If you disagree with it as an artform, then don't do it and report stuff you see in the portal that uses databending.

ok then, will do

I'm allowed to discuss my artform just like anybody else.

im allowed to discuss my dislike for said artform

looking on google, if you know what your doing you can do some pretty cool things, but unless the base image is drawn or made by you, then its not art by ng art portal standards, its photomanipulation, kinda ok in the forum, but not allowed in the portal

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 10:27:38

Did any of you actually read anything he posted? He talks about doing certain things to the code to come out with certain results; figuring out specific techniques to approach it in a manner that makes things look good. It sounds like it would be difficult to master and has room for creativity so long as you know what you're doing. I don't know what I think of databending, and I'm way too retarded with computers to try it myself, but that doesn't sound like the horrid random mess you all make it out to be. That sounds like it has a technique to it.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 11:04:43

At 12/30/10 10:27 AM, Luxembourg wrote: Did any of you actually read anything he posted? He talks about doing certain things to the code to come out with certain results; figuring out specific techniques to approach it in a manner that makes things look good.

True, but that doesn't make it art. More like math.

My Deviantart | NG Art | Youtube Channel | Art Portfolio

Shameless self-promotion ftw!

BBS Signature

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 11:21:05

At 12/30/10 11:04 AM, thies wrote:
At 12/30/10 10:27 AM, Luxembourg wrote: Did any of you actually read anything he posted? He talks about doing certain things to the code to come out with certain results; figuring out specific techniques to approach it in a manner that makes things look good.
True, but that doesn't make it art. More like math.

You are 15; youre not really entitled to an opinion as to what is or is not art. ;p
In all seriousness though; I think OP should just post some more of his works here. You guys remember TONIKOR? His art is just photomanipulation; copypasting preexisting images together. Guess what ashman; IT`S ALLOWED IN THE PORTAL! :D

I think the same thing goes for Databending as for filtering and photomanip; there is a lot of crap, but it can be done artistically.

As for if it should or should not be allowed in the portal; ill leave that to the mods to decide; Id say the same things that apply to photography apply to this. then again; those same things apply to fractal art; and that is accepted (I think?)

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 12:19:25

At 12/30/10 11:21 AM, J-qb wrote: You are 15; youre not really entitled to an opinion as to what is or is not art. ;p

Oh yes of course, I forgot. I shall not judge art or what art is anymore.

My Deviantart | NG Art | Youtube Channel | Art Portfolio

Shameless self-promotion ftw!

BBS Signature

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 12:34:34

At 12/30/10 11:21 AM, J-qb wrote: You guys remember TONIKOR? His art is just photomanipulation; copypasting preexisting images together. Guess what ashman; IT`S ALLOWED IN THE PORTAL! :D

it has aspects that are hand drawn, and original, and its done well...not just at random, if databending is done with somebodys original art, im fine with it, with photos not so much, with a mix of the 2 its ok, besides, if done well it looks like itd give a good flair to some drawings/backgrounds or whatever

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 12:45:08

Well I guess my two cents is needed

well not really, but what the hey, go with it right?

I'm continuing to read the thread because I'm intrigued about Databending.
In all honesty, I really don't care for it. Like many others, I feel that it all just looks like a bunch of filter raped images. Although it looks like it is a round about way to go about it.
Data bending is something I probably won't ever try, it just doesn't seem like something I would want to do. But that doesn't mean I cannot learn about it.

I don't really care about the argument of user made art v.s. googled photographs, I feel like that is irrelevant to this discussion. Were suppose to be discussing the method of making data bent images and data bent images themselves, aren't we?

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 14:01:31

The thing with audiofiles sounds interesting.

But the image file editing with notepad++ sounds tedious and useless. Why put in all the effort to end up with an image that looks like the common PS rape you stumble upon too often these days.
Replacing colors by value is something PS can do with ease and instantly visible results.

BBS Signature

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 14:05:03

just because doing it is difficult it doesn't mean that the result is automatically a master piece: obviously your art can't be submitted to the art portal because it isn't traditional, meaning that it does involve photography. anyway i don't criticise the method, but the results, wich seem quite messy, low def and meaningless. i think you should try to give your pieces more sense, altering images in an artistic way, not just playing with RGB channels or distortion, without coming to a good looking pic. also everyone who makes a thread i the forum is showing his art waiting for other opinions, i think you should accept that, like anybody else.

Bringing the fun in funeral.

My Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 15:16:12

I, and the other Art Portal mods that I have heard from so far, are in agreement that data bending an existing image is not Art Portal appropriate. No matter the amount of time or effort that you invest, unless the image you come up with is a completely different work with very few ties to the original image(s) used (such as TONIKOR's collages), it is just a modification of someone else's work and as such is NOT ORIGINAL ART.

I think that there is a place for art work such as this, but that place is not in the art portal. I also think that data bending art is still in it's infancy and as such there is a lot of room for it to grow and develop into something better.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 16:27:26

Alright, so it seemed nobody cared in the lounge, but i was redirected here!
Im just gonna copypasta this because it took forever to type.
Also, this is more into the sound rather than glitching, but its similar enough that I think it works in this thread.

I was thinking about how they can turn images into these distorted images.
Then I was remembering how I read somewhere that some guy converted images into sound files and whatnot (they have those jigsaw puzzles that are aural representations of classical music).

So I looked it up and found a program that reads your picture and converts the pixels into sound... Here is the link to the program called AudioPaint in which you may do this. I have downloaded it and it works perfectly, no install required. For some reason though, I've had to open the program from inside the zip... Still works great though.

Next, I downloaded
this program, another safe, free, and install free program called Sonic Visualizer. What you can do in this is import a sound wave (in this case, exported from AudioPaint) into Sonic Visualizer, and it will give you a simple waveform. This is where it gets interesting.. You can recognize your original picture within the audio graphs

To help illustrate my point, I've done the whole process with the picture of our beloved Rig.

Here are the simplified steps after obtaining the 2 programs:
1. Find suitable picture (High contrast in black and white works better generally)
2. Open AudioPaint
3. File > Import Picture
4. Audio>Generate
(In this step, you may go to Audio>Preferences to tamper with your future result. The "Duration" value underneath the "Misc" section will determine how long your resulting sound clip is)
5. Listen to your bizarre spacey creation :3
6. File > Export Sound
----------
7. Open Sonic Visualizer
8. File > Import Audio File
9. Pane > Any of them you like!
(Ive found that the one labeled "Melodic Range Spectrogram" will give the most accurate results of the previous picture, but they all make really neat designs.)
10. Enjoy :D

--
Note
You can also change the color scheme of these graphs within Sonic Visualizer on the tabs to the right of the different panes
--

All the different panes are quite entertaining and provide fun results, but over the course of the past 2 hours, I've found this to be really fascinating and could make for some interesting additions to your art pieces. You could use these as textures, stand alone pieces, inspiration for separate art, whatever you want!

And I'm done spamming this post now I promise.

Databending

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 17:24:08

At 12/30/10 03:37 AM, ZX wrote: Yeah, maybe to you, but I personally think it's an artform. If you have a problem with that, don't post in the thread. I know I'm using the classic "IF U DONT LIKE IT Y ARE U LOOKING AT IT????????" copout argument but honestly, if you're not interested in Databending, there's really no reason for you to be posting here. If you disagree with it as an artform, then don't do it and report stuff you see in the portal that uses databending. This isn't in the art portal, and it's not breaking any rules. I'm allowed to discuss my artform just like anybody else. This is for people who are interested in unconventional art and not just the same old boring stuff.

Look dude I know you feel like your being picked on or whatever, and it's bruised your wittle ego, but saying he can't express his opinion about databending in a thread about how you should be able to express yourself through databending is extremely hypocritical. If you post it in a public forum he has as much right to say 'it's a load of shit' as you have to say it isn't. And if you are unprepared to rationally defend such attacks then you are the one who shouldn't be posting. If your opinions aren't worth defending they aren't worth having.

On to databending in general. I won't say it isn't art. But it is as much 'art' as is a screenshot of world of warcraft. It would be something if you did this with intent. If had something specific you were trying to achieve. Or if the image was one you originally created. Or if after you had finished databending the image you then went on to work over the top to express a thought, composition, or methodology. What you've done takes no more effort or thought than filtering a photo. So the accusations of filter rape are spot on.

In conclusion. Art is communication. So if this is truly 'art' then you should be able to tell me what exactly you intended to communicate.

Before you jump on me you should know that I have nothing against modern art. I have defended modern art here, and often. This just isn't.

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 17:45:02

I think it would be cooler if you could do the opposite of what you are doing.
Grap a filter raped (or "databent", whatever) picture and turn it into a cool drawing that doesn't look like it blew up and was pieced together by a blind 2 year old.

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 17:59:14

You are replacing colours of each pixel in large amounts to see what they look like, which could be reproduced by a program as simple as the latest paint. Painting and drawing is seen as art because of skill and practice and being inventive (I've always assumed) while this is not. A young child could replicate what you have done with the same technique.

You must either upload a picture, or enter some text for your signature.

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 18:33:54

Regardless of whatever the hell is going on in here. We all need to agree on one thing. 'Databending' sounds fucking badass. I thought I was rollin' up into some cyberpunk/ghost in the shell shit. I was ready to have my mind blown, but alas. Oh well, still a cool word.

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 19:03:39

At 12/30/10 06:33 PM, Hyptosis wrote: Regardless of whatever the hell is going on in here. We all need to agree on one thing. 'Databending' sounds fucking badass. I thought I was rollin' up into some cyberpunk/ghost in the shell shit. I was ready to have my mind blown, but alas. Oh well, still a cool word.

I agree with you.

Response to Databending 2010-12-30 19:14:39

When i read the first post i knew there would be a lot of debates thrown around.

Im not really knowledgeable about this process but Ill try to throw in some fors and againsts for people to discuss.

I would start by arguing that most great art is achieved through happy accidents. This bending data idea is essentially blindly editing an image in hope of an interesting outcome - not to say that thats a bad thing seeing as there are programs around like alchemy which promote uncontrolled image making.

Aesthetically, i would say the images you've created so far aren't my cup of tea, I could argue that photoshop is a better tool for 'bending' data if you were to put a blindfold on or roll a dice to decide which filters to use.

Personally i would say that if this interests you then I wouldn't discard this process at all until you feel you have explored every area of it. Even if it only contributes to a fraction of final images its always good to think outside the box.

Response to Databending 2010-12-31 01:20:39

Wow, I didn't expect people to actually post in here. I figured it'd get a few posts and die out. I read the thread and I'm not gonna argue with you guys, you're all entitled to your opinions. I'm just gonna keep talking about it and posting my work here - maybe expanding the photomanipulation to other kinds of databending and datamoshing.

Today, I'm going to experiment with something new and I'll walk you guys through it. I took an image that I drew and messed around with a few months ago, seen here. This originally was a picture I drew on iScribble that I palette edited in Irfanview. I took that image and then took a clip from the song "Hit The City" by Mark Lanegan. This is the first time I ever thought of taking actual audio and putting it in an image, and it left me with a band of static in the middle and a color change for the rest of the image. Here is the result.

Then I opened that in Photoshop and saved it as a JPG, and then reopened it in Goldwave as a JPG instead of a TIFF. JPG separates everything entirely differently than TIFFS so that everything is in three channels instead of one big one. This makes it a bit trickier to edit. After adding some more effects and putting in a 5 second clip from Melvins' "Bar X In The Rocking M", and some trial and error, I got this. Then I converted it to a .RAW image, which can be directly opened in almost any audio program. I opened it in Notepad++ and used a TextFX setting. It really only changed a bit of color and added a bit of underlying static-y looking stuff here.
Then, I took the original .tiff file and moshed it together with the .raw file in Goldwave.

Then I took everything and put each image in one layer of Photoshop and changed the blending settings around and low and behold: this monstrosity.
Most databending works well as background stuff to draw on or blend with. It doesn't always work on it's own but it always works as a base to work off of.

I'm still a bit rusty and by no means are you confined to what I do. If you really wanna get the full effect, find some old audio or text programs from windows 98 or previous and edit it in them. They tend to work better.