00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

froggartfrog just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Works In Progress Advice Thread!

117,806 Views | 509 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-12 03:46:09

At 10/12/08 03:27 AM, kenny2me wrote:
At 10/12/08 02:04 AM, gregaaron89 wrote:
At 10/11/08 08:40 PM, kenny2me wrote: [Incomplete] First Song WIP
Just add some reverb on a lot of those instruments, especially the piano. It will make it sound a lot better. And I'd put in a lot more pads to give it more atmosphere, and a grooving bassline. But composition is ultimately up to you.
Excuse my newbieness..
but..
"Pads"?..

Also, your song sounds good, but it isn't really my type of genre.

A pad is usually a atmospheric and subtle sound with a long note length and different tones or octaves. If you want an example of one you can listen to my song Advancement, it's right at the start.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-12 18:48:02

At 10/12/08 02:04 AM, gregaaron89 wrote:
http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/2208/612 4_Preview_4_mixed.mp3

UPDATE: http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/2208/178 57_Preview_4.5.mp3

sorry for posting so much :x

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-14 18:12:25

Alright I'm posting here to know what you guys think. Basically, I never know if I should add pads or not. Is it always better to have some in the background? I made a sort of dance loop because I like testing different genres (even if I suck at them) and there are no pads:

STREAM

So would it simply be better to add some pads in there? I think I'm always afraid to make it sound less crisp, I don't know. :(

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-15 19:15:12

I'm working on a cover of a nightwish song (mostly seeing if I can actually play all the mad riffs) called The Kinslayer. I think I've got the main riff down, but wanted any feedback you guys might be able to offer.

Kinslayer Cover

Also, any nightwish fans, would you happen to know if nightwish tunes somewhere other than concert?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-19 13:10:33

Hey guys, I got some unfinished songs for you to listen to. Ya know, little tunes or intros or whatever. Obviously none of them are ready to be submitted to the portal. They have errors and I'm sure you know what an error sounds like, so don't comment on that. Also, these are not the titles I will use when submitting to the portal, just labels, so don't comment on that either. I just wanna here what you think of them so far and if you want me to finish one up and submit it or whatever...

Hard Rock

Intro/Chorus?

Lead to solo

Metal intro/chorus

Speed intro

Progressive

Kreepy metal

Bass

Bass2

Solo

Thrash

Enjoy, comment.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-19 13:43:56

RICCOHARBOR.midi
do what you want 'cuz a pirate is free...

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-20 15:28:39

heres my updated one i just wanted to know like what can i do with it? lol
Lost WIP

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-21 16:52:01

Dudes listen up cause I am screaming for some good advice and I know that if I ask this as a threat that there is a big change that it will be locked...

Recently I uploaded a new track, basicly it was finished but I was not really aware of the fact that I had so much more idea's... this is the whole fuzzz...

The original track...

My remix which I have put into the middle part, so its 1 full minute longer

Its not a remix, its a complete extended version BUT I wonder...

2 things:

A: is it not TO much for hardstyle, do the people still pay intrest to the track if its this long (I seriously think that the REAL music lovers will appricate it but... well... you know... the flock... people that start to flame on everything which they dont understand ;p)

B: Should I remove my first upload cause... once again, I dont concider it a remix, but an extended version, and having 2 of well 90% the same track online is a bit to much...

Any advice?

Retro never get old!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-21 18:07:41

At 10/21/08 04:52 PM, Carf wrote: A: is it not TO much for hardstyle, do the people still pay intrest to the track if its this long (I seriously think that the REAL music lovers will appricate it but... well... you know... the flock... people that start to flame on everything which they dont understand ;p)

I think it's fine. Maybe a bit more of an intro beforehand would do some good to really build into it a bit more. Sounds great to me, though.

B: Should I remove my first upload cause... once again, I dont concider it a remix, but an extended version, and having 2 of well 90% the same track online is a bit to much...

I don't see why you would. It's a nice track on it's own, so why remove it?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-22 03:21:44

Thanx Nav your reply is more then appriciated. After a nice sleep I decided that I will indeed keep them both online ;)
I really like the idea to work out some more of these kinda tracks ;p
Keep up the creativity!

At 10/21/08 06:07 PM, Nav wrote:
At 10/21/08 04:52 PM, Carf wrote: A: is it not TO much for hardstyle, do the people still pay intrest to the track if its this long (I seriously think that the REAL music lovers will appricate it but... well... you know... the flock... people that start to flame on everything which they dont understand ;p)
I think it's fine. Maybe a bit more of an intro beforehand would do some good to really build into it a bit more. Sounds great to me, though.

I don't see why you would. It's a nice track on it's own, so why remove it?

Retro never get old!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-27 04:16:45

Here's something I whipped up today... no the drums aren't loops, I programmed them all myself :3 I'd really like to add horns or synth or piano to this or something, and my roommate is probably going to play guitar for it.

I was highly influenced by this song, just to show you guys the direction I want to head in. Except somehow this ended up jazzy but whatever. Pretty much all my songs are genre crossovers, and never come out the way I intended. I'm just worried it sounds cheesy as hell.

Also, I was thinking this could make a good background loop if I don't want to go all out.

OPINIONS PLEASE! I know this thread is slow as hell but could someone actually respond to me this time?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-28 03:35:11

i didnt read the 'rules' b4 posting this up but considering i already did it, what the hell.

just want advice y0

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-29 13:53:55

At 10/28/08 03:35 AM, Frazmaster wrote: i didnt read the 'rules' b4 posting this up but considering i already did it, what the hell.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 82908
just want advice y0

I like it. Like you say in the description, it needs some mastering and whatnot but I personally think it's great.

I could use some input for this:
Boss music (early stages)

Also: How do you put links to your songs that look like Frazmaster's?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-30 01:01:38

TdM / Cannibal Brigade / The Silent Minority / NUG Ventrilo Mod

Cyrez Tha War Spawn

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-11-09 02:58:54

this is my current project that I have been working on in FL8. Basically I am going for a DnB track but I am not sure which direction to go in or if I should incorperate all that is in this track into a final song.

I think I have some good ideas going on I just need to create a focus and direction for the song.

I am also willing to collab with anyone who is interested.

Pm me if you are interested in a collab!

Click HERE to listen to my style!

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-10 02:43:55

At 10/30/08 01:01 AM, war-spawn wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 83383
I'm lost :<

Well, i think you need to remove the bad-quality sounds in the beginning, or at least reduce their volume. And the song is a bit to repetive. Try finding more samples to put in.
BTW Psy-nigma your song doesnt seem to be there.

My song

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-10 04:22:40

I dont have anything up yet because im stuck on what i think is the hardest part. comming up with a melody. anybody with expierence of making melodys give some pointers on the best or most simple method?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-10 05:16:33

At 12/10/08 04:22 AM, HardcoreBrigade wrote: I dont have anything up yet because im stuck on what i think is the hardest part. comming up with a melody. anybody with expierence of making melodys give some pointers on the best or most simple method?

The first step is usually to come up with a chord progression. The most common is a 4 chord progression, though 2 chords is also common (though repetitive) I like mixing major and minor chords, makes it very interesting. The melody should stick mostly to the root notes of the chord- that is the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th. And the notes should lead into the chord changes. Of course it's more complex than that but I'm sleepy... goodnight.

Check this out.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-11 02:00:53

K guys... i have a WIP finally to bring to the table.

Advice on where to go from here... What are you expecting to hear next... or even changes to the intro.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Audio Surgery

I got my wisdom teeth fing pulled

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-11 10:14:38

The first step is usually to come up with a chord progression. The most common is a 4 chord progression, though 2 chords .

Check this out.

Thanks 4 the advise im gonna give it a try

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-11 12:56:22

Not sure where to go with this tune it gets to a point and i dont really know what to do with it tbh
Any advice? :s

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-12 01:29:01

I have a new project in the making and I wanted you guys to let me know what you think and Ideas on where to go with the track.

Enjoy and Thank you!

And if you like what you hear I am always up for a collab or remixing.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-12 18:15:14

At 12/12/08 01:29 AM, Psy-nigma wrote: I have a new project in the making and I wanted you guys to let me know what you think and Ideas on where to go with the track.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 93888
Enjoy and Thank you!

And if you like what you hear I am always up for a collab or remixing

I just wanted to apologize for making it seem like I have only been posting and not responding. I have been going about checking other WIP's but sending the authors pm's instead of talking in the forums.

I do also want to say that I have updated the above track thanks to a WIP reader who gave me suggestions. the new mix has a new link and can be found on my page.

see you all around and if you want me to look at your songs just pm me.

P.s. i also apologize for double posting .

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-14 11:47:31

so i just left a review on psynigma's iris clouds wip. so here's one o mine, i tried making an old-school hiphop beat.

i know it is really repetitive right now, and has nothing but essentially 3 instruments; so i dont really want comments on that unless you have suggestions on what to add. what i want to know is if you think it is catchy and is conducive to having a rap over it [given i appropriately shape the beat around the vocals]. yup.

Beat

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-15 10:38:00

At 12/10/08 02:43 AM, 541-ExE wrote:
At 10/30/08 01:01 AM, war-spawn wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 83383
I'm lost :<
Well, i think you need to remove the bad-quality sounds in the beginning, or at least reduce their volume. And the song is a bit to repetive. Try finding more samples to put in.
BTW Psy-nigma your song doesnt seem to be there.

My song

Just want to say that i have made a new user, so sending pms to my old user wont work

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-16 23:03:13

http://www.musicuploader.org/MUSIC/95549 61229480329.mp3

something after a long time of not making anything good..

any advice would be helpful :)

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-16 23:47:42

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-26 10:08:48

I attempted to make hardstyle today, or my own variation on it. Since I don't listen to it or even really like the genre that much I have no idea if this is good or not. It's just a beat and bass, no need to comment on the lack of synths :P Just wanted to know if it sounds good so far and if the transitions work at all.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/3808/241 01_LOLLLLLLZ.mp3

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-27 08:01:50

just got sent to this thread. man, the NG forum system is weird! instead of most forums, where you make threads inside of a category, here on NG you just make a thread for the entire category, causing like 300 - 500 posts in a single thread!

whatever - I'm working on this track with someone from NG, but I forgot his NG username, so I'll just post it later.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nmnzdnnlgny

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-12-27 15:38:28

here's an updated version of the same track. it's almost finished, so the final track should be uploaded soon. tonight or tomorrow, I hope.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zvjtdmjwzl0