00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MoxKatt just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Works In Progress Advice Thread!

117,516 Views | 509 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-06-01 13:39:20

Continuing with the trend of hilarity, copy pasting didn't work as fully as I'd hoped.

zSHARE / Radius8 [WIP].

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-06-15 22:47:38

nemesis, when im on a computer with decent sound [i.e. later tomorrow], then ill give you criticism... though i noticed hte metal gear, and lots of kudos haha

but for now i wanted to show something i made, but im not sure if hte vox fit in with teh song. its an electro remix of feel good inc, and i havent done muich with it--i wanna know if you guys think that hte vox are fitting at all, and if they are, then i will proceed to splice and dice accordingly :)

link

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-06-16 14:55:09

ok, here we go:

yea, i thought the beginning was definately very decent. the only major things i'd change are:

1) the electric guitar--while it is a cool touch and definately should be there, i wish it had more body--a thicker, bassier sound and would do it good.
2) in fact, the whole beginning's bass seemed to be there, but strong at all. this song is so intense, i want my walls to shake from it >_<
3) the percussion. the arrangement is good, but they are a little bit lost in the drama of it all. boost it a bit, and maybe throw on some compression to make them tighter and have more punch.

as it gets to the middle to the MGS theme, note: i wish the lead changed here. it looks like a good place for transition especially since you are going to a different melodic structure. so, if i were you, i'd introduce a lot of variety here--all you really did was change the melody, but i think there should be more.

you threw in a solo for a synth, and that was good :D the two synths interact well.

finally, for that chiptunes feel, try incorporating some hyperfast oscillation [i.e. it switches between notes in a chord really really fast] as chords on the lead maybe--i think it would fit in well with the vibes of the song =] just a random suggestion.

so, overall, i think if oyu make it more varied, boost bass on the mix, and strengthen the percussion, this could be really really good. i love the videogame feel already, and with some tweaking, this is EPIC WIN!

and, check out the WIP i posted on the post above this kkthxbai.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-07-04 22:21:14

yay, reviving the thread again :) i want some feedback on this WIP. im jst having fun with it so its kinda messy, but i think it has potential for awesome :) its a house-based sample-driven remix of september by earth wind and fire [original], someone plz leave comment and if u want a wip of ur own :D

im sad that nobody posts here anymore :[

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-07-04 22:34:20

um, the rules are that you discuss the WIP before you before posting your own... but i'll check them out a little bit later, kinda busy now :\

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-07-05 00:34:34

due to lejin spam, this got kicked off front page really fast. so bumppppp!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-07-09 17:51:55

Haha, there's not that much to say about that remix... since it is that kind of a remix. Though a few minor things could be done- like having a bit of more variation in the first minute- I'm getting dizzy from hearing that kick 'n choir sound (first heard at 0:08). I really have no idea what more to suggest :( and it doesn't make sense to comment on those months old wips that were posted earlier.

Therefore I am a bit ashamed to ask for opinions and ideas for this one thing I made just about now (any ideas for names anyone?):
http://media.putfile.com/Tradd

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-07-09 19:27:01

At 7/9/08 05:51 PM, SBB wrote: Haha, there's not that much to say about that remix... since it is that kind of a remix. Though a few minor things could be done- like having a bit of more variation in the first minute- I'm getting dizzy from hearing that kick 'n choir sound (first heard at 0:08). I really have no idea what more to suggest :( and it doesn't make sense to comment on those months old wips that were posted earlier.

Therefore I am a bit ashamed to ask for opinions and ideas for this one thing I made just about now (any ideas for names anyone?):

Your song is very relaxing and has a soothing melody. Sounds like it would go great with some vocals, plus then you don't have to worry about repetition as much. I like the rhythm and the percussion in general. One thing I would change is to make the bass slightly more pronounced, but that's more of a personal preference.

Here's my work in progress if any of you guys care to give feedback:

WIP

Newest song: Dinosaur Alien

Reviews/comments appreciated!

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-07-29 00:38:49

Bringing this thread back from the dead! :)

Alright, my current WiP is a happy bouncy dance track, something I've never tried before. Do you guys have any advice on it?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/16149780c5c2 1f9f/

I started making this song as a bit of "thank you" to Newgrounds for having so many nice contributors and songs, which is why I went for something happy sounding. I think it's a WiP but I'm at a point now where I think this could actually be all of it! Which is why I'm posting this here, so you guys can tell me. :P

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-08-10 19:00:22

Hey guys, one of my friends saw Mariah Carey had a contest going on for remixing a single of hers, so I decided to take it on since it seemed like a fun song to remix lol.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought about my concept right now, a slow house version of the song.

===========

SUPRADARKY: my comments: the lead bloopy synth followed a good melody, the off-key notes every now and then were cool. i think it could be better if they had were shaped a little less--like just a straight wave, theres a quality to them that makes it seem not as unfeeling.

the drums could have been better - either a stronger bass drum or a more subdued one would have been better i think, the one u have now seems a little too... presetty? lol. for the hats, try varying the volume, like makign it go from soft to loud on each triplet to make it more dynamic, and the snare sample is just lame--i'd find a completely different sound for it, or just remove it alltogether if it still sounds good.

the backup lead was cliched NG style, but it fit the style of teh song well enough i guess. i think a deep pad would have worked a lot better, but thats jst my opinion. the bassline would have also been better if u can make it lower and deeper. you can try keeping the original sound by layering it with a low sine wave instead of just a sawtooth--i wanna feel my woofers shake more :)

i guess thats all my constructive crit for now, hope i helped!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-08-11 00:17:05

bumppppp :[

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-08-11 20:39:53

nooooo dont let the thread dieeee

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-08-11 22:50:53

Sooo... i cant submit this yet cuz i cant submit from home.. but i guess ill see what you think and make any changes before hand
Let me know what i should change
WIP
Called Out of Place :/

Mue = music engineering... its not a typo.. it was just a dumb thing to do

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-08-12 00:22:25

nooooooooo read the rules!! comment on the post before before you post your own... *sigh* ill look at it tomorrow evening though. but i still want thoughts on mine ;)

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-08-12 00:30:46

At 8/12/08 12:22 AM, p4c wrote: nooooooooo read the rules!! comment on the post before before you post your own... *sigh* ill look at it tomorrow evening though. but i still want thoughts on mine ;)

Whoooaaaa looking at my rules now they seem pretty imposing... Not something that a newbie would feel like an easy read. Wow. Seriously. What was I thinking? Or that could just be because its late at night now. Dunno. Either way, it's not that much of a problem. I'm sure he'll leave some comments after he reads them/your post.

About your track. I like the concept. Rhodes feels a bit raw, could use a touch of reverb or tape-ish delay even. I think that maybe some sort of bass synth would work nicely too. Maybe even an electric bass type of thing, like BooBass. Just mess around with them. I like the idea. Now you need to execute it, and make a full length track.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-08-12 01:50:42

At 8/12/08 12:22 AM, p4c wrote: nooooooooo read the rules!! comment on the post before before you post your own... *sigh* ill look at it tomorrow evening though. but i still want thoughts on mine ;)

Oh noes i didn't read
Dont flip a shit
I'll review you :/
First off..Grow some nads and stop being a whiny 12 year old...
as far as ur "ill be loving" song
it feels like the vocals come in off the beat in a way that was a bit weird to me
Anyways I dont really know the song, and what parts of it are what you have done and what are part of the original song.
Did you just add the beats? because if so its hardly your work :/
but yeah I guess the concepts okay
What parts of it are you? Obviously not the vocals...
It sounds good and all... but then again im pretty sure the original was already amazingly mastered
Sounds like it could be well developed. Good luck with that.
If all you did is the beats though... Thats hardly a WIP or your own work :/

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-08-12 01:56:50

At 7/29/08 12:38 AM, SupraDarky wrote: Bringing this thread back from the dead! :)

Supra I like the feel of this nice and mellow
But theres one or two notes on the short percussive synth loop that doesnt fit in.
Its not overly complex but sounds very pleasant. Fun with panned bounces
Would be a good song for a flash game.

In example for the notes
The third note I feel should be a Bflat instead of a B
If you intended this sound then mah bad, but it still sounds weird to me :P but all in all keep it up. Looks promising

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-08-12 21:28:07

At 8/12/08 01:50 AM, Muesical-Pope wrote:
Oh noes i didn't read
Dont flip a shit
I'll review you :/
First off..Grow some nads and stop being a whiny 12 year old...
as far as ur "ill be loving" song
it feels like the vocals come in off the beat in a way that was a bit weird to me
Anyways I dont really know the song, and what parts of it are what you have done and what are part of the original song.
Did you just add the beats? because if so its hardly your work :/
but yeah I guess the concepts okay
What parts of it are you? Obviously not the vocals...
It sounds good and all... but then again im pretty sure the original was already amazingly mastered
Sounds like it could be well developed. Good luck with that.
If all you did is the beats though... Thats hardly a WIP or your own work :/

lets not turn this into a flame battle, but the point of the wip thread is to get comments on ur wip, not for ppl to incessantly post them and not bother to leave advice. you should grow some nads, learn to read, stop jumping to insults, and then finally fulfill the point of the thread instead of undermining it. im not flipping a shit--it just doesnt help at all when the review is neglected. the only reason i didnt leave u a review immedately was because i had to go to work the next day.

in regards to my song, the only part that isn't me is the vocals, and im splicing them up now. for the intro few seconds, i threw in some other parts of the song into it, but im still working on it so i havent spent much time splicing yet. if you want to know how it originally sounded, here is the youtube link.
================
for your song, here we go.

intro starts out nice. good job. when the drums and vox came in i think they felt like they just were slapped in. try leading into them, maybe be less abrupt in introducing those elements or just have some sort of transition.

the guitar is good throughout the song. i love the sound, its very pensive and thoughtful. in terms of mixing, i wish it was more immersive--this is a large aspect of the vibes of teh song, so widening it with a stereo imager, thorwing a soft reverb, or splitting it and spreading to the right and the left on the mixer may be a good idea.

the vocals throughout sounded a bit feeble, like you were trying to restrain yourself a ton instead of letting your voice come out fully. but be careful about that because i dont you probably dont want to sound like your screaming or somehting lol. and sometimes, i could tell you recorded them in separate instances and it made it flow strangely at points like 0:49. and finally, you may wanna consider an autotuner.... lol.

the lyrics were fine, though [sappy cliches? i dont care lol]

the backup vox every now and then were you make your voice chorded got lost--i didn't hear it until i listened a few times.

i wish the drums werent so far back in the mix. it makes it a bit shallow, and too trebly if you ask me. the bass drum gets lost and the snare sounds tinny [no i dont have a shitty system lol].

i think i'll assume that the bass guitar is synthetic because it sounds that way. i think you should modulate pitch and loudness more, along with some slight distortion, to get a more realistic sound.

the sound of the keys [starting :38 or so] didn't jive very well for me, i guess i just dont like the sound of them. it was too synthetic and unfeeling, and the chords you chose were a little bland, even if they did follow the tune of teh song. maybe some dissonances may be interesting.

throughout the whole song, for basically all your melodies, they don't vary enough dynamically. it makes them sound almost blatantly synthetic but trying not to be, you know? the subtleties matter so i think you should focus on that.

i think i had more comments, but i had to leave my computer for a few hours and i dont remember what i was going to say lol. maybe something about variation, since it seemed pretty constant the whole time, i guess. but im not sure, so i hope this stuff helps lol. cheers.

==

and nav, yeah, i think they can be really simplified to something to this effect:

[0) post it externally, not on newgrounds--this isn't an audio advertisement thread, you know.]

1) post wips here.
2) review the person before you.
3) don't repost wips.

[4) bump if needed :[ the thread gets inactive easily]

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-08-12 21:39:43

nav, ill def take your advice. but where exactly do u see the lack of bass? im purty sure the part with the rhodes immediately has a low-freq synth bass lol. u talking about the intro? or not a good sound for the bass? or mixed too softly or something? lol

and zellers, here you go:

haha this song is wonderful. thanks for remixing it lawlzz. if u want the vocals you can probably find it on acapellas4u.co.uk.

starting off strong, good sounding bass drum. the snare sample is a little weak for me personally, but it kind of works. this building up intro is pretty cool! but what's that sound at :28? lol. it seems to cut out some of the background sounds. also, the sound that goes up in tone maybe could be a little louder and have some effects on it [but maybe not the effects--the song sounds really dry, which is good in this case]

afterwards, for the lead, i think you should bring up that square or whatever it is so you can hear the melody better--the bass overpowers it too much. and that yelp/doot doot bloops every few measures are good lol. finally, the background percussion really sets the mood. this works for an intro, but for the rest of the song, what i think would sound very danceable and nice is sidechaining the sub-bass on that reesy sound and making the whole reesy bass play nonstop instead of fragmented. another possibility is to highpass the whole thing for parts of the intro or transitions throughout the song, i think it would work as both a building up element and an interesting change somehwere in teh middle :)

i think you got a wonderful start on your hands, its really clearly mixed and brings some life back into this sad worn out party song haha.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-08-12 22:03:16

Well cool, not trying to turn it into a flame war its just this page is 80% your posts and OMGRULEZ is a bit unnecessary. A calm reminder is nice :P :/ anyways whatever I don't really care mostly I was just in a grumpy mood :P so sorry

So listened to the original, and I like the direction your splicing and cutting and whatnot is going. I do in fact look forward to a finished product there

As far as my song goes, yeah it was a bit slapped together. I kinda did it in sporadic parts out of town. And then recorded whats there one evening. Sappy lyrics i know :P but maybe ill fix that later
As far as the bass goes... yeah its hella fake. And as you called its basically all the same velocity and volume :P i didnt really do much with it. And i kinda got stuck on trying to transition around vocals... because when i originally made the parts i did it ithout vocals, and when i added them in.. i was kinda mentally stuck on the way I had it before though it needs to change.

As far as mastering... :/ I kinda suck with that as far as I know...
More immersive I will look into
And bringing the drums up as well

Sorry for being annoyed, I are been grumpy alot lately :P
Thanks for the review and good luck with the house carey mix

Actually I really like your mix so far soooo yeah Keep it up Holms

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-09-30 15:38:35

Heres my wip http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UIQC3Y2Y
Sorry about not commenting on another one because the other ones are all old. LOL

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-09-30 15:41:45

At 7/4/08 10:21 PM, p4c wrote: yay, reviving the thread again :) i want some feedback on this WIP. im jst having fun with it so its kinda messy, but i think it has potential for awesome :) its a house-based sample-driven remix of september by earth wind and fire [original], someone plz leave comment and if u want a wip of ur own :D

im sad that nobody posts here anymore :[

nm bout my other post.
That is really good the way it is, But mabey a little less repetive and possible some lyrics?
Nice Job.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-02 20:56:30

Hey, just thought I'd throw my hat in and give the fine NG community a link...

Absent - a lot of people, both online and IRL, seem to dig the rhythm to this one. It's nothing too complicated, but I guess it is a little catchy. Kind of stuck on the bridge, dunno where to take it. I have some queer palm muting shit right now, but I mean come on... I'm not a member of Blink 182.

Hell, someone even used it in a flash. Not really a good flash, but still kinda cool seeing a piece of crap with no mastering and poor mixing I wrote being used.

domestic violence can be funny too!

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-03 00:04:27

This is a good thread idea, I think I'll chip in for a song or two.

Anyways, I've got a song here on NG that I felt was unfinished and people have agreed with me on this matter, so I decided to work on a "Part 2" for the song. I still haven't come up with many ideas, but I've thrown a few things around, changed samples, and added a few more synths.. but I still feel that it's unfinished. This is the part two I've been working on and could use some feedback and ideas (Haven't taken the time to master and level anything yet so.. =\)

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-11 20:40:04

[Incomplete] First Song WIP

This is the first song I've made in FL-Studio.
It isn't finished yet, and I was wondering if anyone would have a listen to it please and give me any suggestions or tips? I want to submit this on the Audio Portal when it's 'perfect'.. which isn't right now.

thank you!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-11 20:56:01

I have no idea. It's just some kind of trance, I don't know. I've gotten a little farther so far in the track, and I've already chanced the introduction, but other than that, I'm completely stuck. Haven't written generic trance in a while :(

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-11 21:28:07

At 10/11/08 08:56 PM, ZENON wrote: I have no idea. It's just some kind of trance, I don't know. I've gotten a little farther so far in the track, and I've already chanced the introduction, but other than that, I'm completely stuck. Haven't written generic trance in a while :(

It sounds pretty good Zenon. Personally, I think a breakdown would be nice after that phase, double the 8 measures after the drop and add a melodic, ethnic type synth or plucked sound and I"m sure it would work out.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-12 02:04:43

At 10/11/08 08:40 PM, kenny2me wrote: [Incomplete] First Song WIP

Just add some reverb on a lot of those instruments, especially the piano. It will make it sound a lot better. And I'd put in a lot more pads to give it more atmosphere, and a grooving bassline. But composition is ultimately up to you.

I'd like some feedback on this song I'm making, I was going for deep trance when I started it. I'm gonna put layers of echoey crashes and fancy effects later, when I get the full length song structure out. I'm going for 6-8 minutes, don't know how I'm gonna do it D: Any suggestions?

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/2208/612 4_Preview_4_mixed.mp3

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-12 02:16:51

At 7/9/08 05:51 PM, SBB wrote:

to be brutally honest, one thing i really have to point out right away is that the bass sounds horribly out of tune to me. the higher note's okay, but it's the two lower ones are just really really flat. you could just detune it a few semitones up, but i'd just change out the bass completely for something more punchy.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-10-12 03:27:05

At 10/12/08 02:04 AM, gregaaron89 wrote:
At 10/11/08 08:40 PM, kenny2me wrote: [Incomplete] First Song WIP
Just add some reverb on a lot of those instruments, especially the piano. It will make it sound a lot better. And I'd put in a lot more pads to give it more atmosphere, and a grooving bassline. But composition is ultimately up to you.

Excuse my newbieness..
but..
"Pads"?..

Also, your song sounds good, but it isn't really my type of genre.