00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

namilos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Works In Progress Advice Thread!

117,836 Views | 509 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-10 21:28:28

This thread is hella old, but I need some help.
I'm not sure if this is worth submitting or not. It's a remix of Final Fantasy 7s battle theme.
Any tips?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-10 21:38:05

At 3/10/08 09:28 PM, flashmac wrote: This thread is hella old, but I need some help.

It ain't that old man. I'm still around here.

I'm not sure if this is worth submitting or not. It's a remix of Final Fantasy 7s battle theme.
Any tips?

I've never heard the original... So I'll give it a go.

Sounds a bit quiet overall... you might be able to bring up some of the volume levels without problems. Blend is nice, and it has a nice beat under it all. Try varying the beat a bit more, its sort of repetitive.

Not bad, though! Continue this man!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-10 21:50:29

Turn up the volume? Okay.
I know it's repetitive but there's not much more to the actual song and what WAS left, it didn't harmonize with the drums. But thanks for the tips. I'll keep it in mind.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-10 21:52:31

Awesome thread!!
My song Skye could use a few tips if anyone is willing..
And maybe some advice as to where I could continue, I'm stuck :/

Gran Turismo 5.

That is all.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-10 22:07:34

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

-Ambrose Bierce

"This sig, is fucking cool."

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-10 22:10:44

At 3/10/08 10:07 PM, ChocloMan wrote: Whaddaya think? I need to finish this by thursday O:

Aside from the how repetitive it was, it was very good.
It was quiet though too.

So switch it up a bit here and there and turn it up a tad.

Gran Turismo 5.

That is all.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-10 22:16:27

At 3/10/08 10:10 PM, Sialys wrote:
Aside from the how repetitive it was, it was very good.
It was quiet though too.

So switch it up a bit here and there and turn it up a tad.

Repetitive? It changes like every ten seconds :P
And also, volume is not a problem, that's just a midi, not what the final product would sound like.

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

-Ambrose Bierce

"This sig, is fucking cool."

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-10 22:21:14

Oh sorry, I'm using terrible headphones so I'm not a very reliable resource lol
But hey, I tried.

Gran Turismo 5.

That is all.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-10 23:23:17

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll finish it, but just as a loop mabey. I'm not sure yet. As for your song, Sialys, I thought it was a very good piano melody. However, it got a bit boring after a while. I sugest mabey adding more instruments to it. But I'm not and expert on classical stuff so I'm not sure if this is supposed to be straight up piano or not. Either way, I think you should finish it.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-10 23:29:40

Classical?
I don't think you listened to my music...

I don't have any classical lol

Gran Turismo 5.

That is all.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-10 23:41:44

At 3/10/08 10:07 PM, ChocloMan wrote: Whaddaya think? I need to finish this by thursday O:

Are you adding more intruments?
As for the actual piece, there are a few points where it seems to jump a little to suddenly for my taste.
At 0:25 for example, it just didn't sound...right.
The rest of it sounded pretty interesting. at 0:48 i liked.
The ending..needs more work.

So yeah, good luck finishing by your deadline. ^_^

Review me and I shall review you!

- My Audio - My deviantArt -

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-10 23:55:55

A demo

Something I'm working on right now. I'm thinking piano solo, but thats rather cliché so I don't think I will. Oh well, any advice?

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-11 00:01:31

At 3/10/08 11:29 PM, Sialys wrote: Classical?
I don't think you listened to my music...

I don't have any classical lol

Oh shit! My bad I was talking about chocloman.
Sorry about that.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-11 00:10:00

At 3/10/08 11:55 PM, Envy wrote: A demo

Something I'm working on right now. I'm thinking piano solo, but thats rather cliché so I don't think I will. Oh well, any advice?

Starts off with a good pickup into the beat.
The vocal was a little weird, but i liked.

At 0:26 it jumps into something that doesn't seem to be in the right spot. Maybe add something in between those two transitions?

And as for the end...Possibly something like the beginning would work, in my opinion.

Review me and I shall review you!

- My Audio - My deviantArt -

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-11 02:37:49

I've actualy been working on a piano of Another Day by dream theater. It's definately the hardest peice I've atempted on the piano yet and I only have the first 21 measures down, but guidance and critisims whould be much appreciated.

WUML Lowell 91.5 FM - Real Underground Radio

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-11 02:43:23

Finally found this thread =D
http://www.mediafire.com/?cr5mh3mxzcm

tips?

NG Radio - A superb podcast with good songs from the NG Audio Portal

Get Respect from me=)

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-11 03:14:38

At 3/11/08 02:43 AM, Jurian wrote: Finally found this thread =D
http://www.mediafire.com/?cr5mh3mxzcm

tips?

I just write this when listening:

- I like when the bass comes in
- The conga's are good
- Good Latin btw :P

WTF why are you posting this, I think this is like the way you ment it, good music!

nothing to add :P

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-11 09:04:24

I've always visited NG to look around, especially the audio portal. I love all the feed back that people give, rather than some other sites I know of... just a bunch of hate words. Anyway, I've posted three songs or loops or what ever you want to call them. I guess this forum is the best for advise. I want to be able to create a "whole" song. Please review my WIP audio. I already expect some bashing, don't worry, be brutal. If my sh17 f*k1n sucks, just say it plain out... but at least say something that would help me improve (^_^).

NG FAN
-gabe-
PS: I know my aka name is lame... buh... wateva~ =)

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-11 21:56:23

NEW DEMO

Any help advice would be appreciated!!

Pat!M /// a.k.a Dj Pope

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-12 23:47:37

At 3/12/08 09:09 PM, ShortMonkey wrote: Comments?

Not bad. I would suggest changing the instrument that starts of the song though to a more synth sounding one. To dj-pope, your link is broken.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-13 14:39:36

are demo's good too? suspose so :D
ive read the first post ( navj ) and i will review some1 soon so just be patient
alrighty then
[ur=clickme]http://www.newgrounds.com/au dio/listen/129808[/url]
its just a demo i started. so dont expect the best quality. tell me what you think and what is a MUST in the final version. critic me! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-13 15:57:00

I've been working on a remix of "Cool" by Lowrider. The drums are temporary, and I haven't fleshed out the melody yet (still repeats often..)
What do you all think I should do with this?
Link :D

You will lol, and you will like it.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-14 01:30:40

At 3/13/08 03:57 PM, Shenkhar wrote: I've been working on a remix of "Cool" by Lowrider. The drums are temporary, and I haven't fleshed out the melody yet (still repeats often..)

Sounds nice and clean. Very good. I say you should finish it.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-14 12:35:27

At 3/13/08 03:57 PM, Shenkhar wrote: I've been working on a remix of "Cool" by Lowrider. The drums are temporary, and I haven't fleshed out the melody yet (still repeats often..)

I think you should certainly replace the percussion (not the composition, which is find, but the sound), and I think the background synths you have in there now get a bit on the repetitive and annoying side of things. They're much too prominent to be on that linear repeating type deal you have going, so I'd think about scrapping those and finding something else to fill out that lead synth. Also, that pounding generic bass is, well, generic and annoyingly repetitive. The section without it, tellingly, is the most interesting part of what you have here (around :50, I believe).

But I haven't heard the original, so take the above with a grain of salt. And you should finish this, because it is the sort of song that most AP listeners really dig. I just think it could use some work.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-14 13:00:25

...and the thing I'm working on:
3/11

This is intentionally more sparse, but please let me know if any parts are too sparse or boring. Any suggestions, really, I'd love, because I'm liking how this is shaping up. Thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-14 13:30:47

At 11/24/07 02:30 PM, HatedMann wrote: http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/3507/735 89_Walk.mp3

Something I've been working on. I haven't spent so much time on it yet, though, like 30 minutes or so. Continue or ditch? I'm new to this audio producing thing.

Suggestions on how to improve it and what to change would be great, too!

I think that you need to take what you have and make it kind of sickly in a creepy way. This won't make any sense whatsoever as only I would understand whatever the hell is coming from my mouth, but that small intro sounds kind of chirpy, but to the point where it sounds as though it's about to go insane. Build upon that.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-14 15:51:01

At 3/14/08 01:00 PM, kevs91 wrote: ...and the thing I'm working on:
3/11

This is intentionally more sparse, but please let me know if any parts are too sparse or boring. Any suggestions, really, I'd love, because I'm liking how this is shaping up. Thanks.

Pretty nice, here are my thoughts:
1) Try not to play chords in the lower range, limit yourself to one or two notes. It's a lot easier to get clashing notes in the lower ranges, even if they wouldn't normally clash in the middle or higher octaves.
2) Up to the point where the guitar comes in, it's basically variations of the same melody repeated over and over. You need to make it more interesting - I don't hear any dynamics in there, and you could create a second melody to work with as well.
3) Your left and right hand parts are playing at about the same volume. You want your right hand, which is playing the melody, to play louder, and your left hand a bit softer.
4) The electric guitar coming in sounds really quiet, and somewhat random. Make it louder! :D
5) The bass guitar is playing harmony, isn't it? It probably should be quieter, while the piano and electric guitar, playing the melody, should be louder.

Overall, it's nice, but it's pretty boring. Once again, make it interesting - perhaps you could add a structure of some sort to the song? Like, instead of "this part is where the guitar comes in, this part is where it leaves, this part is where the drums play for a while," something like "this part is where the piano slows down and gets quieter, this part is where the guitar becomes louder, this part is where the drummming builds up, this part is where they all play together." Hope that helps! ;)

As for my own WIPs, I've been stuck with this one for quite a while now and could use some suggestions on where to go with it. :\

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-16 04:41:51

At 3/14/08 03:51 PM, Karco wrote:
As for my own WIPs, I've been stuck with this one for quite a while now and could use some suggestions on where to go with it. :\

It's a kick ass song, nothing to make it better, only like a real intro or something.
I could use tips on this.
It starts out as the average Jurian song but gets more Rock Like after a while.

NG Radio - A superb podcast with good songs from the NG Audio Portal

Get Respect from me=)

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-17 13:36:14

Should I make a 7 min song or a 8 min song

Hmmmmmm =)

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-03-17 21:28:02

At 3/14/08 03:51 PM, Karco wrote:

:Criticism...

Hey, I forgot to thank you for your honest and thorough thoughts on that, so... thanks.
I'm not planning on finishing it, but each track is a learning experience and you gave me some things to think about, so again, thanks.

BBS Signature