00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

stupidvampire just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Works In Progress Advice Thread!

117,456 Views | 509 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-07-21 17:43:40

Ok heres a song which i have enjoyed working on, i want to carry on but thought id let public hear first for tips advice and what u guys would like added or changed.
=]

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-07-21 17:50:34

Haha, just realised this thread existed. I think I'll give it a shot, since this is the first WIP I put on newgrounds...

There you go, now, let the review storm begin!

lulz

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-08-01 22:17:03

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-10-07 15:03:47

Big bump, but meh. I'll review someone else's now. This is a breakcore track with a...."Trick" intro.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-10-07 16:38:44

At 10/7/09 03:03 PM, poopr1221 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 78300
Big bump, but meh. I'll review someone else's now. This is a breakcore track with a...."Trick" intro.

the overall of this song sounds to me like a ... chaotic string of random percussion hits. however, towards the end of the track it gets a bit more orginized wich is, according to me, required to tweak the song without disturbing the intention of the song. you could mess around some more with that bass/zoom/kick (or whatever its called). also a bit of melody like things wouldnt hurt. melody can be chaotic too.

hope it was a bit helpful ^^'

Living life like i should

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-10-07 16:43:22

i myself am also stuck .. with this: Friendly haze (work title)
i want to put in more sounds but i cant think up of anything that would sound nice. and any other comments are welcome too.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-10-08 09:51:36

I've never really used this thread, but here goes nothing.

Could somebody give me some input on my song? I think it has potential but i can't seem to make it any better ;(.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-10-08 12:43:38

>.< please read thread rules people.
you are supposed to revieuw a WIP before posting one yourself....

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-10-08 14:44:43

At 10/8/09 12:43 PM, C-life wrote: >.< please read thread rules people.
you are supposed to revieuw a WIP before posting one yourself....

Yeah you right, this thread isn't really turning out how Nav intended too. ( And i'm guilty of it too ).
This is turning into yet another audio advertisement thread where people just spam their latest stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-10-08 17:13:20

i commented on a wip and posted one myself to get help... not to get other people post after me w/o any content about how i could improve my song..
so please anyone!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-10-09 02:45:27

Well so far i've commented on Flamming's Recent WIP posting in here. I'll try to look at some others, i mean if this thread will be relevant.

This is mine. Though i'm guessing the kind of music i work on wont be what the masses like in here.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-10-09 23:40:27

Hey, Im sorta a new artist, check out my new trance / dance / techno song:

Review for a review.
You scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Um, yeah.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-10-30 11:15:17

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-10-30 15:05:55

Hey quit posting your shit, if you didn't notice this thread isn't producing results, so it is basically a lost cause.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-11-05 14:44:54

I have two songs i'm currently working on, any advice would be greatly appreciated

This and This

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-11-07 02:27:18

Hey I need some advice for my newest song, its a trance track and I really want it to be as best as possible but I don't know what I can do with it. Leave a nice review and rate it :D.

dj.s - Emotions
dj.s - Emotions
dj.s - Emotions

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-11-29 14:28:43

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-11-29 19:45:22

need an experienced hardstyle maker to help me out making this >http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/
< better. I feel like im overcomplicating it, missing something and my kicks arent that good.

help would be GR8!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-12-15 23:32:22

Something I came up with the other day, I would like some advice on how to make this "beefier" if you know what I mean. Like, give it a more professional feel. I used FL Studio 8 XXL for this.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-12-16 10:40:01

Yeah, this thread should probably be closed. People aren't even reading the responses before posting something.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2009-12-17 11:14:49

This is a recent piece for me. A friend challenged me with a certain style, and I decided that combining elements of hip hop, rock, electronica, and such were appropriate. Tell me what you think.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2010-02-11 22:58:37

This is because it's not just a blatant advertisment, i do need a bit of help figuring out what to either add, or what. Read the discription ples =3

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2010-02-13 12:12:23

Reviewed Kirbyfemur's piece above me, so I guess I'm entitled to posting a WiP here, right?

It's Epic Classical by the way, so I expect praise :P.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2010-02-15 14:10:51

At 2/13/10 12:12 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: Reviewed Kirbyfemur's piece above me, so I guess I'm entitled to posting a WiP here, right?

It's Epic Classical by the way, so I expect praise :P.

7/10
Mostly for length. lol
Yes it does have that epic feel to it, but maybe a little too much? It feels like a lot of people are trying to write "Epic" classical pieces, but missing out on a lot of the subtleness of a lot of other kinds of classical types of songs.

at :15 one of the samples sounds like it ends to abruptly, and it feels like a hiccup when it goes with the other sounds that are being held out. After that i like the building of sounds with the snare starting up, but maybe come in with a single instrument playing a variation of the melody before bringing in the whole symphony.

Also the instruments carrying the melody sound like they're doing this weird thing of being just slightly out of sync with the other instruments.

It's nice, it has the epicness, but it needs way more substance in order to be a more listenable piece,I mean a song that can be heard multiple times and still be interesting, and able to heard different things with each listen, since most of the instruments are carrying the same melody/harmony.

I'll pm you this review just in case you don't get to see it in here =3

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2010-02-19 05:28:34

An updated version of the song, now with no synth pads, and a slightly better eq!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2010-02-20 20:40:19

theres the link. But i just need some ideas to make it better, this is just the intro and part of the beginning. Its no where near done yet.
so keep that in mind

i like pie ^^

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2010-02-20 22:53:00

At 2/20/10 08:40 PM, nothingmater wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 13007
theres the link. But i just need some ideas to make it better, this is just the intro and part of the beginning. Its no where near done yet.
so keep that in mind

Well it seems to get out of synch near the end of the intro. At 0:29 to be exact is where the synth strings get out of synch with the rhythm. You need to tighten that up by either changing a rhythm, aligning the synth strings in the beginning with the rhythm in the percussion better, or just changing what you've written.

Once the piano sort of sound and perc rhythms come in it sounds good, but you stopped right at about where a significant change needs to take place. Personally I could hear some very nice Santana sort of guitar work going in there. Something laid back, but with a lot of detail. Or you could repeat the section actually and throw in some nice vocal work over top of it the second time around.

You might want to do something really off the wall and change up the rhythm so it is slower and more pronounced. Then over top of that you could create some nifty chord progressions with the piano and then lay down some nasty electric guitar or synth melody lines.

They one thing that I'm positive of is that the next section should be fuller than the one you finished this WIP with. It should expand where you left off by adding new instruments, or making things a bit more deliberate in your approach. For example like this....

You subdivide the beat like this in 4/4 time...

1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a

You can hear where your rhythm is now landing on every single division of the beat. Every single syllable in this counting rhythm is accented. What you could do is this in the next section...

1 e and a 2 e and a3 e and a4 e and a

If I didn't screw up the bold type in this example then that rhythm should probably create a more elongated feel to the next section making it easier to fatten it up. By doing this it would make it really easy to lay down some nice chords in the piano in however you see fit, and then layer a melody line of whatever you choose over top of it.

Also as I often joke with my buddy IO you can add about 5,000 filter effects to white noise and the kiddies here on Newgrounds will hail you as a musical genius. So if you want to go the easy route just ignore what I said, throw one 10 layers of white noise, and then 5,000 filter effects all automated to the enth degree. You would be guaranteed front page if you did that. ;-)

Hope you find this helpful and best of luck.

-Gravey-

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2010-02-20 22:56:53

Sorry for the double post, but my bold type example above failed and I want to clarify it.

1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a

What I tried to do was emphasize...

Beat 1
Beat 2 - and
Beat 3 - e - a
Beat 4

Hopefully that makes sense. When I tried to bold them in my example above it failed. Sorry.

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2010-02-20 23:13:38

it helped a little, and i was able to contact the person who made the piano, and the opening sound. They say they might be able to help

i like pie ^^

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2010-05-22 16:04:07

So...

What is the difference between EQ, mixing, and mastering?

These are all terms I hear thrown about, but I have never known what they meant, really.

I use FL, and I twiddle around with filters, panning, and effects etc. Does that have anything to do with it?

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature