Jan. 12th, 2007 @ 05:06 PM
All right. I've been meaning to do this for a while, but the last time I tried, liljim was messing with the html tag conversion, so the posts that used to fit no longer did. Since then the post limit has been raised to allow for the extra characters used when converting <b> to <strong> and so on, so hopefully this will allow me to post the lists without getting errors.
First and foremost, I will NOT be updating this list. The simple fact is that I just don't have the time to do that - I'm really sorry about that, but I have no choice. The reasons for me recreating this topic are:
- The original AS: Main is no longer on the first page of search results for 'Main'.
- Several users have PM'd me asking whether the topic will ever be re-opened or recreated.
- I've seen quite a few people asking on the forums where the topic went to.
- Despite its disadvantages, AS: Main, thanks to those that contributed their time to write tutorials, will always be one that is worth referring Flash users to - whether they're looking for a 'replay button' code, or asking about advanced path-finding.
- I always intended to re-open it. I did mean to optimise it and make it more newb-friendly, but I just (still) haven't got round to it, thanks to full-time work, three kids, and the lack of inspiration as to how it could be made better, without scrimping on the vital content.
As before, please don't spam up the thread with shit. If you have an AS question which isn't answered by the tuts, start a separate topic, and be specific about your problem. The only people who should post in here are those who have written new tutorials. Unless someone else is prepared to take over updating the list, they won't be added to the main list, but that doesn't mean that they won't be read, if they're linked from here.
AS: Main was never intended as a cure-all for AS questions. The original idea was to help prevent Flash regs from having to type out the same thing ("How do I import sound?", "How do I make a preloader?", etc) over and over again. Use the links in combination with your own knowledge. Also, there's an extensive list of tutorials at the bottom of the list, which can answer pretty much everything the total Flash newb has to ask, including where to buy Flash, how to start off, etc, etc. Use that, as well as the actual AS: Tuts, when necessary.
As before, feel free to link to the first page of the thread in your sig (this list is the same as the final update of the original AS: Main) and/or link people to individual tuts - that's what the notepad version is for, you can post those directly into the body of your message.
Finally, once again, huge thanks to everyone who wrote, and will write, AS: topics. I don't know for sure how many people were helped by AS: Main, but if it's useful to even 1 in 100, then it's not a waste of your time or mine.