00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sdrogotime99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

3d Artists Over Here!!!

112,379 Views | 1,138 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-18 05:02:46

Final Zone from Sonic 1. It's not much to look at now but I'm still learning. (I hope I included the picture correctly. If not I'll try the img tag.)

3d Artists Over Here!!!

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-18 14:33:49

Hey JDS you on ZBC?

3d Artists Over Here!!!

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-18 15:44:43

At 5/18/08 02:33 PM, kylehj wrote: Hey JDS you on ZBC?

yeh my username is James Schmitt

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-19 02:28:50

At 5/8/08 12:29 PM, J-D-S wrote: quick update

Not that I'm anyone to criticize but the hat looks too soft and "plush" to me, if you know what I mean, and unrealistic in comparison with the guy.

The face, though; Photorealistic.

My only "doubt", per se, about your incredible works, is that all of them are gaunt and emaciated -- in almost every example, their muscular structures and tendons seem to nearly pop out of their skins, as if they're being strained to the the limit.

While this is very effective in certain dramatic circumstances (to show a great strain on the body, for example) it seems almost like it's a technique that's being overused. Perhaps this is a limitation of the program you're using; I wouldn't know as I've never been able to accomplish anything even remotely passable in terms of 3D art.

I just feel like the characters would coincide more closely with reality, if you would tone down the definition on the muscles & tendons in places like the neck and clavicle area.

But other than that, it would be an understatement to say I'm impressed.

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-19 08:12:59

Something im working on, not completed

3d Artists Over Here!!!

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-19 11:44:52

At 5/19/08 02:28 AM, Bolo wrote:
At 5/8/08 12:29 PM, J-D-S wrote: quick update
Not that I'm anyone to criticize but the hat looks too soft and "plush" to me, if you know what I mean, and unrealistic in comparison with the guy.

The face, though; Photorealistic.

My only "doubt", per se, about your incredible works, is that all of them are gaunt and emaciated -- in almost every example, their muscular structures and tendons seem to nearly pop out of their skins, as if they're being strained to the the limit.

While this is very effective in certain dramatic circumstances (to show a great strain on the body, for example) it seems almost like it's a technique that's being overused. Perhaps this is a limitation of the program you're using; I wouldn't know as I've never been able to accomplish anything even remotely passable in terms of 3D art.

I just feel like the characters would coincide more closely with reality, if you would tone down the definition on the muscles & tendons in places like the neck and clavicle area.

But other than that, it would be an understatement to say I'm impressed.

Thanks for the crit. The hat and sunglasses are basically placeholder right now, they have bad mesh construction and they're kind of playdohey - when I make a final image they will definitely be remade from scratch. For the most part I've just been relying on what I remember a human face, and body to be like, and typically that results in the emaciation and some overplayed areas that make it appear unrealistic, the best way to combat this is probably to try to make the model look like someone in particular. Normally this is where I stop with my models, but I really want to push this one and I don't care how long it takes.

Thanks for the comments - and it doesn't matter if you have any experience in 3D or not, artworks are made for the disspassionate observers, so their critiques are the most sought after.

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-19 12:51:04

Nice easy way for you to redo the hat would be a lo poly topology, i'd just go over the previous one you have.

Whacked a bit o hair on him.

3d Artists Over Here!!!

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-19 22:00:21

Gee, with all of the super-detailed human sculps running around this thread I'm starting to feel a little outgunned.... Well, that's not to say I don't put guns in my pics!

3d Artists Over Here!!!

Who are you?

My art thread.

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-20 04:49:39

Seriously! How can anyone compete with J-D-S and kylehj? That is awesome!

Here's another work in progress. Battletech mech, Sega Genesis version. Needs legs, I know.

3d Artists Over Here!!!

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-20 11:23:21

hey thanks EightBitDragon ama likin your mech look forward to seeing its progress.

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-20 13:46:40

Well, I am still kind of a noob at 3-D (esspecially texturing...) but mabye hopefully this model(it's not quite done but...) could prove something:

[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h 94/Killercore007/Mallisalmost.png[/IMG]

What do you think?

Warning, as I'm typing this, I have no clue how big the pic will be so I hope it won't stretch the forum. Let me know if it does so I can shrink it okay?

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-20 15:29:44

Huh? That's odd, I did an image tag but it didn't work....

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-20 16:07:37

At 5/20/08 04:49 AM, EightBitDragon wrote: Seriously! How can anyone compete with J-D-S and kylehj? That is awesome!

Here's another work in progress. Battletech mech, Sega Genesis version. Needs legs, I know.

Sweet battlemech, dude! I love the Timberwolf! I really like the missile pods the most.

Who are you?

My art thread.

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-21 02:49:33

Made two years ago in Swift3D V4.5. Uses characters from the Team Buddies game on PSX.

Doesn't look as good as I used to think it was.

3d Artists Over Here!!!

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-21 03:02:20

While I have remembered. Heres something a lot of you guys wouldn't have seen before. It was an mechanical engineering assignment. We had to model a device that had at least 3 components in Solidworks, which is an engineering 3D program. This picture is a combination of parts made by my partner and I assembled together, although you can mostly see his stuff because he did the top. If you can't tell, its a headphone case.

Really frustrating work since everything has to be measured to the millimeter and the whole program complains at you if there are any overlaps since it is an industry tool.

See, engineers can 3D too, it's just boring.

Some of the stuff is pretty intese though.

3d Artists Over Here!!!

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-23 03:27:37

At 5/21/08 03:02 AM, Ssilver7 wrote:

:: : Some of the stuff is pretty intese though.

Good ol' CAD type programs eh?

Oh and JDS I don't think theres much more you need to practice at with the modeling and sculpting aspect of a human body... Why don't you move on to really really advanced texturing and particle rendering (hair) oh yes and getting the skin bump mapping right... and sub-surface scattering, I think if you get as good with that stuff as you are now at sculpting you'll make some really really realistic people.

Forum sig? Whats that.. 3D art thread, My art thread

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-23 20:53:09

At 5/23/08 09:37 AM, HarraH wrote: This shit looks really hard :(

It's not really that hard, I just started to learn Cinema 4d (the program that I've been using, not everybody else) just this year.

The semester just wrapped up, but I'm still fideling. If you're interested I'd recommend you try it.

3d Artists Over Here!!!

Who are you?

My art thread.

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-24 00:40:08

At 5/23/08 03:27 AM, Krayon wrote:
Why don't you move on to really really advanced texturing and particle rendering (hair) oh yes and getting the skin bump mapping right... and sub-surface scattering, I think if you get as good with that stuff as you are now at sculpting you'll make some really really realistic people.

precisely what I'm working on right now

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-27 15:09:18

still struggling with the modelling - he still gives a fake vibe to me

3d Artists Over Here!!!

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-27 16:52:48

At 5/27/08 03:09 PM, J-D-S wrote: still struggling with the modelling - he still gives a fake vibe to me

The only thing I'd change is his hair. It looks a little too thin to me. Other than that he looks great!

I managed to find time today to make feet for the mech. He's still far from complete.

3d Artists Over Here!!!

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-27 17:02:07

At 5/27/08 04:52 PM, EightBitDragon wrote: I managed to find time today to make feet for the mech. He's still far from complete.

gotta ask, what do you use for the shader? just that kinda... clay look.

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-27 17:46:51

At 5/27/08 05:02 PM, kernalphage wrote:
At 5/27/08 04:52 PM, EightBitDragon wrote: I managed to find time today to make feet for the mech. He's still far from complete.
gotta ask, what do you use for the shader? just that kinda... clay look.

Just the generic light tracer in the render options, along with a 'skylight' object in the scene.

Your software may be different, but see if you have a skylight in the lights objects. If you don't have one, or advanced lighting options, try using an omni light and turn down gloss/specular/shine for your textures. If you're serious about clay rendering or lighting in general, try finding a plugin for your software. A lighting plugin will have more options and will yield much better results.

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-27 18:07:09

Here's my sad attempt at 3D. I only started like a week ago, and it's been more of my hobby, doing it whenever I have some free time... I'm also using Cinema 4D for 3D. I also have a question for raveninskyprime (I think I spelled it right). How do you make the objects "smooth?" I remember 3DS Max having a turbosmooth tool, but so far I've found no equivalent in Cinema 4D. Anyways, here's my "plant," if you can call it that...

3d Artists Over Here!!!

This account is no longer active. Let this signature serve as the only existing tribute to this account's former greatness.

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-28 02:02:59

At 12/6/07 11:59 AM, link-011 wrote: I was making this honda civic EX for a game.

That's really good. How far along is your game?

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-28 21:44:55

More stuff from Sonic 1. I made these about two years ago, I just merged them together today to get a nice render. And yes, the blue Roller badnik does ball up. lol

3d Artists Over Here!!!

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-30 13:36:49

I liked that animation. I would just add some more camera angles showing the take off of the thing.

Who are you?

My art thread.

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-30 14:46:43

I made this in my HS Drafting class. I had to use Autodesk VIZ, but we're getting MAX next year :D (Is it because Autodesk stopped making VIZ?)

3d Artists Over Here!!!

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-30 15:19:44

At 5/29/08 11:24 PM, hereforrock wrote: Well, I feel kind of dumb posting here because I suck with 3D, but I'm learning, and I love doing it, and that's what matters. This is my most recent test thing. I used Lightwave 9.5 to make this. I just figured out how to use shadows and reflectivity. This turned out a lot slower than I intended, but I didn't really feel like waiting for another hour and a half for my crappy laptop to render it again. Tips? Pointers? Anything? :D

REMEMBER. I'm still learning.

I'm not familiar with LightWave 3D, but I'm sure it must have a way to reduce the samples of the reflections and shadows. This would reduce the rendering time substantially. From the distance of the camera in your animation however, you could even get away with a fake shadow instead of rendering a real one, or at least temporarily. All that detail means nothing when its far away, so why render it right?

Oh and by fake shadow, I mean a small plane (square) with a gradient. Lots of old 3D videogames (namely Playstation 1) used this method for making shadows underneath characters/objects. It works okay from a distance, but use rendered shadows when the camera is up close.

At 5/30/08 02:46 PM, Genshiken wrote: I made this in my HS Drafting class. I had to use Autodesk VIZ, but we're getting MAX next year :D (Is it because Autodesk stopped making VIZ?)

VIZ still looks like good software, but why would your drafting class use 3ds Max? Seems like VIZ would have more tools for making structures and precise measurements. While Max has more tools for animation and effects.

And sorry if I messed up the quotes, got to learn how to do it some time. =p

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-05-30 16:23:02

At 5/30/08 03:19 PM, EightBitDragon wrote:

ning.

VIZ still looks like good software, but why would your drafting class use 3ds Max? Seems like VIZ would have more tools for making structures and precise measurements. While Max has more tools for animation and effects.

We only used VIZ for this project, because next year people taking the next class are making a walkthrough of the house that we made. For precise measurements we use AutoCAD, which I can't stand because it wasn't built for 3D modeling...

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Artists Over Here!!! 2008-06-01 14:35:27

The Raven fighter is no longer used for combat missions, as it's has been replaced by the Tri Wing fighter. However, it is still used for training of new pilots in the art of space combat.

3d Artists Over Here!!!

Who are you?

My art thread.

BBS Signature