00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Limaou just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Doctor Who Crew

404,781 Views | 6,204 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-04-07 12:12:48

See the BBC tweeting MASSIVE spoilers on their official feed?

Not sure how I feel about it. Ruined the surprise, but also raised my interest in the coming series above the zero it was at before.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-04-08 21:04:54

At 4/7/17 12:12 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: Not sure how I feel about it. Ruined the surprise, but also raised my interest in the coming series above the zero it was at before.

In case people here don't want to be SPOILED, I won't go into detail on what the reveal was either, but I will say that my interest levels have gone from "100% indifference" to "morbid curiosity".

Might keep up with this series just for the sake of having something to complain about.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-05-08 12:50:56

Temporarily forgot about Doctor Who. Caught up last night, hadn't seen anything since series 9. Furthest I've been behind in 7 years.

I don't hate Bill. The previews didn't give me high hopes, but I'm enjoying her quite a bit so far. Stories have been adequate and they've actually been scared of the monsters instead of using them as a platform for inappropriately timed jokes, which is always welcome.

I was having a great time enjoying my favorite sci-fi show until that vault thing came up. Unless Beevers comes back, I'd like some more time off from The Master. Also I must be getting old because I don't remember where that bald robot dude came from. Did I miss out on a Christmas special that he appeared in or something?

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-05-08 13:29:10

At 5/8/17 12:50 PM, Oolaph wrote: Temporarily forgot about Doctor Who. Caught up last night, hadn't seen anything since series 9. Furthest I've been behind in 7 years.

I don't hate Bill. The previews didn't give me high hopes, but I'm enjoying her quite a bit so far. Stories have been adequate and they've actually been scared of the monsters instead of using them as a platform for inappropriately timed jokes, which is always welcome.

Yeah, I think Bill is fine so far.

I was having a great time enjoying my favorite sci-fi show until that vault thing came up. Unless Beevers comes back, I'd like some more time off from The Master.

I think Charles Dance or Bill Night or Anthony Head would make a great Master.

Also I must be getting old because I don't remember where that bald robot dude came from. Did I miss out on a Christmas special that he appeared in or something?

Yes, he was introduced in the Christmas special before the most recent one, the Husbands of River Song, presumably River's final episode. He worked for her.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-05-09 13:42:52

I haven't seen any Doctor Who since the David Tennant days but I've been watching this and enjoyed every episode so far.

Bill seems like a decent enough companion so far, although I can't really compare her with many others. Someone already mentioned that the BBC has diversity quotas, but initially I was a bit worried it was coming across as too forced. A non-white lesbian with a traditionally male name? Just felt like it was pushing a bit too hard at first. Thankfully it felt like less of an issue after the first episode.

When I was watching episode 4 I spent ages trying to think where I'd seen the landlord actor before and then I realised it's Poirot! Was also a bit surprised to see Matt Lucas. I just can't help but think of Little Britain whenever I see him.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-05-12 00:34:45

I have really enjoyed this season. I sort of like the soft reboot they're doing with Billie as a new companion. All of the heavy melodrama that came with Amy and Clara wasn't my jam.

Also I have really liked the banter between Billie and The Doctor. Some of the best was in arguably the weakest episode (Smile I think? The emoji robots).

I've seen the christmas special and I'm still not entirely sure what the deal with the robot guy is. I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that The Master is behind that door.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic byTemplate88 ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-05-31 16:05:45

At 5/12/17 12:34 AM, Malachy wrote:

Also I have really liked the banter between Billie and The Doctor. Some of the best was in arguably the weakest episode (Smile I think? The emoji robots).

I'm really liking her. It's no secret I hated Clara so it's possible I like her more in comparison. But she really does embody what a good companion should be. She's smart and capable but still slightly in awe of the immortal God she's tooling around with. You have to be human to be a humanizing factor, you fucking plot device is a skirt. I digress.
I also like that her being a lesbian is incidental. It's not treated as some male gaze fantasy or as tokenism. She goes in dates with women, but that's all they do with it. Like she's a person with a love life and other stuff.

I've seen the christmas special and I'm still not entirely sure what the deal with the robot guy is. I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that The Master is behind that door.

You would definitely seem to be right at this point

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-06-02 01:33:14

At 5/31/17 04:05 PM, stafffighter wrote: I'm really liking her. It's no secret I hated Clara so it's possible I like her more in comparison. But she really does embody what a good companion should be. She's smart and capable but still slightly in awe of the immortal God she's tooling around with. You have to be human to be a humanizing factor, you fucking plot device is a skirt. I digress.

What I like is that they aren't assigning all this crazy importance to a character who will likely be written out in just a few years. All this "you're the doctor-donna" "impossible girl" and whatever it was they did with Amy - yeah it adds significance to the role and gravity to their character but it's disingenuous when in only a couple of years there is no more mention of them. I believe that the show would be far better served to build organic and believable connections between the Doctor and his companions like they are doing with Billie - although the last episode did start to add random importance to her. If a character is going to be killed off I want the emotional experience to be genuine and not some forced 'omg she was so important!"

You would definitely seem to be right at this point

***Spoiler Warning??***

well now I know I'm right. and they did explain nardol. I was pretty disappointed that they are still writing River Song into the show somehow.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-06-04 12:55:39

I really liked how they ended last nights episode. Yes it gave her importance, but not importance that anyone couldn't have.
My buddy aviewaskewed said it best, it's like what they tried to do with Clara not never got right.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-06-05 20:14:10

Watched the past three episodes in a row last night to get caught back up. Bill is still enjoyable. Capaldi is still fantastic. Stories are still fun.

It feels good to like my favorite show again.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-06-06 12:15:42

At 6/5/17 08:14 PM, Oolaph wrote: It feels good to like my favorite show again.

As someone who has never been a regular/current Doctor Who viewer, I've been watching this series every week as it's released and been really enjoying it. Can't think of an episode yet that I didn't enjoy.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-06-17 23:01:08

More and more I want to clockwork orange Steven Moffatt in front of these episodes and scream "THIS IS WHAT CLARA SHOULD HAVE BEEN"

When science fiction is done right it says something about society. When done very right it doesn't beat you over the head with it. After the warning I'm gonna talk about my favorite scene

Non Plot Affecting Spoilers:

I really liked the bit where the Roman solider was flirting with Bill. It managed to be the exact opposite of where a hack writer would have taken it. They didn't give you the "By the way, I'm a lesbian" moment and then have the men folk confused. Instead they had him say he likes both but won't judge her for being less open minded.

This is very smart for two reasons. First of all it denies defining Bill by her sexuality, something they've done very well with. Secondly, in a moment where you're ready to be condescending to the olden folk he pretty much turns it around on her. He sees her as limited but assures her it's ok in that way you only bother to if you're really saying it's not. Not only does it counteract bias but it is historically accurate. From what we know Romans were all about fucking whoever made you happy.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-06-25 16:40:32

Watched all of the season thus far today.

I liked the one with the evil puddle and the latest one. The one with the emoticon robots and the one with the fish monster under the lake were dire. Rest just pretty bland.

Bill not nearly as irritating as the preview clip they put out of her, and even Matt Lucas is tolerable.

Not as bad as I was expecting.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-07-01 14:37:24

Was that ending meant to be taking place during The Tenth Planet then? Great finale regardless.

David Bradley makes for a good Hartnell. Captures more of the character than Richard Hurndall did. No issues with this recasting, he was really good in An Adventure in Time and Space.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-07-03 16:11:14

I think my favorite line of the finale was one that came on very early.

"You should know by now that if you're winning and I'm in the room then you're missing something."

That's the kind of bluster that can easily fall flat. With Capelli's commanding performance you believe it.

Also believable, the Master flirting with themselves. I have no idea how to structure that sentence. That could have been cheap cringe humor but again, the performances sell it.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-07-12 02:33:49

so when is BBC America gonna show new episodes, just finished watching the season finale earlier today

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-07-12 02:46:05

At 7/12/17 02:33 AM, Dangerous-D wrote: so when is BBC America gonna show new episodes, just finished watching the season finale earlier today

The next episode will be Christmas, then a bit longer for the next season to air - maybe longer with a new show runner and new Doctor

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-07-12 02:56:16

At 7/12/17 02:46 AM, Malachy wrote:
At 7/12/17 02:33 AM, Dangerous-D wrote: so when is BBC America gonna show new episodes, just finished watching the season finale earlier today
The next episode will be Christmas, then a bit longer for the next season to air - maybe longer with a new show runner and new Doctor

gotta wait about 5 months then

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-07-16 12:54:11

https://youtu.be/q1IczjLYCIM

Interesting choice of new doctor. Proven acting chops without being a distracting name. The right age to be both youthful and a grownup. The show runner seems to be more into telling stories than making a point. I'm looking forward to this.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-07-16 15:47:26

At 7/16/17 12:54 PM, stafffighter wrote: https://youtu.be/q1IczjLYCIM

Interesting choice of new doctor. Proven acting chops without being a distracting name. The right age to be both youthful and a grownup. The show runner seems to be more into telling stories than making a point. I'm looking forward to this.

She was ace in Attack the Block.

Great choice. Still not sure about Chibnall, though. Everything he's wrote so far has been shite.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-07-16 17:54:27

Finished series 10. Ice Warrior and Roman episodes were forgettable & effortless filler, I can barely remember them and I only watched them this week. Series finale was fun for the most part until the very end. Bill almost had an interesting and dramatic ending, but I guess that wasn't "surprising" enough for Moffat so he had to do a bullshit callback to make a happy ending where Bill completely abandons her friends without a second thought. Simms was a blast to watch though, huge improvement from what he had to work with from RTD. Shockingly enough, he made the episodes for me.

Regarding the new Doctor: I'm not a against the idea of a female Doctor, but I think the timing is very poor. If they had done this years earlier it would have been much more exciting and surprising. At this point with all the social pressure and drama about gender politics swirling around this seems forced and I'm afraid it may even distract from the actual character if not handled extremely carefully. I'm sure she'll do a great job, but I just hope the outside world doesn't interfere with people's enjoyment of the actual content of the show.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-07-18 03:13:00

At 7/17/17 02:29 PM, Jurornumber3 wrote: Ehhh...

I feel like things such as the next Doctor being a woman wouldn't be nearly as contentious if these columnists didn't start putting out articles saying, "Women are taking the toys you so jealously guarded away and making you share. Deal with it, mysoginerds!"

everyone on facebook and youtube are having a field day with this

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-08-22 12:07:58

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/rumor-of-the-day-doctor-who’s-next-companion-has-already-been-hired-0

This worries me. Maybe I'm just so used to Moffats sledgehammer gender politics but I see a lot of "Hello, older male. You must be the one in charge!" Jokes.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-08-22 15:53:55

At 8/22/17 12:07 PM, stafffighter wrote: This worries me. Maybe I'm just so used to Moffats sledgehammer gender politics but I see a lot of "Hello, older male. You must be the one in charge!" Jokes.

I'm all for a cast made entirely of game show hosts.

Have her regenerate into Jim Bowen in the first episode. Get Roy Walker in as The Master. Really go all in.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-10-06 07:21:58

A female Dr who

That might be a good thing bringing more female inspiration and such.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-10-15 16:06:11 (edited 2017-10-15 16:06:24)

Decided to jump on the big home theater PC deal and install Plex.

Turns out getting Doctor Who to work with the database is a bit of a nightmare when you've already used your own naming conventions on all 800+ episodes of the show.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2017-12-26 00:23:59

Without spoilers, I think this was a very strong transition from one doctor to the next. They used the first doctor very well, if a little predictably.

Spoilers incoming

Moffat just couldn't say goodbye without sucking off Clara one more time. The memory of her is why memory is important? And when she says it was insulting he forgot her, she drugged him and made that happen. But no, nothing is Claras fault. I could even write that off as the Doctor having rose colored memories of her if Moffat himself didn't have such a record of God modding her.

I felt like making the first doctor so sexist was a bit of an easy joke, but I'm sure there are clips that would justify it.

I liked that the question of memories and identities wasn't really answered. That's something we should be able to ponder.

The ending speech was very strong. One compliment I can give Moffat is that he's very good at creating moments.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2018-01-05 06:45:12

So did the new DR Who series ever take off? how was it with the lady in there does she have a love interest??

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2018-01-05 16:19:55

At 1/5/18 06:45 AM, XwaynecoltX wrote: So did the new DR Who series ever take off? how was it with the lady in there does she have a love interest??

~X~

I think that starts sometime in like autumn.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2018-01-07 00:13:24

At 1/5/18 04:19 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I think that starts sometime in like autumn.

ok I didn't know I figured it was running already with all the comercials and stuff.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

BBS Signature