00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

stupidvampire just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Martial Arts Club

424,440 Views | 9,144 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-14 14:38:56

I 'm to this club and I love it!! Please let me be in this club!

Martial Arts Club

I don't know why I'm still here

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-14 14:49:34

Congradulations ChineseGothKid! Could you describe the test a bit? How long, how hard, how many people, stuff like that :)

--------------

You know I've actually gotten some interesting ideas from video games, Tekken mostly. And the guy who does Capeoria in Tekken (at least the version that I played, Tekken 3 mabye?, it's been so long) is Eddie, Eddie was one of my favorites but I was always best with the Tae Kwon Do guy...

Anyway, I think that any from of entertainment in where martial arts are depicted can be usefull, if for no other rason but to keep you thinking. My instructor is currently attempting to pick up some flashy spear techniques for a tounament version of a spear kata from a Jet Lee movie. I haven't seen it but the way he describes it I can't wait, mostly because I'll probably be the first one he teaches them to :)

-------------

Well, this week I may be a little bit more absent than normal, a few of the instructors are going on vacation which means that those of us who aren't are filling in for them (and there's really only two of us that have the time to fill in). So instead of just three days of teaching it will be at least four if not five. Also I'm going to have to start earlier which means more classes which means more money as I get payed by the class :)

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I just thought you all should know :)

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-14 14:57:51

To: DSM-

Once again, sorry if you feel excluded. But I still feel that it's an efficent way of responding to each individual member's comments. For example, I think everyone responded to the topic about "Knees." If I posted, "Regarding Knees," is each individual member going to want to hunt through that entire section of the post, just to see if their views on the topic were brought up?......... And thereby post a response?

I think something like that would cause more frustration. Also, I've never heard a single complaint out of the other members (when they first joined the club) that they felt excluded from the topics that were being discussed, when I broke down my posts to individual members. But then again, that's how all forums work. When you're new, you don't know the Regulars, you don't know anything about their personalities. It takes time. When you've settled in, after awhile, you feel more comfortable with jumping into a discussion. You know who you can joke around with, and who is more likely to get instantly offended. For example, you can joke around with ShitOnAStick about any sexual topic. But you better watch your Ps & Qs around TheShrike, unless you're a close buddy of his. Both are Mods, one is a bit less likely to ban you for having THAT kind of "fun."

It takes time........ I think the way I've been posting is just fine, and that's the way I'm going to continue to post.

I like the way you think....... especially about marriage. Best advice about marriage came from Donald Trump, "Always have a pre-nup!" I'd just like to add, "Make sure the future Mrs. has her own attorney to consult, before she signs. Otherwise the pre-nup could be ruled invalid!"

There's nothing wrong with being self taught........ As long as you do it the way f0x did; with a strong base in actually having been taught by real Instructors. R.B.S.D.'s somewhat nomadic nature makes learning from videos and DVDs a must! But practioners keep in mind that those are excellent ways to SUPPLIMENT their training. It shouldn't be what they do "instead of." Still, it can sometimes be very tough to get good training. If there isn't a good Instructor near you, the tapes, books, and DVDs are definitely better than nothing. As for video games....... let's keep in mind they're made for the purpose of being a form of entertainment. Some do a better job than others of representing martial arts. But that's like saying it hurts more getting hit by a ball of tissue paper, than a feather.

Oh yeah......... aiming & shooting a gun in real Life is quite different than using joysticks!

Your own sweat soaking into your eyes, (that one really fucks up your aim), getting hit in the face with flying (HOT!) brass, clearing jams (especially with a .22 caliber automatic)........... The hot brass in the face is definitely the most annoying.

Hey! Fancy seeing you here. Glad you joined the car club after it was revived. Want to be a member here too? If so, Welcome! :)

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-14 22:51:33

At 8/14/06 01:17 AM, fremen13 wrote:

You also can't learn how to out-shoot Marines from a video game also :)

Well no, but you can easily undergo one of the training procedures that soldiars go through. They actualy play AA(America's Army) to give them a sense of what real-life battle would be like(considering that the game is very life like).

Anyway, back to martial arts(im suprised that i started this video game topic....never done something like that).

like i have said before, i am a very defensive person.....but i would like to become a deoffensive person(awesome combo of the words defense and offense)......any tips on how to brea,k a persons defenses by throwing out a few punches here and there?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-15 01:20:30

At 8/14/06 10:51 PM, Dark_orchestra wrote:

like i have said before, i am a very defensive person.....but i would like to become a deoffensive person(awesome combo of the words defense and offense)......any tips on how to brea,k a persons defenses by throwing out a few punches here and there?

The easiest thing to say is practice in your dojo. Try doing what is called three-step-sparring. It simpley goes like this. You do three techniques, and then your partner does three techniques. While they are doing these techniques you block them as you would in a fight but with less power and more concentration on your actions. By doing this it will teach you how to advance on somebody while they are blocking you and then how to retreat without running but doing more of a suffle, so you will learn to black. And remember, above all else, that defense is a good thing, without defense you will lose, no questions asked. So don't lose that while you are learning.

Also, when you are sparring at a normal pace try to attack the person before they can attack you. Learning how to quote unquote "come out of the box" is very important, depending on the length of your start line. If you are doing a three foot seperation you have to learn how to come out of the box quickly because the other person will take advantage of your defensive style. But if you have a six foot start line you have to learn how to "fight your way threw the ring"

This means, you have to get over to the other person with a long range technique and know how to back off afterwards, out of rang of the other person but close enough to throw another attack. the best way to learn this is to practice such things as suffle in roundhouses, backkicks, sidekicks, etc. or if you aren't much of a Tae Kwon Do person learn how to do jumping backfist, hammerfist, or multipurpose fisting (moving your fist really quick without intension of hitting on the fist punch-a form of judo/kenpo)

so in the long run i would say it all relys on you practicing techniques and styles you normally wouldn't. Don't ask to learn, attempt to learn. If you try to ajust your style you will see more results, and remember, sparring in your dojo is the time to try new techniques. Don't wait until you are in a terniment or fighting on the streets to try them. Practice with your classmates or friends, it is in this enviroment that we learn, it is in the other that we apply.

with that said, i think i have rambled enough but i enjoy sparring and have discovered a lot of different things from many styles. If you ever see me fight you will be able to pick out the number of different martial arts i have combined to come up with my comfortable and formidable style of fighting.

hope that helps!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-15 02:25:46

About self-taught martial arts: I am about 1/3 self taught. The, to steal Mono's words, nomadic nature of Systema is such that supplementary education and expirimentation is unmeasurably beneficial. I lie in bed at night sometimes going through fight scenarios in my head and make things up, then try them the next day. More often than not they will fail miserably, but every now and then i'll find something worth keeping.

Trying new and often idiotic things in spars isn't bad. The point of a spar isn't always to win, but to try things and expiriment. This is how I am partially self taught, not by reading a book and thinking I am a grandmaster.

Dark: Inuma gave you a great technique. When you spar with somebody have them (almost the same thing as what Inuma said) attack you for 3-5 seconds, then you take your turn to attack them for 3-5 seconds, and just keep doing this for a while. This really helps you learn both offense and defense.

About addressing individuals in posts: I usually address the topic at hand if my post is about the topic, or a person if I am addressing them directly. I can see how a new member might feel excluded by this, but simply encouraging them to jump in will end that.

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...

MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...

Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-15 11:10:20

At 8/15/06 02:25 AM, -Lagerkapo- wrote: About addressing individuals in posts: I usually address the topic at hand if my post is about the topic, or a person if I am addressing them directly. I can see how a new member might feel excluded by this, but simply encouraging them to jump in will end that.

What the fuck?! Shyness on an internet forum?!?! :-/

*Holds up Big-Ass sign*

"JUMP IN!!! ......... Please."

Fuck, Can't make it more obvious than that.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-15 16:25:45

At 8/15/06 11:10 AM, Monocrom wrote:
At 8/15/06 02:25 AM, -Lagerkapo- wrote: About addressing individuals in posts: I usually address the topic at hand if my post is about the topic, or a person if I am addressing them directly. I can see how a new member might feel excluded by this, but simply encouraging them to jump in will end that.

*Holds up Big-Ass sign*

I think monocrom needs to chill for a second. But yeah I understand, when I joined I just kind of jumped in on whatever topics I saw, I voiced an opinion and then virtually became ignored or excepted, one of the two. I think that is how it goes for most forums. You get in, wherever the people are, and you just start talking, either they ignore you or they start to ask you questions and includ you. Most of the time in MAC you guys just start including the people, it is up to them wheter or not they take the insative and start to talk to us. As soon as they do that, they will fit into the post and conversations on their own.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-15 17:04:16

At 8/15/06 11:10 AM, Monocrom wrote:

*Holds up Big-Ass sign*

WTF?!

I'm gone for one day and mono starts holding up obscene signs? You guys really do need me.... (jk)

NGMAC

NG Naruto RP Crew

PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-15 18:13:35

At 8/15/06 11:10 AM, Monocrom wrote: What the fuck?! Shyness on an internet forum?!?! :-/

*Holds up Big-Ass sign*

I think he was being playful.

I tried to talk about MA in this post, but had nothing new to say.

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...

MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...

Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-15 19:56:55

ditto

I made my first non-blammed Flash!!1

NGMAC

NG Naruto RP Crew

PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-15 21:59:16

At 8/15/06 07:56 PM, fremen13 wrote: ditto

Did it have something to do with clockday?

By the way, Happy Clock Day, and I think strawberryclock is laughing his ass off somewhere because of the power he holds by creating the worst flash ever.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-15 22:02:40

At 8/15/06 09:59 PM, InumaAsahiDe wrote:
At 8/15/06 07:56 PM, fremen13 wrote: ditto

Did it have something to do with clockday?

By the way, Happy Clock Day, and I think strawberryclock is laughing his ass off somewhere because of the power he holds by creating the worst flash ever.

No, but I guess that it helped that I posted it today.

I agree with you. Strawberry clock is one lucky bastard.

NGMAC

NG Naruto RP Crew

PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-15 23:36:25

ive been boxing for over a year and am competing and my coach is trying to find me a match now thats near my weight.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 02:04:19

Urmon-

Sweet...a boxer. You're welcome to join the MAC.

Onizero-

You are also welcome to join. All you need is a serious interest in martial arts. Can you tell us a bit more about yourself?

Mono-

Prenups can be broken. Oh boy can they be broken! I dont care how good your attorney is.

Somewhat ontopic-
I finally get to train again this weekend. I hope we do more cane or gun defenses. Work and school have been hell so I hope to enjoy lots of pain on Saturday. :D

Heres a fun link for you guys. Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://amfedjujitsu.com/new_page_7.htm

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 11:57:18

To: Tom-

Yup, I was in a playful mood. Can't be serious all the time. ;)

Congrats on getting a flash through the Portal. But you forgot 2 things:

1) Link please.
2) Let us know when you're going to submit something to the Portal.

I won't automatically vote 5, just because you made it. But if it's good, you'll get a good score from me.

Thanks for letting me know I did the right thing....... by not marrying! (I honestly don't know whether to include a sarcastic smiley face, or a sad one).

If a guy has you on your back, with a handgun pointed down at you; jam your thumb behind the trigger itself. (Yeah, it's not easy to pull off, and when he pulls that trigger he's going to crush your thumb...... but that handgun is NOT going off. So, you'll be alive! In horrible pain, but alive). As for the pain, I have a funny feeling you can take it. ;)

Thanks for the informative link........ The nice thing about R.B.S.D. is that you bring your own religion with you, and the Instructor isn't going to try to replace it with what he believes in.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 14:04:06

At 8/15/06 11:36 PM, U_R_M_O_M wrote: ive been boxing for over a year and am competing and my coach is trying to find me a match now thats near my weight.

Well if you would like to join you are welcome :)

----------

Ok, I have a problem that requires a responce by tonight as I have to decide by thursday afternoon and I will be gone all thursday until about 10:00pm. I just finished learning a spear form now the time has come to decide what to learn next, I have two choices, 1) an open handed Kung Fu form called Tam Tui, or 2) a double escrima stick form known as American kenpo's long seven. I have already learned two weapons forms this belt but only one open handed form. I want to learn how to use escrima sticks but I have wanted to learn Tam Tui or quite some time now. I can only learn one this belt, then I have to wait quite some time before getting my next belt and learning the second. So my question is which one would you choose and why? I'm just not sure, I considered flipping a coin but then realized that I have a whole club of people I could ask :)

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I just thought you all should know :)

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 18:03:49

Mono: Its in my prifile (well, the beta version is)

Thunder bolt: I suggest the Kung fu form. It matters what you have less experience learning, if you already know 5 kung fu forms, but don't have any escreema stick forms, then go for the escreema sticks. A good martial artist is well-rounded.

NGMAC

NG Naruto RP Crew

PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 20:02:14

At 8/15/06 07:56 PM, fremen13 wrote: I made my first non-blammed Flash!!1

Im really sorry dude, but i have to say in all honesty that it kind fo....sucked a bit.

BUT IN YOUR DEFENSE!!!!!!!

I do understand its your first try, so its okay considering that, and its better than more than half the crap i see in the "Under Judgement" section of the portal.

Ill be sure to send a link as soon as any of the flashes i make DONT get blammed.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 20:04:11

Sorry for the double post, but i forgot to tell fremen13 to "keep on trying" and such. so.....keep on trying ;)

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 20:19:38

lol.

I guess I got lucky, since I posted it on Clock day.

1162 Entries submitted
114 Entries Deleted

THose are the clock day stats. It was a great day for all Flash artists.

Also, I finished Black and Blue, so swing by the flash portal to check it out.

ON a MA note:

2nd degree black belt test on 9/9/06

YAY!

NGMAC

NG Naruto RP Crew

PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 20:50:01

I am in Tae-Qwon-Do rigt now and i am a red belt. 2 more belts to go till black belt! (red-black belt, then Black belt! ZOMG! speacking of karate i g2g there soon. it's 5:49 PM where i live.

Lars Ulrich - Badass.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 21:11:34

Welcome.

I guess you live in or near California then? (State-Wise)

My old karate school used a belt sytem like that, but my new one has no red or red-black belts.
Its interesting to note the differences in the belt ranks between schools and styles.

NGMAC

NG Naruto RP Crew

PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 21:20:32

To Joshy:

Welcome to the club. Ya i remember right before i got my black belt how exciting it gets those couple of belts before. YOu just want it to be like a couple months from then so you can earn it.

To Thunderbolt legion about what weapons to do:

Well escreama is kali and well i love that fucking style. And it doesnt just focus around sticks. It could knives, swords, feather dusters, anything. The sticks are just a basic medium in a sense.

About the way people make post.

Again i dont care if you do it or not i'm just recommending it. People tend to get ignored or feel excluded when they see that as others have said. You dont have to do it, i know a couple of members are doing it now, and i know some dont want to do it which is fine. Do whatever you want.

So anyways i got a question for you all. It comes up every once in a while but since we have pretty much different members from the last time here it is.

Does anyone plan to open up their own school one day, or teach, or do classes at a YMCA or something.

I plan to open my own school myself and hope to do classes outside of my school for less needy people and all that good shit.

This is how I kick your ass in real life. Martial Arts Club

And this is how I kick your ass in video games Super Smash Bros. Club

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 21:28:41

At 8/16/06 09:20 PM, dsmking wrote:
Does anyone plan to open up their own school one day, or teach, or do classes at a YMCA or something.

I cant afford to open my own school...but teaching may be in my future...depends on how the next 5 years of my live go...

I've taught before, just not on the payroll or staff, just fellow student teaching other students...it's challenging sometimes, especially with the kids...but you definately learn a lot about yourself...

well, like, you couldn't, like, find it because, like, you're dumb, god

Follow me on twitter :3

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 22:29:14

Joshy-

Welcome to the MAC! LOL. I remember at my old school not many people would stay after they hit red belt. While I was there we had a phase of students that got to red belt and didnt care much after that so they quit. I thought it was a waste of time to go for that long and not stick it out for black belt. My little bro and I were the first people in years to make it to brown belt. At our school our belt system went white, yellow, orange, green, purple, blue, red, brown, cho dan bo, and black belt. I liked it better in the old days where it went straight from green to red. At the new school that Im at my instructor does it the old way. His philosophy is that were not here for pretty colors on our waist. Funny guy. Train hard!

About future MA career-

I like kids, but only certain ones, others piss me off. I dont want the responsibility of having my own school or having to teach people I dont like. I love to teach so if anything I'll have my own private dojang with people I work with by invitation only. My Sifu did it that way and it was a great idea. I like to work with people that either have a serious interest in learning my style, or people that have already been doing martial arts for years that are just interested in getting a more well rounded knowledge base. I think that in order to actually know a technique you have to know it inside and out. Being able to break something down and make someone else be able to understand the concept is a deeper way of knowing the technique. Any one can do the techniques, but teaching it is totally different. I like to train everything, teaching is another form of training.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 22:43:51

Sorry about the double but I forgot to include something in my previous post. WTF is clock day?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 23:08:06

joshylikes2smash:
Good for you! If you would like to join you are welcome :)

At 8/16/06 10:43 PM, Satanic_Samurai wrote: Sorry about the double but I forgot to include something in my previous post. WTF is clock day?

Your on Newgrounds and you've never heard of clock day??? August 15th of 2001 was the day that an animater known for crappy flashes who called himself strawberryclock submitted 'B'. It gained a following of other crappy animators who would call themselves the clock crew and every 8/15 they celibrate 'clock day'.

I'm not a big fan of clocks but seeing as though I got about 700 BP points, I think I'm a fan of clock day :)

---------

Future martial arts career:
I have considered starting my own school but the franchise fee is quite a bit not to mention all the other costs. I'm already teaching and making a little money doing it but I still haven't decided if it's what I want to do for the rest of my life. But teaching karate = happy career choice if nothing else works out.

---------

Ok, so:
The Kung Fu form: 1
The escreama stick form: 1

Come on guys, I need more input, doesn't anyone else have a comment? Which should I do???????????

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 23:32:32

At 8/16/06 11:08 PM, ThunderboltLegion wrote: I'm a big fan of clocks, I think I'm a fan of cock day :)

Sorry, i had to.

BTW, im not saying you like cocks, so dont jump down my throught. I just cant stand clocks, so therefor, i always call them 'cocks'. Just figured id get that out of the way.

On a MA related note....one time at school i was wearing my school uniform(minus the pants and gii top.....just the shirt), and this kid walks up and says "i know martial arts too.....i take classes for a martial arts called 'the art of kicking your ass'!!!" because he is a faggot.

I wanted to kick that kid in the face so bad that day.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-08-16 23:40:15

LOL. Cock day. Heh. Yeah, Ive seen a few of the clock day flashes, I didnt think they were anything special. I did not know about clock day. Interesting....

I vote Escrima! Basically for the same reasons as DSM.