00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

soniccrackers23 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NGADM 2023 Group Stage

5,109 Views | 119 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 19:45:04

Welcome to the Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch Group Stage 2023! :D

What’s a Group Stage?

The next round of this competition, of course! The top 64 scorers from the auditions round got seeded into groups of 4. During the next 3 weeks, they’ll compete solely within their groups for a spot in the top 16. Only one member of each group will make it into the following round. After that, the competition becomes a 1-v-1 single-elimination-style tournament. 

What do I do if I’m in the top 64?

The remaining competitors have until Saturday, August 19th at 11:59 pm Eastern Daylight Time to submit a completely original track (i.e., made from scratch for the competition) to this thread. You couldn't have started working on this piece until NOW, as per the rules. If we find evidence of you having done so, you will be automatically disqualified. Please read all of the rules if you haven’t already.

There will be NO remixes, remakes, mash-ups, covers, arrangements, or anything like that for this round. Your piece really has to be COMPLETELY original. NO COPYRIGHTED SAMPLES ARE ALLOWED. See the NG Audio Portal guidelines for details.

The strongest competitors from each group will be announced by Saturday, August 26th. Then, the 1-v-1 tournament begins.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you made it into the top 64, but you won’t have time to compete, please let me know as soon as possible! There are a lot of other competitors waiting in the wings for a chance to rejoin the Deathmatch as a fill-in!

What if I didn’t make it in?

That really depends on your position. Walkovers happen every year, when contestants aren’t able to submit to subsequent rounds despite making it in. Because the groups are so small in the NGADM, we like to offer contestants seeded from #65 to #100 or so as fill-ins, because what fun would it be if some members of the top 64 didn’t have any competition? If you’re seeded from 65 to 100, you should probably start making a track for the Group Stage regardless, and also start hoping that members of the top 64 have lots of weddings to attend and vacations to go on over the next 3 weeks.

If you’re not in the top 100, I’d suggest politely asking the judges for some feedback. @ADR3-N, @Bosa, @ConnorGrail, @TeraVex, @WobWobRob, and myself all worked really hard to deliver these scores in a timely manner, so please be patient and respectful with us. Please keep any discussion of your entry to a PM, not the thread. 

SO WHERE ARE THE RESULTS?

RIGHT HERE! People who made it into the top 64 are highlighted in green. People who didn’t are not. The list is alphabetized to help you find your name.

Congratulations to all of the competitors for their hard work. If you’re moving on to the next round, you may now begin working on your Group Stage tracks. If not, hope to see you back next year! ^_^

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 19:45:32 (edited 2023-07-29 19:48:14)

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 19:45:58 (edited 2023-07-29 19:49:16)

For absolute clarity, the following users are seeded #65-100. You technically didn’t make it into the top 64, but you may have a chance to compete anyway because of AWOL members of the original top 64. You should strongly consider working on a piece that follows the rules of the competition over the next couple of weeks, in case you have an opportunity to rejoin the Deathmatch. 

In the meantime, shameless plug for the NGUAC, another music contest on the site that is still accepting submissions until Friday, August 3rd. 

@SomeGuyMusic @InventoryObjects @TheRiskster @MusicSashik @Claycubed @ELEVENT @SPIRALi @MrMusterd @Mauxus @Nixonic @M1ndbreaker @RedCocoa @IndexatioN @XCRIZGD @Jakey-San @Amishpimp @Ajtastic @Auphinity @Pixxlman @Demonicity @DetiousMusic @TeffyD @Arponax @Pciphidic @G2961 @BottomKek @LHPixel8 @OkaThanSongs + @Mike-Gonzalez @DiosselMusic @Xyrul23 @Vanware @D4W1LL13 @Rilo15 @VirtuaLIkimono @Hypervolt @V1ZION

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 19:46:10 (edited 2023-07-29 19:55:56)

Again, for absolute clarity, the following users were not accepted into the Group Stage of the competition, and are unlikely to have an opportunity to rejoin because of walkovers. For what it’s worth, this was an extremely competitive audition round - fewer than 1 in 4 auditioners are moving onto the Group Stage. There are a LOT of talented musicians in this taglist, and I hope to see many of you back next year. 

In the meantime, shameless plug for the NGUAC, another music contest on the site that is still accepting submissions until Friday, August 3rd. 

@FUZZYFREAK @Djjaner @Glassedhouse @AkioDaku @Crammish @Adjeye @CorruptModule @Staintocton + @Absence000 @Darite @DJWITHERHEADgd @supermelon-creations @IncorrectConception @Dry @xZiriusX @conundrym @Rombit @SynnCloud @Lucasberry @PaddyDavis @EldritchAutopsy @SAKKth @WontonSauce @RetoCarrot @ETsundere @Enysmo @BBaNK @Quarl @AlphaStormMusic @Viraxor @Ritz190 @TheNormalMusic @3manonMusic @NeonFD @MattMoney @Interloping @Denks @Dynamic0 @Ultimatepalmtree3 @DWAAAN @MrCheese08 @Anoth3rmind @ChordsInMotion @Force64 @ADarkerBreed @xanxoepico @TimeTravelleR54 @MastaPowa7 @TheVodouQueen @MattMG @StormLight93 @Flamadour @Aszon @Seyrnox @JansMusic @ThatAnoGuy @TurbonicZ + XH @Embyeee @ScottJacob @JaceyBear @BarbierDoesMusic @SodaMindReader @SroSocial @CommanderJersey @JarJarZoinks @MrSpud8 @BigBlueBazooka @Ukatz @Splashtinum @Lumiflag @Smegmaestro @Paint2Acetone + RDn't @SilliuSketcha @MusicBySpektral @MusicianNrd @music69012 @Veenomn @Solaraloe @SirSandman0 @JAM-POWER @7a9s7 @DaxCamdaxian @TebyTheCat @Rougetoad49 @15gramsofcoke @Eptheus @Ziondiac @Partialism @doffu0000 @MaskHeroe @Panacea19 @Psilenth @CIEIRMusic @Geewd @Joel-Phelps @Synami @ZeroDigitZ @GlaceonDash @Nerospace @ReytunezBz @Ezzedo @GDjkhp @Winkwing @Vai5000 @Zone18069 @T3ralion @AlienSumo1 @GabeMalk @Cyllum @TVP06 @Yayday-4evr @ButterBees @arbelamram @CielOuvert @REDIALBEAT @GEYXOR @JizzyJazz @Derailment @EnergySync299 @Colin8tor @Xetto @AthosBR64 @Tsunami990 @ZRKA @Roboticclan @NewGameExplorers @NikoN1nja @Pooo1 @JustSomeBread @Avixel @BALDORF @Mejeri @Toad-shroom @UnderFlood @basicpepperoni31 @Jeffbeard @Exdrumi @Mesage @DonDonPan @Foxyman697 @Aalasteir @Anonymous-Frog @VilestOfVile @MistfulShadow + @Windows16 @Peshay @Diamondmanpixel76 @McSpeedster2000

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 20:08:14

Honestly I'm hugely surprised that I didn't even make it. Maybe I had a little too much hubris after being frontpaged and puffs doing serious numbers. I'd like the judges to give me honest feedback (pm or on this thread) as to why I scored what I scored. I know I got a few things right, but I really need the feedback on what I did wrong.......

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 20:12:38

At 7/29/23 08:08 PM, Rilo15 wrote:
Honestly I'm hugely surprised that I didn't even make it.

Fair enough. I will post my reviews later tonight.

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 21:08:48

such is

there was nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 21:15:10

At 7/29/23 07:45 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: For absolute clarity, the following users are seeded #65-100. You technically didn’t make it into the top 64, but you may have a chance to compete anyway because of AWOL members of the original top 64. You should strongly consider working on a piece that follows the rules of the competition over the next couple of weeks, in case you have an opportunity to rejoin the Deathmatch. 

@SomeGuyMusic @InventoryObjects @TheRiskster @MusicSashik @Claycubed @ELEVENT @SPIRALi @MrMusterd @Mauxus @Nixonic @M1ndbreaker @RedCocoa @IndexatioN @XCRIZGD @Jakey-San @Amishpimp @Ajtastic @Auphinity @Pixxlman @Demonicity @DetiousMusic @TeffyD @Arponax @Pciphidic @G2961 @BottomKek @LHPixel8 @OkaThanSongs + @Mike-Gonzalez @DiosselMusic @Xyrul23 @Vanware @D4W1LL13 @Rilo15 @VirtuaLIkimono @Hypervolt @V1ZION

Ah rip I'm surprised I didn't make it I did see some really good songs. Also when I was reviewed I didn't get the mixing, composition, emotion, breakdown. I'm just curious as to what I would score with those.

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 21:21:13 (edited 2023-07-29 21:21:40)

At 7/29/23 07:45 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: Almost forgot! The top 64 probably want to know who they’ll be facing, huh? Here are the groups:

Group A
@BeyondOurEyes
@Iamwontolla
@CHPSK8
@Irish-Soul

Group B
@ZaneLittle
@MetaHumanBoi
@JensVide
@Qshunt

Group C
@Lordant
@Benji-G
@Spoonman420
@Bassclefff

Group D
@Zoftle + @Tokzick
@Lashmush
@3xBlastMx
@MetatronMusic

Group E
@Papkee
@Kitschy
@JinZ
@ErikMcClure

Group F
@Zip-Zap-Official
@Deemo-R
@Ackee39
@CrowdDoll

Group G
@DenPelm
@NDXLOfficial
@Mischa-head
@SkaydenMusic

Group H
@ColBreakz
@Trunotfals
@AlbeGian
@ET16

Group I
@FJOB
@A145
@Vidu3k333
@Cresince

Group J
@GalaxyTones
@WingsOfAsh
@Nascene
@ArtCowles

Group K
@CloakedSoup
@Ryzmik
@Mockany
@xxxZigZagxxx

Group L
@Wushyx
@Trackers
@Semzaiy
@Kysertron

Group M
@LordAndiso
@ALGOfficial
@PsiStarOfficial
@Troisnyx + @DisOmikron

Group N
@Ketyri
@Kreagato
@Syamori
@Gdfoxy0021

Group O
@CrossCarrasco
@Finnsfolks
@IglicaV
@ThePal

Group P
@LucidShadowDreamer
@ArramEggleston
@Aterr
@NashQP

Also, in case you’re curious, the next round will have the winner of Group A playing the winner of Group B, and C vs. D, etc. 

Congratulations and good luck, everyone! ^_^

Can't wait to hear what everyone makes! 😁

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 21:34:08

At 7/29/23 07:46 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: Again, for absolute clarity, the following users were not accepted into the Group Stage of the competition, and are unlikely to have an opportunity to rejoin because of walkovers. For what it’s worth, this was an extremely competitive audition round - fewer than 1 in 4 auditioners are moving onto the Group Stage. There are a LOT of talented musicians in this taglist, and I hope to see many of you back next year. 

@FUZZYFREAK @Djjaner @Glassedhouse @AkioDaku @Crammish @Adjeye @CorruptModule @Staintocton + @Absence000 @Darite @DJWITHERHEADgd @supermelon-creations @IncorrectConception @Dry @xZiriusX @conundrym @Rombit @SynnCloud @Lucasberry @PaddyDavis @EldritchAutopsy @SAKKth @WontonSauce @RetoCarrot @ETsundere @Enysmo @BBaNK @Quarl @AlphaStormMusic @Viraxor @Ritz190 @TheNormalMusic @3manonMusic @NeonFD @MattMoney @Interloping @Denks @Dynamic0 @Ultimatepalmtree3 @DWAAAN @MrCheese08 @Anoth3rmind @ChordsInMotion @Force64 @ADarkerBreed @xanxoepico @TimeTravelleR54 @MastaPowa7 @TheVodouQueen @MattMG @StormLight93 @Flamadour @Aszon @Seyrnox @JansMusic @ThatAnoGuy @TurbonicZ + XH @Embyeee @ScottJacob @JaceyBear @BarbierDoesMusic @SodaMindReader @SroSocial @CommanderJersey @JarJarZoinks @MrSpud8 @BigBlueBazooka @Ukatz @Splashtinum @Lumiflag @Smegmaestro @Paint2Acetone + RDn't @SilliuSketcha @MusicBySpektral @MusicianNrd @music69012 @Veenomn @Solaraloe @SirSandman0 @JAM-POWER @7a9s7 @DaxCamdaxian @TebyTheCat @Rougetoad49 @15gramsofcoke @Eptheus @Ziondiac @Partialism @doffu0000 @MaskHeroe @Panacea19 @Psilenth @CIEIRMusic @Geewd @Joel-Phelps @Synami @ZeroDigitZ @GlaceonDash @Nerospace @ReytunezBz @Ezzedo @GDjkhp @Winkwing @Vai5000 @Zone18069 @T3ralion @AlienSumo1 @GabeMalk @Cyllum @TVP06 @Yayday-4evr @ButterBees @arbelamram @CielOuvert @REDIALBEAT @GEYXOR @JizzyJazz @Derailment @EnergySync299 @Colin8tor @Xetto @AthosBR64 @Tsunami990 @ZRKA @Roboticclan @NewGameExplorers @NikoN1nja @Pooo1 @JustSomeBread @Avixel @BALDORF @Mejeri @Toad-shroom @UnderFlood @basicpepperoni31 @Jeffbeard @Exdrumi @Mesage @DonDonPan @Foxyman697 @Aalasteir @Anonymous-Frog @VilestOfVile @MistfulShadow + @Windows16 @Peshay @Diamondmanpixel76 @McSpeedster2000

With the amount of people got in it just feels like a dubstep competition but whatever. at least i placed in the high 100s. better then i expected

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 22:16:20

aww

well i'll try again next year

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 22:20:46

I'm just grateful to have made it in at least the top 65-100. This is a W.

My art

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 23:06:36

At 7/29/23 07:46 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: Again, for absolute clarity, the following users were not accepted into the Group Stage of the competition, and are unlikely to have an opportunity to rejoin because of walkovers. For what it’s worth, this was an extremely competitive audition round - fewer than 1 in 4 auditioners are moving onto the Group Stage. There are a LOT of talented musicians in this taglist, and I hope to see many of you back next year. 

it was fun cant wait to hear what other people make

i need to make a new background

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-29 23:28:25

At 7/29/23 11:07 PM, Leavesz wrote: At 7/29/23 09:34 PM, SAKKth wrote: With the amount of people got in it just feels like a dubstep competition but whatever.

By my count, we have 9 dubstep tracks among the top 64 finishers, and 38 that fit into electronica as a whole. That does seem like a lot, but based on my experience it's pretty representative of the Audio Portal as a whole. I assure you that the NGADM is not a pro-dubstep racket lol.

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 02:18:35

At 7/29/23 11:28 PM, TaintedLogic wrote:
At 7/29/23 11:07 PM, Leavesz wrote: At 7/29/23 09:34 PM, SAKKth wrote: With the amount of people got in it just feels like a dubstep competition but whatever.
By my count, we have 9 dubstep tracks among the top 64 finishers, and 38 that fit into electronica as a whole. That does seem like a lot, but based on my experience it's pretty representative of the Audio Portal as a whole. I assure you that the NGADM is not a pro-dubstep racket lol.

As someone who got in, 38 out of 64 electronica is a majority. Let that sink in for a few moments.

I know I got in but this is not the mix I have heard in past contests at all, is what I'm saying. This feels far from it. 🤔

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 02:39:45

Gawd damn!! now this is what i call a competition! I feel outmatched lmao.. this will be so fun!

what is a signature, what does it do?

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 04:09:27

@ConnorGrail & @TeraVex please could you guys give me some feedback? I can't understand why I'm getting 6-6.5 from yourselves and 8-9.75 from others. Just gutted I didn't get through, I know I shouldn't expect it, but this is the first time I've not made it through qualifying, I mean I normally get through to round 2-3, so now I'm having a crisis of self... Kinda made the mistake of looking forward to this all year. 🤦🏿‍♀️

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 04:11:14

Me. I'm not surprised I didn't make it, I never had any good luck with contests and competitions in general that said looking at the Doc gave me some unintentional giggles.

For starters the last two scores and the overall average score ended in a 666 pattern. Then to make things more funny, two of my scores were 6.9 which sounds a lot like 69. Ah it's the little things in life. What I didn't expect, was TaintedLogic giving such a thorough review of my work. And that alone is rewarding.

CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 04:26:06

At 7/30/23 04:09 AM, AkioDaku wrote: @ConnorGrail & @TeraVex please could you guys give me some feedback? I can't understand why I'm getting 6-6.5 from yourselves and 8-9.75 from others. Just gutted I didn't get through, I know I shouldn't expect it, but this is the first time I've not made it through qualifying, I mean I normally get through to round 2-3, so now I'm having a crisis of self... Kinda made the mistake of looking forward to this all year. 🤦🏿‍♀️

I want to ask the same of @ConnorGrail and @wobwobrob; Chris and I got in, but with huge variance.

TL and @ADR3-N left feedback for us a while back but given the variance... I'm not even sure I should even take that with any confidence anymore. Speaking for myself, looking at these scores, I don't know whose advice I should follow, and exactly what I'm meant to do to improve, if one is saying something's okay and another is saying it's not.

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 06:06:33

Well, at least it was worth trying. Hope we'll see some good competition in the group stage!

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 06:35:18

There's a bias towards popular stuff like EDM, dubstep, dance, video game. Stuff like ambient, new wave, and other chillout style music don't get much attention. That's how it is though, in the real world, and here.

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 08:19:32

i didnt make it, rip!

congrats and good luck to the people who got in, though :)

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 09:53:22

At 7/30/23 04:26 AM, Troisnyx wrote: At 7/30/23 04:09 AM, AkioDaku wrote:

When you guys talk of "huge variance in the scores," I think you're experiencing the fundamental truth that music is subjective. The judges have different musical backgrounds, and so they tend to emphasize different attributes of musicality (composition, variety, originality, mixing, sound design, etc.) in their scoring rubrics. Then you could get even more granular with that (when does lo-fi mixing become too lo-fi? When is an abrupt transition fitting for a piece, and when is it just jarring?) and run into a lot of different, and valid, opinions.

Frankly, "if one judge is saying something's okay and another is saying it's not," I would tend to listen more closely to the judge who's saying it's not, especially as we narrow down the field to just a handful of musicians in the coming weeks. In my early years of judging these contests, I certainly gave some very-high scores to pieces that had pretty bad mixing but really nice melodies and sound design. I didn't care much about mixing because I'm first and foremost a cellist. Concert halls usually do the mixing and mastering for me. That's one of the many reasons why I like judging alongside people like @ADR3-N in contests - she's poured her heart and soul into mixing and mastering over the years, and it shows in the way she scores tracks. Our approaches to judging counterbalance each other well IMO.

Over the years, I've developed a more balanced way of scoring tracks, as reflected in my rubric. But the point is that there's no one right way to score tracks for the NGADM, so there tends to be some variation in the scores among the judges.

----

I also want to address the perception that there are certain "favored genres" in the NGADM. In short, the majority of the top 64 are primarily electronic musicians because the majority of pieces submitted to these contests are electronic (I guess 2019 was the last time I officially kept track though). That said, I'm happy to do a full analysis of who got in and who didn't by genre for you and @CielOuvert, but please give me a few days.

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 10:08:17 (edited 2023-07-30 10:14:38)

Hi all, 2 things to say!

Firstly, if anyone would like direct feedback for my judging score, please message me and I will be happy to give my notes.

Secondly, I made 2 mistakes when I was copy pasting my scores into the database.

My score for @troisnyx should have been 9.1

My score for @trunotfals should have been 8.5

This was caused by me copy pasting my entries into the database to save time. I did this in chunks, and unfortunately this lead to this error.

I have gone through and double checked all my scores for the 247 entries and I can confirm that these are the only two errors I made. As it happens, both qualified anyway, but still, please accept my apologies! It's a lot of work to go through and judge, and it's a role I take very seriously!

Like I say, any feedback, please message me directly :)

https://linktr.ee/wobwobrob

Game Audio Designer based in UK

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 10:31:08 (edited 2023-07-30 10:50:50)

At 7/30/23 10:08 AM, wobwobrob wrote:
Hi all, 2 things to say!

Thanks for being so transparent about this, Rob. I have re-seeded the top 64 based on these edits, which means we have some slightly different groups than before:

Group A

@BeyondOurEyes

@A145

@Iamwontolla

@Irish-Soul

Group B

@Trunotfals

@ZaneLittle

@Nascene

@JensVide

Group C

@Lordant

@Finnsfolks

@3xBlastMx

@xxxZigZagxxx

Group D

@Zoftle + @Tokzick

@Ryzmik

@Semzaiy

@Bassclefff

Group E

@Papkee

@ArramEggleston

@PsiStarOfficial

@ET16

Group F

@Zip-Zap-Official

@WingsOfAsh

@Mischa-head

@Gdfoxy0021

Group G

@DenPelm

@Kreagato

@IglicaV

@CrowdDoll

Group H

@ColBreakz

@Trackers

@JinZ

@NashQP

Group I

@FJOB

@ALGOfficial

@CHPSK8

@Cresince

Group J

@GalaxyTones

@MetaHumanBoi

@Syamori

@Qshunt

Group K

@CloakedSoup

@NDXLOfficial

@Spoonman420

@ThePal

Group L

@Wushyx

@Benji-G

@Aterr

@MetatronMusic

Group M

@LordAndiso

@Kitschy

@Vidu3k333

@ErikMcClure

Group N

@Ketyri

@Troisnyx + @DisOmikron

@Ackee39

@ArtCowles

Group O

@CrossCarrasco

@Deemo-R

@Mockany

@SkaydenMusic

Group P

@LucidShadowDreamer

@Lashmush

@AlbeGian

@Kysertron

Also, I know this copy error was a special case, but please note that I am NOT going to re-seed everyone whenever there's a walkover or something. If someone drops out, #65 just takes over their seed, etc.

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 10:40:55

Also, a friendly reminder to anyone who made it into the Group Stage last year and didn't crack the top 100 this year: we had more than twice the number of submissions this year as last. The scoring threshold to get in this year is 8.08, compared to 7.215 last year. Please don't think that your music has deteriorated in quality or that the judges are out to get you. The truth is that the NGADM is a lot more competitive this year because of sheer numbers. A 60% "acceptance rate" vs. 26%. That's all.

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 12:54:23

*cracks knuckles* Hooooo boy, this is gonna be good. Good luck everyone!

Haha, dubstep competition my ass. If I lose to dubstep I will literally cover myself in (n)guacamole.

BBS Signature

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 16:37:18

LET'S GO

I'm seeing a decent variety in the tracks that made it in, and it looks like the groups were picked based on the seed (ie no specific like-and-like grouping), so I can't wait to see what all comes out of this round.

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 16:44:20

At 7/30/23 02:18 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
As someone who got in, 38 out of 64 electronica is a majority. Let that sink in for a few moments.

I know I got in but this is not the mix I have heard in past contests at all, is what I'm saying. This feels far from it. 🤔

As one of the "dubstep" tracks, I picked the closest thing they had. Artcore is basically orchestral soundtrack with bass music under it, and orchestra arrangements take priority over bass design, so it's more like 8, at most. If you want more examples of that sound, check out Codly.

Electronica has a lower bar for entry than a lot of other genres, at least for online communities where you present it by uploading it, as opposed to playing it live, so it only makes sense that it's more represented. I'm glad there's an audience for non-electronica music though, as someone that makes a lot of metal.

Response to NGADM 2023 Group Stage 2023-07-30 22:05:29

At 7/30/23 04:26 AM, Troisnyx wrote: I want to ask the same of @ConnorGrail and @wobwobrob; Chris and I got in, but with huge variance.

TL and @ADR3-N left feedback for us a while back but given the variance... I'm not even sure I should even take that with any confidence anymore.

Speaking for myself alone, as @TaintedLogic said, I typically base about 6 points of my score in mixing and mastering with regard to clarity, and the remaining to melodic composition, cohesion, and transitions. Remaining bonus points, up to 1 point, for an outstanding element in lead writing, phrases, and development.

As I study multiple genres, no one genre is a no-go to me, unless it's absolute avant garde noise music, or garage black metal.

I noticed that more niche genres like gabber and terrorcore tend to do poorly in these competitions, and occasionally film scores get a boost depending on sample instrument quality. To compensate for that and be fair to everyone, I try to judge by the relative standards of parent, family, or other genres I can pick up on, with respect to how the tracks in question stack up to similar exemplary charted tracks I have heard or studied.

Regarding objectivity of the judges, I do wish more feedback was given across the board, even if it were just one line a piece, but 250 songs is a lot to judge and I myself didn't have time to get to everything. Still I think feedback is the best part of these competitions and I'm very happy to discuss at length any point at which you all would be interested to hear!

What would be really interesting for the future is to have judges on the panel focus on only one point of the track in question.

Ex, mix, master, melodic content, structure, etc., and then average those scores together. It can be two judges a piece per characteristic, based on their specialties.

As is, it's not a perfect system, but I think such a large panel is about as good as we can get, assuming everyone strives to be perfectly objective with their scores. Perhaps the only way to better the system is a little transparency before the competition of each judge's background, but that can lead to stacking individual entries to the taste of the majority of iudges, as opposed to each entrant doing what they do best and prefer.

It's always a very touchy subject. I encourage everyone to express themselves, ask for critique, or even a second look if you truly suspect we've been unfair.

Thank you all!

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature