00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Heretoplayarnd just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021

2,758 Views | 69 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-05 01:38:56

A little late on this one, but better late than never! Month 4 was the most popular challenge to date despite July being a particularly busy month for a lot of us. That one was a collaborative effort, this time I want y'all to use your previous work as part of the challenge.

Flip your OC's Alignment Challenge

iu_378042_8048042.png

Take an OC of yours that was originally designed to portray a certain set of traits, reverse those traits, then design the character again. For example, if your OC is a grumpy hero like Danu here, redesign them as a joyful villain. Got an evil OC? Try drawing them as a good guy!

Be sure to post your OCs alongside your redesigns so we can compare and contrast. Good luck!

As always, these challenges don’t expire, so you can take your time and submit to any of them at any time.

Previous challenges:

1: Wild West Vampires

2: Space Station Daily Life

3: Matching Weapon/Gear Sets

4: Abstract Shapes

Oh, wonderful. 100% on board for this one.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-05 06:16:59

I call upon honored Monthly Challenge veterans @FlikkiShassART and @PilotSpikey to come flex as well.

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-05 06:25:18

At 8/5/21 06:16 AM, Skoops wrote: I call upon honored Monthly Challenge veterans @FlikkiShassART and @PilotSpikey to come flex as well.

Dang, I wasn't aware that there was a fourth one! Well better make up for it I guess...

Squid pro quo. Tits for tat.

Check out my sketches and stuff!

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-05 09:23:33

Well, here's what I came up with.

iu_378242_9484520.png

Once a condescending, insecure prick, now a charismatic nerd with a bit less attitude. Wendoe really got remade.

Here's a pic of Wendoe before becoming a purple turd.

iu_377811_9484520.webp

Check current mood, cool music!

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-05 09:38:29

I guess I'll go second.

Here are my Oc's Amputriss and Ampukate. Though they are sisters, they have a lot of differences; Amputriss likes bands like 'My Biological Romance' and 'Zombi', while Ampukate prefers 'One Dissection' and 'DJ Khilled'; Amputriss likes dogs, Ampukate prefers cats; Amputriss puts her milk after the cereal, Ampukate... is trying to cut down on her fat and sugar intake actually (she says she's on a diet, but she can't help herself around the Aldi bakery aisle).

Neither is particularily evil or good; both are rather neutral in terms of alignment, though personality wise Amputriss is more easy-going and friendly, and Ampukate is more bitchy and domineering- though both are loyal once you get to know them.

iu_378262_2986819.png

Ampukate I kinda made up on the fly, but I like her gogo-boots.

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-05 23:06:51

At 8/5/21 09:38 AM, FlikkiShassART wrote: I guess I'll go second.

Here are my Oc's Amputriss and Ampukate. Though they are sisters, they have a lot of differences; Amputriss likes bands like 'My Biological Romance' and 'Zombi', while Ampukate prefers 'One Dissection' and 'DJ Khilled'; Amputriss likes dogs, Ampukate prefers cats; Amputriss puts her milk after the cereal, Ampukate... is trying to cut down on her fat and sugar intake actually (she says she's on a diet, but she can't help herself around the Aldi bakery aisle).

Neither is particularily evil or good; both are rather neutral in terms of alignment, though personality wise Amputriss is more easy-going and friendly, and Ampukate is more bitchy and domineering- though both are loyal once you get to know them.

Digging the similarities in detail balance while giving those details clearly different personality signifiers. The puns are awful - I love it.

I like the gogo boots too, but they might suggest a more outgoing, energetic personality, since they have a cultural connection to dancing and partying; the rest of the lacey aethetic suggests she's more reserved. Amputriss' boots look like pretty hefty go-anywhere footwear, so if Ampukate is the opposite, maybe she needs something a bit more dressy. Probably on the right track with it being impractical and heely already.

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-06 00:24:49

At 8/5/21 11:06 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 8/5/21 09:38 AM, FlikkiShassART wrote: I guess I'll go second.

Digging the similarities in detail balance while giving those details clearly different personality signifiers. The puns are awful - I love it.

I like the gogo boots too, but they might suggest a more outgoing, energetic personality, since they have a cultural connection to dancing and partying; the rest of the lacey aethetic suggests she's more reserved. Amputriss' boots look like pretty hefty go-anywhere footwear, so if Ampukate is the opposite, maybe she needs something a bit more dressy. Probably on the right track with it being impractical and heely already.

Good points. I just didn't want them to be different heights, and I figured I needed the "good" parallel to platform shoes (in my mind platform shoes are more evil on the alignment chart for some reason???). I guess high heels would've been more dressy, but they wouldn't have been as chunky- and I like a bit of chunk. ; )

It took longer than I care to admit to come up with some of the puns.

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-06 01:48:39

At 8/6/21 12:24 AM, FlikkiShassART wrote:
Good points. I just didn't want them to be different heights, and I figured I needed the "good" parallel to platform shoes (in my mind platform shoes are more evil on the alignment chart for some reason???). I guess high heels would've been more dressy, but they wouldn't have been as chunky- and I like a bit of chunk. ; )

It took longer than I care to admit to come up with some of the puns.

You do do well with chunky design elements. I know girls with that kind of style that like doc martens; maybe some of their more shoe-y stuff would work since the soles are still dummy thicc. Leaves room for frilly socks etc etc.

Good/bad puns are always worth the effort.

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-06 09:32:34

At 8/6/21 01:48 AM, Skoops wrote: You do do well with chunky design elements. I know girls with that kind of style that like doc martens; maybe some of their more shoe-y stuff would work since the soles are still dummy thicc. Leaves room for frilly socks etc etc.

Frilly socks is a good idea, and am now hitting my head as to why I didn't come up with that first. Doc martens is good too since they're really preppy; Uggs could work but they don't have much of a sole. I just had solid heel gogo-boots on the mind cause I live in a very LGBTQ city, so you get a lot of eclectic styles, and I saw someone wearing them. Mind you the rest of their style was more punk then prep if I remember correctly.

Good/bad puns are always worth the effort.

No such thing as a good pun. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-08 12:27:55

Just gonna bump this. Don't know why people aren't joining in- people seem to love showing off their OC's recently.

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-08 12:57:29

At 8/8/21 12:27 PM, FlikkiShassART wrote: Just gonna bump this. Don't know why people aren't joining in- people seem to love showing off their OC's recently.

Aight, I’ll give it a try.

...just give me 40 winks-

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-08 13:09:25

At 8/8/21 12:57 PM, shintsukimi205 wrote:
At 8/8/21 12:27 PM, FlikkiShassART wrote: Just gonna bump this. Don't know why people aren't joining in- people seem to love showing off their OC's recently.

wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

; )

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-08 20:32:58

At 8/8/21 01:09 PM, FlikkiShassART wrote:
; )

Aight, give me a few, my winks are done and I'll work on it asap.

BBS Signature

Okay, done. Ain't the best, but I'd say it's pretty okay.

Original's name is "Jules" (on the left), and I suppose for his 'flipped' I'll call him "Chuck" (on the right).

Pointless fun fact! Both are 13.

iu_382331_8448115.png

Considering Jules is sort of, uh..

• Pretty much adventurous
  • A tad bit too innocent for his good
  • He's pretty... homeschooled.

I figured Chuck should be more of someone who's...

• One to stay at one place
  • A tad bit too mature for his own good
  • Not homeschooled.

Oh right, also wanted to flip a bit of the figure, too, like the eyes and face, even the colors of the clothing, all that.

Kinda a first timer here, hope I did good enough! Might participate in the next ones...

Also might upload this to my account... Still debating on it, really.

BBS Signature

I like the work you put into their personalities, though I think with a good design you should be able to convey those traits through how they look; it's one thing to tell it's another thing to show. So Jules has that innocent and scampish look to him, and I like that- though since the image is so cramped and is mostly a headshot, it's hard to read those concepts. A nice full body shot would really help the viewer get all the information about who your character is, especially in a contrast challenge such as this one- you want to see the details that are opposites, ya know?

I hope you do participate in the next ones. : )

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-09 07:11:44

At 8/9/21 06:41 AM, FlikkiShassART wrote: I like the work you put into their personalities, though I think with a good design you should be able to convey those traits through how they look; it's one thing to tell it's another thing to show. So Jules has that innocent and scampish look to him, and I like that- though since the image is so cramped and is mostly a headshot, it's hard to read those concepts. A nice full body shot would really help the viewer get all the information about who your character is, especially in a contrast challenge such as this one- you want to see the details that are opposites, ya know?

I hope you do participate in the next ones. : )

Heh, thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to keep note a' that next time.

BBS Signature

At 8/9/21 03:27 AM, shintsukimi205 wrote: Kinda a first timer here, hope I did good enough!

Not too shabby for a first attempt!

I'm guilty of just doing two overlapping busts for the prompt's preview, so I'll try to avoid saying anything that amounts to "do as I say, not as I do." It's not totally necessary to do full body drawings, but the more you show, the less you'll need to tell, usually.

Your main impulse here was inversion/mirroring, which can work to a point. When the color balance for both is around 50/50 between black and white though, swapping their placement doesn't communicate all that much.

Let's break down this example - Red Ranger vs Psycho Ranger Red:

iu_382421_8048042.jpg

In many ways, this is a color balance swap, but look at how much else is going on here:

-Tiered Color balance. Red Ranger had a mostly red design, with white as a secondary and black as a tertiary color. Psycho Red has black as the main, red as secondary, white as tertiary. Each has a hierarchy of colors, meaning one is more important than the others. Red Ranger's color balance communicates that he's a member of a team, but his uniqueness is important. All the psycho rangers are mostly black, signifying that they're evil first and foremost, and their separation by color is less important because their individuality is not as important.

-Shape Language. Red Ranger's design is rounder, smoother, and does less to hide his human figure so that you can identify with him as a hero. Psycho's is chunkier, more angular and made to look more demonic or inhuman.

-Rare similarities highlight the differences. Elements like the mouthpiece and belt buckle remain roughly the same shape and color to show that there is a connection, but these elements are used sparingly. It doesn't take much.

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-09 07:51:38

At 8/9/21 07:47 AM, Skoops wrote:
At 8/9/21 03:27 AM, shintsukimi205 wrote: Kinda a first timer here, hope I did good enough!
Not too shabby for a first attempt!

I'm guilty of just doing two overlapping busts for the prompt's preview, so I'll try to avoid saying anything that amounts to "do as I say, not as I do." It's not totally necessary to do full body drawings, but the more you show, the less you'll need to tell, usually.

Your main impulse here was inversion/mirroring, which can work to a point. When the color balance for both is around 50/50 between black and white though, swapping their placement doesn't communicate all that much.

Let's break down this example - Red Ranger vs Psycho Ranger Red:

In many ways, this is a color balance swap, but look at how much else is going on here:
-Tiered Color balance. Red Ranger had a mostly red design, with white as a secondary and black as a tertiary color. Psycho Red has black as the main, red as secondary, white as tertiary. Each has a hierarchy of colors, meaning one is more important than the others. Red Ranger's color balance communicates that he's a member of a team, but his uniqueness is important. All the psycho rangers are mostly black, signifying that they're evil first and foremost, and their separation by color is less important because their individuality is not as important.
-Shape Language. Red Ranger's design is rounder, smoother, and does less to hide his human figure so that you can identify with him as a hero. Psycho's is chunkier, more angular and made to look more demonic or inhuman.
-Rare similarities highlight the differences. Elements like the mouthpiece and belt buckle remain roughly the same shape and color to show that there is a connection, but these elements are used sparingly. It doesn't take much.

Lookin' at this is already giving me future ideas...

Heh, thanks though! Especially with the criticism!

...to be fair, I got no words up to this point really, even if there's much I'd like to express-

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-10 00:36:09

Imma try and make somethin for this too. My main OC actually goes pretty well this challenge.

Somewhat Modest; Not the Smartest; One of the Oddest

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-11 13:47:34

I nominate @oddlem since they're active here and I think they're more than up to the task.

At 8/11/21 01:47 PM, Skoops wrote: I nominate @oddlem since they're active here and I think they're more than up to the task.

it's funny you nominated me cause I've been wanting to do this one super bad LOL

I'm just trying to find a way to manage my adhd heheheh (which is why I haven't done that oc request yet), I think I'll do it tho!!!

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-15 01:56:49

At 8/10/21 12:36 AM, Levi0nL1ne wrote:
Imma try and make somethin for this too. My main OC actually goes pretty well this challenge.

As promised, the drawing challenge is complete, for now...

iu_389210_9161595.webp

Kaleidoscope, also known as Mason Rogers, is an entity capable of transforming into alternate versions of himself that can be from anywhere in the universe. But, before Kaleidoscope discovers those powers, he must discover his true selves as well. Through unknown means, his spirit was split into two physical entities: Mason and Rogers. These two freaks have a sort of left brain, right brain relationship.

Mason is the bubbly yet flamboyant left brain. He lets his creative mentality, and emotional stubbornness be at the forefront of all his battles.

Rogers is the complete opposite: a shy and logical debbie downer. He tends to hold on to the mistakes and fears of his past, which clouds his mind and forces him to push others away.

BBS Signature

At 8/15/21 01:56 AM, Levi0nL1ne wrote:

Kaleidoscope, also known as Mason Rogers, is an entity capable of transforming into alternate versions of himself that can be from anywhere in the universe. But, before Kaleidoscope discovers those powers, he must discover his true selves as well. Through unknown means, his spirit was split into two physical entities: Mason and Rogers. These two freaks have a sort of left brain, right brain relationship.

Mason is the bubbly yet flamboyant left brain. He lets his creative mentality, and emotional stubbornness be at the forefront of all his battles.

Rogers is the complete opposite: a shy and logical debbie downer. He tends to hold on to the mistakes and fears of his past, which clouds his mind and forces him to push others away.

I think this is a solid case of character design- you can definitely guess at their personalities from just looking at them, and the concept of one being the id and the other the ego is good and clearly conveyed. I also like the necklace being split in two, and the idea of them two being seperate parts of a greater whole. You met the challenge and smashed it.

However, I'd say it's a case of too much tell and not enough show: the concept is not properly included in their design. What about these two characters says omnipresence? And Kaleidoscope is a cool character in concept, but other than swirly eyes it's just a guy. There's nothing in the design that shows that he's (and they) an immortal god that can turn into any version of himself. Wouldn't it be cool if they had more of a puzzle piece motif, or they looked like a stained glass window where each shard has a different style, or multiple masks they can put on? Just something to show that they have that kind of power.

I have to say though, I'm a big fan of Pip. A catfish with demonic powers? That's p.fun.

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-15 06:53:59

At 8/15/21 03:21 AM, FlikkiShassART wrote:

I think this is a solid case of character design- you can definitely guess at their personalities from just looking at them, and the concept of one being the id and the other the ego is good and clearly conveyed. I also like the necklace being split in two, and the idea of them two being seperate parts of a greater whole. You met the challenge and smashed it.

However, I'd say it's a case of too much tell and not enough show: the concept is not properly included in their design. What about these two characters says omnipresence? And Kaleidoscope is a cool character in concept, but other than swirly eyes it's just a guy. There's nothing in the design that shows that he's (and they) an immortal god that can turn into any version of himself. Wouldn't it be cool if they had more of a puzzle piece motif, or they looked like a stained glass window where each shard has a different style, or multiple masks they can put on? Just something to show that they have that kind of power.

I have to say though, I'm a big fan of Pip. A catfish with demonic powers? That's p.fun.

Thank you so much for the feedback! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-15 23:04:28

Tried to do mine, it's just a crappy doodle but hope it works.

My oc is a demon girl (doesn't have a name yet), she wear a denim jacket, a black t-shirt, jean shorts and a pair of sneakers. Her counterpart it's supposed to be an angel, I tried to make her with a dress, earrings, a bow in her hair, and high heel shoes (even it doesn't appear in the doodle, but I imagined her like that).

iu_390265_8700495.webp

Here is the reference-sheet for my oc, by the way:

iu_390266_8700495.webp

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-15 23:38:16

Well done! You've proven that you don't have to go all-out with detail to communicate clear differences and clear connections between characters. Personality comes through in the facial expressions, hair styles, even how much skin their clothes cover. Without reading any of the background context, I got it.

I might not be able to intuit some of the intricacies of your lore for them, but personally that doesn't really matter. There are a lot of masterful concept artists out there that can tell a whole story with a single image, but generally most character design in popular media just gives you some baseline surface information that fits the nature of the writing, or at least doesn't contradict it. Sometimes all you need is someone to say "hey, these guys look like brothers or something, with different personalities; I wonder what that's all about."

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-16 03:05:52

At 8/15/21 11:04 PM, Emmazapan wrote: Tried to do mine, it's just a crappy doodle but hope it works.
My oc is a demon girl (doesn't have a name yet), she wear a denim jacket, a black t-shirt, jean shorts and a pair of sneakers. Her counterpart it's supposed to be an angel, I tried to make her with a dress, earrings, a bow in her hair, and high heel shoes (even it doesn't appear in the doodle, but I imagined her like that).

Here is the reference-sheet for my oc, by the way:

She looks cool- I bet she'd be fun to go to the pub with. The devil I mean, not the angel, though she looks like she might like the drink as well. I can imagine they're the main characters from a 2000's disney-channel sitcom or something. : P

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-16 04:05:05

At 8/5/21 01:38 AM, Skoops wrote: A little late on this one, but better late than never! Month 4 was the most popular challenge to date despite July being a particularly busy month for a lot of us. That one was a collaborative effort, this time I want y'all to use your previous work as part of the challenge.

Flip your OC's Alignment Challenge

Take an OC of yours that was originally designed to portray a certain set of traits, reverse those traits, then design the character again. For example, if your OC is a grumpy hero like Danu here, redesign them as a joyful villain. Got an evil OC? Try drawing them as a good guy!

Be sure to post your OCs alongside your redesigns so we can compare and contrast. Good luck!

As always, these challenges don’t expire, so you can take your time and submit to any of them at any time.
Previous challenges:
1: Wild West Vampires
2: Space Station Daily Life
3: Matching Weapon/Gear Sets
4: Abstract Shapes

Yes I totally need to do this!

Response to Design Challenge #5 - 08 2021 2021-08-16 04:43:32

At 8/16/21 04:05 AM, ShayInator wrote: Yes I totally need to do this!

Niiiiice! Definitely looking forward to see what you come up with