00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Create a free account to unlock the full magic and wonder of Newgrounds!

Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021

453 Views | 17 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-05-02 02:09:44


Howdy folks, hope y'all had a blessed Pico Day. The design challenge for May is here!


Daily Life on the Space Station

iu_294326_8048042.webp

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to design environments, props, machines, etc. for use in domestic life aboard a civilian space station. We're talking shops, housing, offices, transportation, parks, and so on. You won't be depicting a war vessel, so try to keep the weapons to a minimum or avoid them altogether.


If you want some inspiration, I personally recommend the many works of Syd Mead, granddaddy of concept art and the primary reason why sci-fi stuff looked better in the 80s.

iu_294327_8048042.webp


These challenges do not expire, so you can submit work to any of them at any time. That means you can also check-out April's Design Challenge and give that one a shot as well.


Have fun!

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-05-02 02:45:34


At 5/2/21 02:09 AM, Skoops wrote: Howdy folks, hope y'all had a blessed Pico Day. The design challenge for May is here!

Daily Life on the Space Station

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to design environments, props, machines, etc. for use in domestic life aboard a civilian space station. We're talking shops, housing, offices, transportation, parks, and so on. You won't be depicting a war vessel, so try to keep the weapons to a minimum or avoid them altogether.

If you want some inspiration, I personally recommend the many works of Syd Mead, granddaddy of concept art and the primary reason why sci-fi stuff looked better in the 80s.

These challenges do not expire, so you can submit work to any of them at any time. That means you can also check-out April's Design Challenge and give that one a shot as well.

Have fun!


damn i didnt know you guys do these kinds of things. do you recommend beginners like me to give these kind of challenges a shot? still trying to learn basic things like bodies like and anatomy


BBS Signature

At 5/2/21 02:45 AM, AnEvilHeat wrote: do you recommend beginners like me to give these kind of challenges a shot?

Of course! It's never too early to learn and practice good design.

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-05-03 20:35:04


ah this is a nice one.


we had a whole thread about this before a lil while back


https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1449762/1


we took it off site though because ...nobody new wanted to do it lol.


I'll get on it, had some stuff to explore with this theme anyways.



A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration/animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-05-04 00:13:46


At 5/3/21 08:35 PM, Template88 wrote: ah this is a nice one.

we had a whole thread about this before a lil while back

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1449762/1

we took it off site though because ...nobody new wanted to do it lol.

I'll get on it, had some stuff to explore with this theme anyways.

Ah wow, that's awesome! I wonder if the regulars on that would like to come flesh-out some environments and stuff, to make this a bit of a companion piece to all that fun character work.


Ah, I remember that thread. I wish we had something like that going again because that was purely entertaining.


Not space related but that reminds me of the battle royale threads as well.

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1429043/1

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-05-04 05:12:04


At 5/4/21 12:18 AM, PilotSpikey wrote: Ah, I remember that thread. I wish we had something like that going again because that was purely entertaining.


I'm thinking of making a pirate themed thread soon.


BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-05-05 21:08:26


Since environments typically take more time, I kinda expect it to be a little while before we see submissions coming in. In the meantime, since these challenges are all about teaching and learning, I'll post some tutorials that could help folks that are less comfortable with the subject matter get some ideas about shape language, balance and process.

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-05-06 13:38:23


At 5/2/21 02:09 AM, Skoops wrote: If you want some inspiration, I personally recommend the many works of Syd Mead, granddaddy of concept art and the primary reason why sci-fi stuff looked better in the 80s.

God, sci-fi really did look so much better in the 80s T_T


Sounds cool! If I got time between school assignments I might give it a shot!

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-05-10 02:40:43


If you guys aren't using a low-poly 3D program like Blender or Sketchup to build a base for a composition, you don't HAVE to, but boy howdy, it can speed up your process, especially when making a scene with a lot of precise angles and perspective. Here's a basic workflow that's similar to mine:



If you want to go the polar opposite route and go traditional and off the dome, I recommend thumbnailing: Keep your workspace small for the first step of designing a scene so it forces you to think of the entire composition as a whole.

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-05-17 18:06:08


iu_307723_5415977.webp

To make a good enough excuse to bump this thread, I guess I'll show a very very very rough draft of a build-a-drink kiosk. I don't ever do perspective drawings outside of DrawABox practices, so this is a new endeavor for me and something I definitely want to improve on.


Basically, this blender robot will take food ingredients you extracted during your previous adventures on various planets and combine them into a unique smoothie for your whole space crew. Silly idea, but this is what I was thinking of once I read the prompt.


I know the blender container is stupidly big, but it was a way to make things look more exciting. I will watch the provided videos later to do even more research.

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-05-18 00:25:41


At 5/17/21 06:06 PM, PilotSpikey wrote:
To make a good enough excuse to bump this thread, I guess I'll show a very very very rough draft of a build-a-drink kiosk. I don't ever do perspective drawings outside of DrawABox practices, so this is a new endeavor for me and something I definitely want to improve on.

Basically, this blender robot will take food ingredients you extracted during your previous adventures on various planets and combine them into a unique smoothie for your whole space crew. Silly idea, but this is what I was thinking of once I read the prompt.

I know the blender container is stupidly big, but it was a way to make things look more exciting. I will watch the provided videos later to do even more research.

Love the robot; he's got that certain special kind of energy

iu_307998_8048042.gif

Just imagining him gyrating and flailing while handling liquids. I approve.

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-05-18 00:36:05


At 5/18/21 12:25 AM, Skoops wrote:
At 5/17/21 06:06 PM, PilotSpikey wrote:
To make a good enough excuse to bump this thread, I guess I'll show a very very very rough draft of a build-a-drink kiosk. I don't ever do perspective drawings outside of DrawABox practices, so this is a new endeavor for me and something I definitely want to improve on.

Basically, this blender robot will take food ingredients you extracted during your previous adventures on various planets and combine them into a unique smoothie for your whole space crew. Silly idea, but this is what I was thinking of once I read the prompt.

I know the blender container is stupidly big, but it was a way to make things look more exciting. I will watch the provided videos later to do even more research.
Love the robot; he's got that certain special kind of energy

Just imagining him gyrating and flailing while handling liquids. I approve.


Inflatable dancers never crossed my mind when drawing it. That's hilarious.

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-06-01 05:56:42


pretty bummed out no one did this.

anyways, i kind of just used this as an excuse to flesh out my character Drifter, from that space thread i was talking about before. heres the base model and an animation example of how his "heat ray" differs in properties from a typical sci fi blaster

iu_319346_2341174.webp

iu_319347_2341174.gif


A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration/animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-06-01 05:58:22


iu_319348_2341174.gif

i tried to make a turn around of his ship, Hyperion, and a scene of the cockpit.

iu_319349_2341174.gif


A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration/animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-06-01 06:00:43


iu_319352_2341174.gifiu_319353_2341174.gif


and last but not least here's Drifter giving @xinxinix a bop.


A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration/animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930

BBS Signature

iu_323565_7789390.pngIt was Mermay so I thought I could get two birds with one stone. I remember The Fifth Element and how they still had McDonald's in the future. There's a Pizza Hut delivery boy delivering to a mermaid and her droid roommate. He travels the levels on a Halo-like structure on a jet scooter (I hope they can cover the bill).

Response to Design Challenge #2 - 05 2021 2021-06-08 02:34:13


At 6/6/21 01:39 AM, TealFluxxy wrote: It was Mermay so I thought I could get two birds with one stone. I remember The Fifth Element and how they still had McDonald's in the future. There's a Pizza Hut delivery boy delivering to a mermaid and her droid roommate. He travels the levels on a Halo-like structure on a jet scooter (I hope they can cover the bill).


Space mermaids is a new one for me, but lifeforms that can survive in liquid make a lot more sense than humans in space, honestly.