00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

4DottorTette7 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff

11,571 Views | 59 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Pixel Day Raffle

Pixel Day, January 23rd, with over $1,200 in prizes! You can participate by sharing your original pixel art, animation, games and chiptunes. Read the Pixel Day post for more information.

@Mabelma has created new sticker packs and is hosting a raffle to celebrate Pixel Day!

The raffle is open to US residents only. To enter, fill out this entry form. If you are under 18, you must have the permission of a parent or guardian before providing any personal info.

I’ve included a picture of the stickers at the bottom of this post. Friday Night Funkin’ fans won’t want to miss this!

End of Flash Stuff

Last week was the true End of Flash, where Flash was completely removed from browsers.

Newgrounds uses two different workarounds, Newgrounds Player, which you need to install on your computer, and Ruffle, which runs Flash in the browser without you having to do anything.

Currently we use Ruffle as much as possible and default to Newgrounds Player when Ruffle isn’t an option. If you are using a browser that supports Flash and want to stick with traditional Flash embeds, go to your account options and disable the toggle to “Use Newgrounds Player for Flash”, listed under the content display options.

Windows itself is blocking Flash, so if you use Newgrounds Player you will likely need to edit or replace a specific config file. Read this post for instructions concerning the config file. We’re looking into making this part of the install process.

@APace has also posted instructions for Firefox users to enable Flash, including Mac users.

We’ve been witnessing just about every use case imaginable, including people who ONLY want to use Newgrounds Player and people who ONLY want traditional Flash embeds. To address all this we will likely have to make a more complicated menu of options. We’re trying to give people options without making the whole thing too confusing.

More About Ruffle and Flash Preservation

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

I’ve been keeping spreadsheets of movies that don’t work and AS2 games that don’t work and have already disabled Ruffle on those.

If you find anything that is trying to run with Ruffle but doesn’t work, please note it in the Ruffle Testing / Flash Preservation Crew thread.

You can also test Ruffle on content where it isn’t enabled by adding “/format/flash?emulate=flash” to the end of the URL. If you find something that works, let us know in the testing thread! A good example would be AS2 games released after July, 2006.

If you’re wondering where to start, our hubs let you browse by specific date ranges. For example here are the games from July 1st, 2006 to January 1st, 2008, ranked by views. Choose “Custom” in the Range dropdown to set parameters like this - if you want to commit to checking a specific date range, you could note it in the testing thread so other users are encouraged to pursue a different range.

We also have a thumbnail crew thread if you’d like to help update thumbnails with higher resolution source images.

Any help with this stuff is greatly appreciated; it’s a lot of material to sort through!

Other Events

NG is hosting a Flash Forward Jam. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers this January thanks to Ruffle, after Flash has been officially removed. Over $2,600 in prizes!

@Xinxinix is hosting a Sexiest Outfit Art Contest and Concept of Love Art Contest.

@SevenSeizeHasCookies is hosting a Valentine’s Day-Themed Writing Contest.

@littlbox has created a new littlMix!

I've been holding off on making daily posts because I want to be sure as many people as possible read about the ongoing Flash changes. I'm also dealing with a lot of PMs and emails from people who aren't reading these posts but want to run Flash. Thank you everyone who has been helping people in the Where Is / How To forum!

iu_226452_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 09:31:10

Ok so I'm a boomer with zero ruffle knowledge----- I have 2 super old games here that no longer run. Will they never run again or do I try adding the extension after as mentioned above

I AM CONFUSED AND ITS TIME FOR MY MEDS PLEASE CALL MY NURSE

It's the Seven's Adventure games

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 09:38:32

At 1/17/21 09:31 AM, SevenSeizeHasCookies wrote: Ok so I'm a boomer with zero ruffle knowledge----- I have 2 super old games here that no longer run. Will they never run again or do I try adding the extension after as mentioned above

I've enabled Ruffle on both of these and they appear to work fine so far! I didn't play them all the way through so you might want to test them.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 09:41:13

At 1/17/21 09:38 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/17/21 09:31 AM, SevenSeizeHasCookies wrote: Ok so I'm a boomer with zero ruffle knowledge----- I have 2 super old games here that no longer run. Will they never run again or do I try adding the extension after as mentioned above

I've enabled Ruffle on both of these and they appear to work fine so far! I didn't play them all the way through so you might want to test them.

Thank you!!!!!

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 09:49:13

At 1/17/21 09:41 AM, SevenSeizeHasCookies wrote:
At 1/17/21 09:38 AM, TomFulp wrote: I've enabled Ruffle on both of these and they appear to work fine so far! I didn't play them all the way through so you might want to test them.
Thank you!!!!!

This lead me down a Magical-Zorse rabbit hole and now ALL his games are running via Ruffle!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 10:35:29

Thank you, flash forever)

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 10:36:51

I'm still trying to find the time to work on my Flash Forward Jam entry, but it's looking rough. January specifically just has been hell cause I've adopted a new schedule for Renaine work that's like, a gajillion times more intense, and then started streaming that work too. Streams are going great and Renaine is going faster than ever, but it means I really don't have time for side projects to the side project. I wanna realize Cheesecake RPG but man, I just don't have the time this month :(

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 10:46:00

general question for experienced people

i've been playing around with flash cs6 + as2 for a bit over the weekend and i've found myself really enjoying it. the only experience i have making games is something dumb i started on in plain js a while ago and something in haxeflixel that didn't see the light of day. so at the moment, i can see myself working with flash more as it's surprisingly intuitive.

with advent of ruffle providing pretty solid as2 support, what do you think is the general future of using flash as a means to produce new content? i've seen the flash jam so i guess i'm wondering if that is a one off thing or will there still be things in the future geared towards flash specifically lik is there some kind of theoretical roadmap regarding flash/as2? say for instance that ruffle fully supports flash emulation, is that the final stop in the road?

hey

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 10:46:14

join the thumbnail crew!

At 1/17/21 10:46 AM, crink wrote: general question for experienced people

i've been playing around with flash cs6 + as2 for a bit over the weekend and i've found myself really enjoying it. the only experience i have making games is something dumb i started on in plain js a while ago and something in haxeflixel that didn't see the light of day. so at the moment, i can see myself working with flash more as it's surprisingly intuitive.

with advent of ruffle providing pretty solid as2 support, what do you think is the general future of using flash as a means to produce new content? i've seen the flash jam so i guess i'm wondering if that is a one off thing or will there still be things in the future geared towards flash specifically lik is there some kind of theoretical roadmap regarding flash/as2? say for instance that ruffle fully supports flash emulation, is that the final stop in the road?

I say go for it, the "works on ruffle" checkbox in project settings isnt going anywhere. AS2 isnt FULLY supported yet so some features you may want to avoid for now.

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 10:56:50

At 1/17/21 10:46 AM, crink wrote: with advent of ruffle providing pretty solid as2 support, what do you think is the general future of using flash as a means to produce new content? i've seen the flash jam so i guess i'm wondering if that is a one off thing or will there still be things in the future geared towards flash specifically lik is there some kind of theoretical roadmap regarding flash/as2? say for instance that ruffle fully supports flash emulation, is that the final stop in the road?

It's a weird one for me because it never feels like good advice to encourage someone to get into AS2, since it's a dead language.

On the other hand I love AS2 and I bet there are lots of people out there who could end up ONLY making games with AS2 because the Flash IDE / AS2 combo is what clicks for their brain.

If you make games with AS2, it should be a safe bet they will keep working on the web thanks to Ruffle. You could make more optimized games with something like PixiJS or other frameworks / IDEs... But they might not click the same.

It seems like the potential is there for games supported by Ruffle to ultimately end up in places other than the web, for example packaged up as executables for Steam or console. I don't know if that would ever happen, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 11:03:09

At 1/17/21 10:36 AM, squidly wrote: I'm still trying to find the time to work on my Flash Forward Jam entry, but it's looking rough. January specifically just has been hell cause I've adopted a new schedule for Renaine work that's like, a gajillion times more intense, and then started streaming that work too. Streams are going great and Renaine is going faster than ever, but it means I really don't have time for side projects to the side project. I wanna realize Cheesecake RPG but man, I just don't have the time this month :(

I wonder if everyone would be down to have the jam extended, since that has come up a few times. Maybe we could finally get a proper promo art piece done for it too and give people until the end of February...?

Still hoping to personally get a game out this month!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 11:04:50

At least one person has been reported to have saved 35K flash games.

I do not have any info on how Armor Games is doing.

Flash Flash Revolution is still running.

A program called ADOBE AIR I believe has been used, but I never tried it.

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 11:05:19

I’d be down to extend it, I want to try my hand at a Mr.Mabs dress ‘em up to go along with the Comic Reader App.!

At 1/17/21 11:03 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/17/21 10:36 AM, squidly wrote: I'm still trying to find the time to work on my Flash Forward Jam entry, but it's looking rough. January specifically just has been hell cause I've adopted a new schedule for Renaine work that's like, a gajillion times more intense, and then started streaming that work too. Streams are going great and Renaine is going faster than ever, but it means I really don't have time for side projects to the side project. I wanna realize Cheesecake RPG but man, I just don't have the time this month :(
I wonder if everyone would be down to have the jam extended, since that has come up a few times. Maybe we could finally get a proper promo art piece done for it too and give people until the end of February...?

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 11:06:25

New and old were meant to coexist, not replace.

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 11:13:36

Yea February would help a lot, it's just man I've been tanked this month o_o

No matter what, I'd probably have to downscale the project and make it more manageable. I sorta wish I could just make it a regular ol' silly flash animation, so I'm thinking I'll consider adding more of that to the game. I dunno, we'll see...

Click the Squid -> 🦑

At 1/17/21 10:56 AM, TomFulp wrote: It's a weird one for me because it never feels like good advice to encourage someone to get into AS2, since it's a dead language.

On the other hand I love AS2 and I bet there are lots of people out there who could end up ONLY making games with AS2 because the Flash IDE / AS2 combo is what clicks for their brain.

to me, flash is still cool because the number of games/movies i watched as a kid is countless so it's still got that kind of magic allure to it. i don't really mind learning something dead if it still works fine (though actually getting a copy of flash is annoying) and i can plod along with it and have fun. i write javascript for work so as2 is seeming quite familiar to me from the offset

If you make games with AS2, it should be a safe bet they will keep working on the web thanks to Ruffle. You could make more optimized games with something like PixiJS or other frameworks / IDEs... But they might not click the same.

It seems like the potential is there for games supported by Ruffle to ultimately end up in places other than the web, for example packaged up as executables for Steam or console. I don't know if that would ever happen, though.

that bottom bit is what i'm mainly curious about. would ruffle complete support for flash essentially be the end of the line?i.e. would it/has it been relegated to a stagnant status that doesn't attract new people in the future? like purely spitballing, do you think there could ever be a resurgence in it? i don't really have a feel for the number of people who actively make stuff in flash still so i'm not sure what the types of demand is/would be

i guess it's just a shame that something as cool as flash has been left behind

to be honest, i kinda missed that first announcement of the flash jam and learned about it while reading the end of flash post(s). though i'm not sure there if there are other people in the same boat as my attention span is all over the place

hey

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 11:53:54

I'm down for an extension, but I guess that means that the rules might have to be changed a little so that people who submitted a game for Pixel Day will be eligible to use the same submission for Flash Forward - as I recall talk about being able to submit to both contests at the same time a while back.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 12:03:46

@Mabelma has created new sticker packs and is hosting a raffle to celebrate Pixel Day!

The raffle is open to US residents only. To enter, fill out this entry form. If you are under 18, you must have the permission of a parent or guardian before providing any personal info.

I’ve included a picture of the stickers at the bottom of this post. Friday Night Funkin’ fans won’t want to miss this!

those damn stickers better be made available to buy somewhere after this, I need to get a holda those..

Come on down to Fulpstation, baby

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 12:07:04

At 1/17/21 12:03 PM, Snackers wrote:

those damn stickers better be made available to buy somewhere after this, I need to get a holda those..

Hahahaha as far as I know these are the only ones being made right now, but if PhantomArcade or Tom wants me to print more for them so they can sell that’d be awesome.

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 12:14:10

At 1/17/21 12:07 PM, Mabelma wrote:

Hahahaha as far as I know these are the only ones being made right now, but if PhantomArcade or Tom wants me to print more for them so they can sell that’d be awesome.

I tell ya, those lads would want to get merch like that in soon enough, i've already begun seeing bootleg stuff pop up around the place lol

Come on down to Fulpstation, baby

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 12:31:08

Hell yea, i might actually have time then!

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 12:34:03

At 1/17/21 10:46 AM, crink wrote: with advent of ruffle providing pretty solid as2 support, what do you think is the general future of using flash as a means to produce new content? i've seen the flash jam so i guess i'm wondering if that is a one off thing or will there still be things in the future geared towards flash specifically lik is there some kind of theoretical roadmap regarding flash/as2? say for instance that ruffle fully supports flash emulation, is that the final stop in the road?

As it seems right now there's really no reason not to make Flash content in the future too. :) Ruffle doesn't support everything yet but seems to run well with a lot of AS1/2 work in particular, and should hopefully just be getting better and better moving onward.

Considering the sandbox in regards security and how a plugin's no longer required to play Flash content with it (as long as sites integrate the script themselves) it seems way better than before too. No need for continual updates on a per-user basis, more so on a per-site basis. All the benefits of the old format but way more (hopefully) efficient and safe now.

You'll always be able to export games as standalone .exe files as well, if you want to take it beyond NG or the Internet in large. I personally hope this gets way more people working with Flash again. Apart from some troublesome malicious files and what-not I really just have positive associations to the format. Such a file-size efficient one too.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 12:49:21

Aw man, them US limitations again. Though the stickers do look awesome... would be cool if International reach for stuff like this could be a thing with maybe extra shipping charge paid by end-user for anyone who wants to join in from elsewhere? If it's just a cost thing?

At 1/17/21 11:03 AM, TomFulp wrote: Maybe we could finally get a proper promo art piece done for it too and give people until the end of February...?

Flash Forward Jam followed by some All Flash February? ;) I like the extension idea. Not that I was planning on making anything overly ambitious either way and feel like I thereof have a say but: January is running away really quick now...

Hype!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 13:07:33

At 1/17/21 09:18 AM, TomFulp wrote: Pixel Day Raffle

Pixel Day, January 23rd, with over $1,200 in prizes! You can participate by sharing your original pixel art, animation, games and chiptunes. Read the Pixel Day post for more information.

End of Flash Stuff

Last week was the true End of Flash, where Flash was completely removed from browsers.

Newgrounds uses two different workarounds, Newgrounds Player, which you need to install on your computer, and Ruffle, which runs Flash in the browser without you having to do anything.

Currently we use Ruffle as much as possible and default to Newgrounds Player when Ruffle isn’t an option. If you are using a browser that supports Flash and want to stick with traditional Flash embeds, go to your account options and disable the toggle to “Use Newgrounds Player for Flash”, listed under the content display options.

Windows itself is blocking Flash, so if you use Newgrounds Player you will likely need to edit or replace a specific config file. Read this post for instructions concerning the config file. We’re looking into making this part of the install process.

@APace has also posted instructions for Firefox users to enable Flash, including Mac users.

We’ve been witnessing just about every use case imaginable, including people who ONLY want to use Newgrounds Player and people who ONLY want traditional Flash embeds. To address all this we will likely have to make a more complicated menu of options. We’re trying to give people options without making the whole thing too confusing.

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

I’ve been keeping spreadsheets of movies that don’t work and AS2 games that don’t work and have already disabled Ruffle on those.

If you find anything that is trying to run with Ruffle but doesn’t work, please note it in the Ruffle Testing / Flash Preservation Crew thread.

You can also test Ruffle on content where it isn’t enabled by adding “/format/flash?emulate=flash” to the end of the URL. If you find something that works, let us know in the testing thread! A good example would be AS2 games released after July, 2006.

If you’re wondering where to start, our hubs let you browse by specific date ranges. For example here are the games from July 1st, 2006 to January 1st, 2008, ranked by views. Choose “Custom” in the Range dropdown to set parameters like this - if you want to commit to checking a specific date range, you could note it in the testing thread so other users are encouraged to pursue a different range.

We also have a thumbnail crew thread if you’d like to help update thumbnails with higher resolution source images.

Any help with this stuff is greatly appreciated; it’s a lot of material to sort through!

Other Events

NG is hosting a Flash Forward Jam. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers this January thanks to Ruffle, after Flash has been officially removed. Over $2,600 in prizes!

@Xinxinix is hosting a Sexiest Outfit Art Contest and Concept of Love Art Contest.

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/996717

I've been holding off on making daily posts because I want to be sure as many people as possible read about the ongoing Flash changes. I'm also dealing with a lot of PMs and emails from people who aren't reading these posts but want to run Flash. Thank you everyone who has been helping people in the Where Is / How To forum!

i need those stickers

we do a little trollin

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 13:08:52

Security reasons my ass.

Remember GWX and all that shit?

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 15:03:21

Good luck on the raffle 🙌

At 1/17/21 01:07 PM, linkous101 wrote:
At 1/17/21 09:18 AM, TomFulp wrote: Pixel Day Raffle

End of Flash Stuff

Other Events

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/996717

i need those stickers

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 15:06:48

Yeah we did a worldwide giveaway for the NeoGeo Jam but I got a bunch of packages returned, either they didn’t go through custom for whatever reason or the address wasn’t right. Ended up paying like $45 on a package only to have it redelivered :/

If you’re willing to pay for shipping worldwide if you win, feel free to enter the raffle.

At 1/17/21 12:49 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Aw man, them US limitations again. Though the stickers do look awesome... would be cool if International reach for stuff like this could be a thing with maybe extra shipping charge paid by end-user for anyone who wants to join in from elsewhere? If it's just a cost thing?

At 1/17/21 11:03 AM, TomFulp wrote: Maybe we could finally get a proper promo art piece done for it too and give people until the end of February...?
Flash Forward Jam followed by some All Flash February? ;) I like the extension idea. Not that I was planning on making anything overly ambitious either way and feel like I thereof have a say but: January is running away really quick now...

Hype!

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 15:08:45

How do you save a flash files as an .exe? I’d love to take the Comic Reader to an executable and package it with some useful customization info.

At 1/17/21 12:34 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
As it seems right now there's really no reason not to make Flash content in the future too. :) Ruffle doesn't support everything yet but seems to run well with a lot of AS1/2 work in particular, and should hopefully just be getting better and better moving onward.

Considering the sandbox in regards security and how a plugin's no longer required to play Flash content with it (as long as sites integrate the script themselves) it seems way better than before too. No need for continual updates on a per-user basis, more so on a per-site basis. All the benefits of the old format but way more (hopefully) efficient and safe now.

You'll always be able to export games as standalone .exe files as well, if you want to take it beyond NG or the Internet in large. I personally hope this gets way more people working with Flash again. Apart from some troublesome malicious files and what-not I really just have positive associations to the format. Such a file-size efficient one too.

Response to Pixel Day Raffle & End of Flash Stuff 2021-01-17 15:09:58

I’m down to be their supplier foh sure.

At 1/17/21 12:14 PM, Snackers wrote:
At 1/17/21 12:07 PM, Mabelma wrote:

I tell ya, those lads would want to get merch like that in soon enough, i've already begun seeing bootleg stuff pop up around the place lol