00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

The End of Flash

14,702 Views | 122 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 18:52:08 (edited 2021-01-13 18:55:01)

Rest in peace my friend, see you again!

I put an african elephant in my fridge but I don't know how to get it out...

I'm usually over here.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 22:04:02

Can SWF files be converted to another type?

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 23:13:10

well. i found last version of flash without build-in killswitch. Here link to download it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200726172212/https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp_32.0.0.371_archive.zip

In waterfox classic this version works.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-14 00:41:43

At 1/13/21 05:52 PM, GonzaloAtWork wrote:
At 1/13/21 01:42 AM, enigman69 wrote: may sound weird, but i backed up like every old NG swf dating back to 1999 on my hard drive and a ton of flash games. i figured one day this would happen!
Wow, really? You should consider contacting with the Ruffle team.

You could very well have a pice of lost media in your hard drive!

For sure! I can post a dropbox link to what i have this week.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-14 03:09:39

At 1/13/21 11:37 AM, BobbyBurt wrote:
At 1/12/21 05:22 PM, JoeSketchConcepts-NG wrote: In a decade or two from now. This will happen all over again when HTML5 becomes obsolete.
All the content and media that is being happily created with HTML5, Will feel the same exact suffering Adobe Flash is feeling at this moment.
I don't think so. I was reading Steve Jobs' Thoughts on Flash letter and he makes the comparison between Flash being closed and HTML5 being open. Flash dies when Adobe, who controls the software for creating and playing the content, decides they don't want to support it. HTML5 will become obsolete, but it won't be purged in the same way.

Sure, but HTML5 was horrible and didn't bring in quite as much creative content as Flash did...

im a loser baby so why dont you freak me

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-14 03:11:52

At 1/12/21 02:24 PM, squidly wrote: People putting so much effort into erasing Flash as if it's a bad thing we need to move beyond. I fucking hate these silicon valley types. They need to get a reality check.

Hopefully there's some military/govt system that's reliant on Flash so they immediately realize what they've done and spend millions trying to fix/update it.

well this reminds me of horrid memories of my country's military websites containing spyware ads back in 2000s....

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-14 03:19:16

At 1/12/21 08:06 PM, Peruraptor wrote: Is the NG Player usable on older Windows Operating systems? I clung onto Windows 7 and desktop flash still works fine (though so does the browser version since I froze updates for both Firefox and Flash Player a few years ago in preparation). Also is a OS X Version of the NG Player in the cards? On Sierra at least desktop flash player still runs fine.

One thing I've noticed as I've been downloading SWF files that no-one really talks about is how memory efficient they are compared other movie/game storage methods. A MP4 file usually takes up over 10 times the memory of a comparable SWF file even at modest pixel counts, and will generally look worse because flash scales much better with higher resolution monitors due to being vector based. It's almost like the digital media equivalent of film in that way. The largest SWF files tend to be the ones that use a lot of high resolution Bitmaps, JPEGs, and the like.

Does ruffle only work properly on more up to date browsers? I stopped running current versions of browsers a while ago to avoid the flash preventing updates but the flash player on my Macbook wasn't old enough to lack the killswitch so keeping them in that condition is probably pointless now, unless recent Firefox updates have changed how the Web Info/Inspector works/stopped recognizing SWF files altogether. On Safari (Version 12.1.2) the file plays but you can't interact with anything, while on Firefox (Version 61.0.2) it gets stuck loading until the browser says it's taking up too much memory.

WEBM works just as well as Flash for compression of videos/animation, but its underlying VP9 codec is CPU intensive. I kinda hate Youtube for moving on to VP9 years ago, it made HD videos lag on my potahto laptop. And now Youtube wants to introduce AV1 which is an even bigger resource hog than VP9.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-14 17:02:39

At 1/13/21 10:04 PM, wildfire4461 wrote: Can SWF files be converted to another type?

They can be converted to standalone EXE programs.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-14 22:52:11

iu_225413_4029620.jpg

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-15 03:51:16

I have been playing Flash games for over 20 years. Goodbye my long time friend.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-15 13:29:31 (edited 2021-01-15 13:38:45)

At 1/12/21 08:06 PM, Peruraptor wrote: Does ruffle only work properly on more up to date browsers?

Ruffle doesn't work on Chrome 51, flash does.

There's no fallback if ruffled isn't supported.

I tested the killswitch function before they (adobe) decided to pull the flash archive page (and access altogether).

At 1/12/21 08:06 PM, Peruraptor wrote: memory efficient they are compared other movie/game storage methods.

True, flash runs on pretty much everything and vector based 'movies' can't really be 'stored' in any other format AS VECTORS that are more compatible than flash.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-16 05:24:16

At 1/12/21 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/12/21 12:48 PM, dclxvi-satan wrote: There's another workaround different from https://sonucais.newgrounds.com/news/post/1137244 that suggests uninstalling updates (that's generally a bad idea) - edit Flash's config file mms.cfg.
Thank you for sharing this! I've updated the original post to include it and we'll look into this as part of the NG Player install process.

If you need the place to plop those mms.cfg files on Linux, they are

The places to drop those mms.cfg files on Linux are

(for Chrome)

~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash/System/mms.cfg

(you'll have to create the nonexistent System directory)

(for Firefox/PaleMoon/Waterfox)

~/.adobe/mms.cfg

(you'll have to create the nonexistent ~/.adobe directory)

Alternately you can do it system-wide (for Firefox/PaleMoon/Waterfox)

/etc/adobe/mms.cfg

(you'll have to create the nonexistent adobe directory)

Linux users, enjoy!

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-16 05:30:14

Also, do not click any of those mms.cfg links in my post.

Newgrounds annoyingly makes them into clickable URLs. Instead they should be text only. I have no idea what that website is.

@TomFulp could you maybe look into making text *not* auto-convert to links? I'm pretty sure if someone wanted a link they'd just click the link button to make it into one.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-16 12:29:27

At 1/12/21 10:56 AM, kruno5gaming wrote: For Adobe Flash users I recommend'em to write this after they entered the submission:

/format/flash?emulate=flash

At 1/12/21 10:56 AM, Urichov wrote: Wait Flash is dying?
Actually yes. :( , now Flash is obsolete

When will you bring back Turd of the week? That poop trophy really misses me either :<

turd of the week was such a hit back in the day!

In The Meantime...Why Not Follow Me?

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-16 13:07:52

The newground reader turnaround works well for games on this website, but is there a way to use if for games stored on my computer?

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-16 13:15:18

At 1/16/21 01:07 PM, mat1er wrote: The newground reader turnaround works well for games on this website, but is there a way to use if for games stored on my computer?

You should be able to use the traditional Flash projector exe to run those.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-16 17:01:06

I sincerely hope Ruffle saves the day. Flash was a big part of my childhood and teen years.

Thank you to everyone who's working to preserve flash content for future generations. You guys are the best.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-17 04:48:09

I apologize for the duplicate, as I've made this a post too, but I'm not sure it'll get seen, and I'm just trying to help people. If you need flash to work in firefox in 2021 and beyond, find your mms.cfg, copy and paste the text below, and refresh. Works great on my Mac so far

#

#

#

# Disable Automatic Updates

AutoUpdateDisable=1

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

# Disable prompts to uninstall Flash Player

EOLUninstallDisable = 1

# duplicate actionscript console output

# in browser's console for javascript

TraceOutputEcho=1

# Enable the AllowList feature

EnableAllowList=1

# Normally, the allow list blocks URL requests

# unless the url matches a pattern in the list.

# In preview mode, all requests go unblocked,

# but console output is written for each request

# indicating which pattern it matched or that

# no match was found.

AllowListPreview=1

# if you should choose to make AllowListPreview=0

# Pattern to enable Your Legacy Flash Web App:

AllowListUrlPattern=http://wa.zozuar.org/

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-17 10:57:04 (edited 2021-01-17 11:07:54)

A sad day today but... all recent Flash-longevity efforts considered I don't really feel sad at all. Feels like we're at the start of a new era that's possibly way better than the last one. With Flash still alive, but without any of those pesky security issues of the past. Potentially in time all the better in all possible ways. Faster, lighter, with support for all kinds of devices and systems and all... probably an incredible amount of work being done on the back-end to make all this happen but: it feels like an inspiring time to be alive! May Flash live forever!

At 1/12/21 02:24 PM, squidly wrote: Hopefully there's some military/govt system that's reliant on Flash so they immediately realize what they've done and spend millions trying to fix/update it.

Not that they'd ever let people know if there was but I do hope Adobe are feeling the heat right now. :) Potential court case for matters of national security hmm, one can dream...

At 1/16/21 01:07 PM, mat1er wrote: The newground reader turnaround works well for games on this website, but is there a way to use if for games stored on my computer?

Should also be possible to load any regular .swf file with the NG Player. Just go via the File > Load/Open menu and choose any file you want to play.

At 1/13/21 10:04 PM, wildfire4461 wrote: Can SWF files be converted to another type?

Shouldn't be difficult with animations: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/animation-resources/swivel-flash-to-video

...but games seem like a different thing. If you have the source files it'd be possible to export as either HTML5 game or standalone .exe, but decompilers don't seem to work that well if you don't. With Ruffle though: should be OK.

At 1/14/21 12:41 AM, enigman69 wrote: For sure! I can post a dropbox link to what i have this week.

Would love to see this too. :)

The latest: Hexa #66 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-21 04:16:50

At 1/16/21 05:01 PM, Orange55 wrote: I sincerely hope Ruffle saves the day. Flash was a big part of my childhood and teen years.

Thank you to everyone who's working to preserve flash content for future generations. You guys are the best.

Ruffle should really help us to save Flash. Flash may be down, but it is defiantly not out.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-22 08:24:13

At 1/17/21 04:48 AM, APace wrote: I apologize for the duplicate, as I've made this a post too, but I'm not sure it'll get seen, and I'm just trying to help people. If you need flash to work in firefox in 2021 and beyond, find your mms.cfg, copy and paste the text below, and refresh. Works great on my Mac so far

#
#
#
# Disable Automatic Updates
AutoUpdateDisable=1
SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0
# Disable prompts to uninstall Flash Player
EOLUninstallDisable = 1
# duplicate actionscript console output
# in browser's console for javascript
TraceOutputEcho=1
# Enable the AllowList feature
EnableAllowList=1
# Normally, the allow list blocks URL requests
# unless the url matches a pattern in the list.
# In preview mode, all requests go unblocked,
# but console output is written for each request
# indicating which pattern it matched or that
# no match was found.
AllowListPreview=1
# if you should choose to make AllowListPreview=0
# Pattern to enable Your Legacy Flash Web App:
AllowListUrlPattern=http://wa.zozuar.org/

I don't understand how I can do this please help on mac trying this

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-22 15:24:29

At 1/22/21 08:24 AM, AriesBro wrote: I don't understand how I can do this please help on mac trying this

Don't. I wouldn't trust whatever site he has in that AllowListUrlPattern. Certainly no site I know of, so seems sketch. Just use the file linked from the blog post on the first page of the thread.

Also unfortunately it no longer works in latest versions of Chrome, even with workarounds. So use the workarounds and use either Waterfox or PaleMoon browser.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-26 10:49:04

At 1/12/21 02:20 PM, SomefatfuckWiththein wrote:
At 1/12/21 10:52 AM, TomFulp wrote: Today is the “true” End of Flash day, where Flash no longer works in browsers.

We had prepared for this with Newgrounds Player but there was a new surprise waiting for us this morning; Microsoft made several Windows updates over the past year that now block Flash completely from running on Windows.

@Sonucais shared a way to get Flash working if you want to be daring BUT since this post was made, @dclxvi-satan made a config file edit suggestion that appears to be a better alternative. We'll be looking into this with an NG Player update, as well.

There will likely be more tricks and counter-measures to come but at this point a lot of Flash content will be on a hiatus until it is supported by Ruffle, the open-source Flash emulator we’re using to already run a lot of Flash content in the browser.

Today I enabled Ruffle on more of my own games. Both Dad ‘n Me and The Room Tribute are now running via Ruffle, despite a lack of SetVolume support that will be addressed in a future update. You’ll notice music and some sounds don’t crossfade correctly at the moment.

I’ve also enabled Ruffle for Madness Accelerant, which likely runs fine on newer computers. Ruffle is currently focused on compatibility vs speed optimizations; expect things to run better and better over time.

I’ve created a Ruffle Testing / Flash Preservation Crew for people who would like to help test Flash content with Ruffle.

It seems like an insane effort is going towards erasing Flash from history, the same way an insane effort is going into preserving it. We have a path forward and progress will be steady. It will be exciting to see more and more classic content return to the web in the months to come, thanks to the efforts of the Ruffle team and everyone who helps test compatibility.

I feel like I should have more to say today but this is life; you keep moving forward.

More About Ruffle and Flash Preservation

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

Community News

The Best of December were announced this week! $900 in prizes were awarded and the Tankmas ADVENTure team donated theirs to our Drawing Tablet Giveaway. If you know an artist who is in need of a tablet, let them know applications are still open.

The top animation based on original material in January will win $250 and the top three games based on original material will each win $100.

Pixel Day, January 23rd, with almost $1,200 in prizes!

NG is hosting a Flash Forward Jam. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers this January thanks to Ruffle, after Flash has been officially removed. Over $2,600 in prizes!

@Xinxinix is hosting a Sexiest Outfit Art Contest and Concept of Love Art Contest.

@SevenSeizeHasCookies is hosting a Valentine’s Day-Themed Writing Contest.

@Xinxinix made a great series of Best of 2020 Playlists.

Read this week’s edition of The Tank Tribune!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/777537
Rest in peace flash
1996-2021
don’t be sad it’s ending be happy it started
(yes I reposted this so what)

Now Flash can finally be with Macromedia again

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-02-03 03:27:10

About 75 percent of Flash still works for me. Mostly, the older stuff still will not load.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-02-03 22:49:25

At 1/12/21 12:48 PM, dclxvi-satan wrote: There's another workaround different from https://sonucais.newgrounds.com/news/post/1137244 that suggests uninstalling updates (that's generally a bad idea) - edit Flash's config file mms.cfg.

Reference:
https://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide.html

I'm running Adobe Flash 32.0.0.465 on Windows 10 x64 (same trick works on my old PC with Windows 7 x64).
After making changes in the config - both browser's Flash plugin works (while it is still supported by the browser), as well as Newgrounds Player.

My settings in mms.cfg specific for Newgrounds:

can you make a tutorial

Response to The End of Flash 2021-02-03 22:57:19

At 1/12/21 10:52 AM, TomFulp wrote: Today is the “true” End of Flash day, where Flash no longer works in browsers.

We had prepared for this with Newgrounds Player but there was a new surprise waiting for us this morning; Microsoft made several Windows updates over the past year that now block Flash completely from running on Windows.

@Sonucais shared a way to get Flash working if you want to be daring BUT since this post was made, @dclxvi-satan made a config file edit suggestion that appears to be a better alternative. We'll be looking into this with an NG Player update, as well.

Jan 13 Update: Sonucais consolidated the best info into his post, which has a clear guide to get Flash working.

There will likely be more tricks and counter-measures to come but at this point a lot of Flash content will be on a hiatus until it is supported by Ruffle, the open-source Flash emulator we’re using to already run a lot of Flash content in the browser.

Today I enabled Ruffle on more of my own games. Both Dad ‘n Me and The Room Tribute are now running via Ruffle, despite a lack of SetVolume support that will be addressed in a future update. You’ll notice music and some sounds don’t crossfade correctly at the moment.

I’ve also enabled Ruffle for Madness Accelerant, which likely runs fine on newer computers. Ruffle is currently focused on compatibility vs speed optimizations; expect things to run better and better over time.

I’ve created a Ruffle Testing / Flash Preservation Crew for people who would like to help test Flash content with Ruffle.

It seems like an insane effort is going towards erasing Flash from history, the same way an insane effort is going into preserving it. We have a path forward and progress will be steady. It will be exciting to see more and more classic content return to the web in the months to come, thanks to the efforts of the Ruffle team and everyone who helps test compatibility.

I feel like I should have more to say today but this is life; you keep moving forward.

More About Ruffle and Flash Preservation

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

Community News

The Best of December were announced this week! $900 in prizes were awarded and the Tankmas ADVENTure team donated theirs to our Drawing Tablet Giveaway. If you know an artist who is in need of a tablet, let them know applications are still open.

The top animation based on original material in January will win $250 and the top three games based on original material will each win $100.

Pixel Day, January 23rd, with almost $1,200 in prizes!

NG is hosting a Flash Forward Jam. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers this January thanks to Ruffle, after Flash has been officially removed. Over $2,600 in prizes!

@Xinxinix is hosting a Sexiest Outfit Art Contest and Concept of Love Art Contest.

@SevenSeizeHasCookies is hosting a Valentine’s Day-Themed Writing Contest.

@Xinxinix made a great series of Best of 2020 Playlists.

Read this week’s edition of The Tank Tribune!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/777537

apparently you can use these steps i found on this youtube video

https://youtu.be/MRfAtSAlXYk

Response to The End of Flash 2021-02-13 19:00:46

At 1/12/21 10:56 AM, kruno5gaming wrote: For Adobe Flash users I recommend 'em to write this after they entered the submission:

/format/flash?emulate=flash

At 1/12/21 10:56 AM, Urichov wrote: Wait Flash is dying?
Actually yes. :( , now Flash is obsolete

When will you bring back Turd of the week? That poop trophy really misses me either :<

There's ruffle, but sometimes it doesn't work that way.

Amber Madison

Response to The End of Flash 2021-02-18 22:46:10

except trying to uninstall some of the flash player "updates" to windows 10, I have tried every solution under the sun shown in newgrounds to get flash working for me, to get the newgrounds player working for me. Nothing I've done has worked, not even using the torrent archive of older adobe flash installers from archive.org worked, not even the compat troubleshooter on the active_x installer has worked (always error 1722 no matter what, and yes, flash is totally uninstalled, sanitized, scrubbed from my OS)

Response to The End of Flash 2021-02-21 19:52:25

That shouldn't be a major issue, I keep a fairly good laptop only for fun. No personal emails, no banking on it, nothing. If it gets infected, wipe, reinstall. Flash won't really die.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-02-23 01:49:46

At 2/21/21 07:52 PM, Esial wrote: That shouldn't be a major issue, I keep a fairly good laptop only for fun. No personal emails, no banking on it, nothing. If it gets infected, wipe, reinstall. Flash won't really die.

Very smart idea. Lucky to have an extra good laptop around.

BBS Signature