00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Hi! I’m here waving at you this weekend because we’re hoping to continue to move Newgrounds away from ads. If you have $3 per month or $25 per year to spare, please consider becoming a Supporter today!

Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd!

2,892 Views | 21 Replies
Respond to this Topic

January 23rd is Pixel Day on Newgrounds!

You can participate by making original pixel art, animation, games or chiptunes. Publish your entry on January 23rd and include the "pixelday2021" tag.

If you’re a pixel artist who has never shared your work on NG, we’d love to see you join in! You can enter multiple categories or submit multiple entries. You can also team up with friends to make stuff. You can upload something you already made if you’ve never shared it on NG.

Fan art is fine, if the art is your own original pixel work and not sprites ripped from games.

If you’re making a movie or game, try partnering with someone making chiptunes on NG! We can’t host content with unlicensed commercial music, so avoid using songs you don’t have permission to use. Here are some music resources.

The prizes will continue to grow with support from the community. If you’re down to sponsor, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards Pixel Day. Current prizes:

Movies

1st - $170

2nd - $110

3rd - $85

Games

1st - $170

2nd - $110

3rd - $100

Art

1st - $100

2nd - $75

3rd - $50

Music

1st - $125

2nd - $100

3rd - $75

We also have five keys to give out for ASEprite! We will be hand-selecting five candidates from the top entries and offering them keys. ASEprite is great for pixel artists!

Current Pixel Day sponsors are @JohnnyGuy $200, @AnonymousAlchemist $200, @SrPelo $100, @SantaSeven $100, @Manderby $100, @1DarkVoid $75, @53xy83457 $50, @Butzbo $25, @AKA-38CAUTION $10 and @Wegra $10, with NG tossing in $400.

Community News

On Thursday I posted a 2020 Newgrounds Retrospective. Please give it a read! Also read PsychoGoldfish’s retrospective because it’s really good.

ALToons is looking for voice actors.

Tankmas ADVENTure had one more update yesterday, exit the lobby to the right to browse the hall of credit portraits! There’s a medal waiting for you at the end.

@Little-Rena has announced the 2020 BBS Awards Winners.

@meatcanyon is releasing Monster Lab Episode 1 tomorrow, January 3rd. 

We’ve extended our Double XP event through the end of January, so you can vote on at least ten items per day to log 20 XP. Throughout December we’ve had a growing backlog of Under Judgment Movies and Under Judgment Games. People are uploading new stuff faster than everyone can vote it through!

NG is hosting a Flash Forward Jam. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers this January thanks to Ruffle, after Flash has been officially removed. Over $2,600 in prizes!

@Rob1221 has been making really inventive puzzle games with Stencyl. His work is inspiring!

Today’s Drawing Tablet Recipient

Today’s tablet recipient is @ShintoArt.

ShintoArt has been illustrating with an old Bamboo tablet and it was time for an upgrade. He intends to continue with art and is also working on a game in RPGMaker.

Today’s Featured Flash (without Flash)

Developed by Denni Ames and sponsored by MiniClip, 3 Foot Ninja was one of the better early action platformers made with Flash. Fight your way from screen to screen, with increasingly difficult enemies and collectable scrolls.

About Ruffle and Flash Preservation

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

About the Drawing Tablet Giveaway

Newgrounds is hosting a 2020 Drawing Tablet Giveaway, inviting artists to apply for the chance to receive a drawing tablet. Applications are still open, however you must be US-based (tablets are sent directly from Amazon) and your chances will greatly improve if you have examples of your art or animation here on Newgrounds.

We’ve received generous donations from @Egoraptor, @AnonymousAlchemist, @SinclairStrange, @RonDMC, @SaucySaucepan, @Afro-Ninja, @Jonas, @NCH, @Sabtastic, @Squidly, @MSGhero, @Rarykos, @Straqt, @kleinerjunge, @DevAesthetic, @NickSenny, @Zombie-Pimp, @Ronald-McDonald-LoL, @MrChambers, @53xy83457, @AKA-38CAUTION and @Wegra. As a result, this is our biggest tablet giveaway ever!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

3 Foot Ninja reminds me of the days where I'd ritually go to the old Games section, scroll to the Action category, and play literally every single game there. Don't know if that game specifically was on that list, but I definitely played it around that time. I know it's archaic compared to the Features/Past Features system but I wish we had a backup of what games were there on the old "editorially chosen" sections. It was like the ultimate wall of honor to be there :o

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-02 11:36:07

Nice! Pixel day art, here I come!

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-02 11:40:36

Me and ma boys are cooking up a game for pixel day, keep those eyes peeled.

Check me out on awful bird website

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-02 13:20:41

If people are looking for a sprite artist or animator Hit me up, il be glad to take a stab at it.

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-02 15:34:02

Very excited to see all of the cool creations for pixel day! I'll be taking a shot at some pixel music as a creative challenge of sorts! The games are something I'm suuuuper looking forward to playing.

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-02 17:02:48

As I can't make music for a while for personal reasons, november 2020 I've prepared a song for this year's pixel day. It's not a chiptune song so I probably won't win anything, but it's got some chiptune elements. I'm really excited to see all pixel arts and play all games this year's Pixel Day!! can't wait to see what's awaiting...

Putting the "pro" in procrastination since 1999. 😎

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-02 18:16:25

Congrats on the tablet @ShintoArt!

And ah, MiniClip! :D Many a memories there! Gyroball was a fun one too, and that one Metal Slug clone, and a bundle of others... if only we'd had the API back in those days I reckon I'd have been rallying for rankings with a bit more tenacity. :P But then again maybe the heyday of these games was when achievements didn't exist at all; it was all about the game itself, that one essential experience...

@Rob1221 definitely is an inspiring dude too. :) Inventive and challenging!

2021 off to a good start so far, seems we momentarily caught up and cleared most of the UJ stuff too...

The latest: Hexa #64 (Dec)

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-02 21:56:25

I don't think I have ever learnt how to do pixel art, if anyone has a dummies guide, I might give it a shot.

Also, I wish to share a Flash Forward Jam update, my entry is working on my phone, I can press a button! This is exciting!

iu_219257_1568164.jpg

I am also designing it with landscape mobile in mind ;)

Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-02 22:57:59

making a cool game for pixel day with the usual crew, hope u guys like it when its out :)

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-03 09:29:21

Oh yeah MiniClip really brings up memories. I remember how they were among the most successful sites on the net. I wonder how they're doing now.

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-04 03:59:19

At 1/3/21 09:29 AM, Wiesi wrote: Oh yeah MiniClip really brings up memories. I remember how they were among the most successful sites on the net. I wonder how they're doing now.

Latest blog in 2018 now... seems like the site isn't getting as much love as it used to, only note I can find in regard to Flash in particular: https://support.miniclip.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000849788-Chrome-to-disable-Flash-Plugin

But they're still there at least... would be cool if they manage to get Ruffle running too eventually; maybe get a bit of a nostalgia boost again...

The latest: Hexa #64 (Dec)

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-05 11:05:33

I'm currently in pixel mode, if anyone reading this still needs some music for their entry, give me a DM!

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-12 14:39:38

My body is ready

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-13 15:32:48

I told myself that this year i should participate, but i still dont have nothing really special, ready for this great day ! all sketches just don't pass from it, only sketches ! >.<*

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-13 19:32:32

Can't wait to see everyone's finished projects. Hope mine will be good too

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-13 19:33:42

At 1/13/21 03:32 PM, EdiUzuki wrote: I told myself that this year i should participate, but i still dont have nothing really special, ready for this great day ! all sketches just don't pass from it, only sketches ! >.<*

a sketch is better than nothing!

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-13 21:24:11

i need to put in the title a hashtag or something to know its for the contest?

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-14 08:35:58

At 1/13/21 09:24 PM, DrawCorporations wrote: i need to put in the title a hashtag or something to know its for the contest?

Yup, include the "pixelday2021" tag.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-15 13:23:05

At 1/2/21 11:40 AM, Mig-Moog wrote: Me and ma boys are cooking up a game for pixel day, keep those eyes peeled.

awful bird website

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-15 19:13:40

At 1/14/21 08:35 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/13/21 09:24 PM, DrawCorporations wrote: i need to put in the title a hashtag or something to know its for the contest?
Yup, include the "pixelday2021" tag.

thanks dude

Response to Drawing Tablet 38 and Pixel Day Jan 23rd! 2021-01-16 04:06:31

Yo, if anyone would be willing to help with lowpixel pixel art (8x8 - 16x16) or with some chiptune nusic for a small high octane shmup for pixel day DM me