00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Game You are Currently Playing

39,954 Views | 1,591 Replies

There was a Mega Raid about to happen near me and as I needed to battle in a raid for one special research task and battle in a Mega Raid for another special research task I decided to kill two birds with one stone by going to it. Unfortunately while the battle in a raid task was completed, the Mega Raid one wasn't. I was the only person at the Mega Raid and so I guess for the task to activate, either there has to be more people or I have to actually defeat the Mega Pokemon. Even if I could, it'll require using up a bunch of revives and healing items and thus use up a lot of time. That's a bad thing as when you're looking for a Rocket Balloon, whenever they do appear you have about 20 minutes to engage them in battle and beat them before they fly away.

So it turns out I made the right call in backing out of the Mega Raid once it defeated the first team of Pokemon I sent after it as to my luck the Meowth Balloon finally appeared again. Not only did I beat Jessie but got my sweet revenge by beating James too. What's funny is the first two times I encountered that balloon, it was at home, but for this final time it was outside in the cold and snow. The thing is that the final part of Grovyle and Celebi's journey took place on a snow mountain, so that was an oddly appropriate battle with Jessie and James. So yeah, I've now fulfilled all the requirements to unlock the Shiny Celebi encounter, at the moment I'm currently preparing myself for it.

I also got another 7 km egg, this one from Dallas, Texas.

EDIT: Story of my life, the Celebi encounter requires AR. The problem is that I've been having AR issues, so that's something I have to fix ASAP.

At 2/1/21 03:34 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:
EDIT: Story of my life, the Celebi encounter requires AR. The problem is that I've been having AR issues, so that's something I have to fix ASAP.

It turns out for the AR to work, the device needs a gyroscope. All that hard work, and guess what my phone doesn't have? Ugh, why make AR mandatory for something when there's technical difficulties like this?

The silver lining is that it turns out that you can log into Pokemon GO on another device. I just hope at least one of the portable devices we have at home has a gyroscope, as the last thing I need is to buy another phone as those aren't cheap. Stupid AR paywall... I do have a laptop, so hopefully it has an gyroscope.

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-02 02:52:48

Mega man has been defeated again. Next up is Mega Man 2.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-02 10:38:17

At 2/1/21 05:43 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:
At 2/1/21 03:34 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:
It turns out for the AR to work, the device needs a gyroscope. All that hard work, and guess what my phone doesn't have? Ugh, why make AR mandatory for something when there's technical difficulties like this?

The silver lining is that it turns out that you can log into Pokemon GO on another device. I just hope at least one of the portable devices we have at home has a gyroscope, as the last thing I need is to buy another phone as those aren't cheap. Stupid AR paywall... I do have a laptop, so hopefully it has an gyroscope.

Good news, it seems my laptop has an gyroscope after I looked its name up online, as devices of its brand apparently all had gyroscopes ever since a certain year and I got my laptop some time after that date, so I know it has a gyroscope. The problem is that it's a Mac and it turns out that GO isn't compatible unless one were to use an emulator, which is something I don't wanna do as I consider emulators to be rather dubious.

So it looks like I'll have to see if one of my folks' devices is compatible with GO. At least last night when I told them about the problem they're willing to help me. Only reason I didn't use that opportunity to resolve things is because it was late in the day and my laptop was low on power. The laptop is charging now and I just found out it's not compatible moments ago.

So yeah, my break from Pokemon GO has begun thanks to all these technical difficulties. At least I can finally focus my attention on other games as searching for those Rocket Balloons in general is a 24/7 thing as you don't know when they'll show up, just that they show up 4 times a day within 6-hour intervals.

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-03 03:35:33

Mega Man 2 is 100 percent done.. Next up is Mega Man 3. Some say Part 3, is the best of the NES Mega man series.

BBS Signature

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-04 03:46:22

Mega Man 3 is all completed. Next up is Mega Man 4. I can finish these games so quickly.

BBS Signature

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-04 23:53:01

At 1/6/21 10:38 AM, TheGamechanger wrote: I like Etrian Odyssey but the only game I've owned is Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (the remake of the first game if you're wondering). That changed today as I've finally got around to buying Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight (naturally a remake of the second game). I knew I'd like it as I've played the demo years ago, just never got around to getting it as I've spend my money on other things. However, unlike the former game, I actually downloaded this one.

Normally I prefer physical, aka hard copies of games but with the pandemic still raging it's not exactly a good idea to go out and about even if there's used copies you can buy nearby. As for why I prefer physical copies, well for one that's what I grew up with as back then digital versions of physical games weren't as big a thing as they are now. Plus with physical versions it's easier to keep track with what games you have with visual reminders you can actually touch. And there's also the fact that digital versions take up a lot of permanent data that you could've used for downloadable updates and digital-only games, while physical versions take the data with them (older consoles and games being the exception) and thus you don't have to worry about that.

Haven't resolved the technical issues I'm having with Pokemon GO with my folks yet, simply because the issues had the unfortunate timing of coming to light at the beginning of the work week, so by the end of the day there's not much time left to work on said issue so I didn't bother. Hopefully I'll get that fixed tomorrow as it's an off day.

Anyways I finally started playing Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold yesterday. Just got past the point of the game where the demo I played years ago ended. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty, as I don't care as much about how hard the enemies are as I do about simply enjoying everything else the game has to offer.

The game itself is 20 bucks, but it has a boatload of DLC that I purchased all at the same time. How much DLC you may ask? About around 30 bucks worth! Much of said DLC happens to be bonus bosses.

One sidequest that happens to be one of my favorite parts of the game so far is filling out the recipes for the cafe. How it works is this: you make food by gathering ingredients from the labyrinth dungeon, either from foraging or from slaying monsters. But gathering enough ingredients is only half of the puzzle, the other half is that the recipes you're figuring out are actually encrypted (i.e. doesn't name-drop the ingredients) and so you have to do some guesswork based on the descriptions of the ingredients as to which ones are the right ones to use. Once you've selected the right ingredients, the completed recipe is revealed, showing an appetizing picture of the meal in question... and the meals you make also give your party benefits that can help you in battle or exploring, the effects of which depend of course on the meal. Plus the party reacts uniquely to each new recipe you complete, which is fun to watch.

I heard that the protagonist in this game (the one you name) is on the OP side, to the point of apparently making the tougher enemies be pushovers. That's fine by me, probably the closest thing we have to playing as the Doom Slayer in an RPG.

And I ended up not resolving that issue I'm having with Pokemon GO like I said I would today simply because Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold is too good to put down.

Just got into the beginning of the 3rd Stratum, a winter-themed wonderland. And I'm not joking on the winter part, as from what I know of the game the first four stratums are based on the four seasons (in order: summer, fall, winter, spring).

Just completed the hot spring DLC quest, which upon completion allows you to change the menu/battle portraits of the two female party members from story mode to their more lewd portraits, which you can do so at the hot spring once you've defeated the boss monster that stirred up trouble at the spring. Of course, you can change them back to their normal portraits at the hot spring as well. The portrait change I found out does not affect cutscenes as their regular portraits are still used for that.

Don't know what Atlus was smoking when they came up with this, but I'm pretty sure most potheads wouldn't want any part of it. I just had the princess have the lewd portrait, as at least she's of age being 18, but the other girl is repeatedly referred to as a kid and has the appearance of a prepubescent!

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-06 03:16:13

Life. And I don't think I'm winning.

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-06 14:55:30

Still playing Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold. And might as well come clean: I spoiled myself on the game's story years ago when I first got into the Etrian Odyssey games. Luckily, enough time has passed that I've actually forgotten some of the details, so that helps.

However I am aware that the two story boss fights for the 3rd Stratum are very much not easy. The first having several annoying attacks and abilities that are better versions of your team's and also having a last-ditch attack that has a high chance of wiping out your party if you don't protect yourself right, and the actual stratum boss apparently being one of the hardest bosses in the game (hard as in when you battle it at the levels you're supposed to be at by that point, not when you reach the max level).

The protagonist isn't exactly OP yet as the story is basically about making said character OP to protect the land, so at this point in the story not as OP one would've liked to take care of troubling bosses. Well either that or I'm not playing the character right. You see the character is capable of transforming for a limited time to a more powerful form with boosted attack power and new abilities, and the more you progress in the story the more abilities you unlock. Me, I'm only using the transforming when I have to, opting to not transform for normal battles or bosses that I think I can handle without it. So far, that strategy is working.

Now that all that is said and done, what I didn't spoil for myself back in the day is gameplay, so dungeon layouts, monsters, and sidequests are all fresh to me. That said I'm probably gonna have to use a walkthrough for certain bosses, sidequests, and rare items as even on the lowest difficulty of Picnic, some of that is no picnic regardless.

For example, just completed a sidequest that's incredibly tricky if you want to do it right. It's about a treasure in a cave, and doing anything else besides the right way results in a bad end. To get the good end (obtain the treasure), you must question the guard at the cave about the client and if the guard has been in the cave, refuse the guard's offer of standing guard by the entrance and say you don't trust him, of the things you can inquire about for why you don't trust him you'd have to ask about stalactites, and while options after that could lead to obtaining the treasure (the "guard" is at his breaking point when you go this far), telling him that you're enjoying the conversation is what made him snap and reveal his true colors for me. After all that you return to the bar to turn in the quest and then you leave the treasure with the bar owner for safekeeping. So yeah, saving before doing a quest is very useful as you don't know how tricky one is going to be, like the one I just explained.

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-07 22:10:54

Mega Man 4 is all completed. Next up is Mega Man 5. I am starting to get bored of these games.

BBS Signature

Yeah, found out that on Picnic difficulty the 3rd stratum bosses aren't nearly as much of a problem as I thought they'd be. Though even if you aren't taken out by the first boss fight's last-ditch attack you'd still lose most of your health if you have enough to tank it.

Just reached the fifth stratum, which in the Etrian Odyssey games is their version of a final dungeon. Been itching to reach it as its theme happens to be one of my favorite Etrian Odyssey themes. So for level-grinding I'll just use the fifth stratum just so I can listen to the music. Sure you could level up faster in the sixth stratum (the series equivalent to a bonus dungeon), but the fifth stratum seems more fun to me.

Spoiler warning for the stuff below this line

As for what the fifth stratum in this game is, it's Heavenly Keep, a floating fortress that's the home turf of the Overlord, a scientist who, from the context clues of the game so far, seems to have a bit of a god complex and is responsible for unethical experiments on others in pursuit of immortality, with some of the victims of that tormenting the locals with their new grotesque forms. He also seems to behind the creation of a race of bird-people and apparently manipulated them to do his dirty work (they seem to genuinely view him as a god). And to top that all off, the reason you're there in Untold is to try to get his help/cooperation in order to stop a no-longer-sealed-away threat from causing the apocalypse. Naturally, Heavenly Keep is very visually impressive with all that in mind, being as grand as the man likes to think of himself.

And here's the music of the place: the original theme, and Untold's version. I actually prefer the original theme but I like them both. Good thing Untold actually allows you to switch between the old soundtrack and the new one whenever you want! And yes, the themes that are completely new has old-style versions made for them as well.

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-08 02:32:17

Super Meat Boy Forever. But for some reason I'm 4-5 lines in every time I play it. I'm still progressing through but I'm learning how much uppers fuck up platforming skill.

Also Black Mesa is sick. Makes me realize that hl1 was probably better for its time than hl2

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-08 02:41:20

played half-life 2 again yesterday. got stuck on ravenholm and had to look up a walkthrough.

BBS Signature

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-08 02:42:02

Just finished the pixel shooter/platformer Butcher on impossible mode. Game is brutal!

BBS Signature

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-09 03:10:12

Mega Man 5 is all completed. Next up is Mega Man 6. The last of the NES Mega Mans.

BBS Signature

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-09 06:17:09

im trying to level up licorice cookie in cookie run kingdom so i can add him to my team and stand a chance against others who use other overpowered cookies in arena

BBS Signature

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-10 05:27:19

Pac-Man

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-10 19:19:38

Just beat the Overlord in Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold, who was the final boss in the original Etrian Odyssey II. Not the case in Untold's story mode, as the real final boss is the Calamity. That explains why in comparison to the Juggernaut (the boss fight before the Overlord), the Overlord is easier.

Anyways the real final dungeon in story mode turns out to be B5F of Untold's new dungeon, Ginnungagap. Currently working my way towards said final boss within this maze, and I still have much to map. I have plenty of skill points to spend on the party, the only reason I haven't got around to using them is simply because there's so many options that it's hard to choose which ones to spend on. Not only that, but there's more skill point slots than there are levels (you gain a skill point each time you level up), meaning you can't optimize the characters as you'd like outside of Grimoires. Doesn't help that Grimoires are luck-based no matter what you do if you're seeking a specific one.

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-11 00:24:01

To be expected this final story mode floor is no cakewalk, but man these F.O.E.s are something else. If you don't know what a F.O.E. is in the Etrian Odyssey games, it's an enemy that's visible in the overworld unlike all the other enemies and qualify as bosses themselves due to being that tough. As such you have to avoid them at least until you're tough enough to beat them.

Until now on Picnic difficulty in Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold, I was able to plow through all the F.O.E.s using just regular attacks and the occasional healing. This final floor? Ha ha ha no. The F.O.E.s here only have two moves (besides just a standard attack) and they altogether make doing that strategy impossible. Their first move is being able to lower the accuracy of the whole party. their second, far more aggravating move is to heal all nearly 10,000 of their health points. I managed to find how to beat them: defeat them before they can even use their healing move. To do that I had my Fafnir Knight transform, having him use one of his transformation-exclusive skills that makes him act three times in one turn on the next turn. In this same turn I had two of the other characters power the guy's offense up and had the other characters use powerful attacks. Then on the second turn, I had the knight use all three of his elemental attacks that hit 10 times, so 30 hits total. Each of those hits was about 300 health points of damage, so for 90,000 damage total that was the killing blow to the F.O.E. as the other characters depleted the other 1,000 health points with their attacks.

Not much special points were used up for all that by the way. The problem is that transforming uses up a force gauge, meaning that for the force gauge to recharge you'd have to enter more battles. The more turns pass, the more the gauge recharges. If there's only one F.O.E. in the room that's fine as then you can fight regular enemies, but if there's two then you're not as lucky there's a high chance the other one will notice you. That indeed was the case when I came across two of them in the same room, I had to enter battle with the second one to refill the gauge, run away from it afterwards to reset the accuracy, then re-enter battle so I can finally deal with it. With F.O.E.s there's a strategy of avoiding them on the overworld using both the environment and the F.O.E.'s movement patterns to your advantage, but if you're not so good with that then you're out of luck unless you're able to beat them.

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-11 04:35:45

Mega Man 6 is all completed. I have defeated the six part NES trilogy again. The next time I have free time, I will pick my next game.

BBS Signature

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-11 11:51:15

Just beat the final boss of Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold. You actually fight it twice in succession, but only the first battle is the real fight as the second one is pretty much impossible to lose as it's basically a playable cutscene as you're soloing it with maxed-out/boosted stats and regenerating incredible amounts of health and special points each turn. That justified as the second fight is just you moving in for the kill with the power to vanquish it once and for all. That said the first fight makes up the easiness of the second fight by being very tricky to deal with, and it's easy to tell that if the boss was fought on higher difficulties it'll be a lot more hair-pullingly hard to deal with. Doesn't have any moves to heal itself but if it's attacks weren't nerfed on easy mode you can just tell that you'd spend quite a bit of healing on the higher difficulties. Plus not only it can cause status effects on you but it's also one of those bosses whose main part is shielded from attacks until you deal with the other parts of it first. And of course, it can regenerate those parts as the battle progresses.

So yeah, I'm in the post-game now. Current level is 67, and if the the level system is anything like the other Etrian Odyssey game I've played, The Millennium Girl, the max level without sidequest awards is 70, and with sidequest awards it'll be 99. When I beat the final boss of The Millennium Girl, I actually was at level 70. While I'm on the topic, I find it interesting that the bonus boss of the original Etrian Odyssey game became the real final boss in its remake, Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl. Though even in the remake it still counts as a bonus boss as you're given the option to fight it in the post-game without any of the story mode-exclusive help.

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-11 12:01:33

Currently playing through Star Wars Public commando

I beat Crash 4 last night. Good game but not worth the $60 price tag. Wait for it to go on sale.

Related: That's how I feel about the N.Sane trilogy

El Super Mario acaba de comer un hongo ancho.

BBS Signature

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-11 21:15:46

I am going to stick with NES, and replay The Legend of Zelda, the original.

BBS Signature

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-12 00:22:51

Remember what I said about F.O.E.s in Etrian Odyssey? Well the first one you encounter has a huge amount of health, capable of hitting your whole party, getting rid of the positive ailments on your party, and boosting its attack, which is bad enough. But this 6th Stratum really establishes itself as a brutal bonus dungeon by having three of these utter monsters be in the very first room past the entrance, and as there's not much room to go around them you pretty much have to beat them all in order to progress deeper in the stratum. Due to all that health of just one of them, this means you'll end up fighting all three of them at once... which equates to a fight that's harder than the final boss. And this was after I hit the level cap of 70 mind you. Luckily I managed to beat them as I've now gotten used to being on the defensive and offensive, plus I discovered that blinding them is a really good strategy in the latter half of the fight (I never really used status effects until then). It's telling that F.O.E.s aren't something to be messed with when the first boss fight in the stratum is actually much easier than those F.O.E.s. Said boss fight is what unlocks much of the stratum it seems.

The second F.O.E. I encountered is surprisingly easy to fight, and the map pretty much lies about its threat level as you could probably take it out at a much lower level. Why I say that the map is lying is that on the map, F.O.E.s have color-coded auras around them to indicate if you're tough enough to beat them or not. A blue aura means you can take them, a yellow aura means you have a good chance of being able to take them on but still be cautious, and a red aura means stay the Hell away from them. The aura of this pathetic creature is a red aura. But its threat isn't in its strength, but what it does to the map once you enter the same room as it: it uses the icy fog it generates to hide your location on the map, meaning you must search through the fog and herd the F.O.E. (who unlike most F.O.E.s seems to be on the timid side as it's actually running away from you) into a corner so you can defeat it and clear away the fog. And yes, you can actually encounter other F.O.E.s in the fog as the first one I mentioned above showed up again in it so yeah clearing the fog is a very good idea.

Anyways, right now I'm on a sidequest to defeat the Storm Emperor, a golden eastern-dragon of the electricity element who in the other Etrian Odyssey game I've played, raised the level cap by 10 once you've beaten it. Don't know if that's the case in this game, but regardless this ought to be fun as the dragons that raised the level cap upon defeat were no pushovers....

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-12 02:15:42

And just beat the Storm Emperor. And just as I guessed, doing so raised the level cap. Onwards to level 80 baby!

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-13 11:28:16

just finished playing sakuna of rice and ruin, am looking to get back into hollow knight it just turns me off that ill need to use a guide to find the remaining content....yep time is truly a vauluable thing, watch it fly by as the pendulum swings

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-14 02:30:49

I defeated all of The Legend of Zelda, the original NES game. Up next is the LOZ part 2.

BBS Signature

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-14 13:57:47

Played NG Highschool and thought it was shit.

Familia Isekai mango had butter NTR.

Response to Game You are Currently Playing 2021-02-15 17:50:16

I defeated all of The Legend of Zelda 2. Up next is the LOZ part 3, A link to the past. The Snes Game.

BBS Signature