00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RandomGuyTV just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Site Updates & Cool Stuff!

5,533 Views | 22 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Happy Monday everyone! Got a variety of announcements so here goes:

Clock Day

Saturday was Clock Day, which you can read all about via that link. Next August will mark the 20th annual celebration of the Clock Crew!

Ad Campaign

Non-Supporters may have noticed we have an ad campaign running on the site. This campaign will be in place through Sunday the 23rd, after which we’ll be back to no ads on E-M pages, like we’ve been doing for most of 2020. The goal is for NG to be completely ad-free but we’ll need a lot more Supporters before that’s possible. Thank you everyone who has managed to help support the site so far!

Search Video Player

Movie search now allows you to watch videos back-to-back in-page, like we do for playlists and collections. To launch a video in-page, click the thumbnail instead of the text link.

Disclaimer: We are in the process of re-indexing our search data and some movies might not be enabled yet to play in-page. This is still in-progress as of August 19th.

Also this doesn’t work for movies where only a Flash file exists. In these cases you won’t see the “Play Video” notice when you roll over the thumbnail. On mobile we only return results that have a video file, since Flash generally doesn’t run on phones, however we will ultimately re-index our search to include Flash movies that are running via Ruffle.rs Flash emulation, since these DO work on phones. They still won’t work with the in-page video player, though.

The Hair is a Flash movie running via Ruffle, if you’d like to see an example of Flash working on your phone. If you enjoy ongoing Flash preservation efforts, consider becoming a Ruffle Sponsor! Ruffle was created by @Mike and now has a team of really smart people chipping away at it.

Search Movies and Audio by Length

Our Advanced Search options have long had the option to search video by length but that feature was broken. It’s now fixed! We’ve also updated it to allow for a minimum and/or maximum length value, in place of the old system which allowed for a single approximate value. This change applies to Audio search, as well!

I’ll personally be using this feature to help build my Short Shorts playlist. For example, here's everything that was featured so far in 2020 that's under one minute in length.

Or maybe you'd like to sit back and catch up on the most popular Madness movies since 2019.

Speaking of Movies

@HappyHarry released a pilot for his long-anticipated series, Trilby Dogtooth!

If you appreciate all the hard work that goes into something like this, consider becoming a HappyHarry Patron.

This week we also saw triumphant returns from @Sexual-Lobster and @Pahgawk:

Not to mention the return of @eddsworld a week earlier, and a new episode of Satina from @scumhouse!

Round that out with uber-stylish entries from @JoelG and @AntonM:

There are so many insanely talented people here, I hope you’re watching it all!

Games to Play

You are now Possessed by @Patacorow was the winner of the Game Maker’s Toolkit Jam this year, crafting clever puzzles based on the Out of Control jam theme:

Other top GMTK entries:

@Gypopothomas just released Dead Evil, made for LowRezJam 2020!

This would be a good one for Newgrounds.io scoreboards. :3 Update: High scores added!

Geometrica is a stylish puzzle platformer from @FlowVix and I'm hooked:

Long-time NG fans should appreciate Lord of the Portal by @Chdonga, where @StrawberryClock goes on a quest to reclaim the throne.

Finally, Forgecore may be the most epic game this month - if only we could all get past that mountain! Can you?

Ongoing Events

Round 1 winners of the Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch were announced this morning and Round 2 has begun!

The Newgrounds Underdogs’ Audio Contest Knock-out Round is in progress. Browse that thread to hear incoming entries; the deadline is August 24th!

Robot Day is August 26th, with $400 in prizes!

The Newgrounds Podcast Summer Block Party is Saturday, August 29th.

The 29th is also the deadline for @Xinxinix’s pARTy Contest, where the theme is to illustrate OCs (yours or others’ with permission) engaging in party activities! $600 in prizes are up for grabs; click that link for more info.

Sunday, August 30th is the deadline for our Neo Geo Jam, with nearly $2,700 in prizes for animation, art and music!

@Sevi is hosting a Music Inspired Art contest with $300 in prizes. The deadline for that is Monday, August 31st.

@NickConter is hosting a NEAR DEADline art contest with $200 in prizes and that also ends on Monday, August 31st. 

What in the world will we all do in September??? Some of us will be gearing up for Halloween, I imagine; the deadline for this year’s Dr. Good’s Operating Theatre collab is September 20th.

My August 20th Music Playlist is in-progress. I’ll leave you with some cool pixel art!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-17 12:15:33

Great to hear that!

I am plan to test out the video player soon. Hope Ruffle coming out well in Newgrounds.

https://38cautionzone.com

Ko-fi (Commission/Donation)

BBS Signature

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-17 12:19:16

Somebody give Harry a full animation budget already please and thank you.

Also holy shit do we have a lot of contests going on right now, can't wait to see what people make! Waiting for Neo Geo Jam feels like waiting for Christmas!

Click the Squid -> 🦑

lots of happenings, nice to see people have been keepin busy through the pandemic during the summer. we should have a pandemic every year

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-17 14:13:53

At 8/17/20 12:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: Clock Day

Saturday was Clock Day, which you can read all about via that link. Next August will mark the 20th annual celebration of the Clock Crew!

Much fun was had, and I would like to thank whoever put my farting Strawberry Clock on the frontpage, that really made my day! So much so, I preserved a screenshot!

At 8/17/20 12:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ad Campaign

Non-Supporters may have noticed we have an ad campaign running on the site. This campaign will be in place through Sunday the 23rd, after which we’ll be back to no ads on E-M pages, like we’ve been doing for most of 2020. The goal is for NG to be completely ad-free but we’ll need a lot more Supporters before that’s possible. Thank you everyone who has managed to help support the site so far!

I do have a question about ads, I mean, being ad-free would be great, but I am also wondering about the revenue that artists get from creations, and such through Newgrounds, do the API ads still work? And will they still be supported?

Additional to that, any plans on having tips to artists on Newgrounds, or monthly sub to an artist? Then Newgrounds takes a cut, and the artist gets a little extra money. I don't know how complicated that would be.

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-17 14:27:38

At 8/17/20 02:13 PM, Little-Rena wrote: I do have a question about ads, I mean, being ad-free would be great, but I am also wondering about the revenue that artists get from creations, and such through Newgrounds, do the API ads still work? And will they still be supported?

The API ads still work but I wouldn't really recommend going that route with new games nowadays.

Additional to that, any plans on having tips to artists on Newgrounds, or monthly sub to an artist? Then Newgrounds takes a cut, and the artist gets a little extra money. I don't know how complicated that would be.

We've been thinking about features like direct subscriptions to artists, although if we did that it would likely start out as an exclusive feature for top artists. Ideally we'd like to make enough Supporter revenue to build a new rev-share system around but the site still loses money every year so it's far from reality. In the meantime we hope to keep doing things to boost monthly prizes for the best stuff on the site.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-17 14:38:14

At 8/17/20 02:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've been thinking about features like direct subscriptions to artists, although if we did that it would likely start out as an exclusive feature for top artists. Ideally we'd like to make enough Supporter revenue to build a new rev-share system around but the site still loses money every year so it's far from reality. In the meantime we hope to keep doing things to boost monthly prizes for the best stuff on the site.

Glad to hear that it's an idea on the table, but sad to hear that the site is still losing money, I have seen that the activity has gone up since I came back from my hiatus, which I am sure had everything to do with it, and not the bad decisions of other websites restricting artists! I hope some of those turn into subscribers.

On the API note, I'll stop using the API ads for future projects.

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-17 16:45:01

HAPPY KITTY DAY LOVES! <3

Sexy Yes? I would think so :3

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-17 19:38:35

Harry is back in the action, yay!

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-17 20:17:00

I hope everyone enjoyed Clock Day! While August 15th only comes once a year, your friends at the Clock Crew are always cooking up some kind of fun- and we'd be delighted to have you you the ranks!

iu_157370_2070723.png

Resistance is futile, we run Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-18 00:55:15

At 8/17/20 12:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: The Hair is a Flash movie running via Ruffle, if you’d like to see an example of Flash working on your phone. If you enjoy ongoing Flash preservation efforts, consider becoming a Ruffle Sponsor! Ruffle was created by @Mike and now has a team of really smart people chipping away at it.

It's so great to see Flash movies running on my iPhone after all this time. But of course, now I can't help think about the inability to pause/play toggle while watching them. Are there any ideas about how that could work? Would you just need some sort of Rust-built player?

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-18 10:02:57

Those are some pretty cool changes

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-18 19:12:19

pink Website is not a cool update!

None

BBS Signature

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-18 22:25:02

Still no nudes of Mister Fulp hmmmmmmm

hello

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-19 04:25:32

At 8/17/20 12:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: The goal is for NG to be completely ad-free but we’ll need a lot more Supporters before that’s possible. Thank you everyone who has managed to help support the site so far!

sigh

Well I guess I'll support the site again.

Not because I like you or anything.

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-20 11:38:24

Great to see that Newgrounds is still active after Kongregate decided to shutdown.

Man, i can fucking believe that Eddsworld is back! 2020, please decide if I'm going to hate you or love you! And I am also very happy for this short film from the Satina series. Like I remember that when I watched Satina's first Short I was really excited because the animation is excellent and the story is fun

At 8/20/20 01:16 PM, ABrazillianBoy wrote: Man, i can fucking believe that Eddsworld is back! 2020, please decide if I'm going to hate you or love you! And I am also very happy for this short film from the Satina series. Like I remember that when I watched Satina's first Short I was really excited because the animation is excellent and the story is fun

HOLY CHEETOS YOURE BACK!

BBS Signature

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-20 15:57:53

At 8/20/20 03:26 PM, Samuka31 wrote:
At 8/20/20 01:16 PM, ABrazillianBoy wrote: Man, i can fucking believe that Eddsworld is back! 2020, please decide if I'm going to hate you or love you! And I am also very happy for this short film from the Satina series. Like I remember that when I watched Satina's first Short I was really excited because the animation is excellent and the story is fun
HOLY CHEETOS YOURE BACK!

What, i never go

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-20 22:27:51

Is NewGrounds finally going back to the normal colors?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-21 10:13:06

People still use adblocker

signature by jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-21 22:17:38

newgrounds will always be the coolest place to hang out. thanks tom for the cool site!

:o

BBS Signature

Response to Site Updates & Cool Stuff! 2020-08-31 02:09:08

At 8/21/20 10:17 PM, El-Mistro wrote: newgrounds will always be the coolest place to hang out. thanks for the cool site!

you know it. You should be very happy that we have it.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature