00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Neo Geo Jam!

41,590 Views | 162 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Anyone who’s read the Newgrounds history knows NG started as a Neo Geo fanzine I made when I was thirteen. Neo = New and Geo = Ground; Newgrounds and Neo Geo have always been synonymous.

We’ve long tossed around the idea of a Neo Geo art contest, then @DreaminErryDay recently asked “Newgrounds Neo Geo/SNK collab when” and @ZFrame suggested it as our next animation jam theme. We’ve decided The Future is Now.

The Neo Geo Jam spans three categories: Animation, Art and Audio! 

Animation Jam Rules:

• Create an original animation in the world of a Neo Geo game. Could be comedy, action, drama; the choice is yours!
  • Avoid unlicensed music. We have a list of royalty free resources but ideally you could team up with a musician here on NG to create Neo Geo style music.
  • You’re welcome to work in teams!

Audio Jam Rules:

• Create an original song that feels like it could belong in a Neo Geo game, or a modern tribute with heavy influences from a Neo Geo game. It would be great if your music could be used in a jam animation!

Art Jam Rules:

• Create Neo Geo fan art! Entries that warrant an A rating are unlikely to be selected as winners but you’re welcome to shoot your shot. Upload your art here (have seen a few people ask on social media).

Deadline for all Entries

August 30th, end of day PST. Tag your entry with “NeoGeoJam” to be included!

Animation Prizes

1st - $540 + custom Neo Geo joystick from @Weasel + Xeno Crisis Neo Geo cartridge!

2nd - $440

3rd - $340

4th - $240

5th - $200

6th - $105

7th - $60

Best Neo Geo Style Music Prizes

1st - $100

2nd- $70

3rd - $60

4th - $60

5th - $30

Best Neo Geo Fan Art Prizes

1st - $130

2nd - $100

3rd - $100

4th - $70

5th - $30

@Mabelma from MabsArts Store / MabsArts is cooking up pins, stickers and more for the top five in each category!

We’re actively raising money to increase the prize pools! If you’re down to contribute, please use the donation option on our Supporter page and PM me a heads up that you donated towards the Neo Geo Jam. Specify which category (animation, music, art) you would like to boost if you have a preference.

Bigger prizes will result in a bigger badder better turnout!

I’d like to give a BIG THANK YOU to our sponsors!

@AndytheDandy - 300

@meatcanyon - 200

@shrizumalonito - 150

@ornery - 150

@9Hammer - 125

@BoMToons - 100 - Check out Super Chibi Knight!

@SrPelo - 100

@Squidly - 100 - Check out Renaine!

@wheezlezl - 100

@Mike - 100

@Grub-Xer0 - 100

@FuShark - 50

@GoodL - 50

@53xy83457 - 50

@BombsAhoy - 50

@Tyler - 50

@DoctorGrambo - 30

@TheGhostOfSevenSeize - 25

@coltenseamans - 20

@GIO-NG - 20

@Vudujin - 20

@1DarkVoid - 20

@Jackho - 19.91 (Neo Geo release year)

@Wegra - 15

@Mimny - 10

@SandBagg - 10

@AntomM - 10

@cyangorilla - 10

Anon - 40

I tossed in $650, the list price of a Neo Geo on release, bringing the total to $2,674.91.

A fun part of putting this jam together was finding out @Weasel of Thing-Thing fame makes custom Neo Geo joysticks! The one awarded in this jam will be compatible with PC and console.

I also learned that @Megadev went on to become Bitmap Bureau, the creators of Xeno Crisis, a modern Neo Geo game!

Inspirational Links

Many are familiar with Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury and King of Fighters, now a character in Smash. You may also be a fan of Metal Slug or Samurai Shodown, some of the coolest games ever made. You’re welcome to tackle these franchises but if your mind isn’t set, we’d love to see love for a wide variety of games. Here are more to consider, with links:

Top Hunter - A brawling platformer with a little of everything; melee combat, guns, extendo arms, Street Fighter style special moves, mechs and a background layer you can jump into.

Mutation Nation - Brawler set in a city under siege by bio-engineered beasts.

Robo Army - Brawler set in a world of machines.

Cyber-Lip - Pre Metal Slug, this run ‘n gun never really took off but it had a cool dystopian vibe and characters who I bet would translate really well to an original cartoon.

Blue’s Journey - This game was goofy but that might make it fun for the animated treatment.

Magician Lord - Tough as nails platformer where you can magically turn into a variety of characters. @Mike managed to beat this at the office because he’s a sadist.

Sengoku, Sengoku 2 & Sengoku 3 - Stylish hack ‘n slash where you battle the ghosts of feudal Japanese warriors.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves - The final chapter in the Fatal Fury series and a fighting fan favorite.

Windjammers - A competitive game similar to air hockey, with its own eSports circuit!

There’s a full list of Neo Geo games on Wikipedia you can explore. I’d even love to watch a toon about the gang from League Bowling.

So that’s it, pick a game and have fun! I’ve personally never been more excited to see the results of a jam.

If you’re curious to check out previous animation jams, have a look at the recent Musk Jam and Pet Jam. Clicking the movie thumbnails will play the movies in-page and you can watch them all back-to-back.

Jam promo art by @IvanAlmighty, a real hot dog!

iu_144898_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 18:51:05

At 7/17/20 06:47 PM, TomFulp wrote:
We’ve decided The Future is Now.

Ahhh that hit me hard... that classic logline!!! Beautiful jam, looking forward to it!

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 18:57:58

Cool idea. I'm hoping for some gorgeous sprite animation from this jam.

I'm also liking that this jam is expanding prizes and entries for music and artwork as well. Nice.

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 19:09:25

Good luck to everyone!

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 19:09:50

This looks super exciting!!! I'm willing to offer my voice up if anybody needs a VA, shoot me a message!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 19:12:40

metal slug 3 cartoons inbound

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 19:15:59 (edited 2020-07-18 06:52:10)

At 7/17/20 06:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: Jam promo art by @IvanAlmighty, a real hot dog!

This promo art is wicked Ivan. Right on.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 19:25:42

All animators! If you need any help with voices for your submissions hit me up! I’m definitely willing to help out! Let’s go! :D

You need a voice? I got one for ya! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 19:30:46

I'd love to see some Last Blade representation! If I can find the time I definitely want to contribute some art.

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 19:39:33

Is there a even remote chance to have a Neo Geo game jam? :)

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 19:40:34

I think I'm gonna sit on the sidelines for this one, being that I'm not exactly the biggest Neo Geo expert on the planet (the only game I've played from it being Metal Slug, which everyone played).

Can't wait to see what kind of great cartoons, music, and art come out of this though. It's too bad games aren't included as well because I'd be way down to play the fuck out of some Neo Geo fan games!

Well, good luck to everyone who does participate, I'm actually really excited for this one!

I am the writer of the second greatest South Park fanfiction on this entire planet AND THEREFORE THE UNIVERSE!!!

Also I make cartoons, they're pretty cool too.

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 19:45:06

Can't wait to see some Metal Slug toons and art!

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 19:49:37

I WANT TO PARTICIPATE VERY MUCH AAAAAAAA

I've decided to open up Commissions for Pokémon fanart!

Check it out if you're interested!!

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 19:51:40

All animators! If you need any help with voices for your submissions hit me up! I’m definitely willing to help out! Let’s go! :D

I love that this is three contests in one also! I can’t wait to see how the community steps up for this! Get those creative juices flowing!

You need a voice? I got one for ya! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 20:00:07

Gonna make a toon about cyber lip baby

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 20:09:12

At 7/17/20 06:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: Anyone who’s read the Newgrounds history knows NG started as a Neo Geo fanzine I made when I was thirteen. Neo = New and Geo = Ground; Newgrounds and Neo Geo have always been synonymous.

We’ve long tossed around the idea of a Neo Geo art contest, then @DreaminErryDay recently asked “Newgrounds Neo Geo/SNK collab when” and @ZFrame suggested it as our next animation jam theme. We’ve decided The Future is Now.

The Neo Geo Jam spans three categories: Animation, Art and Audio! 

Animation Jam Rules:

Audio Jam Rules:

Art Jam Rules:

Deadline for all Entries

August 30th, end of day PST. Tag your entry with “NeoGeoJam” to be included!

Animation Prizes

1st - $500 and a custom Neo Geo joystick from @Weasel
2nd - $300
3rd - $200
4th - $90

Best Neo Geo Style Music Prizes

1st - $50
2nd- $50
3rd - $50
4th - $50

Best Neo Geo Fan Art Prizes

1st - $50
2nd - $50
3rd - $50
4th - $50

We’re actively raising money to increase the animation prize pool! If you’re down to contribute, please use the donation option on our Supporter page and PM me a heads up that you donated towards the Neo Geo Jam. Bigger prizes will result in a bigger badder better turnout!

I’d like to give a BIG THANK YOU to our sponsors! Here’s the breakdown:

@AndytheDandy - 300
@BoMToons - 100 - Check out Super Chibi Knight!
@SrPelo - 100
@FuShark - 50
@GoodL - 50
@53xy83457 - 50
@BombsAhoy - 50
@DoctorGrambo - 30
@TheGhostOfSevenSeize - 25
@coltenseamans - 20
@GIO-NG - 20
@Wegra - 15
@Mimny - 10
@SandBagg - 10
@AntomM - 10

I tossed in $650, the list price of a Neo Geo on release, bringing the total to $1,490.

Another awesome part of putting this jam together was finding out @Weasel of Thing-Thing fame makes custom Neo Geo joysticks!

Inspirational Links

Many are familiar with Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury and King of Fighters, now a character in Smash. You may also be a fan of Metal Slug or Samurai Shodown, some of the coolest games ever made. You’re welcome to tackle these franchises but if your mind isn’t set, we’d love to see love for a wide variety of games. Here are more to consider, with links:

Top Hunter - A brawling platformer with a little of everything; melee combat, guns, extendo arms, Street Fighter style special moves, mechs and a background layer you can jump into.

Mutation Nation - Brawler set in a city under siege by bio-engineered beasts.

Robo Army - Brawler set in a world of machines.

Cyber-Lip - Pre Metal Slug, this run ‘n gun never really took off but it had a cool dystopian vibe and characters who I bet would translate really well to an original cartoon.

Blue’s Journey - This game was goofy but that might make it fun for the animated treatment.

Magician Lord - Tough as nails platformer where you can magically turn into a variety of characters. @Mike managed to beat this at the office because he’s a sadist.

Sengoku, Sengoku 2 & Sengoku 3 - Stylish hack ‘n slash where you battle the ghosts of feudal Japanese warriors.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves - The final chapter in the Fatal Fury series and a fighting fan favorite.

There’s a full list of Neo Geo games on Wikipedia you can explore. I’d even love to watch a toon about the gang from League Bowling.

So that’s it, pick a game and have fun! I’ve personally never been more excited to see the results of a jam.

If you’re curious to check out previous animation jams, have a look at the recent Musk Jam and Pet Jam. Clicking the movie thumbnails will play the movies in-page and you can watch them all back-to-back.

Jam promo art by @IvanAlmighty, a real hot dog!

i would love to voice act in this. please let me know

https://youtu.be/dyIOd1DwIBM - Voice demo of the decade

https://youtu.be/xmYrlXjuvUU voice work

https://youtu.be/9DarjDg85TI - Impression

https://youtu.be/CgOAGyu3rWc - Voice demo of 2019

i have also voiced in the top 3 animations for the MuskJam

this are my voices i have done. and more will be coming this year

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 20:17:06

If anybody would like some assistance with animating or storyboarding, I'm available!

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 20:35:32

So what are the minimum requirements for the animation, art, etc?

like would a 5 second animation be better than a 2 second one?

size of file?

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 20:39:32

I'm really excited about this! Hopefully I can crank something out in time. I've never done more than a simple animation loop, but perhaps now is my chance to take the plunge into something longer.

If anyone out there is looking for voice actors for this, please reach out to me! I've been a Neo Geo collector and SNK fan since I was a little kid and want to contribute to this jam in any way I can.

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 20:49:29 (edited 2020-07-17 20:50:54)

I look forward to seeing all the submissions!

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 20:58:37

At 7/17/20 08:35 PM, Cybuster wrote: So what are the minimum requirements for the animation, art, etc?

like would a 5 second animation be better than a 2 second one?
size of file?

No set requirements - longer isn't always better but an animation with some sort of story will likely do better than a short animated loop (in the animation category).

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 21:00:22

While i'm not a neo geo guy, I could see some cool stuff coming out of this jam so I can't wait for the results, also COOL AS FUCK PROMO ART HELL YEAH.

check out muh funny art plz lol

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 21:03:37

Nice nice nicceee- I was drawing some metal slug just last week and this is the perfect reason to draw some more.

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 21:10:26

iu_144611_8093275.jpg

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 21:11:18

At 7/17/20 09:10 PM, AdamStarkiller wrote:

indeed..

get ready for one hell of a ride

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 22:04:27

At 7/17/20 07:49 PM, PocketWorks wrote: I WANT TO PARTICIPATE VERY MUCH AAAAAAAA

Me too.

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 22:11:45

I wonder if sprite animations are allowed in this jam. Usage of ripped copyrighted sprites from existing games is sorta a grey area here.

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 22:18:48

I'm glad my small input helped inspire the decision to make Neo Geo the theme for the next NG Jam! Looking forward to see what people end up making !

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 22:37:56

Question, can you submit more then one animation entry for the neogeo jam?

I think I'll join this

Response to Neo Geo Jam! 2020-07-17 22:39:45

Oh man this is gonna be so fun! I'm glad my suggestion helped in this decision and I'm totally down to participate!