00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

VelvetsFunzone just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cool Game Stuff

2,534 Views | 23 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-18 11:31:54

@TheInterviewer is back and has shared an interview with @NCH! Did you watch Yoshi Stranding?

Hope everyone out there is healthy and staying home as much as possible. Today is day six since everyone in our county was told to stay home and the kids have started their at-home schooling which appears more and more likely to be what the rest of this school year will look like. 

My youngest has been making a game with Bitsy and it’s been fun to see what he comes up with. To quote the creator: “Bitsy is a little editor for little games or worlds. The goal is to make it easy to make games where you can walk around and talk to people and be somewhere.”

You can play a bunch of Bitsy games here on NG to get a feel for what is possible!

I also played a game this morning called Porklike, which might be the first Pico-8 game to implement our Newgrounds.io API for medals and high scores. Pico-8 is all about constraints so implementing the API takes some extra footwork; I’ve actually been talking to @FreeAsANerd of The Company of Myself fame about making a formal Newgrounds library for it. I’d love to play The Merciless Deep with high scores some day.

I was going to link to the Pico-8 website but it appears to be down at the moment! I might update this later if it’s back up.

While on the topic of games, Kill the Kingpin has Hotline Miami vibes and some great visual flair! That one was made with Unity.

That’s my stream of consciousness for this morning, I’ll be planning to make more random posts in the coming days and weeks since life is weird right now. Hope you aren’t getting too Stir Crazy! Remember we’re offering Double XP today through Sunday, March 29th. This means you can log 20 XP per day by voting on at least ten entries.

What are you doing to spend the time on lock-down today? Have any favorite things you’ve found here on Newgrounds?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-18 11:58:36 (edited 2020-03-18 12:00:18)

Hope everyone had a safe and fun paddy’s day!

iu_102209_2070723.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-18 12:05:30 (edited 2020-03-18 12:17:50)

Glad you and your family are safe and healthy. I'm jealous of your kid, I wish I'd had tools like that when I was growing up. Sounds like a lot of fun. :)

At 3/18/20 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: What are you doing to spend the time on lock-down today? Have any favorite things you’ve found here on Newgrounds?

Finishing some at-home work today and tomorrow, and then completely revamping my studio room! Super excited about that. I'm also trying to take this time to get in better shape. I'm going to do a hard workout today which I'm sort of dreading and also sort of can't wait for.

Some of the art on the Newgrounds front page lately has been absolutely amazing. Just chosen at random I love the colors and little moving details in this one, a pixel art that was just posted:

And it's good to see Daniel's stuff as always

His amazing sprite portfolio: http://www.lorestrome.com/portfolio/sprite.htm

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-18 12:47:00

At 3/18/20 12:37 PM, Greenskullkid wrote: Thats neat, its like a simplified gamemaker.

Can you post one of your sons games?

Whatever happened to Pico 2?

I might post his game when he’s done if he wants to share it. Pico 2 remains in limbo, a demo of it appears on your account page if you’re a supporter but I should probably make that public at some point, maybe once it all runs fine with Ruffle. At this point if I revisit it I would be redoing it all in Unity and it would be 3D.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-18 12:50:02 (edited 2020-03-18 12:55:20)

At 3/18/20 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: What are you doing to spend the time on lock-down today?

I'm not on lockdown but my job has been cuttin my hours a bunch, so Imma basically be home all day for the next week or two since I never leave the house normally.

Imma be MAKIN some game shit hehehe

also still the dream to be interviewed by TheInterviewer.... one of these days...

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-18 14:33:30

Hoping to possibly release a new smaller game and make a bunch of progress on my large game, getting close to finishing up the bad-boy.

Can't wait to release both of them on Newgrounds and get all the hermit people to play them!

bubba gump

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-18 15:23:15

At 3/18/20 12:47 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/18/20 12:37 PM, Greenskullkid wrote: Thats neat, its like a simplified gamemaker.

Can you post one of your sons games?

Whatever happened to Pico 2?
I might post his game when he’s done if he wants to share it. Pico 2 remains in limbo, a demo of it appears on your account page if you’re a supporter but I should probably make that public at some point, maybe once it all runs fine with Ruffle. At this point if I revisit it I would be redoing it all in Unity and it would be 3D.

One day, there is hope!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-18 15:33:31

At 3/18/20 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: What are you doing to spend the time on lock-down today? Have any favorite things you’ve found here on Newgrounds?

Going to spend my time with Doom Eternal once that comes out this friday.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-18 16:40:14

At 3/18/20 03:33 PM, Art3misJinx wrote:

I want to do this so bad but I feel like other parents would judge me.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-18 16:56:39

I'll be staying home for now,but might get out every now and then because this Situation i think gives some unique opportunities to do some cool stuff.This backlog of mine needs work.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-18 19:15:19

I've actually locked myself up to finally learn Unity and am starting a full game project!

Newgrounds has always been a huge inspiration to my creativity and I've got a long long LONG road ahead!

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-18 21:33:04

@FreeAsANerd is lowkey one of the GOATs of web entertainment. Been following his stuff ever since I played Reverb in 6th grade.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-18 22:10:18

I had a go with it.

I remember as a kid we used rm2k. It was so easy and fast and still seems more advance than so many modern game makers.

Also got people computer literate quick because you'd be making the NPCs AI and editing sprites/resources in no in no time. It'd be amazing if someone thought up a way to make all of that stuff stream-able one day.

Over here some ISPs have gone down. It'll probably get worse when Disney+ launches :P

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-19 04:54:45

Your a marvelous man, Tom Fulp

Coolier than thou

Best Toon

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-19 09:00:14

At 3/18/20 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: My youngest has been making a game with Bitsy

The joy I feel at this sentence... Tom you must be so proud. :)

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-19 13:50:54

At 3/18/20 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: What are you doing to spend the time on lock-down today?

I've sequestered myself at home all week, so not too much of a change =P

iu_102466_1277586.jpg

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-19 15:06:30

At 3/18/20 04:40 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Only if you tell them about it...

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-19 15:08:00

Not on lockdown at all over here, but paranoia is a brewing, as it has been the last week. Back to commuting tomorrow so hopefully sick people stay off my train...

Pretty cool stuff going on with all these game engines too.

At 3/18/20 11:58 AM, RobertClock wrote: Hope everyone had a safe and fun paddy’s day!

The way the photo and poster go together... that's pretty artsy. Half real/half painted. Within and without a frame. Like you're breaking a fourth wall somehow... probably not intentional but that's a pretty captivating photo.

Happy SPD RC!

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-20 07:14:56

At 3/19/20 05:26 PM, SethSkoda wrote: Totally unrelated, but I see that you updated the private message system. It looks great!

Yeah just noticed this too. :) Surprised there wasn't some grand announcement for it but I guess that's coming!

I notice > characters disappear if you start a line with them, both in and outside quotes. Also feel like the 'manage messages' text to open the checkbox toggle is a bit unnecessary, but overall this feels hella smooth.

No too radical changes either. Love the new mood overlay. Most areas feel more so cleaned up and tweaked than changed unnecessarily.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-20 09:00:32

At 3/18/20 04:40 PM, TomFulp wrote:

So what? Fuck them. Raise your kids in the Newgrounds way.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-21 12:07:23

I am just laying low and trying to survive with my supplies.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-22 07:15:21

At 3/21/20 12:07 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: I am just laying low and trying to survive with my supplies.

Hope you managed to stash some toilet paper before it all ran out? ;) Things seem pretty crazy over there...

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-25 02:39:19

At 3/22/20 07:15 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/21/20 12:07 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: I am just laying low and trying to survive with my supplies.
Hope you managed to stash some toilet paper before it all ran out? ;) Things seem pretty crazy over there...

Yes, I am good on tp and paper towels. However, I am very low on alcohol and santizer.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Game Stuff 2020-03-25 05:27:10 (edited 2020-03-25 05:30:58)

At 3/25/20 02:39 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Yes, I am good on tp and paper towels. However, I am very low on alcohol and santizer.

Nice. Should be OK as long as you still have soap and water too. :) Sanitizer's overrated as a disinfectant. It doesn't kill everything, while soap easily washes everything away if used properly. But is a good complement for whenever you're out and about.

For that reason I'm pretty surprised people are going so crazy over that sanitizer though...

BBS Signature