00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Etwig just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64

31,117 Views | 644 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 22:57:42

What's all this Tom foolery

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:00:21

Okay, I've spent some serious time getting caught up on all the NGADraMa...

@ColinMuir - You have been accused of cheating by using an arrangement of a preexisting piano piece, which is clearly against the Tournament Rules. Everything from this stage onward needs to be 100% new and original, without exception. Failure to adhere to the rules can only result in disqualification.

What say you?

At 7/9/17 11:00 PM, ChronoNomad wrote: Okay, I've spent some serious time getting caught up on all the NGADraMa...

@ColinMuir - You have been accused of cheating by using an arrangement of a preexisting piano piece, which is clearly against the Tournament Rules. Everything from this stage onward needs to be 100% new and original, without exception. Failure to adhere to the rules can only result in disqualification.

What say you?

i say kick me. this past week was so emotional for me and i didnt even have in mind yiruma. but whatever. i made something out of my emotions, my feelings. i dont care anymore, i sat down at my piano and composed what i felt and what i loved, and i havent learned or looked at yirumas sheet music. if expressing my emotions out of myself is not good enough to be origional then so be it, im having a hard time with depression, but none of you would care. just disqualify me. please. ill even take down the song. my friends listened to it and were so happy and they cried.. thats al l that matters to me. thanks for everything everyone here

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:07:19

What say you?

Not that I'm any sort of mod or anything...but it depends on how 'arranged' it actually is. Sampling a single chord is one thing, but adding drums to an existing piece is another.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:12:23

At 7/9/17 11:07 PM, ColinMuir wrote: i say kick me. this past week was so emotional for me and i didnt even have in mind yiruma. but whatever. i made something out of my emotions, my feelings. i dont care anymore, i sat down at my piano and composed what i felt and what i loved, and i havent learned or looked at yirumas sheet music. if expressing my emotions out of myself is not good enough to be origional then so be it, im having a hard time with depression, but none of you would care. just diqualify me

I haven't listened to your piece yet, nor have I ever heard the Yiruma piece in question, but it's not impossible you could have created a very similar composition. I'll have to take a listen for myself later. It's entirely possible you could have pulled a Pharell and Robin Thicke and accidentally parroted elements you'd heard before. If it wasn't your intention and you're not joking, I'm inclined to give you a chance.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:15:42

At 7/9/17 11:12 PM, EDM364 wrote: If it wasn't your intention and you're not joking, I'm inclined to give you a chance.

I completely agree with this. Perhaps we should let the judges individually decide whether or not this piece is validly original or not?

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

At 7/9/17 11:07 PM, ColinMuir wrote: i say kick me. this past week was so emotional for me and i didnt even have in mind yiruma. but whatever. i made something out of my emotions, my feelings. i dont care anymore, i sat down at my piano and composed what i felt and what i loved, and i havent learned or looked at yirumas sheet music. if expressing my emotions out of myself is not good enough to be origional then so be it, im having a hard time with depression, but none of you would care. just disqualify me. please. ill even take down the song. my friends listened to it and were so happy and they cried.. thanks for everything everyone

I just need to know, without any unnecessary exposition, if this track was all you.

What would you think if the roles were reversed? The similarities are there, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was either intended or purposeful. Don't think for one second that I enjoy this or don't care about issues like depression, because that's crap. And it smacks of deflection.

I'm inclined to agree with @EDM364 and @TaintedLogic and think we should all just listen and draw our own conclusions. I am not prepared to disqualify this.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:18:21

At 7/9/17 11:15 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
I just need to know, without any unnecessary exposition, if this track was all you.

just.. do what you must.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:21:09

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:23:42

At 7/9/17 11:21 PM, AceMantra wrote: Dumping song thing.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/754519

Dude I feel like this song is literally the anthem for everyone currently rushing to finish

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:26:46

At 7/9/17 11:18 PM, ColinMuir wrote: just.. do what you must.

C'mon man, pick yourself up. You're a musician. You deal with this shit every day. Wallowing in depression isn't going to do anything but make you miserable. At some point we must declare that we're the masters of our minds, our responses to situations, and to some degree, our destiny. We might not decide what happens to us, but we decide what we do about it. Whatever happens, you can deal with it, I promise you. I survived my own suicide, and I'm here today.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:36:11

At 7/9/17 11:21 PM, AceMantra wrote: Dumping song thing.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/754519

And that makes...44? Hmm, we seem to be missing quite a few tracks with very little time left until the deadline...

We've got just three folks who are currently confirmed for extensions, and they happen to be @SourJovis and @Spadezer for filling spots really late in the game, and @JeremyKingVA due to completely electrical failure.

That accounts for a grand total of 47...out of 64.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:39:28

I'm inclined to agree with @EDM364 and @TaintedLogic and think we should all just listen and draw our own conclusions. I am not prepared to disqualify this.

I hate to be the bad guy... But as a pianist who has played River Flows in You hundreds of times (by heart), there is no way this was an accidental similarity. This is a MIDI rip. I can hear exactly which notes have been changed, ahaha. The piece wasn't played by a human either; even if it was quanticed, there would be more dynamics in the velocities.
The behaviour in the forum doesn't make the situation less unclear either.

That said, there are a few parts, like the intro, that aren't directly taken from the MIDI, at least not from the original arrangement. I cannot attest to whether said parts are original or not. But the accused parts are indeed copied, and slightly altered.

@ColinMuir

Your character has become questionable to me, which is why I am unsure whether the depression is an act too, or not. If it isn't, I strongly recommend searching for help from say, a therapist if you haven't already looked into such. I'm sorry that you didn't feel confident enough to submit something completely original to this contest. But perhaps in the future, you will?
Either way, I'm sorry to out you so unforgivingly, but I feel it would be even worse of me not to. Hopefully, you'll manage to pick yourself up.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:39:47

At 7/9/17 11:36 PM, ChronoNomad wrote: That accounts for a grand total of 47...out of 64.

Yeahhhhh this actually has me a bit worried

I was sort of anticipating this from the start

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:44:22

BBS Signature

@ColinMuir

Defend your music, or admit that you stole it. Don't whine. That will get you nowhere here, or anywhere else.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:45:45

At 7/9/17 11:44 PM, etherealwinds wrote: I'm just gonna drop this here
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/754524

In with 15 minutes to spare! Nicely done.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:52:30

At 7/9/17 11:45 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
At 7/9/17 11:44 PM, etherealwinds wrote: I'm just gonna drop this here
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/754524
In with 15 minutes to spare! Nicely done.

<3

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:53:17

At 7/9/17 10:02 PM, Ectisity wrote: @Snowteddy @TaintedLogic @Chrononomad
That last part is "River flows in you" by Yiruma.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7maJOI3QMu0

Personally I don't think it's simillar enough to be called a blatant rip-off, but it's ridiculously simillar at times

I listen to Yiruma on Pandora and I've heard the song come up a couple times. It's pretty similar in my opinion.

"People say my music tells a story, that it transports them into a new plain of reality. I'd like to tell that story and perhaps show you something wonderful" - Teckmo-X

i am so sorry for everything. i went ahead and re wrote it, i did not mean for this in any way to be an arrangement of anything. this is my song that i composed on my little piano this week for people that i love. so here it is, i hope this fixed the problem.. i couldnt change the file in the origional for some reason so i just posted a new one, so this is the song i will be submitting

Save!

I'm 11 hours ahead of the US and I stayed overnight for this.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:56:18

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:57:52

almost didnt made it... i had finals this week... it screwed my schedule to work on this song :(

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-09 23:58:00

I was hoping I'd have less than a minute to spare when I finished everything... But for once I managed to finish the work early!

This is mine and SnowTeddy's entry:

Good luck, everyone!

At 7/9/17 11:39 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote:

I hate to be the bad guy... But as a pianist who has played River Flows in You hundreds of times (by heart), there is no way this was an accidental similarity. This is a MIDI rip. I can hear exactly which notes have been changed, ahaha. The piece wasn't played by a human either; even if it was quanticed, there would be more dynamics in the velocities.
The behaviour in the forum doesn't make the situation less unclear either.

That said, there are a few parts, like the intro, that aren't directly taken from the MIDI, at least not from the original arrangement. I cannot attest to whether said parts are original or not. But the accused parts are indeed copied, and slightly altered.

@ColinMuir

Your character has become questionable to me, which is why I am unsure whether the depression is an act too, or not. If it isn't, I strongly recommend searching for help from say, a therapist if you haven't already looked into such. I'm sorry that you didn't feel confident enough to submit something completely original to this contest. But perhaps in the future, you will?
Either way, I'm sorry to out you so unforgivingly, but I feel it would be even worse of me not to. Hopefully, you'll manage to pick yourself up.

that really hurts.. to see that you would just go at me like that. saying i did this and that, when there was one melody, that was like yirumas. i dont even know how to get a midi rip, or even use one. yes it may be played by a computer, but only becuase i dont have the money to buy such microphones for my own piano. and if i did, i would use them and my music could be like i would want... i already re wrote the parts that were accused of similarity... so there you go. so sorry for all this, i really am

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-10 00:00:53

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-10 00:07:23

At 7/10/17 12:00 AM, johnfn wrote: @ethansight and me yay
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/754531

AND THAT'S THE GAME!

Time's up, folks. I've got to add all these last-minute entries to the roster, but we're definitely still missing a bunch of Newgrounders here, which is somewhat concerning.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-10 00:09:47

@Phonometrologist
@LucidShadowDreamer
@EtherealWinds

i love u guys for submitting right at the deadline with me. it makes me laugh to see your gibberish descriptions rushed out in the 5 seconds before the deadline

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-07-10 00:14:57

I GOT IT HERE holy shit that went a little overtime.

Couldn't get over how it was mastered, but here it is.

The world is made out of immaterial, timeless, dimensionless, self-aware wave-mechanical substrate which is projecting reality (itself) as a screen-like formation of a mind.