00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vaittus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Collabinator & Swivel

27,084 Views | 89 Replies
Respond to this Topic

The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 14:36:46

Mike released Swivel this weekend and it is changing lives! Swivel converts just about any SWF to an amazing 1080p video. You can upload those videos to your existing projects and our system will serve them to mobile and TV viewers while retaining your SWF as the default for web viewers, unless you change defaults under your Advanced Options.

More big news today!

Collaborating with talented people is kinda like dating; you see someone you like and you think you'd be good together, but they look busy and maybe you aren't their type. So you stand there and stare at them but you never work up the nerve to approach them.

I was a big fan of Dan Paladin's animations but I never had a clue he wanted to make games. One day, Dan contacted me out of the blue and asked if I wanted to make a game. We tossed together Sack Smash pretty quickly and had fun. Then we made Alien Hominid. Then we formed the Behemoth and made Alien Hominid for consoles. Then we made Castle Crashers and ended up with one of the best selling XBLA games of all time. None of that would have happened if Dan didn't just ask me if I wanted to make a game.

To help get you wallflowers off the walls, we've developed The Collabinator!

Want to make something? Click the link to "Add Yourself", check off the boxes for your talents, click the boxes for what talents you are seeking, specify your time period and provide an explanation of what you hope to achieve.

Potential soulmates will then find you when they filter the listings - artists seeking voice actors, programmers seeking musicians, etc.

When you see someone on this list, you know they are actively interested in CREATING SOMETHING. Listings max out at one month but can also be for just 24-48 hours; perfect for impromptu movie and game jams, or whatever jams come up.

Hopefully people will put themsleves out there and find some interesting opportunities! The system is only open to NG content contributors and supporters at the moment. Listings are ranked by number of fans, so if a superstar decides they want to collab, you'll know it.

Everyone thank liljim for the programinating! Also smulse for the htmlinade.

In other news...

Comic Jam 4 has been announced and will take place the weekend of February 22nd. You can work alone or partner up... Perhaps using The Collabinator!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 14:40:38

At 1/29/13 02:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: Everyone thank liljim for the programinating!

Thanks liljim!

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 14:41:26

At 1/29/13 02:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: To help get you wallflowers off the walls, we've developed The Collabinator!

awesome! Question is: What will become of the collab forum?

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 14:43:29

At 1/29/13 02:41 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 1/29/13 02:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: To help get you wallflowers off the walls, we've developed The Collabinator!
awesome! Question is: What will become of the collab forum?

The collab forum is still useful for the more in-depth organizational discussion, HOWEVER, I do think a lot that maybe collaborations could happen in the individual forums such as Animation, Audio, Art, Writing and ultimately Game Development (to broaden that beyond specific languages and platforms).

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 14:46:08

First Swivel and now the Collabinator? NG just keeps getting better and better! May make use of the Collabinator in the foreseeable future, it will certainly increase the amount of collabs.

Thanks liljim and thanks again Mike!

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 14:48:38

HAhahahaha this is the cutest thing Newgrounds has ever done.
Please add the text in this News post, or something similar that introduces the colabinator, to the Colabinator page. I want this to be a thing people use.
I might draw fan-art of this.

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 14:51:00

At 1/29/13 02:48 PM, I-smel wrote: HAhahahaha this is the cutest thing Newgrounds has ever done.
Please add the text in this News post, or something similar that introduces the colabinator, to the Colabinator page. I want this to be a thing people use.
I might draw fan-art of this.

Yeah the page could use an intro... And maybe C-Bot... Gotta talk to MindChamber about that. FAN ART SOUNDS AWESOME.

Also Squidly is a good example of the sort of things I hoped to see! He has a project in mind, explains the style he wants, I hope he finds someone awesome and makes something awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 14:54:41

Also C-Bot could have two heads, because two heads are better than one!

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 14:56:40

At 1/29/13 02:54 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also C-Bot could have two heads, because two heads are better than one!

C-Bot should be two robots, and should be yellow.
In my head I was thinking of the Tankmen girl with a clipboard and heart glasses, and going with a love-doctor theme to play on the joke that it's a datng site interface.

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 14:57:41

Oh maybe C-bot should be a voltron of ALL THE ROBOTS.

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 14:58:47

If CBot is a matchmaker, he should be a little robo-cupid.

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:03:04

First, Swivel, and now the Collabinator? Cool.

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:04:14

Man, Voltron, Cupid, these are all good... Now I can't decide.

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:07:20

With the pain of the Global Game Jam fresh in my mind, I can say one of the hardest parts of the Jam was finding good collaborators -- people who aren't just the same as you, but actually complement your talents.

So dear god yes thank you for The Collabinator. I hope it also gets more lurkers to finally jump into coding/art/animation/sound/writing/whatever, if they have a buddy to do it with!

Games, Toons, and Other Escapes From Reality.

NutcaseNightmare [dot] com

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:12:56

This is wonderful

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:17:10

That sounds good. The filters in the Collabinator looks like it is much easier to seek and find projects than the collab forum

At 1/29/13 02:43 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/29/13 02:41 PM, egg82 wrote: awesome! Question is: What will become of the collab forum?
The collab forum is still useful for the more in-depth organizational discussion, HOWEVER, I do think a lot that maybe collaborations could happen in the individual forums such as Animation, Audio, Art, Writing and ultimately Game Development (to broaden that beyond specific languages and platforms).

I think it's been suggested by others that project threads in places other than the collab forum would help bring back some life into them.

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:24:03

Wow, this is seriously awesome.

Check out my pages!

Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:24:26

Just use F-bot geez she's just lying there anyway

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:27:29

The image should be the top-half of a robot with a red head, green left arm and pink right arm, and his familiar should be cupid.
Y'know like the lil floating buddies in Castle Crashers.

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:34:18

NG Presents: Tom's List

HELP WANTED ADS R US

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:36:13

At 1/29/13 03:27 PM, I-smel wrote: The image should be the top-half of a robot with a red head, green left arm and pink right arm, and his familiar should be cupid.
Y'know like the lil floating buddies in Castle Crashers.

We might go with this one!

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:36:39

I'm having fun just seeing who bumps everyone else down the list, like "A New Challenger Has Appeared!"

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:38:37

Damn guys this is great!

I might need some extra talent in the near future, so awesome!

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:42:52

Newgrounds has really been pumping out some great features recently.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:49:11

I'm getting a broken page when you hit Page 2 button

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:49:50

At 1/29/13 03:42 PM, LiquidFire wrote: Newgrounds has really been pumping out some great features recently.

Newgrounds is all about convinience! That's why I love it so much

Actually I keep getting a Google Chrome error page. I take it there's still some bugs that need to be ironed out?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:53:33

shiet man, ya blew it

The Collabinator & Swivel

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:56:00

At 1/29/13 03:04 PM, Travis wrote: Here's a mega man 8 boss that you could base C-Bot off of...

This is simply amazing! I can't wait to start working with people, thank you so much for such a great feature.

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:57:34

The idea is brilliant, Newgrounds is having every day more interesting news!

[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]

[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 15:59:14

Hmmm...

How do I get to the Collabinator page without clicking on the link in this thread?
Awesome idea, btw.

BBS Signature