00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Collabinator & Swivel

27,086 Views | 89 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 22:23:07

Haha, it's like a dating site...

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 22:35:42

great stuff tom!! Go newgrounds!!

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 22:41:39

I love the collabinator, though in checking it out I feel it needs to be slightly more specific in some areas, IE include subcategories similar to music.

FOR EXAMPLE, in looking for writers, something I actually would love to be able to do, I have no way of finding people focused toward short comedy sketches or gags, and get a LOT of "I have this epic series Idea", which I really wanna stay away from.

Also, I might be working on an animation and want someone to paint a main menu pic, or be drawing linework I'd want colored, but the only option atm is to be an artist looking for an artist, which is so broad it hurts my head. IE it includes animation, painting, color, linework, photography, etc.

Aside from that, I think this is an AWESOME idea!

follow me: TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 22:47:53

One problem I see is that I often don't know whether the people who are posting in the collabinator actually have their own game idea or are just looking to work on someone else's game idea. Should I assume that everyone who posts actually has an idea of what they wanna make?

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-29 23:03:15

wow that actually looks pretty useful

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 00:07:52

At 1/29/13 10:47 PM, TharosTheDragon wrote: One problem I see is that I often don't know whether the people who are posting in the collabinator actually have their own game idea or are just looking to work on someone else's game idea. Should I assume that everyone who posts actually has an idea of what they wanna make?

You shouldnt assume anything. The collabinator is just a blind date of sorts, if you are intruiged / curious, you contact the person and find out more <3

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 02:20:12

Might just try this out sometime in the future, sounds pretty fun =).

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 05:21:05

At 1/29/13 06:11 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I know its early days, and I don't want to be a guy who craps over an addition to the site that could really benefit, but:

In the future, would it be possible to distinguish between Projects and People doing self promotion?
I'm trying to filter through the things looking for projects that are looking for art, but instead most of the stuff is people who are up-for-anything.

Sounds like a really great idea. I haven't used the feature myself, but I can see it would be it annoying if you look for one thing, but only find the other thing.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 05:28:54

Awesome news! :)

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 06:08:10

That's a great new feature! Thanks Tom, liljim and the rest of the NG staff!

I'm not looking for any collaboration at the moment - I'm slowly working on my Madness Day entry, which I've decided to start early because of its complexity. I'll try to draw stuff myself - after all, I don't need much more than Hank, Jesus, Tricky, and people with crosses on their faces - but if it turns out that I can't even handle that, this feature will be really useful!

Of course, given my incredibly small number of fans, I doubt anyone will see what I put up. Besides, I'm obviously not fit to collaborate with anyone with 3000+ fans. Perhaps you could add a feature to show only people with about the same number of fans and batting average. That way, newbies like me can collaborate with newbies in other fields. :)

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 10:07:51

Some useful stuff here :)
This is going to help people out a lot!

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 16:43:56

At 1/30/13 06:08 AM, FlyingColours wrote: Besides, I'm obviously not fit to collaborate with anyone with 3000+ fans. Perhaps you could add a feature to show only people with about the same number of fans and batting average. That way, newbies like me can collaborate with newbies in other fields. :)

That's a horrible idea. You shouldn't be afraid to collaborate with people just because they have more fans or have a larger portfolio.

That's what game jams were all about. How someone with 10 years of experience with flash could work with someone still learning and create something awesome. Or even, maybe this 10 year vet may learn something.

You can't imagine how many great things would't be, if people had been afraid to ask.

Maybe Dan Paladin was saying "Man, this Tom guy made this website and is so awesome, he'd never work with me", and POOF, no Alien Hominid, no Castle Crashers, no Behemoth (and possibly NG may never have been where it is now)

And from personal experience, Concerned Joe would have never earned as much money as it did, or garnered the portal score/views if Xelu hadn't sent this random PM to Johnny Utah asking for help.

You never know if the other person would be thrilled that you contacted them, and maybe they've been a fan of YOU all along.

Don't be afraid to collaborate.

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 17:10:19

At 1/29/13 05:39 PM, RealFaction wrote: After this front page post is gone, how will we get to the Collabinator? Forgive me if I didnt see it in the text but I don't see it as a clickable option anywhere else currently. Will it be a button in the Project System, or an option under Community?

Under the Games, Movies, Audio, and Art tabs there is a "team up!" link.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-30 17:47:53

I'd love to try out the collab feature but I know I'd never have enough time to really help anyone out. Still, totally awesome though.

First blood! First topic of 2010!

KC Green has just won my heart.

Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 01:10:43

I like the roots up approach to improving NG,

This stuff rules!

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 04:47:53

I know about Swiffy, but will you guys release a version where you can convert Flash games into HTML5?

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 04:56:06

At 1/31/13 04:47 AM, Rawnern wrote: I know about Swiffy, but will you guys release a version where you can convert Flash games into HTML5?

While we're reinventing physics, anything else you'd like us to change?

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 06:11:04

Woah nice art works :)

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 07:10:43

i have no idea ?

At 1/29/13 02:41 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 1/29/13 02:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: To help get you wallflowers off the walls, we've developed The Collabinator!
awesome! Question is: What will become of the collab forum?

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 07:30:12

This is the best update Newgrounds has done in a LONG time :D

Trying to post in topics that have no replies. Trust me it's a horrible feeling when nobody replies to your topic :{

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 07:39:51

At 1/31/13 07:10 AM, sharpsknife wrote: awesome! Question is: What will become of the collab forum?

If I understood correctly, the collab forum will stay for collabs with more specific information and bigger teams.

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 08:49:00

At 1/29/13 05:43 PM, FightingSeraph wrote: Goddamn, Shouldn't we step back a bit to make sure that both Swivel and Collabinator are actually benificial instead of debilitating? You guys may have hated what I said, but honesty and skepticism are better than blind faith.

How IS NOT turning your video into a format anyone can view on any device not beneficial?

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 13:37:00

At 1/31/13 01:30 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: Well theoretically people could use it to completely leave NG for Youtube.
But it is good in pretty much every other way.

Well, fuck. Never thought of that one before.

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-01-31 15:17:16

At 1/31/13 01:30 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote:
At 1/31/13 08:49 AM, MindChamber wrote: How IS NOT turning your video into a format anyone can view on any device not beneficial?
Well theoretically people could use it to completely leave NG for Youtube.
But it is good in pretty much every other way.

That was happening anyway because NG didnt support video.. Swivel has nothing to do with that, and in fact its giving new flash animators that are just now starting to outgrow flash and its constraints an immediate option to post work here.

Swivel also serves as a form of advertisement for animator who have used the converter and now are seeing Newgrounds as an option for further exposure,,,

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-02-01 04:20:43

Ok... the NG Social button has been completely maxed out for optimum 'hairiness'.
The Collabinator want-ad setup is also a boon... but what about all those little bugs, like the secrets system, the obituary page, accidental double and triple posts (not everyone has a steady internet connection)? And, oh, the ability to post multiple images on our user pages?
Don't get me wrong, really glad I bought the supporter badge. Guess you'll have time to address these issues after the game's released (good luck with that, bruh!)

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-02-01 07:45:40

I love you forever Tom, and Mike...

Watch Shark Black HERE Watch CoolJaw HERE

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-02-02 08:31:54

At 1/31/13 04:56 AM, smulse wrote:
At 1/31/13 04:47 AM, Rawnern wrote: I know about Swiffy, but will you guys release a version where you can convert Flash games into HTML5?
While we're reinventing physics, anything else you'd like us to change?

@smulse

Ok? What do you mean? There's an app online called Swiffy by Google. You can convert Flash games into HTML5.

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-02-02 11:19:47

At 2/2/13 08:31 AM, Rawnern wrote: There's an app online called Swiffy by Google. You can convert Flash games into HTML5.

Yeah but it's not that simple. Even if you came close to being able to convert AS to JS/HTML5 it would never be perfect, and it would no doubt be buggy and have awful performance issues. The examples they provide are incredibly basic examples (aka, detect a key press), nothing more advanced than that.

Writing things in one language isn't interchangeable with another by running it through some convertor.

BBS Signature

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-02-03 23:40:43

At 2/2/13 11:19 AM, smulse wrote:
At 2/2/13 08:31 AM, Rawnern wrote: There's an app online called Swiffy by Google. You can convert Flash games into HTML5.
Yeah but it's not that simple. Even if you came close to being able to convert AS to JS/HTML5 it would never be perfect, and it would no doubt be buggy and have awful performance issues. The examples they provide are incredibly basic examples (aka, detect a key press), nothing more advanced than that.

Writing things in one language isn't interchangeable with another by running it through some convertor.

I agree, but it works pretty good and it's still in a early developer phase. It does not support many of the elements Flash has. Hopefully it will become much better. (They add more and more...)

Though, games work really good afterward - I haven't seen any diffrence. Just some lag on older smartphones, but on iPad and newer it works great :)

Response to The Collabinator & Swivel 2013-02-04 12:38:22

Awesome feature additions. :)

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature