00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Falkon0re just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Html5!

895 Views | 11 Replies

Html5! 2012-10-11 13:05:41

inb4 Tom

So I saw this game, and I noticed it had HTML5 in it and the UJ screen looked different.
What does it mean? Does it mean NG will finally begin hosting HTML5 games?
See pic below.

Html5!

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Html5! 2012-10-11 15:04:38

Yeah, we recently added support for html5 games. This is currently in a closed beta state while we feel things out, and we are currently using it to host some MMO type games that are technically flash games, but have to run from remote servers.

Once we get all the kinks identified and fixed, we'll be inviting more developers to submit html5 content, but given how easily these formats can be used for abuse and malicious purposes, we probably won't be letting everyone submit html5 content.

Response to Html5! 2012-10-11 15:43:34

At 10/11/12 03:04 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Yeah, we recently added support for html5 games.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
are you trying to phase out flash?

This is currently in a closed beta state while we feel things out, and we are currently using it to host some MMO type games that are technically flash games, but have to run from remote servers.

Once we get all the kinks identified and fixed, we'll be inviting more developers to submit html5 content, but given how easily these formats can be used for abuse and malicious purposes, we probably won't be letting everyone submit html5 content.

how is permission gained?
what if a legit author is hacked or changes there ethos
must game source be proof read
must moderators approve it before it can be voted on

Response to Html5! 2012-10-11 16:50:21

Oh wow, that's great. But I still don't see why anyone would chose to make games/movies in html5/css3 instea of flash.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Html5! 2012-10-11 16:51:55

At 10/11/12 04:50 PM, LiquidFire wrote: Oh wow, that's great. But I still don't see why anyone would chose to make games/movies in html5/css3 instea of flash.

i dunno, maybe because PEOPLE WITH SMARTPHONES might actually wanna see stuff on NG.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Html5! 2012-10-11 18:04:16

At 10/11/12 04:51 PM, TheMajormel wrote:
At 10/11/12 04:50 PM, LiquidFire wrote: Oh wow, that's great. But I still don't see why anyone would chose to make games/movies in html5/css3 instea of flash.
i dunno, maybe because PEOPLE WITH SMARTPHONES might actually wanna see stuff on NG.

Then they should buy an android.

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Html5! 2012-10-11 18:06:42

At 10/11/12 03:04 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Yeah, we recently added support for html5 games. This is currently in a closed beta state while we feel things out, and we are currently using it to host some MMO type games that are technically flash games, but have to run from remote servers.

Thats actually pretty cool.

At 10/11/12 04:51 PM, TheMajormel wrote: i dunno, maybe because PEOPLE WITH SMARTPHONES might actually wanna see stuff on NG.

People who are smart enough not to buy an iPhone can see stuff on NG, seems like you arent that smart.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Html5! 2012-10-11 18:28:27

At 10/11/12 04:51 PM, TheMajormel wrote: i dunno, maybe because PEOPLE WITH SMARTPHONES might actually wanna see stuff on NG.
People who are smart enough not to buy an iPhone can see stuff on NG, seems like you arent that smart.

1. I dont own a iphone
2. i thought android and almost every other smart phone are gettng rid of flash?

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Html5! 2012-10-11 19:50:47

At 10/11/12 06:28 PM, TheMajormel wrote:
1. I dont own a iphone
2. i thought android and almost every other smart phone are gettng rid of flash?

Stupid move to be honest. I don't see the logic in suddenly stopping support for something that's still commonly used.

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Html5! 2012-10-11 19:56:16

This was stated before the redesign, but never mentioned when it would be implimented, just that it would.

I actually just thought NG already supported it. Im not quite sure whats different about HTML5 enough to warrant "abuse" of it though. Just another programming language aint it?

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Html5! 2012-10-11 20:10:40

Hmm...all HTML5 content should work on my S3, but this game doesn't. I just get redirected to the unplayable .zip after clicking "Start Game." It's fine on my laptop though.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Html5! 2012-10-12 19:29:34

At 10/11/12 07:56 PM, sweet21 wrote: This was stated before the redesign, but never mentioned when it would be implimented, just that it would.

I actually just thought NG already supported it. Im not quite sure whats different about HTML5 enough to warrant "abuse" of it though. Just another programming language aint it?

Not quite. HTML5 is just a new standards for the existing HTML language. But with the ability to use HTML comes the ability to use javascript, and the necessity of javascript so the canvas element can be controlled.

The concern is with javascript. Using something as simple as "for(i=0;i<1;i+=0){alert('hax')}" can cause an infinite loop and crash your browser. They could also use javascript to disable the vote buttons with the exception of "5" ([button].onclick=function(){return false}) or close the window the second you open the game (window.close()). There are a number of ways a phony HTML5 game could be used for evil, since Javascript, unlike Actionscript, has control over the entire window, rather than just a little sandboxed area where a plugin can run.

Hi