• 5 Replies
gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Improving the audio portal 2013-01-16 01:24:31

I honestly think the audio portal would be a lot better if the users had the option to disable the downloads. Why?

As a artist that's releasing and demo'in with record labels posting a song as freely available its pretty much going to stop the majority of labels being interested in the track. Now this doesn't seem a issue at first but think about it.

I am sure other people here are doing effectively the same thing as me. Producing a song and either releasing it or sending it away to labels and not posting there very best tracks on newgrounds. Sure lots of artists give away free songs as promo or what not but labels usually offer bigger and better exposure, making them more tempting.

So this means there is less quality tracks on the audio portal and as a end result this in return means there are less people listening to material posted here and as a side effect it other musicians will be discouraged from even creating a account in the first place.

Now i have heard the "Newgrounds is a site for flash, the music is for flash animators to use freely" line before. But whats to stop the flash animator pm'ing the musician and asking if they can use something? I personally think this makes more sense as the musician will know where and what is happening with there work as well as preventing it from being stolen.

The voting system needs a bit of tweeking too i think, but i have yet too think off a solution for it yet.

Sorry for the rant but i love this community and i want to see it do good.

gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Improving the audio portal 2013-01-16 01:52:23

And i just realized how badly typed that is.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Improving the audio portal 2013-01-16 05:22:33

Many people have already thought of similiar ideas as yours, and it was all discussed in the past in the Ways to improve the audio portal thread, a long time ago.

What you have thought of, is nothing particularly new, and disabling downloads 1. Destroys the premise of the audio portal in the first place, 2. Anything you view with your browser can be downloaded anyways regardless of wether the site "allows" downloads or not.

camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Improving the audio portal 2013-01-16 06:24:02

At 1/16/13 05:22 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: Many people have already thought of similiar ideas as yours, and it was all discussed in the past in the Ways to improve the audio portal thread, a long time ago.

What you have thought of, is nothing particularly new, and disabling downloads 1. Destroys the premise of the audio portal in the first place, 2. Anything you view with your browser can be downloaded anyways regardless of wether the site "allows" downloads or not.

I'm sorry, and not to sound rude or anything, but that's a load of bull. The portal has existed for almost ten years now and has considerably changed in it's actual intent and userbase, as has the rest of the internet. While the portal was originally constructed with the idea of providing essentially free music to use in their flash animations, the portal has grown FAR past the role of providing second-hand advertisement to it's members, as most of it's music is put on the site to be appreciated on it's own, and has become quite a powerful tool at that.

Unfortunately, the site's administration has obviously not caught-up to that, and as a result, the portal is now left with a fairly archaic distribution model. The most obvious example, as Gavin has so eloquently put it(and of which you were quick to dismiss), is their obstinacy to keep the obligatory download option. You put up a point yourself that today's technology provides any leastly competent user can very easily download anything on a webpage without the actual button. So you yourself admit that removing the button wouldn't actually affect the users' capability to access the music. What this DOES affect, though is the license at hand, AKA the forced CC agreement. By forcing the musician to give out the music for free, you essentially deprive him of his right to the fair-use agreement. This means he cannot in any way, shape or form use or copy any copyrighted material, be it a sound effect or a sample from the original song. This also cuts off artists wanting to put their own works that are being sold anywhere.

I find it completely ridiculous that in the year 2013, the AP has yet to revise it's model to follow it's users' and the rest of the web's evolution.

I know this subject has been talked about in the past, but I find a tad irritating certain mod's dismissive attitude towards a serious subject such as this by simply claiming that that's what the portal's about, while it quite evidently isn't! I'd like a serious discussion about the topic, and I do believe Gavin has a point.

TL;DR : Angry slightly drunk rant at 6:30 AM, think that the current model for the portal is based on an archaic conception of it's userbase and could most certainly use some improvements.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Improving the audio portal 2013-01-16 06:38:45

At 1/16/13 06:24 AM, camoshark wrote: Angry slightly drunk rant at 6:30 AM

Replied to you in the Ways to improve the audio portal thread.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Improving the audio portal 2013-01-16 16:36:37

At 1/16/13 06:38 AM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 1/16/13 06:24 AM, camoshark wrote: Angry slightly drunk rant at 6:30 AM
Replied to you in the Ways to improve the audio portal thread.

I totally forgot we have that thread... Anywho! Since people are carrying the discussion over there, I'ma close this to keep things from getting really confusing. Any further discussion should be posted in the thread linked above.

Audio/BBS Mod News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira \/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature