00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DegasTyson54 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ways to improve the Audio Portal?

108,894 Views | 625 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-18 00:14:20

At 3/17/16 11:49 PM, Bafana wrote:
At 3/17/16 09:23 PM, Sequenced wrote:
I specifically told him to remove those threads and start a discussion here but his opinions are too special and can't be unnoticed that he must make new threads that have already been made and discussed dozens of times.

i was making a sarcastic remark towards those threads. Tom does look through here.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-18 01:33:13

since there's a report system in place for abusive reviews, is there a similar system in the works for project submissions that violate rules n stuff? i feel like it'd help streamline the moderation process (NB: i don't know how review moderation works at all)

@TomFulp @BrenTheMan @liljim also whoever else works on audio portal stuff that i can't remember

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-18 03:47:50

At 3/18/16 01:33 AM, midimachine wrote: since there's a report system in place for abusive reviews, is there a similar system in the works for project submissions that violate rules n stuff? i feel like it'd help streamline the moderation process (NB: i don't know how review moderation works at all)

@TomFulp @BrenTheMan @liljim also whoever else works on audio portal stuff that i can't remember

I remember that the three of them are working to extend the flagging system to audio and other parts of the portals that don't have it. Right now I'm aware that we can at least flag art -- but I know that this much is in the pipeline.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-18 05:08:01

At 3/18/16 01:33 AM, midimachine wrote: since there's a report system in place for abusive reviews, is there a similar system in the works for project submissions that violate rules n stuff?

Yes. As a matter of fact it's what I'm currently working on, among other things.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-18 07:56:03

At 3/18/16 05:08 AM, liljim wrote:
At 3/18/16 01:33 AM, midimachine wrote: since there's a report system in place for abusive reviews, is there a similar system in the works for project submissions that violate rules n stuff?
Yes. As a matter of fact it's what I'm currently working on, among other things.

awesome, thanks!

p.s. i am gay

At 3/18/16 09:59 AM, constromlie wrote: Radio app?

i feel like this was something that was being talked about a couple years ago but didn't come to fruition. iirc someone made an unofficial one but it just streamed the songs directly without any other encoding.

it's a nice idea but tbh i wouldn't to hear 99% of the music on NG at a party or in my car since it's mostly pretty amateur, and i can say that since i have a bunch of cringey shit i made years ago still on here for posterity :v that said, i also wouldn't leave my soundcloud stream on at a party for the same reason. so yeaaaah!

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-19 10:43:18

Only allow 1 song per artist to be featured.

If you look now, there are all 4 by the same person. Seriously, what? That basically just hides everybody else's hard work.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-19 13:01:19

At 3/19/16 10:43 AM, Strykur wrote: Only allow 1 song per artist to be featured.

If you look now, there are all 4 by the same person. Seriously, what? That basically just hides everybody else's hard work.

Make that 6. I agree, it would be nice to see that.
You can't really blame PU for it though, his games make him deserve all of the followers he gets.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-19 13:04:36

At 3/19/16 01:01 PM, Gragon73 wrote:
Make that 6. I agree, it would be nice to see that.
You can't really blame PU for it though, his games make him deserve all of the followers he gets.

True. In fact I personally love his games, and I'm not blaming him because I don't think it was his intentions to get 4 features, he was merely releasing some songs. But I mean, come on. 6 songs on the front page of the audio portal is just stupid.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-21 03:18:25

At 3/20/16 09:19 PM, RealFaction wrote: Funny, i was coming to this thread to complain about the same problem. It proves the AP is flawed that way too and i think it's quite unfair to everyone else, i don't really see how it's possible, why it's that way...but for anyone else who doesn't know...here's the issue visually.

6 songs by PuffballsUnited...6...on the Audio page under "Popular Audio". Yes, they're all good songs, I listened to them, but this is just ridiculous. I know the staff is working on a new layout, can't wait for it to be rolled out so we can get rid of the flaws.

That is the exact same reason I came to this thread. I had a quick discussion with @constromlie about it and he told me about the thread.

Do you have any idea when the new layout is coming out? I'd love to see it happen, since there are at least a few quite apparent flaws in the current one.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-21 03:42:05

At 3/21/16 03:21 AM, RealFaction wrote: No idea. But yeah im there with ya. I'm guessing they're going to try and get it out sometime this year by the sounds of it but there's still a lot of work to be done, to be honest I have no clue.

Well it's at least good to hear that they acknowledge the flaws in the site and are working on something to get around them.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-21 15:19:07

Ooh, you've reminded me of the fact that random people can vote 0 to lower a songs score.

In theory, it should be a good idea. However, most people in the community who vote give no comments to the author on how they can improve at all. This is a problem with things that get masses of 5 stars, despite not being very good (though that is a lot less common), and things that get 0 without any reasoning on a potentially good track.

I think that this issue in particular is a problem with the community on the portal rather than the portal being messed up itself, but I'm not sure how they'd get around this issue.

At 3/21/16 03:19 PM, Strykur wrote: In theory, it should be a good idea. However, most people in the community who vote give no comments to the author on how they can improve at all. This is a problem with things that get masses of 5 stars, despite not being very good (though that is a lot less common), and things that get 0 without any reasoning on a potentially good track.

I feel like we're going back to the comments/reviews thing and how review scores should be what determines the value of a track.

Maybe we should just see it implemented rather than bringing this up again in April.

That or we get Under Judgment for audio, Best of the Month, and so on.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-21 21:48:07

At 3/21/16 09:41 PM, JosephTullis wrote: We need a new rating system put in place where you have to write a review along with your rating. This would put most zero-bombers at bay since they could no longer remain anonymous.

this idea has been addressed over and over again but i doubt itll happen

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-28 18:37:14

At 3/21/16 09:48 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 3/21/16 09:41 PM, JosephTullis wrote: We need a new rating system put in place where you have to write a review along with your rating. This would put most zero-bombers at bay since they could no longer remain anonymous.
this idea has been addressed over and over again but i doubt itll happen

Anybody else got any ideas? This has been a big issue for quite some time (obviously), but I'm not sure there are many ways around it.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-03-28 18:59:36

At 3/28/16 06:56 PM, JosephTullis wrote:
My idea is the best idea. It may sound cocky, but it is the truth. I know the website is busy in general and has to figure out how to balance time, but I think this is a very important thing to do for this site to get better. Any new users are going to feel belittled by zero star reviews without an explanation. I got upset when I first started out. In reality the entire site should have this system in-place. Is there a way I could give this idea on a general basis?

I don't think this sounds cocky because I agree, but I was wondering if anybody else had any other ideas. I doubt it will get implemented any time soon though, if at all :L

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-04-11 09:32:16

At 4/11/16 03:57 AM, PaulStetich wrote: So I haven't read the entire thing but there IS one thing I don't see on here

Back in 2006, before the major Newgrounds update the following year, I remembered that there was an internet radio station hosted right here on Newgrounds. I think it took place in the chatroom or something. But with so many submissions here on Newgrounds, and given that the audio portal is now basically 13 years old, perhaps it's time to bring something like that back

There already was a recent attempt to make an internet radio based on NG's Audio Portal (dating back to last year, I believe) but we don't really know what became of it.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-04-15 11:11:52

I have a suggestion. More Audio Portal genres.

The suggested genres are:
Easy Listening - Acoustic
Easy Listening - Disco
Easy Listening - Soul
Electronic - Breakbeat
Electronic - Concrete
Electronic - Dub
Electronic - Electro
Electronic - Electronica
Electronic - Hardcore
Electronic - Hardstyle
Electronic - Ragga
Electronic - Synthpop
Electronic - Tape
Electronic - Trap
Hip Hop, Rap, R&B - Grime
Hip Hop, Rap, R&B - Rap
Metal, Rock - Alternative Rock
Metal, Rock - Post-hardcore
Metal, Rock - Psychedelic Rock
Metal, Rock - Slow Rock
Other - Reggae

Any replies?

A rising star on the rise...

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-04-20 13:34:34

At 4/15/16 11:11 AM, FrenZeon wrote: I have a suggestion. More Audio Portal genres.

3/10 needs more future bass.

------

We had some good discussion about the scouting system and how it could be improved over here.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-05-29 14:01:29

At 4/15/16 11:11 AM, FrenZeon wrote: I have a suggestion. More Audio Portal genres.

Any replies?

Someone always brings this up genre but you know, there will always be disagreement over which ones should be included, excluded, merged, omitted. At the end of the day a genre is just that - a loose classification based on convention or perhaps style (debatable) or maybe even technique (controversial).

oh and electronica is not a legit genre ;P

I'm a noob.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-06-04 17:51:51

Any reconsideration for there being a running-on (a la the Audio forum lounge) "Now Listening" thread where we can share influences and such outside of the NG sphere?

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-06-05 08:51:07

At 6/4/16 05:51 PM, thebitterroost wrote: Any reconsideration for there being a running-on (a la the Audio forum lounge) "Now Listening" thread where we can share influences and such outside of the NG sphere?

I imagine we could do, but don't make it like the General equivalent. Since we're all musicians, we share what we find technically and musically sound, what we find difficult, and what it influences. Could that work?

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-06-06 12:46:03

At 6/5/16 08:51 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 6/4/16 05:51 PM, thebitterroost wrote: Any reconsideration for there being a running-on (a la the Audio forum lounge) "Now Listening" thread where we can share influences and such outside of the NG sphere?
I imagine we could do, but don't make it like the General equivalent. Since we're all musicians, we share what we find technically and musically sound, what we find difficult, and what it influences. Could that work?

i think it'd just end up with people writing lots of words about songs they like, with nobody actually reading other people's words or listening to their songs

it might be ok and produce interesting discussions though. who knows?! :)

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-06-06 12:48:51

At 6/6/16 12:46 PM, midimachine wrote:
At 6/5/16 08:51 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
i think it'd just end up with people writing lots of words about songs they like, with nobody actually reading other people's words or listening to their songs

it might be ok and produce interesting discussions though. who knows?! :)

It might be. Part of it depends on taste, and part of it depends on the willingness of people to participate. Of course, we'd have to have the link ready to the "How to make this sound?" thread, because inevitably with a discussion like this, that question will come up at some point.

Could we ad somewhere in the audio guidelines that asking for review/feedback/opinion shouldn't be confused with Begging for validation? Like be careful what you wish for?

I see alot of ego drama wars when the person asking can't stand the honest (slighlty harsh maybe?) opinion of someone else.
Maybe its a thing in an audio forum, the patterning in these behaviours?

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-06-07 10:30:39

The suggested genres are:

Easy Listening - Disco
Easy Listening - Soul
Electronic - Breakbeat
Electronic - Concrete
Electronic - Dub
Electronic - Electro
Electronic - Electronica
Electronic - Hardcore
Electronic - Hardstyle
Electronic - Ragga
Electronic - Synthpop
Electronic - Tape
Electronic - Trap
Hip Hop, Rap, R&B - Rap
Metal, Rock - Slow Rock
Other - Reggae

I agree with it..

Learn the Rules like a pro, so you can Break them like an artist.

Sig by homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-06-08 15:07:42

At 6/7/16 10:30 AM, Demonic-Overmind wrote:
At 4/15/16 11:11 AM, FrenZeon wrote:

i don't think that's a genre

Easy Listening - Disco
Easy Listening - Soul

yes

Electronic - Breakbeat

yes

Electronic - Concrete

put it under industrial

Electronic - Dub

put it under reggae (if it's actually dub and not just "chillstep" or whatever)

Electronic - Electro

put it under house

Electronic - Electronica

what even is this

Electronic - Hardcore
Electronic - Hardstyle

pick one, not both

Electronic - Ragga

put it under drum and bass

Electronic - Synthpop

put it under new wave

Electronic - Tape

why

Electronic - Trap

yes (am biased tho :v)

see above

Hip Hop, Rap, R&B - Rap

yea wtf why isn't this a thing when rap is literally in the category title already haha

pretty much all alt-rock fits into one of the existing NG genres

put it under punk

put it under... classic rock? maybe.

Metal, Rock - Slow Rock

we need a slow category for every genre!!! (jk we don't)

Other - Reggae

yes (you need this to put all the "dub" in!)
i don't like that ska has a genre but reggae doesn't, i feel like that's totally ass backwards.

especially if they meant "ska" as in ska punk like reel big fish n shit lmao

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-06-08 15:09:23

At 6/8/16 03:07 PM, midimachine wrote:

dam dood stop being so toxic

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2016-06-08 15:23:37

At 6/8/16 03:09 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 6/8/16 03:07 PM, midimachine wrote:

dam dood stop being so toxic

pls no banerino

p.s. i am gay

Electronic - Hardcore
Electronic - Hardstyle

Electronic - Hard Dance & Hardcore

There, that covers Hard Trance, Hard Techno, Hard House, Hardstyle and all the *core genres.

BBS Signature