00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Besthesda sues Mojang

4,819 Views | 71 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-08 22:58:48

FUCKERS!

I must calm down now...stress kills.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-08 23:20:38

Next thing you know...fuck it, can't really get worse than this. There isn't a case, a word is a word.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-09 00:30:17

At 8/8/11 11:23 PM, Travis wrote: People sticking up for Bethesda need to just look at the facts. Bethesda is already rich beyond imagining and Skyrim is going to sell extremely well as is. There is no reason for them to attack Mojang.

I think people should defend Bethesda because I don't think the people at Bethesda have anything to do with Notch being sued. It's either Zenimax or Bethesda's lawyers.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-09 01:06:51

I can see why the Besthesda lawyers are freaking out about this.

I mean, their new hyped up title is about to be released, known as Elder SCROLLS, and Mojang develops a game with the name Scrolls in mind at the last minute. This could potentially fuck up Bethesda's marketing (imagine the mixed results you'd get on Google and Youtube).

If it were a multi million dollar publisher that did that, then everyone would attack Mojang's position, but because they're an indie publisher, everyone thinks they're just getting bullied. Notch jumped into a field where he shouldn't be stepping, and he should just back off.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-09 01:21:54

At 8/9/11 01:06 AM, Greenfrost6 wrote: I mean, their new hyped up title is about to be released, known as Elder SCROLLS, and Mojang develops a game with the name Scrolls in mind at the last minute.

Glad you know the background to this. Notch actually knew he was going to name the game Scrolls before he even registered "Minecraft" as a trademark. He made Scrolls public a long fucking time ago. Even before Skyrim was announced.

This could potentially fuck up Bethesda's marketing (imagine the mixed results you'd get on Google and Youtube).

Haha, who's going to search for "scrolls" to find "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim".

If it were a multi million dollar publisher that did that, then everyone would attack Mojang's position, but because they're an indie publisher, everyone thinks they're just getting bullied. Notch jumped into a field where he shouldn't be stepping, and he should just back off.

Oh yeah, definitely... We can just somehow own single words in our 4 word title and then sue a company for using one of those words. I would defend any company with this. Notch is getting the publicity for this because everyone knows it's fucking stupid.

He shouldn't be using the word Scrolls for his game? He came up with that name a while ago and I'm sure he didn't get the name from The Elder Scrolls. Scrolls is a popular word in the English dictionary, why can't someone use it? I wouldn't back off from a name I wanted just because some other developer thinks for some bizarre reason that using one letter from their title would do some harm to them. The Elder Scrolls is a famous series, now going into it's fifth title. Gamers aren't stupid enough to mistaken Scrolls with The Elder Scrolls.

I can't disagree with you more.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-09 08:20:34

At 8/9/11 01:21 AM, Makeshift wrote: Haha, who's going to search for "scrolls" to find "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim".

No one but if you didn't know that the game was called Skyrim you would search for "The Elder Scrolls" and would likely get multiple results for the game Scrolls.

Oh yeah, definitely... We can just somehow own single words in our 4 word title and then sue a company for using one of those words. I would defend any company with this. Notch is getting the publicity for this because everyone knows it's fucking stupid.

Mojang was trying to trademark the name Scrolls which is how this started, they were the ones trying to own the word and because they submitted the application to do so about 6 months ago any search at that time for "The Elder Scrolls" would probably get just as many results for Mojang's game as for Bethesda's.

He shouldn't be using the word Scrolls for his game? He came up with that name a while ago and I'm sure he didn't get the name from The Elder Scrolls. Scrolls is a popular word in the English dictionary, why can't someone use it? I wouldn't back off from a name I wanted just because some other developer thinks for some bizarre reason that using one letter from their title would do some harm to them. The Elder Scrolls is a famous series, now going into it's fifth title. Gamers aren't stupid enough to mistaken Scrolls with The Elder Scrolls.

Gamers might not mistake the two games but Mojang can still generate a lot of money by using the name Scrolls and introducing their game to the public around the time that excitement is building over the soon release of Skyrim. Really this lawsuit has more to do with timing than the name itself although Mojang's attempt to trademark the name scrolls doesn't help the situation at all.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-09 08:42:43

At 8/9/11 08:20 AM, djack wrote: Gamers might not mistake the two games but Mojang can still generate a lot of money by using the name Scrolls and introducing their game to the public around the time that excitement is building over the soon release of Skyrim. Really this lawsuit has more to do with timing than the name itself although Mojang's attempt to trademark the name scrolls doesn't help the situation at all.

But this isn't the first introduction, they talked about it before in March. So it's not like they didn't have a name in mind and out of nowhere they selected scrolls.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-09 08:49:09

At 8/9/11 01:21 AM, Makeshift wrote: Glad you know the background to this.

Sorry officer, I don't actually play those games, see.

Haha, who's going to search for "scrolls" to find "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim".

Thanks for that Google trends lookup RWG.

Gamers aren't stupid enough to mistaken Scrolls with The Elder Scrolls.

A clever and intelligent gamer like you, yes, but let's face it, this world is full of stupid people, and that isn't even considering people who've never heard of either game before and want to check it out.

That's your opinion etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-09 09:06:49

bethesda is pretty egotistic thinking the word "scrolls" is synonymous with "the elder scrolls."

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-17 23:59:31

Looks like Notch is challenging Bethesda to a 3v3 match of Quake 3.

Link

Seriously though, this is a ridiculous lawsuit.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-18 02:31:19

Yeah, Notch challenged bethesda to a game of Quake or whatever (Totally undeucated about that game...) At quakecon, his best people versus Bethesda's best people.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-18 05:05:52

At 8/18/11 12:21 AM, logic wrote:
At 8/17/11 11:59 PM, B4574RD wrote: Looks like Notch is challenging Bethesda to a 3v3 match of Quake 3.

Link
Oh god why'd he do that, I'm actually humiliated FOR him.

What?At least it shows that he's not making a huge deal out of it..I don't have much respect for this man due to the Minecraft crap, and I fucking love Bethesda, but this lawsuit is ridiculous, you shouldn't be able to copyright single words from your game's title.
I wish all "silly" legal battles were solved in this way..although I'd prefer a 12 v 12 TF2 match myself.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-18 05:41:09

At 8/18/11 05:05 AM, HeavyTank wrote: At least it shows that he's not making a huge deal out of it..

What? Not making a huge deal involves quietly settling out of court, subtly changing the name or similar, and going on without bring it up. He knew this would get on kotaku, on reddit, on every major gaming website out there. He wants to make this into a huge deal.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-18 09:17:27

At 8/17/11 11:59 PM, B4574RD wrote: Looks like Notch is challenging Bethesda to a 3v3 match of Quake 3.

Link

I saw this today. This man is just a fucking joke.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-18 09:37:54

Like Jolly said, it most likely wasn't Todd Howard or anyone like that who sued him, it was Bethesda's lawyers or Zenimax. It's highly doubtful that the people working on developing the games have much to do with this.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-18 14:30:45

Bethesda, why aren't you suing him faster?

It ain't easy being cheesey.

Backloggd account | Letterboxd account

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-18 15:16:38

I don't know, I think more disputes should be settled via video game deathmatches.

They said I could become anything so I became everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-18 16:58:34

At 8/18/11 05:41 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: What? Not making a huge deal involves quietly settling out of court, subtly changing the name or similar, and going on without bring it up. He knew this would get on kotaku, on reddit, on every major gaming website out there. He wants to make this into a huge deal.

Well, I mean that he's not being an idiot about this, and frankly, he had the right to given the circumstances.
I know that this is a little bit of a publicity stunt, but Bethesda is entirely at fault here.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 00:25:05

At 8/18/11 05:41 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 8/18/11 05:05 AM, HeavyTank wrote: At least it shows that he's not making a huge deal out of it..
What? Not making a huge deal involves quietly settling out of court, subtly changing the name or similar, and going on without bring it up. He knew this would get on kotaku, on reddit, on every major gaming website out there. He wants to make this into a huge deal.

Exactly, I never even heard of this "Scrolls" game until this incident popped up. By blowing this out of proportion, Notch subsequently gains mass interest in his new game all the while also getting the sympathy factor from idiots. Of course business works in cruel and twisted ways but then again big business has always been cold hearted. The public wouldn't understand but Bethesda and Notch both know what they're doing. This is publicity pure and simple.

And now by trying to "resolve" this matter in a Quake deathmatch they don't lose face and also win the favor of those who like how they are trying to resovle this matter using videogames. I don't think less of either company for this. Skyrim is still on my wish list and Minecraft is still awesome. A piece of advice from me to you: Don't give a fuck about business matters that don't involve you.

But in other news the Quake thing actually sounds interesting, not because I care who wins but that it'll be an interesting match. I also wish that they would have done a 12 v. 12 TF2 or something like that, Quake's just not my cup of tea.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 01:36:14

Holy shit I have lost all faith in Notch & Minecraft in general now. A Quake match?

*Uninstalls Minecraft and plays oblivion*

i am gay

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 02:38:22

At 8/18/11 11:51 PM, logic wrote:
At 8/18/11 04:58 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Bethesda is entirely at fault here.
Whats the fault in suing over a copyrighted name? They have every right to, given it's the law. Notch should of done some research, I know it sounds unfair but It's just how things work.

I'm pretty sure you can't just copyright A SINGLE FUCKING WORD. jesus, it's like whem Facebook tried to copyright the words "face" and "book"

And what dumbass mistakes "Scrolls" for "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim"

They said I could become anything so I became everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 05:57:11

Mojang doesn't just want to use the word "Scrolls." They want to trademark it. That puts Bethesda up against the wall, legally, and forces them to take action. If you're upset about this, you should be upset at the law, not Bethesda. You need to look at the legal reality, if Bethesda did nothing, they could lose their trademark on "The Elder Scrolls", which would be disastrous. Better yet,
just read this article.

UNCLE///

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 09:28:27

At 8/19/11 12:17 AM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote:
I don't know about any of you guys, but that sounds fucking awesome.

Zenimax owns both Bethesda and id Software (the guys who made Quake, Doom, etc). Challenging them to a Quake match is so dumb you almost have to feel sorry for Notch, if he wasn't so greedy/lazy.

It ain't easy being cheesey.

Backloggd account | Letterboxd account

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 10:53:25

wait, what? he's trying to trademark the word itself? isn't that why most people are against bethesda doing this? because a company shouldn't be able to trademark one very commonly used word?

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 11:07:54

At 8/19/11 09:28 AM, IrishGun wrote: Zenimax owns both Bethesda and id Software (the guys who made Quake, Doom, etc). Challenging them to a Quake match is so dumb you almost have to feel sorry for Notch, if he wasn't so greedy/lazy.

This might mean shit is about to go down.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 11:12:15

At 8/19/11 10:53 AM, Death wrote: wait, what? he's trying to trademark the word itself? isn't that why most people are against bethesda doing this? because a company shouldn't be able to trademark one very commonly used word?

He'd trademark just using the word 'scrolls' for a game. Another game could still have the word in it, but not be called 'Scrolls'.

* Alex can be a girl's name. - Come talk to me. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 11:42:47

At 8/19/11 05:57 AM, UncleABCD wrote: Mojang doesn't just want to use the word "Scrolls." They want to trademark it. That puts Bethesda up against the wall, legally, and forces them to take action. If you're upset about this, you should be upset at the law, not Bethesda. You need to look at the legal reality, if Bethesda did nothing, they could lose their trademark on "The Elder Scrolls", which would be disastrous. Better yet,
just read this article.

It only took 10 days before somebody actually researched what was going on and posted the exact same thing I did. You guys must be really smart. (that's sarcasm in case you couldn't tell, most of the people on this thread are idiots who apparently only read the title and never bothered to look up the lawsuit)

At 8/9/11 08:20 AM, djack wrote:
At 8/9/11 01:21 AM, Makeshift wrote: Haha, who's going to search for "scrolls" to find "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim".
No one but if you didn't know that the game was called Skyrim you would search for "The Elder Scrolls" and would likely get multiple results for the game Scrolls.

Mojang was trying to trademark the name Scrolls which is how this started, they were the ones trying to own the word and because they submitted the application to do so about 6 months ago any search at that time for "The Elder Scrolls" would probably get just as many results for Mojang's game as for Bethesda's.

Gamers aren't stupid enough to mistaken Scrolls with The Elder Scrolls.
Gamers might not mistake the two games but Mojang can still generate a lot of money by using the name Scrolls and introducing their game to the public around the time that excitement is building over the soon release of Skyrim. Really this lawsuit has more to do with timing than the name itself although Mojang's attempt to trademark the name scrolls doesn't help the situation at all.

By the way, I got my information directly from Mojang's website so don't bother with any bullshit claims that I'm don't have all the facts. If Mojang left anything out it would be because it would make them look bad.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 17:47:43

Has anyone heard about Notch's response to the trial? He's doing a game of thrones type trial. A team of 3 deathmatch. Guess what the game is..Quake 3.

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 19:35:40

At 8/19/11 12:08 PM, logic wrote:
At 8/19/11 02:38 AM, Magic-Mushroom wrote: I'm pretty sure you can't just copyright A SINGLE FUCKING WORD. jesus, it's like whem Facebook tried to copyright the words "face" and "book"
You can actually, seeing as some games only have one word in their name.

And what dumbass mistakes "Scrolls" for "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim"
Scrolls
The Elder Scrolls

Your telling me that doesn't sound like a sequel? Specially to people who don't game much and might think '' Oh, maybe scrolls is part 1. ''

I know that sounds dumb, but that's how some people think and that's how the big companies see it going down, they have a right to try and prevent this from happening.

>Searches
>See's "Scrolls"
>Thinks it might be a prequel
>Clicks link, sees that it's an 8-bit game
>Lolnope, back button, disregard Scrolls

How hard is this to understand? You're making it seem like the second people see "Scrolls", then the next second they're going to but it without even looking at a single screenshot of it. Unless that is what people do, in which case I feel ashamed for being a member of this species.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 20:12:50

Scrolls can just get lost, I don't care.

My thing is Minecraft.