00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dewoco just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Besthesda sues Mojang

4,825 Views | 71 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-05 19:54:56

Apparently, they've sued Mojang for the use of the word "Scrolls" (their new game).

Jeez, this is like Facebook trying to copyright "Face" and "Book"

Link

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-05 19:58:41

Saw this earlier, its completely fucking stupid. Are they going to copyright a game because it has the word 'the' in the title next?

| Steam | AMD FX8320 - Asus 7950 - 8GB DDR3 - Asis M5A97 Pro - Xigmatek 750w - 120gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 500gb HDD -

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-05 20:05:47

Yeah, remember when Facebook wanted to trademark the words "face" and "book". I guess Mojang owns the words "mine" and "craft". Oh well, Bethesda doesn't really have much on Mojang, I don't see how they could win.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-05 20:08:51

It would make more sense if they were being sued by Blizzard.

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-05 20:17:11

At 8/5/11 08:08 PM, desert116 wrote: It would make more sense if they were being sued by Blizzard.

It would.

Besthesda sues Mojang

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-05 20:43:55

At 8/5/11 08:08 PM, desert116 wrote: It would make more sense if they were being sued by Blizzard.

This man is in trouble.

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-05 21:02:24

At 8/5/11 08:54 PM, logic wrote: What a load of bull, the creators of StarCraft might as well be suing them too if that was the case.

That's what the Blizzard jokes in this thread are about.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-06 00:48:00

Oh man they're fucked if these guys step in aswell http://www.uvlist.net/search?fname=craft

Also I think it's just their lawyers being dick offs rather Bethesda as a whole . I'm going to be pissed if anything ruins Skyrim.

They said I could become anything so I became everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-06 01:14:18

I hate Beth.

Besthesda sues Mojang

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-06 05:28:40

Firstly, the title is a lie. They aren't suing Notch, yet.

They told him when he tried to register "Scrolls" that it conflicted with their trademark. And it does, to be honest. It's a similar title, for another game. What Notch says about thinking it should be fine because the content is different is irrelevant. Trademarks have absolutely nothing to do with content, only the words. Plus, Bethesda has to defend their trademark if they want to keep it, and that means defending it against anything even similar to it. Notch knew all of that, and still proceeded to ignore the issue, so now they're telling him once again to stop using a name so close to their trademark, or they will have to sue him.

The guy knew it was coming, had plenty of time to prevent the problem, and then complains when Bethesda actually follows through? Trying to act like the innocent party in this, when it's his own fault. I will never understand why people give so much credence to Notch, the guy's an idiot.

UNCLE///

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-06 11:53:36

At 8/6/11 05:28 AM, UncleABCD wrote: The guy knew it was coming, had plenty of time to prevent the problem, and then complains when Bethesda actually follows through? Trying to act like the innocent party in this, when it's his own fault. I will never understand why people give so much credence to Notch, the guy's an idiot.

You're a fucking idiot. "Scrolls" is in no way conflicting with "The Elder Scrolls." That's like the makers of Doom sueing the makers of the indie game "Doom Rails."

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-06 12:06:16

At 8/6/11 11:53 AM, SloppyMoe606 wrote: You're a fucking idiot. "Scrolls" is in no way conflicting with "The Elder Scrolls." That's like the makers of Doom sueing the makers of the indie game "Doom Rails."

It doesn't matter if you think it isn't the same trademark, all that matters in this is what the law thinks. Notch shouldn't have even publicized a legal matter this way, this whole thing should have been handled privately. People are blowing this way out of proportion, mostly his diehard fanboys, the case will most likely be dropped anyway.

UNCLE///

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-06 12:29:07

At 8/6/11 12:06 PM, UncleABCD wrote: It doesn't matter if you think it isn't the same trademark, all that matters in this is what the law thinks. Notch shouldn't have even publicized a legal matter this way, this whole thing should have been handled privately. People are blowing this way out of proportion, mostly his diehard fanboys, the case will most likely be dropped anyway.

People are blowing it out of proportion as much as Bethesda has...they are worried people will confuse the two, which is just stupid, not to mention it's one word.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 06:59:15

Okay, what the fuck? I've never heard anything about this.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 07:38:03

I know this decision probably has nothing at all to do with Todd Howard, but I find this amusing, especially after the little interview thing that went on at E3 between Todd and Notch. They seemed to be pretty pally toward one and other, although I always got this impression that Todd was a little weirded out by Notch. He just didn't seem too comfortable sitting in that room with him. Maybe it's because he knew Bethesda was about to rob Mojang in the coming months.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 08:13:48

Iirc Bethesda hasn't actually sued anyone yet (I think it was just IGN being fucking morons and trying to get people to click onto the article by saying complete bullshit)

Knowing how publishers work though (I think its zenimax doing this right?) they might sue soon though if Notch doesn't respond quick enough lol

Notch hasn't really advertised the game much or released it yet so i dont see why they would bother suing

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 08:46:40

At 8/6/11 05:28 AM, UncleABCD wrote: Firstly, the title is a lie. They aren't suing Notch, yet.
The guy knew it was coming, had plenty of time to prevent the problem, and then complains when Bethesda actually follows through? Trying to act like the innocent party in this, when it's his own fault. I will never understand why people give so much credence to Notch, the guy's an idiot.

Because that is the stupidest fucking thing I have ever heard.

Seriously, by that kind of logic the guy who wrote the first fucking dictionary could sue the fucking planet over and over.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 08:58:24

Good hopefully they'll crush Mojang into the ground

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 11:50:56

Copyright law in general has gotten so ridiculous. Suing someone over single, individual words is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Shame on you, Besthesda, I thought you were more mature than that.

Don't pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 12:24:00

To me, I feel like either it's the lawyers who started this, or Notch has blown this way out of proportion as some sort of retaliation against bethesda. That's just me though.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 12:51:55

I don't even think this is possible.

They might think it is possible, but I think what they are doing is logically incoherent. Lawyers, aren't linguists, they don't know anything about the formation of the English language, so it would seem. Notch needs linguists not lawyers! Copyrighting grammar "the elder scrolls" is not even syntactically the same as copyrighting every lexicon "scrolls"! If anything "The Elder Scrolls" becomes a noun, to depict the game to which the copyright refers too. That does not then mean that every adjective, verb phrase, and lexis in that clause is then referring to the depicted noun.

The lawyers are fallacious.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 15:37:55

Notch was trying to patent the game name "Scrolls" if he received his patent he could have turned around and sued Bethesda for the same thing. They're just trying to protect themselves.

To protect the world from devastation.

kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 16:04:54

At 8/6/11 05:28 AM, UncleABCD wrote:

This guy is correct, stop being ignorant fucks and deal with it.

At 8/7/11 08:58 AM, Gasthecar wrote: Good hopefully they'll crush Mojang into the ground

I agree with this statement.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 16:08:11

That's just sad... is your budget really that tight that you have to sue over a word?

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 16:28:12

It's either Bethesdas lawyers or Zenimax. I doubt anybody that works at Bethesda would care.

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8519901309/
bethesda-are-suing-us-heres-the-full-sto ry

At 8/7/11 03:37 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: Notch was trying to patent the game name "Scrolls" if he received his patent he could have turned around and sued Bethesda for the same thing. They're just trying to protect themselves.

He could, but he most likely wouldn't. The only time he's ever time he's ever taken advantage of having "Minecraft" copyrighted is when there was an iOS clone and people kept mistaken it for being official.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 16:29:57

At 8/7/11 04:28 PM, Jolly wrote: http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8519901309/
bethesda-are-suing-us-heres-the-full-sto ry

Ignore that. I didn't bother looking at the link in the OP because I've already read about it.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 17:16:44

At 8/7/11 10:06 AM, MrPercie wrote:
At 8/7/11 08:58 AM, Gasthecar wrote: Good hopefully they'll crush Mojang into the ground
yeah, lets support the shitty betheseda suing a company that made millions for actually being good that maiing that utter shit they call elder scolls 4 and skyrim

God, just shut up before you embarrass yourself some more. The Elder Scrolls us a multi hundred million dollar franchise, and they are several weight classes above Mojang.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 21:27:03

At 8/7/11 04:28 PM, Jolly wrote:
At 8/7/11 03:37 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: Notch was trying to patent the game name "Scrolls" if he received his patent he could have turned around and sued Bethesda for the same thing. They're just trying to protect themselves.
He could, but he most likely wouldn't. The only time he's ever time he's ever taken advantage of having "Minecraft" copyrighted is when there was an iOS clone and people kept mistaken it for being official.

That could have been the other way around for Bethesda, people could confuse the Elder Scrolls with Scrolls, and if Scrolls was bad it could bring down the Elder Scrolls name. Mind you, only an idiot would get it confused but being an idiot is what people do best. If Bethesda has to sue they would win but I can't imagine it coming to that. IIRC that link only said they're threatening to sue not actually suing. But I guess we will see.

To protect the world from devastation.

kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-07 21:54:20

Ng, are you sure it isn't lawyers being lawyers? its not like the company said they are, just the lawyers.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-08 22:21:03

The damn lawyers give the company a bad name.