00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KushB just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Besthesda sues Mojang

4,818 Views | 71 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 22:43:30

I'll definitely mistake a game for "Grand Theft Auto" if it was named "Auto".

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-19 23:39:07

At 8/19/11 10:43 PM, Jin wrote: I'll definitely mistake a game for "Grand Theft Auto" if it was named "Auto".

Holy shit man, I found the prequel to Grand Theft Auto IV!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:S earch?search=full%20auto

They said I could become anything so I became everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-20 00:39:35

At 8/19/11 09:54 PM, logic wrote:
At 8/19/11 07:35 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: a
Yes, because games have never gone from 3D to arcade

I'm pretty sure people will notice it's a 2011 title. HERP DERP IT'S AN 8-BIT GAME EVEN THOUGH IT'S NEW, MUST BE A PREQUEL OLOLOL
You really make sound like retards.

Non-games could easily get mixed up and think It's part of the series.

So people who play Call of Duty will think a game called "Duty" is a prequel, just because it has a single word in common? Nope I think people are smarter than that.

How hard is this to understand? You're making it seem like the second people see "Scrolls", then the next second they're going to but it without even looking at a single screenshot of it. Unless that is what people do, in which case I feel ashamed for being a member of this species.
Get off your high horse, people with 10 times your intelligence can get mixed up if they aren't hardcore gamers. '' HURR DURR IM A GAMER I MUST BE A FUCKING GENIUS. ''

I'm not a "genius" because I play video games, I'm a genius BECAUSE I USE MY FUCKING BRAIN.

Lots of people buy things based on name, After I played fallout 3 I picked up 1 and 2 without looking at a single screenshot or video. Was i disappointed? No. But that's not the point, point is people can still get mixed up and as a company they have to protect what belongs to them.

That's your experience. I rented Fallout 2 and was extremely disappointed, because I don't like turn based games.

My whole point is that you're giving people way too little credit. I like to believe that the average human is smart enough to not get the two titles mixed up.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-20 14:31:13

At 8/20/11 02:21 PM, logic wrote: The average human is not a gamer, believe it or not we are a minority and people who aren't constantly on IGN or have their head in a game magizine WILL get mixed up. The world has a very big population, It's not very far-fetched that someone WILL get mixed up.

OK, let's say that someone could potentially confuse this game as an entry in the Elder Scrolls series, and yes, Bethesda technically has the right to pursue legal action if they think their trademark is being infringed upon. Do you really think Bethesda should win this case?

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-20 15:12:25

At 8/20/11 02:31 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 8/20/11 02:21 PM, logic wrote: The average human is not a gamer, believe it or not we are a minority and people who aren't constantly on IGN or have their head in a game magizine WILL get mixed up. The world has a very big population, It's not very far-fetched that someone WILL get mixed up.
OK, let's say that someone could potentially confuse this game as an entry in the Elder Scrolls series, and yes, Bethesda technically has the right to pursue legal action if they think their trademark is being infringed upon. Do you really think Bethesda should win this case?

How is their trademark being infringed upon.

I question, do lawyers know anything about the structure of the English Language. It seems when they have made this copyright law they have forgotten that the use of nouns is singular, they are LEXICAL ITEMS.

"Scrolls" As a noun. Is not, "The Elder Scrolls", as a noun. That's like saying a "Polar Bear" is a "Grizzly Bear".

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-20 15:16:38

At 8/20/11 03:12 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote:
At 8/20/11 02:31 PM, Jercurpac wrote:

But people who don't pay attention aren't generally the type of people who would be interested in The Elder Scrolls.

How is their trademark being infringed upon.

He didn't say it was, he just noted Bethesda's right to pursue legal action because they believe it has been infringed upon.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-20 15:23:46

At 8/20/11 02:21 PM, logic wrote:
At 8/20/11 12:39 AM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: You really make sound like retards.
Most people are pretty dumb, sad but true.

Can't really argue with that, I guess.

So people who play Call of Duty will think a game called "Duty" is a prequel, just because it has a single word in common? Nope I think people are smarter than that.
It's possible, you can't speak for the whole worlds population. Specially younger kids, whom might think so.

My point was that they might get confused for a minute, then see that the two games are obviously in no way connected.

I'm not a "genius" because I play video games, I'm a genius BECAUSE I USE MY FUCKING BRAIN.
You're not a genius at all, I'm not calling you stupid but damn get over yourself.

Notice how I put genius in quotations.

That's your experience. I rented Fallout 2 and was extremely disappointed, because I don't like turn based games.
Fallout 3 is semi turn based thanks to the use of vats, why would you been looking in the RPG genre if you don't like turn based anyway?

First off, why are we even arguing about this? Second, how the hell is a first person shooter turn based? Am I being trolled? Also, it's wrong of me to like non-turned based RPGs? What the hell kind of logic is that?

My whole point is that you're giving people way too little credit. I like to believe that the average human is smart enough to not get the two titles mixed up.
The average human is not a gamer, believe it or not we are a minority and people who aren't constantly on IGN or have their head in a game magizine WILL get mixed up. The world has a very big population, It's not very far-fetched that someone WILL get mixed up.

I don't read gaming magazines or go to IGN very often, I just have more than 2 functioning brain cells. Apparently the general population can't tell the difference between "Scrolls" and "The Elder Scrolls", so I guess I can't really win this argument.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-21 01:20:01

Logic is not applying logic here, if someone has an IQ of fucking 20 they could see the difference between "Scrolls" and "Elder Scrolls"

You're thinking that people couldn't even tell the difference between Minecraft, Warcraft, Starcraft etc. All because THEY HAVE THE FUCKING WORD "Craft" IN THEM.

Jesus, have a little more hope in humanity. People can be pretty stupid but what the hell, it's THEIR fault for THEIR stupid ass not being able to distinguish an apple from a coconut.

They said I could become anything so I became everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-21 15:54:54

"Scrolls - The Banana Expansion" sounds incredible.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-08-21 16:46:04

At 8/21/11 03:54 PM, Dromedary wrote: "Scrolls - The Banana Expansion" sounds incredible.

Oh Christ, fuck dis shit.

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-11-16 05:12:14

Holy fuck, all you faggots need to stop fanboying over companies and realize Bethesda sewing another company over a single word is fucking retarded and not "OH FUCK MOJANG AND MINECRAFT, ELDER SCROLLS ALL DA WAY!!!!1" or "MINECRAFT FTW FUCK FAGTHESDA"

You all need to grow the fuck up.

life can be real fuckin crazy

BBS Signature

Response to Besthesda sues Mojang 2011-11-16 05:52:11

First off... you all need to chill out. Calm down, debate in a civilized manner or don't debate at all.

Second... Bethesda isn't suing anybody, Zenimax, Bethesda's parent company is the one who released the lawyers.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature