00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LightyJaeger just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,068,293 Views | 77,366 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-09 21:10:39

At 12/9/11 07:36 AM, Tobi wrote: Hey guys. After browsing on some other metal forums, It's come to my attention Baroness is pretty disliked by most metal-heads. I don't understand why. I can understand saying they aren't metal (They obviously haven't listened to the First & Second EPs), but I don't get why they are called hipster metal (No hipster I've ever met knew of/liked them), or why so many people hate them. I personally love them, but hey, thats me.

I thought Baroness were liked by most metalheads, but it's true that I don't hang out with a lot of metalheads, so maybe my opinion of the community is kind of biaised by the Metal Hell :P

I still need to listen to Baroness though. Now that we are discussing them, might just be the best time to do so.

So, are there any bands most metalheads dislike that you do like?

Are we talking just metal bands or anything?

Generally speaking, Melodic Death Metal and Symphonic Black Metal are not liked by the true metalheads, but are praised by the most Melodic, Symphonic and most accessible metal fans.

So I like bands like Nightrage, Abigail Williams, Children Of Bodom, Darkane, In Flames (early work, cause seriously, they cocksuck the corekids nowadays), Soilwork and Threat Signal. These bands are disliked by a particular brand of metalheads who are more sophisticated maybe... or elitist (couldn't find a better word, but I'm not using it in a negative way), but are praised by the more accessible metal genres.

Not that Melodic Death Metal cannot be sophisticated. It can actually. But the more melodic sound, less progressive, with simple structures, not too many time signature changes, not chaotic, with a clean sound, clean production seems to attract a diferent public.

At 12/9/11 06:03 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 12/9/11 12:27 PM, Bahamut wrote:
At 12/9/11 07:36 AM, Tobi wrote: I don't get why they are called hipster metal (No hipster I've ever met knew of/liked them)
Speak to Oliver. He's a hipster that LOVES Baroness and Mastodon. :P
Motherfucker I am the one who introduced him to Baroness, I liked them before Oliver thought they were cool, Mastodon too.

So you liked them before it was cool...

hipster...

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-09 23:52:32

At 12/9/11 09:10 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
I still need to listen to Baroness though. Now that we are discussing them, might just be the best time to do so.

I can't reccomend any album/EP in particular. The earlier stuff is more agressive (First and Second EP), and the newer stuff, though being rock oriented, is still on par with their older stuff.

Are we talking just metal bands or anything?

Anything, I guess.

sophisticated maybe...

Maybe not.

or elitist

There you go.

I find I seem to usually like an era/album of a band that most people dislike. People seem to dislike Mike DiSalvo era Cryptopsy, but I think its their best output. DiSlavo, way I see it, is a perfect example of being able to put brutal and core in the same sentence. I could be kinda biased, seeing as I never like Lord Worm as a vocalist (but he's one of the best lyricists ever). People also seem to hate Blaze Bayley era Iron Maiden, but I think they put out some really good material out with him (Clansman, Futureal, etc). People tend to isolate In the Absence of Truth from the Isis discography, but I like it the most. I think it has the most variety of any of their albums, not to mention some really good electronic moments. I needn't remind you guys of Chameleon by Helloween, but Bahamut will probably agree with me on this release.

Also, I fucking cringe at people who actually think Illud Divinum Insanus is techno/dance music. These probably throw hissy fits when people call metal screamo.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-10 01:15:51

Just came back from seeing kyuss and the sword for a sceond time, feeling spoiled hehehe i got it for free from some contest thing they had on facebook.

Lost the love of heaven above, Chose the lust of the earth below

Eleven saintly shrouded men, Came to wash my sins away

Sig by Valjylmyr

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-10 06:14:15

At 12/9/11 03:34 PM, rockereaper wrote:
At 12/9/11 07:36 AM, Tobi wrote:
I love Morbid Angel, but the new album (Illud Divinum Insanus) is a fucking shame

There shouldn't be any shame with liking classic Morbid Angel but you wouldn't want to wear a Morbid Angel T-Shirt for a while. :P

At 12/9/11 06:03 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Motherfucker I am the one who introduced him to Baroness, I liked them before Oliver thought they were cool, Mastodon too.

lol what a hipster you are. ;)

At 12/9/11 09:10 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I thought Baroness were liked by most metalheads, but it's true that I don't hang out with a lot of metalheads, so maybe my opinion of the community is kind of biaised by the Metal Hell :P

In the real world, I only know two metalheads including my sister. A friend of mine knows all this stuff and has probably heard more metal than me at this point.

I dug Blue Record and I should pick it up. Listen to The Sweetest Curse!

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-10 10:06:51

I feel like I am being ignored, maybe hell just wasn't meant for me.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-10 10:29:10

At 12/10/11 10:06 AM, escobargames wrote: I feel like I am being ignored, maybe hell just wasn't meant for me.

Participate and/or start new conversations perhaps?

I don't know why you haven't been adressed by a Horseman, so I guess I will (Though I can't actually initiate you.

1. Vesania

Good

2. King Conquer

Deathcore is not recognized as metal within most communities, nor is it aviable for initiation here. Try the Metalcore/Nu-Metal Crew. You'll find a lot of people in hell also post there as well.

3. Cynic

Good.

4. Tesseract

Due to Djent's close relationship with metal/death -core, I don't know if it's accepted here. I personaly would, but I'm not a horseman.

5. Animals as Leaders

Good.

6. Forever Orion

Deathcore, sorry.

7. Tool

Some peope will debate on this, Tool is usually considered Progressive Rock, due to it's relationship with alt. rock. Iffy here.

8. Bulb

I guess you mean Periphery? I love em' to death, but I don't know if they pass. Good band either way.

9. Poison the well

Post-Hardcore is more related to Hardcore punk.
10. Entities
Djent

Only three of your bands really fit the terms of initiation here (with 3 djent bands that may or may not work). List 7 other metal bands, and everything will be in order.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-10 15:59:02

At 12/9/11 11:52 PM, Tobi wrote: I find I seem to usually like an era/album of a band that most people dislike. People seem to dislike Mike DiSalvo era Cryptopsy, but I think its their best output. DiSlavo, way I see it, is a perfect example of being able to put brutal and core in the same sentence. I could be kinda biased, seeing as I never like Lord Worm as a vocalist (but he's one of the best lyricists ever). People also seem to hate Blaze Bayley era Iron Maiden, but I think they put out some really good material out with him (Clansman, Futureal, etc). People tend to isolate In the Absence of Truth from the Isis discography, but I like it the most. I think it has the most variety of any of their albums, not to mention some really good electronic moments. I needn't remind you guys of Chameleon by Helloween, but Bahamut will probably agree with me on this release.

Cryptopsy's original line-up was praised as one the best death metal line-up to ever exist. Lord Worm's vocals were brutal, chaotic, unique. People seemed to enjoy his work a lot. And what happens when the vocalist of a band is one of the greatest appeal of the music and he decides to leave? Well... happens what happenned with Cryptopsy. Plus, their sound was very different. During DiSlavo's era their music became more heavy, but less chaotic, generaly slower and not as ear-shattering, and less focused on the fast and high (high as in high notes... I can't translate that properly) lead as in their work with Lord Worm. So if it would have been just Lord Worm leaving, I could have still liked their music, but it wasn't JUST that.

The example of Iron Maiden is good though. But if you do not focus too much on Dickinson's fanboys and fangirls and actually look into the metal community to know who liked the album and who didn't you might find a different portrait of the situation. You and I both know what diehard Maiden fans are like and how their fanbase isn't composed of metalheads only.

You know that these fans are stubborn, hypocritical and won't be able to appreciate anything that wasn't written and performed by both Dickinson and Steve Harris. To me, this is exactly like if Fall Out Boy would kick Pete Wentz (the emo bassist) out of the band. Fanboys and fangirls would just diss anything they would release afterward...

In my opinion, Blaze Bayley's work is not quite on par with Dickinson's vocals. And to give at least a little credit to those who criticized him, it's true that the comparison was innevitable. Maybe we are just used to Dickinson's vocals and we can't imagine Iron Maiden sounding any different. Yes, Maiden's uniqueness doesn't reside only in Dickinson's vocals, but even if the rest of the band was exactly the same, without his voice, it's just not the same. But to be completely fair with the band, what they released with Bayley was far from garbage and it's definitely still listennable.

As for ISIS, I really don't know what to answer. I love In The Absence Of Thruth myself. It's a great album and I think I'm not familiar enough with their fanbase to know what from their discography is cool and what isn't.

And about Helloween, I don't like Chameleon, but you could say that it's for a bad reason. I feel that most of their discography is composed of joke albums they knew they would sell no matter what, because they had already established their awesomness among metalheads. I find this to be kind of insulting.

If you are going to move away from your most epic sound and leave all the glorious journey's and fantasy world... that's fine. But it just seems like they are just trolling everybody with their work like Rabbit Don't Come Easy and Pink Bubbles Go Ape. Chameleon is not as bad as these two, of course but they still sound kind of silly on the record even if the track names are not as ridiculous.

Also, I fucking cringe at people who actually think Illud Divinum Insanus is techno/dance music. These probably throw hissy fits when people call metal screamo.

Dunno about that :O

At 12/10/11 10:29 AM, Tobi wrote:
At 12/10/11 10:06 AM, escobargames wrote: I feel like I am being ignored, maybe hell just wasn't meant for me.
Participate and/or start new conversations perhaps?

I don't know why you haven't been adressed by a Horseman, so I guess I will (Though I can't actually initiate you.

Quit stealing our jobs >:(

At 12/9/11 02:38 PM, escobargames wrote:
At 12/6/11 12:37 PM, Bahamut wrote:
I don't think you've been asked to make an application for the Metal Hell. List ten metal bands you know and one of the horsemen will decide whether you fit the Hell or not.
1. Vesania

Symphonic Black Metal? Ok !

2. King Conquer

Deathcore it seems. Nope.

3. Cynic

Awesome :)

4. Tesseract

I really don't know what to say about these Djent bands, They have some mathcore elements, some prog metal elements. I'd say they make the cut. But these aren't the most discussed bands in the Hell.

5. Animals as Leaders

Prog Metal, yes.

6. Forever Orion

I really don't know about them. Who are they?

7. Tool

Progressive Rock bands. Not a bad band, just not what we are looking for.

8. Bulb

I read on Last.fm that they are a Djent band, their band's picture is fucking epic :P Like Tesseract... I can't say I'm too sure about these...

9. Poison the well

Post-Hardcore. Doesn't make the cut.

10. Entities

Djent again.

See, if you would have listed only one Djent band, I really wouldn't care. But it makes up almost the third of your list. So I will ask you to try and find some more bands to replace the Djent bands. Also, Deathcore and Rock doesn't count also.

So you have, like Tobi said, to list 7 more bands, but avoid all "core" genres, rock and djent when you do your selection.

Subterranean Masquerade - Wolf Among Sheep (Or Maybe the Other Way Around?)

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-10 19:51:59

Speaking of melodeath, what are some bands that aren't completely generic? I'm sick of hearing the same Aeolian rape and palm mute/ accent note bullshit.

Also Duff, not to reignite old arguments or anything, but something you said a few pages ago has been bugging me. You mentioned a BM concert you went to and how some band was bad because they just tremolo picked the whole time, and yet when WITR does the same thing, you like it? Not quite understanding the logic here. Maybe you disliked it because you were actually seeing it live? Or perhaps its just favoritism, in which case, fuck favoritism.

Still haven't started the band yet, thinking I'm going to wait until after Xmas and such.

Igitur vir equorum stultus est cogito. caelum vir vocabam.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-10 20:53:34

At 12/10/11 07:51 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: Speaking of melodeath, what are some bands that aren't completely generic? I'm sick of hearing the same Aeolian rape and palm mute/ accent note bullshit.

Are Nightrage generic? I don't think so :)

Arsis are kind of cool
Darkane is pretty unique (Melodeath/Thrash)
Insomnium?
Quo Vadis, definitely :)

Also Duff, not to reignite old arguments or anything, but something you said a few pages ago has been bugging me. You mentioned a BM concert you went to and how some band was bad because they just tremolo picked the whole time, and yet when WITR does the same thing, you like it? Not quite understanding the logic here. Maybe you disliked it because you were actually seeing it live? Or perhaps its just favoritism, in which case, fuck favoritism.

Wolves In The Throne Room do it a lot, but all the time, that's just false. Wolves In The Throne Room are an Atmospheric Black Metal band, meaning they are trying to build something up on repetitiveness, monolithic sound, numbing effect... and blah blah blah. I'm not going through this again. That other band, was trying to be a Raw Black Metal act, but there was absolutely no variation. All riffs were lasting the same exact amount of time, the chords were never played differently it was always just tremolo picking the chords. Rock bands who repeat 5 chords throughout their whole album at least try to find different ways to pick the chords, but not these guys... not BlackScorn. Result is that what they are trying to do, doesn't come out the way it should.

Do you understand what I mean? Two bands can use the same picking method, but one will achieve much more than the other and sound way better. How? It's the way they do it, how they create build-ups, how they make their transitions, the personnality they put in their music.

The problem with is that you try to evaluate music based only on cold facts, like the picking method, the notes, the time signature change, etc.

You can compare two tremolo picking riffs with each other based only on these facts, because there is more behind it than the simple technicality and method used to play it. If one band manages to make a good transition between two chords, re-arrange the same chords in a different order in the track to make some kind of reminiscent effect, the originalit of the said riff is important to consider two. Why I can't stand BlackScorn and like Forteresse at the same time, is probably because one does it properly and the other doesn't.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-10 21:03:46

At 12/10/11 07:51 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: Speaking of melodeath, what are some bands that aren't completely generic? I'm sick of hearing the same Aeolian rape and palm mute/ accent note bullshit.

Intestine Baalism
Persefone

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-10 21:53:51

At 12/10/11 08:53 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
Are Nightrage generic? I don't think so :)

I think so, assuming I'm thinking of the right band. I consider them metalcore, I don't really like the vocals either. But I dunno, I know a bunch of bands that use the Night___ format.

Arsis are kind of cool
Darkane is pretty unique (Melodeath/Thrash)
Insomnium?
Quo Vadis, definitely :)

I'll have to check out the others, but Insomnium is what I'm trying to avoid. As I've said before, I like them a lot, but they really don't bring anything new to the table. It's kind of like with Death, they technically made melodeath, but without using the same scale and key as everyone else. They used the harmonic minor instead, my favorite scale.

I consider Insomnium a sort of poster child for melodeath, but obviously you can still be melodeath without sounding like Insomnium.

And you know, I was going to write some long ass explanation about black metal and atmosphere, but I realized you have no concept of what atmosphere is so I'm just done dealing with this. And the fact that you, a man who doesn't play guitar, can better analyze guitar music than an actual guitarist.

And you know Duff, on a lighter note. While I may say things like this a lot, realize that:

1) I am a hateful person towards just about everybody, so its not like im giving you a special treatment.
2) We are still brothers of metal, whether you like it or not :o

Thanks for the bands though.

And I'll also thanks Jay, I'll look at those, they sound interesting.

Meh, e-drama.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 03:19:37

At 12/10/11 09:53 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: I think so, assuming I'm thinking of the right band. I consider them metalcore, I don't really like the vocals either. But I dunno, I know a bunch of bands that use the Night___ format.

Yeah well, don't overlook them just because of the name. They are fantastic. And definitely not a Metalcore band. One of their albums is more pop-melodeath driven... but get Descent Into Chaos. it's in my top 3 Melodic Death Metal albums :)

And you know, I was going to write some long ass explanation about black metal and atmosphere, but I realized you have no concept of what atmosphere is so I'm just done dealing with this. And the fact that you, a man who doesn't play guitar, can better analyze guitar music than an actual guitarist.

I lol'ed. You can't have the pretetion to know something better than others just because you do that action. In one of my classes we study all the political implications of science, the nuclear bomb and a political approach to the scientifical method. Now what, you think a fuckin' scientist could drop by and tell us we don't understand shit because we don't do science? That's fucking stupid.

And you still don't understand what me and at least 3 other members consider to be Atmospheric Black Metal. We explained how the word atmospheric didn't really mean that it is supposed to be the only bm with atmosphere, silly billy. We explained that it was one type of atmosphere.

And any-fucking-way, I already told you I wasn't that big on Wolves In The Throne Room and that there is probably just like one track I really enjoy by them. So try to use good examples next time.

You have a pretentious way of understanding music, and I won't try to change you. You developped a clustered and close-minded approach to music, which is fucking sad.. and I can't seem to just make you doubt even a little. You have a specific set of belief, that is almost like a dogma and you refuse to understand that listenning to guitar is not like playing it. And that being able to describe all the technical (as in how it is done) part of playing a guitar... while it might help you, is no guarantee of your capacity to really grasp the feeling of a complete piece of art.

And you know Duff, on a lighter note. While I may say things like this a lot, realize that:

1) I am a hateful person towards just about everybody, so its not like im giving you a special treatment.

Work on that.

2) We are still brothers of metal, whether you like it or not :o

I don't hate you. I'm always on a defensive position with you because of your habit of attacking me whenever we have an argument. Reference: "And the fact that you, a man who doesn't play guitar, can better analyze guitar music than an actual guitarist." SporkLord, 2011 :)

Thanks for the bands though.

Quo Vadis are a very interresting band. Two of my favorite tracks by them are On The Shores Of Ithaka and Silence Calls The Storm.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 07:44:58

At 12/10/11 03:59 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: In my opinion, Blaze Bayley's work is not quite on par with Dickinson's vocals. And to give at least a little credit to those who criticized him, it's true that the comparison was innevitable. Maybe we are just used to Dickinson's vocals and we can't imagine Iron Maiden sounding any different. Yes, Maiden's uniqueness doesn't reside only in Dickinson's vocals, but even if the rest of the band was exactly the same, without his voice, it's just not the same. But to be completely fair with the band, what they released with Bayley was far from garbage and it's definitely still listennable.

There's the odd song from The X Factor that I always find forgettable while The Angel and the Gambler is an awful song. The repetition of the lyrics were really irritating. At least we had songs like Futureal and The Clansman on Virtual XI so it wasn't all a loss.

And about Helloween, I don't like Chameleon, but you could say that it's for a bad reason. I feel that most of their discography is composed of joke albums they knew they would sell no matter what, because they had already established their awesomness among metalheads. I find this to be kind of insulting.

The thing is, Helloween were always known for being goofy, even with album titles and even with their songs. Sure, you have tracks that show less dicking around but you can still find some really silly songs from the modern era. All I have to say is, Come Alive.

If you are going to move away from your most epic sound and leave all the glorious journey's and fantasy world... that's fine.

Oh, the fantasy-like lyrics are there, they're just nothing like how they were on the Keeper albums. At times it makes me sad they changed so fast after the release of Keepers II.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 09:41:37

This place is retarded. Of all the bands you said were in, they have influences on the genres of the bands you did not accept. All those I listed bands are in a sub genre of metal, and if you say its not real metal and its too core or djent then there is something wrong with you and you know nothing about music.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 11:47:19

Well, Devin Townsend's Deconstruction now has a VERY serious competitor for my album of the year. I've been listening to Vektor's Outer Isolation almost non stop lately, and it has blown me away. I'm still not sure if I prefer this or Deconstruction. It is going to be very difficult for me to decide come the end of the year.

At 12/11/11 09:41 AM, escobargames wrote: This place is retarded. Of all the bands you said were in, they have influences on the genres of the bands you did not accept. All those I listed bands are in a sub genre of metal, and if you say its not real metal and its too core or djent then there is something wrong with you and you know nothing about music.

Well, that's no way to make friends.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!

Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 12:20:42

At 12/11/11 09:41 AM, escobargames wrote: This place is retarded. Of all the bands you said were in, they have influences on the genres of the bands you did not accept. All those I listed bands are in a sub genre of metal, and if you say its not real metal and its too core or djent then there is something wrong with you and you know nothing about music.
Well, that's no way to make friends.

There are no friends on this thread, its just 3 or 4 peoples narrow musical taste that decides what metal is or is not.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 12:22:57

Core isn't metal it's a derivative of hardcore punk, if you're trying to say punk is metal you know nothing about music.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 13:02:08

At 12/11/11 12:22 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
Core isn't metal it's a derivative of hardcore punk, if you're trying to say punk is metal you know nothing about music.

If you talking about that one punk lick they play in their songs yes, nothing really more.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 15:26:22

At 12/11/11 09:41 AM, escobargames wrote: T

Many core bands have more influence from metal than hardcore. But of course there is no objective definition of what is metal and what isn't, so it's pointless to argue about it.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 16:19:07

Well, my review of Hell's Human Remains is up. CC welcome! I've been in such a slump lately when it comes to reviewing, so it makes me happy that I finally got another one up.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!

Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 16:51:52

At 12/11/11 03:26 PM, DeIirium wrote:
At 12/11/11 09:41 AM, escobargames wrote: T
Many core bands have more influence from metal than hardcore. But of course there is no objective definition of what is metal and what isn't, so it's pointless to argue about it.

Not really, I'd only say deathcore is possibly close to taking more influence from metal, metalcore is definitely more punk influenced.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 16:55:47

So I'm planning to see Dark Funeral on Jan 30th. to be honest i'm a little scared of going because i'm not really into moshing or beating the shit out of eachother while the band is playing

Lost the love of heaven above, Chose the lust of the earth below

Eleven saintly shrouded men, Came to wash my sins away

Sig by Valjylmyr

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 19:00:34

"Hey! I'm the new kid, I don't know shit about anybody in here, but I can objectively say that no matter how little I know about them, if they disagree with me, than the don't know shit about music."

Makes sense, right?

And you are not making a point with your argument anyway. Pearl Jam, UFO and Led Zeppelin influenced some Metal bands, that doesn't make any of these bands Metal.

We have reasons to believe that using the umbrella genre name metal is kind of a big stretch when it comes to Djent, so to avoid confusion, we asked you to list bands with a more obvious tie to the metal scene, that's all. You want to argue that Djent is Metal, fine. Maybe you will bring some going points, but that's not what we are trying to do when we are asking you to list ten metal bands. If you join the Metal Hell, then maybe you can argue with us and maybe make us genre our minds. I'm one of the Horsemen and I'm open to persuasion. If you have going points, good arguments, then yes, we could accept some Djent bands as Metal.

At 12/11/11 12:20 PM, escobargames wrote: There are no friends on this thread, its just 3 or 4 peoples narrow musical taste that decides what metal is or is not.

Do you have a last.fm or some sort of musical library of yours that I could see? Because I think we could have a little fun comparing our musical tastes and library, just to see who has the most narrow musical taste.

At 12/11/11 03:26 PM, DeIirium wrote: Many core bands have more influence from metal than hardcore. But of course there is no objective definition of what is metal and what isn't, so it's pointless to argue about it.

I am in favor of a more open definition of Metal. The point is that there is a great distance between the typical core music and typical metal (whatever that means), and we are trying to preserve some qualities, some specific traits of what we like about metal.

If someone comes in and make a list like this one to resquest admission:

Electric Wizard
Reverend Bizarre
Death
Morbid Saint
Decapitated
High On Fire
Bullet For My Valentine
Blotted Science
Boris
Enslaved

... I really won't mind the Bullet For My Valentine on the list. Why? Because we know that this individual knows Metal as a whole, and not just the trendy, accessible, modern over-produced and somewhat metal influenced bands.

So if someone drops by with a list like this one:

August Burns Red
Bring Me The Horizon
Bless The Fall
Born Of Osiris
Tesseract
Beneath The Massacre
As I Lay Dying
The Red Chord
Suicide Silence
Pantera

... I'm sorry, but I have to question the point of acceptin an individual like this in the Metal Hell... Why? Well, certainly not because there isn't any metal in that list. Cause there is, even if it's in a limited amount. The problem is that this individual doesn't know about Metal as a whole, the roots of metal, the aesthetics, the philosophy of metal.

I'm not trying to argue that the metal community needs to be a monolithic entity with a single unified philosophy. There can be some debates inside the community. But there is a problem when an individual just doesn't have the profile (and that can mean a lot of things) of a metalhead.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 19:41:11

At 12/11/11 04:51 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Not really, I'd only say deathcore is possibly close to taking more influence from metal, metalcore is definitely more punk influenced.

Since when does ripping off In Flames and Slaughter of the Soul make you punk influenced?

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 19:54:22

I don't even know why you're bothering writing such a long post dedicated to the little prick, Duff.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 20:03:50

At 12/11/11 07:54 PM, AllMightyBruce wrote: I don't even know why you're bothering writing such a long post dedicated to the little prick, Duff.

Well, maybe he's just pissed. I don't know if he's a prick or if he really just doesn't like our approach to metal music. Either way, I'm still going to try to explain myself. I mean, I still want us to be a welcoming group. We don't want to push people out of the Metal Hell based only on opinions. If he does like some other metal bands and if he accept to abide at least to the rule of listing ten metal bands to join the Metal Hell, then I don't see why we should keep him out.

If he keeps acting like he's doint right now though... I won't bother anymore. I'm just trying to give him a chance.

You think I'm doing it wrong? lol :P

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 09-15-00 (Part One)
this is still the most awesome Post-Rock band to ever exist :)

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 20:15:20

At 12/11/11 08:03 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: You think I'm doing it wrong? lol :P

I used to have the patience for stuff like that but I just don't anymore. It wore on me after a while. Especially having to explain things over and over again. If you've got the patience to do it then all power to you, man.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 20:25:14

At 12/11/11 08:15 PM, AllMightyBruce wrote:
At 12/11/11 08:03 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: You think I'm doing it wrong? lol :P
I used to have the patience for stuff like that but I just don't anymore. It wore on me after a while. Especially having to explain things over and over again. If you've got the patience to do it then all power to you, man.

I guess that's what the Horsemen have to do. Assume some kind of "leading" role in here.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 20:48:00

Trying to get more into power metal so if anyone has any power metal bands that are not well know ( I know of the more well known power metal bands that exist.) Of course recommend some CD's as well.

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.

Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-12-11 20:57:21

At 12/11/11 08:48 PM, Anti-pie wrote: Trying to get more into power metal so if anyone has any power metal bands that are not well know ( I know of the more well known power metal bands that exist.) Of course recommend some CD's as well.

Do you know Labyrinth? They have a great album named Return To Heaven Denied. It's absolutely fantastic :)