00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

urdad514 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Short Story Battles

6,582 Views | 102 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-16 15:05:33

If the no word limit gets out of hand, then I will make the necessary changes. Since we are in the preliminary stages of the entire process, I have no problem with no word limit.

On a more important side note, I have come up with some rules for the SSB threads. The initial post of every SSB thread will look something like this:

------------

Topic:
Deadline for submission:
Voting begins:
Voting ends:

The above times are Eastern Standard Time.

Voter Rules:
No person may post more than ONE time within an SSB thread. Please refrain from disucussing the ongoing battle, posting the current tally, or "root" for your favorite contestant. If you wish to discuss the SSB itself, please post within the Short Story Battles thread.

When posting in a thread with the SSB: prefix, please include the following:
-->Which writer you are voting for
-->Why you have decided to vote for that writer
-->Give feedback/criticism to at least ONE of the writers
-->Announce the current tally in the bottom of your post (ex. Spindrift23: 1 TrevorW: 3)

-----------

In order for these rules to work properly, your cooperation is necessary. So I kindly ask you guys to PLEASE follow these rules when posting in the SSB threads. I would much rather have the SSB threads a place where Writers can have a fun experience and better themselves in the process.

Also, remember that I will create each and every SSB thread. I have decided that only three battles can be going on at one time. Before issuing a challenge to another writer, please follow this LINK to check on the "Ongoing Battles." With both your participation and cooperation, we can turn this event into something noteworthy.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-16 19:34:49

I'd love to give it a go with someone for one of these, so long as I have a say in the topic I suppose. I don't want to be forced into writing something I really don't know anything about (cultural rebellion in east germany for example, I would be fucking helpless if I had to write under that prompt) but for the most part I'm game for about anything.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-16 19:48:36

Alright, Ass-Crumb, I will add you to the list of writers!

Also everyone, be sure to check out the updated banner located at the bottom of the Writers List! You can follow the link within my signature or simply click right here.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-16 20:07:39

At 2/16/10 07:34 PM, Ass-Crumb wrote: I don't want to be forced into writing something I really don't know anything about (cultural rebellion in east germany for example, I would be fucking helpless if I had to write under that prompt)

When I saw that, I almost pissed myself laughing. I couldn't believe (especially after seeing the themes for the poetry) that something like that would be the opening theme for the SSB, especially since HeroDan is allegedly only 14. Sounds more like a PhD title than a short story theme. That said, looking forward to seeing what the responses are.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-16 20:13:04

Keep in mind that the challenger chooses the topic for these battles. It's not like I pulled something like that from my rear and gave it to them to write about.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-16 20:14:34

Nah, I know. I'm not calling you out. Just made me laugh my nuts off, is all.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-16 20:18:09

Believe me, when the topic was suggested, my mind was also blown. I figured people would tend to move toward simpler topics. Something like "superheroes."

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-16 21:10:03

Haha! I am now officially in on this thang! Buuuuut... I'm too lazy to actually challenge anyone.

And too indecisive to actually choose a topic.

But know this one fact: I will win!

... something...
... eventually...
... hopefully...
... maybilly...
... I hope...
... yes...
... I...
... will...
... BECOME...
... THE TRIUMPHANT ONE!

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-16 21:16:57

Let's try to hold off on any challenges at this moment. I'm trying to determine if VhsTapeclock really would like to challenge WritersBlock.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-16 23:01:32

At 2/16/10 10:42 PM, VhsTapeclock wrote: Yes, I am serious.
Nothing personal against him, but I think he's overly revered and needs to be knocked off his high horse.

Lol, I wouldn't say he's overly revered. IMHO he's actually a great writer and deserves most of the praise he gets, if not all of it. To be honest I can't see you winning this one, but nonetheless good luck.

Speaking of which, I could use some practice since I haven't written alot lately. I'll pretty much take on any of you (And I'll obviously win because I'm fucking radical and you probably aren't).

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-17 08:25:51

If everyone could please hold off on challenging anyone until further notice, I would appreciate it. There are currently three battles taking place at this moment.

stimcrab versus HeroDan (cultural rebellion in East Germany under communism)
Dubbi versus Version2 (betrayal)
VhsTapeclock versus Writers Block (Action story)

Writers List/Ongoing Battles

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-17 10:48:54

At 2/16/10 11:14 PM, VhsTapeclock wrote: from 1-3 yeards ago. I'm a much better writer now.

Half an hour ago: "yeards"

As I mentioned when I posted earlier in this thread, my time over the next week is restricted. But seeing as the thread's already been made, it looks like my hands are tied. And seeing as you've already started the smack talk, I think it's high time I climb off my "high horse" and kick your arse.

But honestly, though, I'll probably just whip up something short and see how it goes. Good luck.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-17 14:52:02

I apologize for scheduling a battle for you WritersBlock; I should have reviewed the previous posts within the thread. I had knowledge of some people not wishing to participate immediately, but I did not realize that you were one of the people.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-17 18:40:33

I don't mean to double post, but it appears that some confusion may be caused by the links in a few of my posts. If you happen to click on a link that is supposed to take you to the list of writers and instead you find yourself viewing my latest news post, just make your way to the first entry. I was not thinking about this happening when I embedded some of the links in my post. The link in the original post of this thread and my signature are correct though, so I advise you to use those.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-17 21:38:19

Hey guys. I'm not a great writer, but I don't see myself as completely terrible, so if anyone who isn't totally serious about writing is interested, I'd be wiling to "challenge" anybody.

After a battle is resolved, of course.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-19 06:55:07

My story is almost done! Am I going to be the first person to post a story battle story? It's getting intense for me :P

So, I'm thinking that I might put up a PDF version on my site, so people can read the complete story without having to scroll thru multiple posts. Currently at 28K characters, which is 3.5 posts so far. I have to look up the post limit again.

Don't mind the link I'm about to post, I'm testing to see if I can link to PDFs my article manager creates from my site: Test.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-19 11:02:36

Ok, My story is posted, your turn Dubbi :)

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-20 12:58:41

If Dubbi needs an extension for our battle, I'm cool with that.

We need one of these to go down, otherwise this won't catch on :P

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-20 13:27:17

I did in fact extend the deadline for your battle upon Dubbi's request. I believe that I did post the new deadline within your battle thread.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-20 18:41:12

Oh, I meant to say another extension. He's not going to be able to start writing till sunday, and that only gives him 2 days I think.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-20 20:20:58

I'll leave it up to you and Dubbi to make the decision. Go ahead and ask him if he would like more time. If he does wish for more time, let me know and I will extend the deadline once again.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-21 15:17:18

Hey guys. I'm good for a battle whenever.

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-21 23:35:25

i might as well put my name in for a battle

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-22 01:29:14

I think I'm done with mine, got on a roll today, and I think it works really well as a whole, particularly with subtle train metaphors here and there. I'll read it again when I get back from work tonight, and I'll probably tweak it and post it then too. I haven't heard anything from vhstapeclock though, I'm guessing he's keeping everything under wraps. I'd hate to have worked on this story for this battle, only to have the guy that challenged me just skimp out on it. Only a couple of days left.

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-22 03:44:31

Are you sure only 3 battles at a time? Seems like quite a wait considering these take around a week or so to completely resolve (Mostly more, actually, considering Dubbi's for instance has had the deadline extended.)

The rules themselves feel somewhat restrictive, but that's another matter altogether. Main thing I have a problem with is that rule, considering these take quite some time to wrap up and all.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-22 11:20:26

"Painting Flames on Runaway Trains" is posted in my battle thread. I'm sure you've all been dyring to read it. :3

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-22 14:51:25

Ass, I suppose that maybe you are right. I just kept the number of ongoing battles small since I am the only one moderating the event. Would five battles be a better number for you?

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-22 15:24:33

At 2/22/10 02:51 PM, Spindrift23 wrote: Ass, I suppose that maybe you are right. I just kept the number of ongoing battles small since I am the only one moderating the event. Would five battles be a better number for you?

5 sounds like it'd be about right in the interim considering it is pretty much just you organizing everything. Easy to manage, but a fair amount nonetheless.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-22 15:34:46

Alright, then for anyone else reading this, I'd like to announce that a total of FIVE battles can take place at one time. I'll give it some time for challenges before I begin forcing battles.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-02-23 18:41:54

Ass crumb. I challenge you to a duel. Just because you said you wanted to to one, not anything personal x3

Its time to play games and jerk off. And Im all out of quarters.

BBS Signature