00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

EatMyShoes just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Short Story Battles

6,584 Views | 102 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-03-01 21:28:47

I don't really care who's doing it, but I see people challenging others left and right, but there is only 3 battles going on. We can do more than 3 at a time, somebody should start setting up a couple of new battles over the next couple of days. I don't want to wait till this time next year to get involved in another battle.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-03-01 21:29:57

I was not trying to be a dictator here or anything, WritersBlock. I'm honestly shocked by your post here. Although your post was strong and full of sense, it is not going to stop me from stopping the SHORT STORY BATTLES. If another competition started where two or more SHORT STORY WRITERS went head to head, I would have no control over it. But for anything SHORT STORY BATTLES related, I feel comfortable in controlling and stopping them. It's not like I would be mad if someone took the concept of SHORT STORY BATTLES and redid it with an alternate name. It would be just like what I did with TrevorW's Poetry Battles. SHORT STORY BATTLES may be on a hiatus, but if SHORT STORY WRITERS were to compete or BATTLE in an organized fashion, it's not my place to say that it shouldn't happen. Just SHORT STORY BATTLES.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-03-01 21:38:04

Now now WB don't fly off the chain in such a passion. It is, and always will be, HIS thread. I don't like that he didn't leave someone else like Fro or you in charge of this place for a bit but I respect his decision to bring things to a stop and so should you. Though I disagree that he can walk away and take his thread with him he has every right to do so. If he wants to lock this thread than all he has to do is call a mod in and that's the way it should be. The OP should have the power to bend HIS threads the way he sees fit.

And frankly I don't think he had all that much of a condescending attitude about it either. He merely asked for a slow halt to things until his next advent. It's not like he hopped on his high horse and demanded ridiculous things to be done in his absence. Though we are a community, we are not a charity case. We are big boys and if he wants to put things to a halt for a little while than I'm sure that each and every last user here has the maturity to accept and respect his requests no matter how opposed one might be to them.

Picture is related:

Short Story Battles

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-03-01 21:40:07

Well Said Hallowed.

At any rate, it's disappointing that this is coming to a halt. I would've like to submit something before the end...

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.

I love them both

"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-03-01 21:40:12

I'll create a temporary short story off thread and once you return I'll end it.

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing

Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-03-01 21:44:29

Thank you for understanding, HollowedPumkinz. And Dubbi, as my previous post suggests, I have no problem with that.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-03-01 22:03:29

At 3/1/10 09:38 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: It is, and always will be, HIS thread.

I spent 4 days writing my story for my Battle. I'm sure that WB, Dubbi, and the others have worked just as hard on their stories. This isn't just HIS thread anymore, sorry. If he can't do Short Story Battles for a while, he should pass it off to someone else, because this is where the people that are interested in competitive short story writing are coming.

And no, we shouldn't have to make a "Short Story Writers" thread. There are more people involved than just Spindrift, and it's frankly not at all important that Spindrift needs to head every thing titled Short Story Battles.

And yes, while Spin could certainly PM a mod and have this thread locked, that would be a dick move don't you think? How many people do you think would be upset if Trevor decided he was leaving for a week and had a mod lock the poetry battles? Yeah, he could do it, but he wouldn't be gaining anyones respect.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-03-01 22:06:27

At 3/1/10 10:03 PM, Version2 wrote:
And no, we shouldn't have to make a "Short Story Writers" thread. There are more people involved than just Spindrift, and it's frankly not at all important that Spindrift needs to head every thing titled Short Story Battles.

I'm running short offs untill Spindrift returns.... So no need to worry, Verison... :)

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing

Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-03-01 22:40:22

My next dick move is to stop the SSB completely. They never will return. Please discuss different insults to use against me and various negative facts that describe me in the rest of the duration of this thread.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-03-01 22:49:11

At 3/1/10 10:40 PM, Spindrift23 wrote: My next dick move is to stop the SSB completely. They never will return. Please discuss different insults to use against me and various negative facts that describe me in the rest of the duration of this thread.

1. your mother wears army boots.
2. You couldn't even get laid in Mass Effect.
3. Your writing is flat and flavourless
4. No mental image comes to mind when I read your stories.
5. you have a small penis.

The list goes on...and on...and on.

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.

I love them both

"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-03-01 23:35:13

I think a lot of people are overreacting to this, but all in all while this is an interesting thread, if it stopped running a number of people would be willing to step in and create something basically equivalent. I honestly laughed at spin's threat a bit...

"If you can't play nice I'll take away your toys for good!"

Spindrift probably heard that a lot from his militaristic mother, and now he's passing it on to us. Whilst wearing his mommy's army boots.

not that I am in any way insulting or demeaning the man.

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-03-02 00:03:12

At 3/1/10 10:06 PM, Dubbi wrote:

I'm running short offs untill Spindrift returns.... So no need to worry, Verison... :)

Can you post a link? This sounds like the only solution that i have heard that people agree on (to some extent).

Response to Short Story Battles 2010-03-02 06:54:37

At 3/1/10 09:38 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: I don't like that he didn't leave someone else like Fro or you in charge of this place for a bit

I know this is probably not your intentions but I don't want to run these things. And it may just have been that his wording seemed wrong to me, but whatever, I read it my way, you read it yours.

I just honestly think it wouldn't have been too hard to say "I won't be running these for a while, the tallies and all that, but if you guys want to write in your own battles, you're more than welcome to sort your own battles out amongst yourselves". I don't know, I don't really want to turn this into a massive bitch fest.

Personally, I just can't wait until this forum starts to calm down a bit.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature